PDA

View Full Version : Coilover issues

cramms
06-15-2010, 04:26 PM
OK so when I got my car it already had coilovers on it, problem is the car is so low the tires are rubbing on the wheel well. I wen't to raise and suprise suprise the coilovers were not properly maintained and now the adjusting rings are stuck , and cannot be raised.

What would be the best way to get them unstuck without damageing them.

Slidin' Sam
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
1) wd-40
2) Flat head screw driver
3) HAMMER
4) End Thread.

cramms
06-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I know this may sound dumb but im reluctent to use my imagination on where the screwdriver would be placed.

So in a little more depth where do i put the scredriver etc.

dsastr_clan
06-15-2010, 06:02 PM
that happened to me once, the collar rings seized up on the thread where you adjust the height, no matter what i did to them, flat screwdriver, wd 40, pb blaster, heat gun, fire torch, drill a hole and spray pb blaster and let them seat for a week, microwave them, rund them over with a semi truck i could not get them loose so i sold them and bought a new set.

cramms
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
wow that would suck Imm going to pray mine come loose

dsastr_clan
06-15-2010, 07:26 PM
what brand are they?

Jonnie Fraz
06-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Wrenches a plenty (http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=coilover%20wrench&dds=1)

One of these should do you

cramms
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
They are Stance Pro, and I have the wrenches

Slidin' Sam
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
put a flat head screw driver on the face of the collar. The collar is notched, for your special collar wrench. Place the flat head in one of the spots the collar wrench would grab on, then beat the shit out of it with a hammer. make sure you are turning the collars the correct was as well.

chucky norris
06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
yeah that happened to me to
just use some wd 40 and hit that shit

ManoNegra
06-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Flat head + hammer = fucked up collar
I used the shaft (lol) from my jack to provide additional leverage to the coilover wrench
after soaking the sucker in Liquid Wrench for ~20 mins.

cramms
06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
I thank you all for your advice

Slidin' Sam
06-16-2010, 12:40 AM
For a one time use it's fine, plus, there are multiple grabbing points on the collor, so you can do it many times in different locations if you want to and it's fine. I know A LOT of people who do this to tighten/loosen collars as opposed to using the specialty wrenches.

Jonnie Fraz
06-16-2010, 10:49 AM
For a one time use it's fine, plus, there are multiple grabbing points on the collor, so you can do it many times in different locations if you want to and it's fine. I know A LOT of people who do this to tighten/loosen collars as opposed to using the specialty wrenches.

I have seen this done plenty of times also, but like ManoNegra has said it screws up the collors. I think a wood block, or a scrap of aluminum bar would serve better if you needed to hit them.

dawagarage
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
lubricant + time. then, spanner wrench and preferably a mallet but a hammer will do if you dont have one

dsastr_clan
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
the problem in here is that it doesnt seemed to be the collar what has seized up, i think is the threaded shaft of the coilover has seized up onto the bottom part of the coilver.

aznpoopy
06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
that happens pretty often actually.

tap (not hit) the body with hammer to see if you can vibrate it loose a little. spray in a shitload of penetrating lube. pb blaster ftw. let it soak and seep down into the threads. overnight maybe.

get alot of grip on the threaded shaft (multiple dudes with gloves or use two locking collars locked against one another for leverage), jam something on the bottom and start turning.

if that doesn't work, then no choice but to take coilover off the car and put it in a vice.

cramms
06-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Well friday is my day off, ll try to get some picks of whats sticking asumming i get to it with my engine problems .

Pandapants
06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Hitting the collars with a hammer and any type pick-screw driver thing could just turn the shock body. Still worth trying, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work