PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft carrier bearing

eklips3
06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
alright so i was in the process of putting my drive shaft back in my car but before i did so, i spun the carrier bearing by hand and it spins oblong.

Imagine an oval spinning in a circle, thats how it looks.

Now i know this is not how its supposed to be , i can also pull the metal retainers on the outside of the bearing easily with my fingers.

Is it possible to change the bearing or do i have to get a new drive shaft ?

treezzy
06-30-2010, 11:49 PM
just get it re built into a one peice at a shop it costs around 175 bucks .

idk if thats the way you wanna go but its a legit set up .

projectRDM
07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
The bearing is not replaceable. Buy a one piece shaft and save weight too.

theboy
07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
dont bother rebuilding it. Its a waste of time and money. Go one piece and never have to deal with it again.

It can be replaced though if you dont want to go one piece.

They sell aluminum versions with a bigger better bearing as well to replace it.

eklips3
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
yeah i've been contemplating getting a one piece drive shaft but cant afford it right now.
but one thing i've been told by a mechanic is that if a drive shaft is originally two piece and you go to a one piece , then alot of stress is exerted on the output bearing in the transmission ... true or false ??

Zerolift Autolab
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I can help you with a Driveshaft Shop one peice for a good deal.
Please let me know if I can help.
Thank you,
Robert

codyace
07-01-2010, 02:21 PM
yeah i've been contemplating getting a one piece drive shaft but cant afford it right now.
but one thing i've been told by a mechanic is that if a drive shaft is originally two piece and you go to a one piece , then alot of stress is exerted on the output bearing in the transmission ... true or false ??

With how short ours are, it probably won't make much a difference...if anything it was more of an NVH choice on Nissans part more than anything lol.

Now on stake body trucks/big rigs then use you will use them, as of their total length and needed support.

g6civcx
07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I myself and many others have ran a one-piece propeller shaft for many years without problems to the transmission.

The first time I tried replacing the carrier bearing it was very expensive, and in the end it didn't work any way.

In the end it was much cheaper to get a DSS one piece and throw away the stock carrier bearing.