PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about an S13 KA24DE header

Arro
06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Ok so I bought an S13 KA24DE header:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/arrospeed/S12_Tech/S13_KA24DE_header.jpg

I'm sure lots of you have seen or even used one that looks just like it. But why are there two O2 bungs?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/arrospeed/S12_Tech/O2_bungs.jpg

One of them is smaller than the other, too. So the original oxygen sensor is only gonna thread into the upper one. Which ironically came with an O2 plug (also pictured). Now I would think the better location would be the lower one, so it would be reading two runners instead of just one. But then I'm also curious which cylinder tends to run leaner than the rest, and if that's why the bung is on runner #2.

I'm sure this has come up before, but search didn't turn up anything.

?????

nicho919
06-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Pyrometer or a wideband o2 sensor.

blacks13coupe
06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I believe 1 hole is for o2, 1 hole is for egr, and 1 hole is for AIV.

projectRDM
06-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Exactly. AIV and EGR are the same size ports.

modulation
06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Exactly. AIV and EGR are the same size ports.

The EGR is behind the manifold. The hole faces the firewall (it's the one that a tube by itself.)
The IAV is the lowest hole on the manifold. On stock exhaust it's on the lower piece. The hole faces the driver side fender.
The other hole that faces the driver side fender on the same heights as the EGR tube hole, that is in the middle is for the o2 sensor.

EGR takes hot exhaust gases during certain times and puts them back into intake manifold.
IAV takes clean air from before the MAF (the stock airbox tube) and under certain idle conditions takes "clean" air and put its before the cat to help heat the cat up during idle so it can do its job better.

As projectRDM said, the egr and IAV are the same thread.

Sileighty_85
06-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Dude are you a fucking moron? No they aren't.

The EGR is behind the manifold. The hole faces the firewall (it's the one that a tube by itself.)
The IAV is the lowest hole on the manifold. On stock exhaust it's on the lower piece. The hole faces the driver side fender.
The other hole that faces the driver side fender on the same heights as the EGR tube hole, that is in the middle is for the o2 sensor.

EGR takes hot exhaust gases during certain times and puts them back into intake manifold.
IAV takes clean air from before the MAF (the stock airbox tube) and under certain idle conditions takes "clean" air and put its before the cat to help heat the cat up during idle so it can do its job better.

HAHA caught you before your Ninja Edit.

!Zar!
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Ding, ding, ding!

nismoracingsx
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
lol. nice.

modulation
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM
My name is Sileighty_85 I like other men. I love them sexually

Caught you before your ninja edit.

Sileighty_85
06-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Caught you before your ninja edit.
what are you 8?

Arro
06-24-2010, 01:45 AM

Ok for the KA-newb, lemme ask... I have a '95 KA24DE (S14, OBD 1.5), but of course this is an S13 KA24DE header. I don't have an IAV on the '95.

Why did Nissan remove it?

projectRDM
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Not needed. They realized it was more of a culprit for later problems, and by revising the cam profiles and tuning it wasn't as effective anymore. Plus, the converter is much closer to the engine on S14s, meaning it heats up much faster anyway.

xs042lol
06-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Not needed. They realized it was more of a culprit for later problems, and by revising the cam profiles and tuning it wasn't as effective anymore. Plus, the converter is much closer to the engine on S14s, meaning it heats up much faster anyway.

nice, i thought it was EGR shit when i did my s14 megan into s13 header. then realized it was totally different but never looked into it. Can i just delete it with a vacuum cap for the air pipe and a resistor for the wired plugs and then cap off the vacuum lines?

tommytwo40hands
06-27-2010, 03:49 PM
just plug the bottom hole, you'll be fine.