PDA

View Full Version : What is needed to run Z32 MAF?

teh smithers
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah, kinda noobish(really noobish) but doesn't hurt to ask. Just upgraded to a GT2871R, and I've read that running the Z32 MAF was pretty essential. What all do I need to fit it/run it? Thanks.

cleantune
06-22-2010, 08:51 PM
z32 pigtail and.....

thats it! :]

teh smithers
06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
No air intake adapter plate?

lazysk8er2
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
sounds stupid but a tune might help!

teh smithers
06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Does it have to be tuned right away?

nismolvr
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
your ECU has to be tuned to be able to use z32 MAF data,other wise it will not run right. This has been covered ,search .

codyace
06-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Does it have to be tuned right away?

Unless you want to buy another engine, yes

teh smithers
06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Alright, thanks.

codyace
06-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Alright, thanks.

Realistically, to even make power on a 2871r, you should have the following:

-72lbs/740cc injectors (or 500/550 cc for 350 max wheel, but really why bother)
-Z32 or Cobra MAF
-Upgraded Clutch
-Most importantly --- a good tune:
R.S. Enthalpy: Nissan ROM Tunes, ECU Reflashes and Dyno Tuning. Tampa Bay, Florida. (http://www.rs-enthalpy.com)
or
JIM WOLF TECHNOLOGY, INC. / NISSAN PERFORMANCE / NISSAN RACING /INFINITI PERFORMANCE (http://www.jimwolftechnology.com)

And on another note, you've been a member here now for 2 years nearly...and you haven't yet read any faq's, or searched? I *wish* I had such resources available when I first got my car running...

teh smithers
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Created the account and forgot about it, because I've been using a local forum. Still, it's irrelevant.

Would I be better off getting the stock ECU tuned as mentioned above, or getting something like an E-Manage Ultimate and going from there?

240sxvaj
06-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Something Like Enthalpy is your best bet, i have it on my ride and been running strong. they tune for z32maf and your turbo. Emanage is like a super piggyback which controls fuel and i think timing, but for something like emanage you would still need to pay more to get a dyno tune. so think about it.

codyace
06-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Created the account and forgot about it, because I've been using a local forum. Still, it's irrelevant.

Would I be better off getting the stock ECU tuned as mentioned above, or getting something like an E-Manage Ultimate and going from there?

Enthalpy, Jim Wolf are the way to go. You can also buy a used ECU for your setup. Usually it's 50-100 for either to reflash it to your setup :D

-Cody Ace

teh smithers
06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Cheap. I'm assuming that I'd just ship them the ECU, and they'd ship it back. Thanks for the help.

codyace
06-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Or they can even send you the chips to install yourself, really cutting down on 'wait time'.

Just make sure when you buy an ECU, that the plug are the same (white or blue)

zurud
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Piggyback like safc or emanage is another option.

handinpants
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
don;t buy a jim wolf ecu, they sell crap.... if anything look into nistune, there are a few guys on here which offer those services, and i am sure you will find someone in your area who can tune it at a reasonable price.
the car won;t run right with the z32 maf, you need to tune it to that maf.

projectRDM
06-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Why do you say Jim Wolf sells crap? I ran a JWT ECU for over a decade, as did a ton of people before other options came out. In 1995 there wasn't another option unless you went full standalone.

They do tune for more conservative mixtures, richer and safer, but that doesn't mean they're crap, you just won't make the same power as an Enthalpy or piggyback tune. Unless you have someone who can dyno tune the specific car and it's upgrades, erring on the side of caution isn't a bad thing.

VNG704
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
holy search button!

codyace
06-25-2010, 01:45 PM
don;t buy a jim wolf ecu, they sell crap.... if anything look into nistune, there are a few guys on here which offer those services, and i am sure you will find someone in your area who can tune it at a reasonable price.
the car won;t run right with the z32 maf, you need to tune it to that maf.

So why does Jim Wolf sell crap? I'd love to know. THat's like saying you hate Thai food but never trying it.

JWT and Enthalpy ECU's are so damn close in this day and age, that (heck I proved it myself the other week) they are both darn near even in regard to power production. Both are super safe, reliable, and easy to deal with.

hdz123
06-28-2010, 06:49 PM
not trying to threadjack but u got your answer anyways. could i run a t25 on the ka safely with piggyback tuning? i have Apexi SAFC, Apexi AVC type R, and the Apexi ITC

K_style
06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
I am against with Rom tune ECUs but.. it sure is cheaper than getting Dyno tuned..
I used have RS Enthalpy Rom tune ECU after I got S14 SR with Z32 maf
It ran good and strong. I was just very unhappy with MPG though (17~18mpg)

but I am getting my money back everyday since I got Dyno tuned @ Garage BOSO by Frank
Currently getting 26~28MPG with 550cc GT2580 1bar boost with very very good amount of power LOL

I am a happy customer of Garage BOSO

S14DB
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
not trying to threadjack but u got your answer anyways. could i run a t25 on the ka safely with piggyback tuning? i have Apexi SAFC, Apexi AVC type R, and the Apexi ITC

For about 6 months...

With the quality of rom tunes today, Piggybacks are a waste of money.

hdz123
06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
sorry im also a noob and have searched, but if i get a enthalpy ecu tuned for my setup, will i also need it dynoed to make it run efficient and safe? thanks

K_style
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
sorry im also a noob and have searched, but if i get a enthalpy ecu tuned for my setup, will i also need it dynoed to make it run efficient and safe? thanks

If you get Rom tune. there is no need for dyno for additional tune.
If U do dyno, you cant change any settings anyways.
you will just get HP #s thats all

codyace
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
If you get Rom tune. there is no need for dyno for additional tune.
If U do dyno, you cant change any settings anyways.
you will just get HP #s thats all

But he can log, email Martin, and then have no chips sent. So while he can't change on the dyno, it is infact upgradeable to a degree.

And rom runes work great for street cars. Poor fuel milage is odd, as every JWT or Enthalpy car I play with gets great fuel milage (low to mid 20's mixedd, 30+ highway)

K_style
06-30-2010, 12:57 AM
But he can log, email Martin, and then have no chips sent. So while he can't change on the dyno, it is infact upgradeable to a degree.

And rom runes work great for street cars. Poor fuel milage is odd, as every JWT or Enthalpy car I play with gets great fuel milage (low to mid 20's mixedd, 30+ highway)

My point was,
How the Tuner (JWT or Enthalpy) would know what exactly engine needs for additional tuning even car gets Dyno'd for other set of Rom ?

In addition, about bad gas milage. When I got Rom tune from RS Enthalpy, They told me they do not like to tune Z32 MAF with stock injectors. maybe thats why I got bad gas milage.

K_style
06-30-2010, 12:59 AM
For about 6 months...

With the quality of rom tunes today, Piggybacks are a waste of money.

That is True !!!!

I am strongly disagree with using piggyback unit...