PDA

View Full Version : RPS13 180sx from Australia - I'm coming to USA!

KoukiRPS13
06-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi guys,

My name is Jonathon from Australia. I have a SR20 Nissan 1997 180sx with a few mods making 350rwhp (pics attached).

That however is not the reason I joined this forum. I am actually coming to USA next year and I need some tips and I hope some of you are kind enough to give me some advice... Basically I will explain what I plan to do and I hope you can give me some pointers or tell me if I am going in the wrong direction.

My plan:

Early July next year, fly into LAX... I then want to buy a car locally for around US $2,000. I want to buy something very American (we do not have US cars here so I am excited at a big V8!)... Maybe a convertible or something? If not a sedan. Is $2,000 reasonable to buy a car? Also will I need to purchase registration or does this transfer to me when I buy the car? Can I purchase insurance locally? (I only plan to stay around 3-4 weeks).

Once I have purchased a big American car, I want to spend some time in LA (want to see Compton and South Central LA - is this safe for a 25 y/o Australian male?) then drive North from LA to SF, stay there approximatly 2 days before heading to LV. I want to spend a good 3-4 days in LV (party up!). I would then like to take Route 66 and see some of the southern states (is this a good idea or do you think I would be better going northen route).

The final destination will be NY but I am up in the air on which states to drive through on my way to NY... I would like to see Washington, not too fussed about missing Florida (would love to go but don't think I would have enough time and LA and NY are my priorities).

This may or may not sound odd, I would like to purchase a gun at some point and go shooting somewhere bottles or something. In Australia people seem to think you can purchase rifles at super markets in the US. Not sure if this is true but if so can I really just pull over in the desert and shoot up some cactus? I have never really seen a gun so this is really appealing to me.

Does 3 or 4 weeks sound like long enough to see LA, NY and a lot between during the drive?

2 x friends will be coming with me, we will stay in road side hotels when and where we can and possibly sleep in the car if we have too.

The main questions I have is about the car purchase/insurance/registration.

Also very interested on your suggestions on where to go and what to see! I look forward to hearing from you guys... Here is my car.

It's not letting me upload high res photo's - have a look at link below if you wan't to see car.

Thanks guys

Nissan 180sx Type X - Hardtuned.net (http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=445045&st=0&p=5770507&hl=2422&fromsearch=1&#entry5770507)

Finchie
06-14-2010, 03:00 AM
I think for $2000 you can get a V8 Caddy or something lol, but your not going to get anything nice. I am unfamiliar with California's car laws but you can read up on them here California Department of Motor Vehicles (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/).

You will be fine in Compton and South Central LA if your not a pussy.

As for the route to take to NY, any state in the central part of the US is boring (excluding Texas if you count that as central/south).

States I recommend you go to are Arizona (Pretty much shoot any gun in the desert), Colorado (beautiful), Texas (literally shoot any gun you want), Florida (has awesome theme parks), Not much in the south but rednecks, soul food, and swamps.

Yes, in Arizona, you can purchase a gun at walmart or any sporting store really. You don't even need a permit or license of any sort, put money in the cashiers hand and walk out with a fancy new gun.

fliprayzin240sx
06-14-2010, 03:00 AM
$2,000 for a car with a big V8 on it thats gonna be reliable enough to drive cross country? Good luck on that one. Most cars you will find for that price will be buckets that I'd be wary just to drive to SF or Vegas from LA. Cross country...FUCK NO.

How do you plan on registering a car when you are not a US resident? I've never heard of a tourist registering a car when they have no US address or license. This goes the same thing for guns, you wont be able to get a gun with out being a resident atleast.

White male tourist in South Central by yourselves with no guides...I'd say another FUCK NO. Nothing to see out there that you cant see by going on google map and dropping the orange guy on the street.

Do yourself a favor and use the money to get a rental car...

Finchie
06-14-2010, 03:03 AM
I agree with him^ get a rental car. You can rent an awesome american V8 car for waaaay less and have way more fun with it :ddog:.

KoukiRPS13
06-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I'd really like to buy a car... if it's not possible I will rent but don't want to rule out buying at this stage... if it's too unreliable, maybe not a V8 but surely there would be mid 90's Chryslers/Chev's etc which would be reliable enough to drive cross country?

Not sure how your rego system works which is why I asked, really want to understand what I need to do to legally drive the car there... which is why I am asking.

fliprayzin240sx
06-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Explanation of how things work when you buy a car why I say dont do it. You buy a car, you give the person the money, they give you the car and title, you try to register it at the DMV...what address are you gonna put on the registration? I dont think they'll take your Australian address.

Then, you have to pay the tax and registration fee...since you bought the car, they'll tax you lets say 8-9% of what you paid for the car plus registration fee of atleast $250 (CA IS FUCKING EXPENSIVE ON REGISTRATION), then you still have to smog your new car. The best part, with all the BS going on in CA, you'll probably waste a good amount of time trying to register it at the DMV since you will be standing in line for 3 days to get to the front desk, just to hear them tell you no.

On top of all that, time to get insurance. Again since you are not a resident with no legitimate address, how do you think they'll give you insurance?

Your best bet, get an international driver's license (probably not needed since the US probably recognizes Australian drivers license as a tourist) and get a rental car. Buy rental car insurance from them and thats it. Easy and fucking painless....

LimeLite Racing
06-14-2010, 03:26 AM
I read this whole story with an australian accent in my head. Super clean 180!!!!!!

ESmorz
06-14-2010, 03:29 AM
I'd fly into SF and then drive down to LA spend 3 days there and then drive to LV if it were my money, it's alot more of a straight shot so you're not making zig zags all over California. It's a big fucking state. More practical time-wise too.

Also, why do you want to buy the car so bad? Plan on being Steve Mcqueen on Route 66 and blowing shit up?

Rent a Camaro, get the rental insurance, and be done with it.

Take it easy Road Warrior.

o4jhHoHpFXc

Mikey213
06-14-2010, 03:39 AM
HAHAHAHH Why would you want to see Compton? There's nothing special there and there's nothing special here in SC. You'd probably have more fun in Hollywood or Sunset area

KoukiRPS13
06-14-2010, 03:50 AM
A few years ago we watched a movie, Fear and Loathing in LV. Since then, we have all had this dream to go the US, buy an old 80's or 90's American car and make our own way through America.. I understand this might not make any sense to you, as it may also make no sense to you why I wan't to see Compton but growing up in Australia watching movies like Boyz in the Hood as a teenager and hearing things about these places makes us all wan't to go there. Even if we just drive through SC and take some pics, that will be enough.. Don't plan on leaving the car but just want to know if this is safe..

By the sounds of it, we will have to rent a car... a little disappointing but still going to be awesome.

koukikat180sx
06-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Movies do play up a lot of stereotypes, you might end up being disappointed. Plus, you're looking into going to the bad parts of LA? LA can be pretty gross. I don't think you want to come see bums sitting around and peeing on the sidewalk. (hell, I don't even want to live here. anyone in hawaii able to hook it up with a job? ;))

Nice car, btw.

ZX88
06-14-2010, 09:18 AM
why would you want to go to compton?

yeah if you want the car to make it to NY bump your budget to at least 4k or rent a car.

HalveBlue
06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Car Buying Tips - USA Tourist (http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/carbuying.html)

buying a car in USA as a tourist? - Lonely Planet travel forum (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1683558)

Tourist buying a car in USA and travelling 2 months across : North America Forum - Travellerspoint (http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=70872)

Owning a US car as a tourist : Canadians in the USA (http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/owning-a-us-car-as-a-tourist-vt6584.html)

Here are some links that provide more information.

MOO, I think you'll be disappointed by South Central/Compton/theghetto...

During the day these places are pretty bland and mundane. Even at night there isn't much going on. You should be fine as long as you stick to the main roads and busy places.

But really, why do you want to go there in the first place. These places are pretty ugly to be honest and there isn't anything there that you can't do in other places (especially in L.A.) If you're going expecting to go there and see stuff like Boys in the Hood, MIIS, etc. get ready for a letdown.

Also, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to (legally) purchase a firearm as a tourist. ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Nonimmigrant Aliens (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#nonimmigrant-possession)

Also, while the US has plenty of open spaces where it is legal to carry and discharge a firearm, many municipalities place restrictions on such practices.

As someone who's coming from out of country I would think twice about pulling over somewhere in the middle of nowhere and start blasting away.

If you really want to fire a gun while you're in the States your best bet is to go to some gun stores and firing ranges. They should be able to sort you out.

Good Luck and hope this trip works out for you. But I think you need to do a lot more research before embarking on this endeavor of yours.

aznpoopy
06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
consider leaving that gun in the southwest when you're done with it

northeast and tri-state (ny, nj, ct) has much stricter gun control than the south and west... oversimplifying a bit, but if you want to get down to it, you basically can't have one and you probably wouldn't want to be caught with one if you happen to get pulled over or something.

Bluejayde
06-14-2010, 11:12 AM
My friends and I followed Route 66 from Missouri to the Pacific, then back (6000 miles) in a Scion XB- saw Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fransisco, Redwoods... Amazing experience. Traveling in America is awesome if you don't mind lots of seat time- there's lots to see but it's spread out. If you like nature that is, if you're looking for something exciting stick to the city.

Rent a car. I suggest a Magnum if you want a big American car. We slept in a tent out of the back of the XB most of the time, just look into a National Parks Pass and you can stay in any National Park for one price....

240sxfamily
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I read this whole story with an australian accent in my head. Super clean 180!!!!!!

same...haha

drift freaq
06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
I'd fly into SF and then drive down to LA spend 3 days there and then drive to LV if it were my money, it's alot more of a straight shot so you're not making zig zags all over California. It's a big fucking state. More practical time-wise too.

Also, why do you want to buy the car so bad? Plan on being Steve Mcqueen on Route 66 and blowing shit up?

Rent a Camaro, get the rental insurance, and be done with it.

Take it easy Road Warrior.

o4jhHoHpFXc

I would agree with the above. If you fly into LA and then drive to SF and then drive back to LV your are doubling back.
Now like ES said above rent a big V8 car Camaro, Mustang, etc... they are on the rental lots. Shit you could even rent a ZR1 here in LA. LOL

Now as far as the gun goes, you need a permit to buy a gun in California. They do not sell them at grocery stores. LOL

Maybe in Texas, which is were you could easily buy a gun and go shooting.

Like others have said I think the hood will sadly disappoint you. Unless you get off at looking at extremely run down neighborhoods and feel like looking decidedly out of place. LOL

Biggest thing in the hood to do is just show respect. Don't be afraid just act and feel like its not strange for you to be there. You do that and you will get respect back. I use to go pawn shopping in south Central and never had a problem.

The funniest thing that ever happened to me was one day when the 405 was backed up on my way home I took side streets across Compton towards downtown. Brother came up next to me in his car and looked over and started laughing. I smiled and he is like lol white boy driving straight through the hood.

He was cool he just found it extremely funny I was there and I was chill so it was just comedy.

Seriously though you base your view of the U.S. off T.V. and Movies. That shit always cracks me up when people from Europe come here and whatnot and expect things to be like they are on T.V. or in the Movies. LOL

That shit is exaggerated or even completely made up. Reality is quite often different. Its kinda like me going to Australia and expecting everyone to act like Crockodile Dundee. LOL

Though driving across the country is awesome. There is so much stuff to see here you could spend two years doing it.

I mean you are completely skipping Yoesemite National Park, Mono Lake, Owens Valley and Mammoth Mountain, Hot Creek, Death Valley, Lake Shasta,Big Sur, Muir Woods , Sequoia National Park, and that is just part of rural California!

Then you have the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, The Mesa's of Arizona, the meteorite crater, Santa Fe New Mexico, Texas, Tornado alley for chasing storms on the plains, Chicago with its great food and the great lakes. Seriously so much to see , Mississippi River, . Then go east and take in all the stuff there.

VROOOM
06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Now as far as the gun goes, you need a permit to buy a gun in California. They do not sell them at grocery stores. LOL

permit to buy a gun in CA? i have 3 guns and i dont have a permit. all purchased legally through Turners. there is a 10(or 15) day waiting period and you are not allowed to be a felon and are mentally sound(no mental hospital stuff)

from the Bureau of Firearms

"All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification"

Z33dori
06-14-2010, 01:08 PM
buy one of these
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/19/Cobra%20Fox%20Body.jpg

Matej
06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
why would you want to go to compton?
Guessing he likes rap music.

LimeLite Racing
06-14-2010, 03:41 PM
permit to buy a gun in CA? i have 3 guns and i dont have a permit. all purchased legally through Turners. there is a 10(or 15) day waiting period and you are not allowed to be a felon and are mentally sound(no mental hospital stuff)

from the Bureau of Firearms

"All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess a HANDGUN SAFETY CERTIFICATE plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification"

Certificate, permit, same shit. I see what he's saying. And the only way to get out of an HSC card or be exempt is if you're a police officer with valid police ID. Not too sure about military these days.
I worked at a gun shop for near 5 years.

adrians_s13
06-14-2010, 03:50 PM
haha everyone's trying to get out of compton...

you're the only one trying to get in.

IIIXziuR
06-14-2010, 04:07 PM
A few years ago we watched a movie, Fear and Loathing in LV. Since then, we have all had this dream to go the US, buy an old 80's or 90's American car and make our own way through America.. I understand this might not make any sense to you, as it may also make no sense to you why I wan't to see Compton but growing up in Australia watching movies like Boyz in the Hood as a teenager and hearing things about these places makes us all wan't to go there. Even if we just drive through SC and take some pics, that will be enough.. Don't plan on leaving the car but just want to know if this is safe..

By the sounds of it, we will have to rent a car... a little disappointing but still going to be awesome.

In a sense, you are living out my dreams.
I salute you, man. I salute you.

S14DB
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
American V8? You have Holden and Ford there. I would rather have a Falcon XR8 or Commodore SS.
You aren't going to get anything worth driving for $2k. Will not be able to buy anything without being a resident. On a Tourest Visa it an't going to happen.
Like said before rental is your only option.

You aren't going to get the full 'merican gun experience without being a Citizen ether.
But, you can rent it.
Since you are going to Vegas. There are a few Class 3(full auto) rental places in town. Example:
Las Vegas Gun Range & Firearm Center (http://www.lasvegasgunrange.net/)
The Gun Store | Las Vegas (http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/)

I made a wrong turn coming out of LAX and ended up in Compton. Wasn't impressed or scared. I have been in worse areas in the US. I'm sure it's better after dark. There are some "Welcome to Compton" signs you can get your photos by to impress your friends...

If you want classic Americana Route 66 is good. But, it is rapidly disappearing. There are some good books out their for driving cross country. Online guides too. The US is LARGE in scope. Yes AU is big in size but, you don't have the massive road development outside of city's that we do.

s13love-green
06-14-2010, 05:56 PM
california is expensive period

ddf2006
06-14-2010, 06:35 PM
yea dude if u really want some of cali's good life, go to hollywood, the sunset strip, baldwin hills. ive lived in cali my whole life and i have plenty of family in compton, long beach, south central and watts. hell i lived in long beach for a while and its not really exciting. most of the time u will just see black people on skateboards
(i was one of them) and people playing soccer. I do envy you on wanted to go to another country and travel for a while (i want to do this once i graduate) and austrailia and japan r top of my list of places to go. HAVE FUN DUDE

Team DET
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM

HAHAHA i did too...buy a 5.0

slamburger
06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
What would you do with the car after you're done with it?

I live in Socal and trust everyone that said it, the bad parts of town are not worth going to.

And southern states no thanks.

Have fun though man.

Touge Noob S13
06-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Dont worry about not going to Florida, its bascially a wannabe California thats humid.

ManoNegra
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow, I make plans so as to avoid going to the hood
I live in Crenshaw and trust me once you've have a gun pulled on you
it's no laughing matter

story time:
my brother, his girlfriend and I are coming back from the theater
we're waiting for the light on Crenshaw and Slauson
it's around 10:30pm
there's a couple of cars in front of us and a few behind
Lousiana Chicken and Nix Check Cashing on the left, gas station on the right
we hear some shouting coming the gas station
next thing we know, car trunks are flying open and all type of gun are being pulled out
a group of about 10 dudes run across the street, all carrying weapons
they literally pass right in front of our car
nothing happened, just as quickly everything went back to normal
everyone cleared out
longest light of my life
trust me, stick to watching your DVDs
the real thing will have you shit your pants

ESmorz
06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, I make plans so as to avoid going to the hood
I live in Crenshaw and trust me once you've have a gun pulled on you
it's no laughing matter

story time:
my brother, his girlfriend and I are coming back from the theater
we're waiting for the light on Crenshaw and Slauson
it's around 10:30pm
there's a couple of cars in front of us and a few behind
Lousiana Chicken and Nix Check Cashing on the left, gas station on the right
we hear some shouting coming the gas station
next thing we know, car trunks are flying open and all type of gun are being pulled out
a group of about 10 dudes run across the street, all carrying weapons
they literally pass right in front of our car
nothing happened, just as quickly everything went back to normal
everyone cleared out
longest light of my life
trust me, stick to watching your DVDs
the real thing will have you shit your pants

You do realize you just made them want to go more.

KoukiRPS13
06-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks for all the tips - particularly those who have listed specific destinations.

I get it, no gun. Perhaps I'll just go to a shooting range or something.

I should point out I have already been to USA around 10 years ago, I know it's not like the movies but I ask that you understand and respect my wishes on what we want so see re Compton. Happy to just drive through and take a few pictures, it's really no big deal... But something I do want to do.

I was thinking about coming to celebrate 4th of July with you guys. Is this a worthwhile thing to consider or is it a very family oriented day? Where should we target to be to see the best celebrations? I am guessing it will be about as hot in the southern states as it gets in Australian summer and o thought perhaps there would be an outdoor festival you could suggest?

Sorry if my initial post sounded like I was some crazy Australian to come and blow stuff up.. I am really keen to hear how we can best spend our time there.

Also have looked into rental based on your feedback.. It's going to be approx 4k to rent a car. I think this is mainly because we want to pickup from LA and leave in NY.. I'll keep looking at options. I perhaps incorrectly assumed I could buy a decent car for 2k as this is quite possible in Australia and I just assumed there would be plenty around in the US but looks like I was wrong about this.

Again, thanks. I'm not just some Aussie lunatic who wants to shotgun cactuses on the side of the highway... Okay, so maybe I am.... but I want to do it safely.

Slidin' Sam
06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
I am an American (CA Resident at that) living in Japan. I have met many Aussies while here. I understand where this guy is coming from. Their laws, as well as Japans, are very different from CA/the states. Unfortunately, I think you will be let down by a lot of this, but you will have an AMAZING time driving cross country. You can take I-10 or I-40 accross then shoot up I-95 to NY. Have fun!

fliprayzin240sx
06-15-2010, 07:34 AM
I've made the NY to Socal drive...thats an easy 3,200 mile drive without taking detours. I cut across Penn turnpike into Ohio, then I started heading southwest down thru Missouri, Oklahoma and catching I-10 in Northwest Texas...Pretty fucking uneventful drive since theres nothing after you pass St Louis all the way till you get to Arizona.

Slidin' Sam
06-15-2010, 07:16 PM
are you KIDDING me? That's the best part! MORE horror films come from that shitty part of the drive than anywhere else! Joy Ride? Texas Chainsaw? lol I hate that section too. Driven it several times now and I wouldn't mind if I didn't do it again.