PDA

View Full Version : ca18det bov problem

blackbeezy
06-01-2010, 12:07 PM
hi guys this is my first post! i usually search the forums to find answers to my questions but right now i cant find anything for this

my problem is i have a stock 1989 180sx so it came equipped with a ca18det engine

my car has a lot of surge, i can feel it. so i picked up a hks ssqv black edition bov

i want to be able to run it open , but ive been told it'll run rich.
is it possible to run it open? i know a lot of people run it cold to bypass the maf but i'm a little iffy on that. another way is megasquirt

should i just call it a day and run it recirc? or is it possible to run it open with no problems?

basically i want to run my hks ssqv in my ca18det whats the best way?
should i get an intercooler first? and install it then? so many questions LOL sorry guys! thanks for your help

DALAZ_68
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
honestly, recirculating would be best...specially if you are running on a stock ecu...

its not that it runs rich, its that...when you vent the air...your causing the ECU to hiccup a bit and wonder wtf is goin on, and i dont remember, i believe what it does is open fuel and runs it rich for that bit of time...its not running rich the whole time, doubtfull anyway...

personally since my CA is getting work done to it...im gonna run a Recir Tial Alpha Q or HKS SSQV with recir system...thats just me...itll releave it and not cause said hiccup...that and im not running a stock motor...

honestly in stock form, stock PSI...u dont even need it...

only real proper way to run it open from my understandings is to run a full stand alone with turns ur map from a Maf to Fuel mapping...deleting the maf and releaving the hiccup...which no offense to you or anyone, but i doubt ud buy a 800+ unit to simply run a "cool sound BOV bro"...

g35gabby
06-01-2010, 07:21 PM
honestly, recirculating would be best...specially if you are running on a stock ecu...

its not that it runs rich, its that...when you vent the air...your causing the ECU to hiccup a bit and wonder wtf is goin on, and i dont remember, i believe what it does is open fuel and runs it rich for that bit of time...its not running rich the whole time, doubtfull anyway...

personally since my CA is getting work done to it...im gonna run a Recir Tial Alpha Q or HKS SSQV with recir system...thats just me...itll releave it and not cause said hiccup...that and im not running a stock motor...

honestly in stock form, stock PSI...u dont even need it...

only real proper way to run it open from my understandings is to run a full stand alone with turns ur map from a Maf to Fuel mapping...deleting the maf and releaving the hiccup...which no offense to you or anyone, but i doubt ud buy a 800+ unit to simply run a "cool sound BOV bro"...

:ddog:

VTA BOV releases the pressure from the IC piping which is metered air. The ECU sends fuel based on that Air(that has now been vented) being there, thus causing a rich condition. You will get a nice back fire and a small bog, then proper running.It isnt great for the motor and is all for a Nifty sound.

when My CA was stock, I just went w/o a BOV and let the turbo flutter a bit(if the turbo had bit the dust, it would have been the best thing that happened to my motor, but the little thing was too reliable:fawk2:)

a BOV wont fix stumbling or surging(this is another issue) and will just compound this issue most likely.

You can tune the ECU for VTA for this(Eprom, standalone, ect) or run a blow through MAFS.

best performance+reliability=recir BOV
"Best" sound=VTA

My personal preference was spending the 200 or so bucks on a quality BOV(as this is the only way I would have bought one) on a EPROM Tune for the other parts you have instead.

DALAZ_68
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
:ddog:

VTA BOV releases the pressure from the IC piping which is metered air. The ECU sends fuel based on that Air(that has now been vented) being there, thus causing a rich condition. You will get a nice back fire and a small bog, then proper running.It isnt great for the motor and is all for a Nifty sound.

when My CA was stock, I just went w/o a BOV and let the turbo flutter a bit(if the turbo had bit the dust, it would have been the best thing that happened to my motor, but the little thing was too reliable:fawk2:)

a BOV wont fix stumbling or surging(this is another issue) and will just compound this issue most likely.

You can tune the ECU for VTA for this(Eprom, standalone, ect) or run a blow through MAFS.

best performance+reliability=recir BOV
"Best" sound=VTA

My personal preference was spending the 200 or so bucks on a quality BOV(as this is the only way I would have bought one) on a EPROM Tune for the other parts you have instead.

^ that...i knew i had my shit mixed up...i jsut cant remember it all...