PDA

View Full Version : is BB gun illegal to have in a CAR?

uLmighty
06-26-2010, 12:35 AM
ok, so last week i got pulled over cuz i was tail gating someone at the 4-way stop. i dint know across the stop sign was a cop and it was his turn to go but i dint c him till i got in the middle of the road. he busted a 180 turn like hella quick and pulled me over lol. when i reached in for my registration, i dint know i had a BB gun in my glove compartment but he dint c it n jst let me go.

i was watchin COPS earlier n this guy got arrested for havin a (real) gun in the car. i kno is a big difference between BB and real gun but could the cop be like yelling at me like he did on TV if he dint know it was a BB? like points the gun at me and yell out "STEP OUT OF THE CAR NOW!! GET OUT AND SLOWLY WALK BACKWARD TOWARDS MY VOICE!" ? that b funny shit

zx6r1852
06-26-2010, 12:39 AM
yeah funny till he puts a hole in head.. i carry my gun with me but it parts and they trip...

keistyle
06-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Yes it is...well. . how you had it. I think it needs to be in a case, unloaded, and must have an orange tip.

DataXUnknown
06-26-2010, 12:56 AM
It's all about the orange tip. Also if it is clear that helps too. I wouldn't ever keep it in your glove box. If it does not have an orange tip that is visible you will probably get shot by an officer someday.

Although I just simply wouldn't carry one around ever.

I had a beretta M92 gas airsoft gun, fully metal with blowback and everything nice and heavy, looked like the real gun perfectly. There was no orange tip. I had left it in my backpack in 8th grade from an airsoft war I had the night before. A girl saw it when I had opened my backpack and thought it was real, she told her dad, dad told the principal, I was expelled from 8th grade. Police were there they searched me and everything.

Keep it in a case or something

mrmephistopheles
06-26-2010, 10:28 AM
ok, so last week i got pulled over cuz i was tail gating someone at the 4-way stop. i dint know across the stop sign was a cop and it was his turn to go but i dint c him till i got in the middle of the road. he busted a 180 turn like hella quick and pulled me over lol. when i reached in for my registration, i dint know i had a BB gun in my glove compartment but he dint c it n jst let me go.

i was watchin COPS earlier n this guy got arrested for havin a (real) gun in the car. i kno is a big difference between BB and real gun but could the cop be like yelling at me like he did on TV if he dint know it was a BB? like points the gun at me and yell out "STEP OUT OF THE CAR NOW!! GET OUT AND SLOWLY WALK BACKWARD TOWARDS MY VOICE!" ? that b funny shit

You're stupid.

ANY police officer that values his or his partners' safety will treat ANY gun like its real. They'd be stupid to do otherwise. BB, airsoft, model, toy, etc. It's not worth the risk to be complacent and assume that an object that looks like a gun isn't real.

By the way, 'not knowing' about something in your car does not absolve you from liability. If your best friend from the 3rd grade rides in your car one day and leaves an ounce of pot in your car 2 years ago, guess whose pot it is. Yours.

You are 10000000% responsible for EVERYTHING in your car.

It's all about the orange tip. Also if it is clear that helps too. I wouldn't ever keep it in your glove box. If it does not have an orange tip that is visible you will probably get shot by an officer someday.

Although I just simply wouldn't carry one around ever.

I had a beretta M92 gas airsoft gun, fully metal with blowback and everything nice and heavy, looked like the real gun perfectly. There was no orange tip. I had left it in my backpack in 8th grade from an airsoft war I had the night before. A girl saw it when I had opened my backpack and thought it was real, she told her dad, dad told the principal, I was expelled from 8th grade. Police were there they searched me and everything.

Keep it in a case or something

TROOOF.

It's not worth risking your well-being, freedom, etc by being careless about your behavior.

Err on the side of caution. If there is a question about something possibly not being kosher, don't do it.

CleanAndLegit
06-26-2010, 11:02 AM
actually you can theres nothing illegal about it
i carry m4's m16's scar's mp5's p90's etc
alot
and when we get popped and theres guns NO orange tips

they tell us to spray em orange :p

i guess its cause we're kids

Sileighty_85
06-26-2010, 11:05 AM
If you do decide to keep it in the car or Glove box

The first thing you should do if you get pulled over is to tell the officer that you have a BB Gun/ Real Gun in the glove box if you have to open it to get the registration. DO NOT REACH FOR IT, Keep your hands on the steering wheel and listen to his instructions.

That way he wont pull a gun on you and make you eat pavement

Daniel.
06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
actually you can theres nothing illegal about it
i carry m4's m16's scar's mp5's p90's etc
alot
and when we get popped and theres guns NO orange tips

they tell us to spray em orange :p

i guess its cause we're kids

Wow.

Next time you get pulled over by a cop who actually cares about his own life, you're going to be on the wrong end of an officer involved shooting.

PNgo12
06-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I believe if its a real gun you can't have it in the glove box. Doesn't it have to be visible? Like literally it has to be next to you sitting shotty or else they consider it a concealed weapon if its in your glove box.

dawagarage
06-26-2010, 04:09 PM
how about you listen to someone (myself) who has training in the rules of deadly force, rules of engagement, who carries real weapons on him 'out in town', who has a concealed weapons permit, & who has been pulled over with more than one weapon in the car, and who has been mistakingly but justifiably drawn upon.

the first thing you should have done in your situation before you reached for your registration was to say something along the lines of "im sorry, my registration is in the glove compartment but i also have a bb gun in there." then, he would have told you what to do from there. by reaching for something that resembles a deadly weapon, the officer would have been completely justified to 'draw on you' (point his gun at you.) so on this occasion you were lucky. how was he to know you WERENT reaching for what appeared to be a real pistol?
so onto the 'is it illegal to have a bb gun etc in the car?' it is not, but if youre pulled over you should most definately inform the officer of its existence in your car, especially if its not in the case. if its in the case, you should be fine. out of sight out of mind. in regards to the 'orange tip,' Under federal gun law, toy guns must be manufactured with a 6 mm orange tip at the barrel end. it is also illegal to paint a real gun as if it were a toy.
I believe if its a real gun you can't have it in the glove box. Doesn't it have to be visible? Like literally it has to be next to you sitting shotty or else they consider it a concealed weapon if its in your glove box.
if it is a 'real gun,' you are allowed to have it concealed if you have a concealed weapons permit. when i am pulled over, along with license/insurance/registration, i provide the officer with my concealed weapons permit. hunters, for example however, dont need concealed weapons permits, as long as they dont conceal their weapons. but in that occasion it would be wise to keep said rifle/shotgun in the trunk or 'out of reach' so that it poses less of a threat to the officer.

here's your lesson to those of you that have the bb guns/airsoft, etc: keep it out of reach and out of sight. best to put it in the trunk or back seat. when pulled over, keep your hands on the steering wheel until otherwise directed, (i also like to turn on my cabin light out of courtesy to the officer,) dont make any sudden movements. and inform the officer if your toy gun is within sight or reach so as to not startle him

dawagarage
06-26-2010, 04:46 PM
^You spelled "boy" with an "i". Your statement carries absolutely no validity to me.

Shut the fuck up, you're being a stuck up know it all.

yes, please judge me on a username with an origin of more than 10 years (or 4 on this forum.) while @ the same time spelling "it's" with a z? how childish?
anways, im far from stuck up. what the fuck is your problem? im informing people based off experience, facts and laws instead of what they think or hear? there is nothing stuck up about that, im just trying to be helpful. and how did your post help this thread any?

Matej
06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Years ago, my friends and I were skating around the city, and one of the fellow bros had a BB gun or a pellet gun or whatever it was. Another goofy friend took it and started shooting it at walls and such.
Apparently it was caught on a security camera somewhere, and a few minutes later as we were leaving we were pulled over on top of a highway bridge by at least six police cars, with a helicopter overhead, and officers aiming rifles at us.

I miss being 16.

dawagarage
06-26-2010, 04:55 PM
yep, y0u said it br0

ayuaddict
06-26-2010, 05:13 PM
ya'll need to calm down.

dawagarage
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
sorry...ill seek anger management classes first thing monday morning

uLmighty
06-26-2010, 05:42 PM
ya, i should have told him about it. i jst dint realize i had it in there cuz whenever i go fishing i take it and i left it in there. good thing he dint see it tho. i was just wondering what he would do if he seen it cuz i was watch COPS n this had his gun while gettin registration.

i was wit my mom that night too lol maybe he dint get that suspicious cuz he knew i was wit my mommy haha

Ineedparts
06-26-2010, 06:22 PM
If you let the officer know that you have a gun on you, you will most likely not get in any trouble. As long as its registered, legal and "aint got no bodies on it" you should be okay.

ILLES13
07-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Actually real bb guns don't even come with orange tips. One time we were having a photoshoot of my car and cops rolled up, and i forgot i had my bb gun rifle in my trunk and i absolutely shit my pants although they didn't bother to even look through my car.

Anyways to the OP, it's always good to know what's lying around your car. Had i been in your situation, being the bitch i am. i would have ran out of my car screaming. and dove head first into the cop car.

I LUV MY S13
07-02-2010, 04:11 AM
i think even with an orange tip they'd trip, its a look alike..so yeah, i think he'd make a bigass deal

stockbee
07-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow, after reading what some of the laws are in other states, I'm kind of glad I live in Kentucky. We are allowed to carry weapons in the glovebox compartment as long as it would take two steps for us to get to and prepare the weapon for fire.

If you're concealed you can carry it in your butthole if you want, but they're pretty lenient.

It's also a good state for emissions as we have none. I'm not a fan or destroying our environment but it helps save money and cut down on wasted time if you are a fan of motor swaps and automotive stuff in general.

DALAZ_68
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
last i heard...if it came with orange tip (which i believe all BB's do) and ir was tampered with (removed) it also brings in heafty fines...

kevinphan
07-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Almost was shot by a cop when we got pulled over, cop asked why we had plastic pellets and I said we have a BB gun and reached for it and threw it on the driver seat, it's white and orange. Cop was so slow in response, he realized what it was then unclipped his gun and said I woulda shot you 50 times before you coulda said another word...

Didn't know glocks with regular mags had 50 bullets in them... Either way it was hilarious, ever more so when I'm dead.

uLmighty
07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
LOL wow. i was thinkin of that woulda happen to me too. it woulda been funny if how he got all crazy over a BB gun but then again i wouldnt want to get shot and killed.

RurouniMidnight
07-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah once me and my good friend were pulled over in his car at a redlight and i was in the passenger seat. The night before we had this crazy airsoft pistol battle royal on a nearby golf course with these heavy duty really real looking 45 pistols and i guess this was before the orange tip law cause these didn't have anything like that, straight up silver with black grips and removable clips etc. haha. Anyhow yeah my buddies sister left hers in the back seat so when we were pulled over my friend was talking casual with the police officer then out of know where i guess he spots the airsoft and draws his gun on my friend and like in a instant theres another cop car pulls up on my side and draws on me telling us to get out of the car slowly, and my friend is yelling its a fake gun lol kinda crazy.

So def explan to the cop you have a bb, airsoft gun whatever if your reaching for something especially or could be a very bad situation.

WanganRunner
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
If you do decide to keep it in the car or Glove box

The first thing you should do if you get pulled over is to tell the officer that you have a BB Gun/ Real Gun in the glove box if you have to open it to get the registration. DO NOT REACH FOR IT, Keep your hands on the steering wheel and listen to his instructions.

That way he wont pull a gun on you and make you eat pavement

^^
This.

I used to keep a big nasty looking lockback knife in my glovebox (which probably wasn't the best idea). I really only kept it for utility reasons, not as a weapon. The only time I got pulled over when it was in there, I told them that before I opened it, I wanted to let them know that I had a knife in there that I sometimes used to pry open my gas filler door, etc. They said it was cool, and there was no drama.

Glovebox is bad though. Keep it somewhere else, preferably in the trunk, unloaded.

TurboSE
07-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I was told by a cop that you shouldn't keep anything but paper in your glove box. My OEM jack broke on my Durango and I threw the base of it in my glove box so I could reweld it. I forgot about it til I got pulled over and when I opened my glove box, the cop saw a black, shiny, metal object he pulled his gun and a huge ordeal ensued. After I was face down on the sidewalk with a lot of apologizing, the cop was very cool about it. Since then, I've even replace the black leather wallet I keep reg./ins. papers in with a gray one. I don't blame the officer at all...I should've thought about my actions. He also told me, people have been shot for having black plastic ice scrappers in their glove box.

ddf2006
07-04-2010, 10:31 PM
i asked my my friends mom (she's a sheriff) and she said best thing to do is keep it out of reach, and always tell a cop that its in the car. Because if a cop feels threatended he will use force. your gun may not be real but his IS lol. I asked is it ok if i keep it on the floor in the back and she said thats ok just tell them.