PDA

View Full Version : HID kits illegal to SELL after 8/15?

SilviaDriver
07-22-2003, 09:14 PM
http://66.241.223.236/merchant2/merchant.mvc?

"It is our regret to inform you that as of August 15th, 2003, the sale and importation of aftermarket HID retrofit systems will most likely be prohibited by law. The NHSTA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID retrofit kits. Their guideline on determining the legality of HID kits is filament locations. But because HID technology does not utilize a filament, they fail. No matter how high quality the kit is, they deem them as unfit for retrofit.
This ruling will effect ALL HID kits. After 8/15/2003, HID kits as you know it will never be sold again unless new laws are made. I'm sure there are all types of legal issues here, for one, this has all been done without anyone knowing. After 8/15/03, there will be a possible $5,000 fine PER DAY for vendors selling HID kits.

Therefore, I need to move out ALL my inventory.

All HID kits are now on sale on our website. Parts will still be available and warranties will still be honored after the above date. After 8/15, only parts sold for warranty purposes will be allowed.

You will begin seeing a LOT of HID vendors out there selling kits to move inventory, but we still stress the importance of going with Liteswap/Catz. I am not sure of the future of Liteswap, but Catz will always be there for your warranty and replacement needs."

KiDyNomiTe
07-22-2003, 09:31 PM
didnt they want to get rid of all HIDs (in factory cars too).

IIRC its something about them bieng too bright, and looking like you are getting high beamed whenever the car goes over bumps.

zero.counter
07-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Thats truly phucked up man!

ca18guy
07-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Good... those damn things are always distracting me :mad:

JDM180SX
07-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Hmmm, interesting...but, who's gonna know if you buy one after that date? Or worse, are they gonna give cops the right to stop you if you have H.I.D.? I hope that it doesn't get too out of hand like so many other laws/regulations in this country. just my .02

-Eddy

SilviaDriver
07-22-2003, 11:23 PM
letter from CATZ
CATZ HID DEALER:

We want you to be informed of a Government investigation into the legality of ALL after market HID conversion kits. NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) is asking Importers, Suppliers and Manufacturers (CATZ is a Manufacturer and Supplier) to help them determine if the kits meet all kinds of regulations, standards, codes etc. and we are helping in this phase of the investigation.

If the kits are deemed non compliant, there will most likely be a recall. The recall will take place somewhere after August 15th 2003. Only Dealers would be required to return merchandise to us. End user customers will not be notified. If the kits are found to be non-compliant, it will be illegal to sell them to end user customers after August 15th 2003.

If the kits are found to be compliant, business as usual will commence.

We have been given the GO AHEAD by a representative in Washington to continue to sell the products between now and August 15th, and we are doing so, but with advisement to the Dealers.

Please call if you have questions.

CATZ USA Staff