PDA

View Full Version : Most cost effective way to drop the front end another 1/2" on struts/springs?

sirfallsalot243
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Ill cut right to the chase- my s14 needs to be lowered another 1/2" up front for aesthetic reasons only. I am satisfied with the way it handles at present, and most importantly- the ride quality is excellent. My car is a daily, not a drift car. My goal behind it is to make a mean street car- something that sacrifices nothing in the pursuit of better performance. Ride quality is essential, especially with the notorious PA roads.

That being said, Im looking into what my options are for bringing it a little lower. Current setup is KYB AGX's on Eibach pro-kit springs. The way I see it, i have three options:

1. Cut springs.
2. Replace springs.
3. Buy front coilovers.

I think replacing the springs would be my best option- I was hoping someone who is familiar with the different brands and models of lowering springs could help me pick something out, and maybe offer their own opinion on springs theyve personally used. I DO NOT want my ride quality to suffer much, if at all.

The Eibach pro-kit is supposed to be about a 1.4" drop. I think that's a bit liberal- id say it was closer to 1". Because of this, Im a little nervous going by what the manufacturers say it will drop. I could just order 2" drop springs, but with the eibachs being almost a half inch off, id rather hear from some others before i make a purchase.

Id go for coilovers, but aside from them being the most expensive option, Im also concerned about ride quality with them. I had a Honda back in the day on coilovers that handled like a go-cart but rode like shit. Not trying to repeat that.

Here are some pictures of how it currently sits. Please note that the rear tire in these pics is a 255/40, and I am now running 255/35's.

sirfallsalot243
06-16-2010, 12:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/IneedabettrBike/26cdb726.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/IneedabettrBike/73836b4f.jpg

Homer_Simpson
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Short stroke struts and new springs. Even then the short stroke struts has their limitation so you wont be able to dump it on the ground.

fliprayzin240sx
06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Tein springs were some of the lowest springs that you can get...I'd run those or hack a coil or 2 off the spring.

I hacked my Eibach ones back in the days...

sirfallsalot243
06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Tein springs were some of the lowest springs that you can get...I'd run those or hack a coil or 2 off the spring.

I hacked my Eibach ones back in the days...

I honestly wouldnt mind hacking the springs as a temporary thing just because its free- but how bad did the ride get? I'd probably only take one ring off each side if i went that route. I know its ghetto, and I know i'd be a big honda fanboy (lol), but i HAVE heard from some people that if you only cut them a little bit, and keep the metal from heating up too much, that the ride quality doesnt suffer TOO badly. I'd assume it'd be more bouncy, but I can adjust the dampening a bit to compensate.

But for the ~$100 i could spend on new front springs, it seems that would kind of be a worthwhile investment- ONLY if I can definitively determine which springs would be right for me. Aka, which springs would be around a 2" drop from stock, or 1/2-3/4" lower than the Eibach Pro-kit (which is a 1.4"). You recommended tein springs- they make all different types of springs.. different spring rates, different drops, im looking for a specific recommendation... make and model type of thing.

Like I said, SUPER LOW is NOT my intention. Im not even tucking tire right now, on 18" tires. Im just trying to bring the tire to about even with the top of the wheel well... close the wheel gap a bit. Even if theres still some gap there, im okay with it, but theres about 1" right now. The rear has about 1/2" of wheel gap. My biggest concern is going TOO low. I'd rather be too high than too low!

Ive got about 70% of what I need to swap in my SR, and my KA's rear main seal is leaking like a siv- not trying to drop the trans and replace the main seal on a motor that im trying to replace asap, so the less money I spend on the rest of the car, the sooner I can get the SR in. I'm losing about a quart a month thru the main seal... Im praying itll last me long enough to get the SR in.

With that in mind- what would you do? Suck it up and deal with the semi-lame stance until the SR is in? Replace the springs and push the SR back (again)? Or cut the springs, and continue forward with the SR?

Another thing I thought of- the SR is significantly lighter than the KA, no? I'd assume this will affect how high or low the front of my car will sit... should I go a little lower than I want right now, expecting the front to raise up a little when the SR goes in? Or is the difference in weight negligible?

g6civcx
06-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Cheapest: cut springs. Keep in mind that the spring rate will change and you may not get the ride quality you're looking for.

Easiest: coilovers. You can try a stock set and put it on full soft and see how you like the ride quality. You can always spec out custom ratios to your taste. Not the cheapest but the best way to dial in what you want.

Compromise: swap out springs.

Omar1913sm
06-17-2010, 10:33 AM
if anyone has their front shocks to sell pm me please.. need to get some quick

sirfallsalot243
06-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Omar, I'll sell you my oem front shocks. Pm me.

nismoracingsx
06-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Just swap out your pro's in the front for a pair of sportlines, they should be roughly half an inch lower. Its the red springs, i believe.

GL

sirfallsalot243
06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Just swap out your pro's in the front for a pair of sportlines, they should be roughly half an inch lower. Its the red springs, i believe.

GL

See, thats what I was thinking- but my first car was a 91 Integra on sportlines, and the thing was SLAMMED. You dont think the sportlines will be more drop than Im looking for?

nismoracingsx
06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
from what i've heard, their actual effective drop is around 1.5-1.6 inch. You said you were only getting about an 1.0 inch from the pros. My .02

fliprayzin240sx
06-19-2010, 05:45 AM
I was running sportlines...cut a coil and a half off the the spring to lower it a bit more. Ride actually felt more firmer after doing so.

This was before I cut a coil off my sportlines...
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1256/4981/3139990026_medium.jpg

I think this was after i did...
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1256/4981/3139990076_medium.jpg