PDA

View Full Version : new tie rods, inner and outter

PS13 DRFT
06-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I just want to make sure I have this correct, as I'm no suspension tech, nor expert, but the spacers on the outter rods are to create perfect geometry within the suspension right? (aka, keep it parallel with the ground)

Thanks in advance for your help zilvians, love you.

nissanfreak317
06-06-2010, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't call them spacers, there are ball joints in there.

Well, ok, i just looked at some aftermarket ones and it does seem that there is a bit added. But you must remember that these aren't part of the suspension by any means. Hopefully you know that the tie rods are for steering and don't affect suspension geometry.

Anywho, as far as i know having your tie rods perfectly parallel to the ground might be how they are on a completely stock car. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with how they perform. If you lower your car, you change that angle. Every time you hit a bump and your suspension travels, you change that angle. They are designed to work at all reasonable angles.

Nizzan4u2nv
06-06-2010, 09:46 AM
The spacers on the outer tie rod are for correcting bumpsteer. It makes the tie rod setup more parallel to the ground so the inner tie rod doesnt run out of movement on compression. The spacer on the inner tie rod is for increased steering angle.

PS13 DRFT
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
The spacers on the outer tie rod are for correcting bumpsteer. It makes the tie rod setup more parallel to the ground so the inner tie rod doesnt run out of movement on compression. The spacer on the inner tie rod is for increased steering angle.

unfortunately, I didn't get the spacer for the inner rod, if I bought some though, where would they go?

Crazyirish
06-06-2010, 04:15 PM
IBut you must remember that these aren't part of the suspension by any means. Hopefully you know that the tie rods are for steering and don't affect suspension geometry.

Anywho, as far as i know having your tie rods perfectly parallel to the ground might be how they are on a completely stock car. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with how they perform. If you lower your car, you change that angle. Every time you hit a bump and your suspension travels, you change that angle. They are designed to work at all reasonable angles.
Every bit of this is wrong.

PS13 DRFT
06-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Every bit of this is wrong.

WOW! and your post was so informative to0!

haha c'mon man, enlighten me then...

Crazyirish
06-06-2010, 04:36 PM
WOW! and your post was so informative to0!

haha c'mon man, enlighten me then...

Hey man, no information is always better than misinformation. But since you asked...

bumpsteer (http://www.thedirtforum.com/bumpsteer.htm)

Race Car Suspension ? Bump-Steer: What is it And How to Measure it? (http://autoracing.suite101.com/article.cfm/race_car_suspension_bumpsteer)

A couple of quick google hits on bumpsteer explain it better than I could.

<edit: forgot about the thread here on zilvia>

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/296725-roll-center-suspension-pickup-steering-angle-modification-thread.html

Nizzan4u2nv
06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
unfortunately, I didn't get the spacer for the inner rod, if I bought some though, where would they go?

It goes between the inner tie rod and the steering rack. Youre effectively spacing the inner tie rod away from the rack.

PS13 DRFT
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
It goes between the inner tie rod and the steering rack. Youre effectively spacing the inner tie rod away from the rack.

outstanding, thank you sirrrrrr