PDA

View Full Version : Getting your hood popped?

hdz123
06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
hey i plan on turboing the ka, is it worth getting a bottom mount t28 rather than a topmount t3 just so i can maybe "hide" the turbo? lol. i plan on doing all the piping black and making it look as close to stock as possible. Im just thinking if i ever get my hood popped I wont have to worry so much because its mounted below where you cant see it, as a t3 is smacked right on top in plain view. thoughts are appreciated :)

heavenboundkevin
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Getting your hood poped: I thought you were asking a sexual question.

id get a bottom, and indeed use black tubing to make it look nice. Here ill show you a pic using a SR20..hang on

oh sh!t it was this car http://zilvia.net/f/cars-sale/328328-89-hb-sr20det-3k-trade-coupe.html but the pics got taken down =[

hdz123
06-29-2010, 10:49 AM
haha well if a hood was a cherry i guess it could be lol

but yea pics would be nice :) i think it would be better for what im going for anyways, looking for around 250hp while reliable and decent on gas, im getting an enthalpy ecu tuned for t25/28/370/n60 so yeah

NISSANKiDdJDM
06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I thought if you had the stock motor in cali, that it didnt matter if they popped your hood? Maybe im just blazed.

hdz123
06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I thought if you had the stock motor in cali, that it didnt matter if they popped your hood? Maybe im just blazed.

I dont know what your asking lol. its gunna be a turboed ka

niteridaz503
06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
id say bottom mount and make sure you get a plate to keep you BMC nice and somewhat cool lol just spray that thing black too im going to do this when i do my swap to make it look somewhat legit lol

i♥boobies!
06-29-2010, 12:27 PM

well yeah if its completely stock
and any mods are illegal
and if the cops a dick then he'll bust you for it

do the bottom mount
you wont be as paranoid haha

voodoo_child
06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
turbos are not that small to hide. cops are not that stupid anymore when it comes to that, they know where to look. you get lucky if you get a cop thats not have any idea/ knowledge about engine mods. i met a cop once thats owns a 240. just be careful when driving and dont get too much attention.

aziankingz
06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
all cops has to do is look inside your cabin for a boost gauge, then under the hood for an intercooler or like some people say - 2 radiators lol.. and im pretty sure the piping with a huge bov is a dead give away.. just dont drive like a fool duh

Boostin 240
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Everyone keeps sayin (Dont drive like a fool) in CA and you should have no probs with police but how do you guys get your cars inspected and smogged then if your doing swaps. Im thinking about moving to CA in a couple months I have a fuel cell a role cage and an sr20 I guess I wont be driving my car much or registering it out there then. They wont just impound the car if I were to get pulled over would they ?

roboticnissan
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I have a rb20det in my s13 vert and I say its stock haha. Worked twice all ready. But strangley there looking on the intake manifold side instead of the exhaust. Weird. My advice is drive normal. Don't stand out and you won't get messed with. And if you do get pulled over don't be a dick and you prolly won't get popped

roboticnissan
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Everyone keeps sayin (Dont drive like a fool) in CA and you should have no probs with police but how do you guys get your cars inspected and smogged then if your doing swaps. Im thinking about moving to CA in a couple months I have a fuel cell a role cage and an sr20 I guess I wont be driving my car much or registering it out there then. They wont just impound the car if I were to get pulled over would they ?

Dude SR and RB engines pass smog LEGALLY in california bro.

Boostin 240
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I thought that the sr20 det was illegal because it did not come in any production car in the states with a turbo. Plus my car is far from stock looking I have overfenders silvia front and it bright f-ing green

voodoo_child
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Dude SR and RB engines pass smog LEGALLY in california bro.

lol yeah LEEEEGAAALLY!!!:axe:

hdz123
06-29-2010, 02:28 PM
yeah um rb and sr arent legal... haha

well i plan on painting the intercooler black too...i guess if theyre actually looking then youre fucked anyways. i think its more about me being less paranoid i guess haha (and i know im not going to drive like an idiot). okay so all i know is i want a bottom mount, i found a good deal on a enthalpy tune for my could be setup, t2/370/n60, or theres this ebay cast iron manifold Nissan Ka24 240sx Ka24de 89-98 Cast T3T4 Turbo Manifold: eBay Motors (item 350349398830 end time Jul-01-10 22:32:37 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350349398830&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123), claims to be bottom mount (yes i asked them) and tuned with apexi safc, avcr, and itc. my goals are around 250hp while being reliable, so whats the better setup? thanks

hdz123
06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
as for the gauges i want to make a custom screen that slides over them to cover them if i get pulled over, genius i know :) ill show pics when i get it done hopefully

Kaizen.
06-29-2010, 05:22 PM
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/Bmok916/roller2.png

I daily drive this all day everyday here in NorCal. Everything in this is illegal. semi-built SR, no cats, no resonators, one headlight, full tint, and i havent gotten pulled over since the motorswap. As long as you dont drive like a donkey your good. I drive waaay more safe now, feels like im driving around with a dead hooker stuffed with couple of kilo's of yay..always looking over my shoulder for cops =/.... i should get a real dailydriver

Kaizen.
06-29-2010, 05:22 PM
knock on wood

ranger240
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
does anyone remember the sport compact car (rip) magazine article with a stock looking honda that had everything hid by heat shields & stuff... the stock intake tube was used to hid the blow-off valve (if i remember correctly)

it was cool, a completely stock looking honda with 250hp... major sleeper

i think the article was in the issue that also talked about using holset turbos to 'charge ka24de's

edit: found it
http://www.modified.com/features/0602_sccp_1994_honda_civic_budget_boost/civic_specs.html

it'd be harder to hide stuff in a rwd engine bay like a 240, but cool ideas none the less.

maybe a supercharged ka24de could be faked as stock easier?

D.Adams
06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Do a bottom mount with a t28 and a sr20 SMIC. Get the heat shields and re cerculate the BOV. Dont drive like a tool and you will be good. You allready have two thing's going against you and that is one you own 240 and two you live in socal where the cops look for tuners.

I don’t think putting a turbo on a KA is illegal just as long as you can pass SMOG

hdz123
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
alright cool im doing bottom mount. anybody know where i can get a jdm kouki front? i need one asap i cant post in marketplace cuz im new. thanks

TougeLove
06-29-2010, 10:12 PM
I don’t think putting a turbo on a KA is illegal just as long as you can pass SMOG
[/FONT][/COLOR]

technically any modification to the engine/exhaust is illegal. even a muffler can get written up. would it fly in court? probably not.

OP- heat shields, and stock looking wires, valve cover, piping. i've seen some stock looking engine bays with 600+ hp it is an art.

I LUV MY S13
06-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Dejavu man, ive seen tons of these threads already.