PDA

View Full Version : BP oil spill

theicecreamdan
05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
This hasn't made it in here yet?

Who's fault is it? Who has to pay? How much should they pay?

What really pisses me off: We can "bail" the automakers and the banks, with a trillion dollars. But this happens, and all of a sudden we're gonna play blame game while we shit all over the gulf of mexico and smear it all over the place pretending to clean up.

Solution, Day 1 "OH SHIT... Trillion dollar reward for whatever team can cap this hole."

Day 7 "Job well done, now we can play the spread the bullshit."

Agamemnon
05-29-2010, 02:32 PM
This's BP's fault. 100%. They tried to replace hydrolic fluid with seawater in cost cutting measure, but 11 hours later it led to an explosion killing 11 men. Beyond that, they where within the gov't guidelines.

The gov't cant take over because they just dont have the resources BP does.

BP will have to outsource the cleanup, but should be made to pay every cent for the clean up.

ronmcdon
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM
are there more legit sources of info on this?
I heard this on the radio recently.

If BP were following gov't guidelines (and that can be proven to be the case),
I think it's safe to say the guidelines were inadequate at best, hence gov't is at fault.
You could also say it was poor judgement to allow oil extraction in the area.
Now if BP was NOT following gov't guidelines, the the blame would largely fall on them.

How much should be paid is going to be a more difficult question if there's irreversable damage.
Imo, BP ought to be kicked out afterwards regardless.
It's not a mistake that should have occured, much less more than once.

zeitgeist
05-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Constant irresponsibility like this is why ill never support drilling in Alaska

kikcaffine
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I thought that whole reason behind this was because a check valve would have been 500 million, but incase there was a spill, BP was only responable for 75 million worth of clean up?

theicecreamdan
06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
GOP Blocked Raising BP's Liability Cap Because Company Promised To Cover Damages (VIDEO) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/16/gop-blocked-raising-bps-l_n_577847.html)

How is there a cap to how much an oil company can be held liable for? I can't even comment further on this.

ronmcdon
06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
pretty much bullshit reasoning as to not increase the cap
ideally, you'd want a large enough company to that has the resources to handle a venture as large as this properly.
competition and capability are entirely different.
if a company as large as BP has trouble with cleanup, I'd hate to see one with less resources handle a similar crisis.

Costs aside, I think there should be further repurcussion for BP.
Read on the news today that investigations are still ongoing.

It was, if nothing else, risky politics. As it stands now, a company will pay only $75 million in economic-related liabilities. Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) wants the figured bumped up to $10 billion. Asked why the GOP would block such an effort, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) suggested on Sunday that raising the cap was unnecessary because BP had given him it's word that it would cover the costs of the spill in the Gulf.

The danger in raising an economic liability cap, McConnell added, was that it would make it so that only large oil companies could drill off-shore. "If you raise the cap too high, there will be no competition in the Gulf and you will leave all the business to the big guys like BP," he said.

Gnnr
06-11-2010, 01:30 AM
All I have to say is.

Day #53 of the continuing oil spill.

WTF!?

Is it safe to say the USA sucks at handling major catastrophes/disasters? I don't just mean the government and BP, I mean the Engineers too.

Mikey213
06-11-2010, 02:49 AM
^ It's not as easy as you think! But one thing's for sure, "dilution isn't the solution to pollution!"

J3123MY
06-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Massive fail. And their attempts to fix it were total fail. Lol.

Walperstyle
06-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Quoting myself from GarageJournal.com

I work on a drilling rig. BP is not going bankrupt anytime soon. This is only one well. They still have many of other wells producing product for the next 20 years.

I'd actually lean toward buying shares in BP real soon.

To even think you can stop the oil industry is a joke.

And, Not to burst your bubble; if/when fossil fuels are getting low, these same Oil companies will form/buy new companies, and regulate/sell alternative power just as they are selling this to us right now.

As much at the backyard mechanic thinks he can use solar and wind, you watch, in the next few years a lot of 'unsafe bylaws' will pop-up in your city/town to prevent you from getting ahead by your own means. (much the same laws that make it near-impossible to build your own car and legally drive it on the streets)

Its a process of control, either you be a part of it and do the rape or get raped.

...there, I said it. lol. Cheers!

Also want to add that if the laws are the same as Canada, the rig had to have pressure tested the stack (BOP) after the casing job. Thus, making sure they could close off the well in the event of a kick or something bad going on.

BP is not to blame here, if anything, pressure testers or the rig crew itself for mistakes made in shutting it in.

The only thing I can think of that would make them suck this much is if they wanted to purposely fail at capping it to buy back shares on the stock market. But I'm not one of those zeitgeist conspiracy nuts, so I'll leave it at that.

cheers!

Agamemnon
06-13-2010, 09:58 AM
The only thing I can think of that would make them suck this much is if they wanted to purposely fail at capping it to buy back shares on the stock market. But I'm not one of those zeitgeist conspiracy nuts, so I'll leave it at that.

cheers!
That theory is a stretch at best. The reason they keep failing is because the odds are stacked against them. The well is at a crushing depth of 5000ft and the oil is gushing out with some much force, that they dont have enough hydrolic equipment to pump in the mud and concrete.

ThatGuy
06-13-2010, 10:03 AM
http://friendsofirony.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/1292039119356457001.jpg

Z33dori
06-13-2010, 10:49 AM
http://friendsofirony.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/1292039119356457001.jpg

oh the irony

its pretty sad that GOP wants to make it possible for smaller, less resourceful companies to make this same fuck up. So what happens, when they cant afford to pay for their own fuck ups, that means we have to pay for it. And that is fucked up. Idk why ppl fail at this, maybe b/c they all know they know they wont suffer ever.

D.Bo
06-13-2010, 11:24 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/sts_skater18/29739_397598532302_616727302_466137.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/sts_skater18/29739_397840302302_616727302_467019.jpg

kingkilburn
06-14-2010, 12:37 AM
GOP Blocked Raising BP's Liability Cap Because Company Promised To Cover Damages (VIDEO) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/16/gop-blocked-raising-bps-l_n_577847.html)

How is there a cap to how much an oil company can be held liable for? I can't even comment further on this.

The oil industry saw how much Exxon was(was is a VERY key word here) to pay out in Alaska after the Valdez ran aground.

Do you think any of them want to pay that out when they have a spill of some kind?

Slammed Assassin
06-14-2010, 01:00 AM
what a waste of a valuable natural resource. i feel sorry for the animals and things being harmed.

lou's40sx
06-14-2010, 01:23 AM
OOooooo, the crew of the "Steve Irwin" on Whale Wars aint gonna like this! They may just throw stink bombs at BP now. Ooooh no...

"I will invent an alternative Fuel that is made from Lowballing."

Walperstyle
06-14-2010, 02:29 AM
That theory is a stretch at best. The reason they keep failing is because the odds are stacked against them. The well is at a crushing depth of 5000ft and the oil is gushing out with some much force, that they dont have enough hydrolic equipment to pump in the mud and concrete.

5000f is not all that far down in terms of 'wells'. I've helped punch a few wells like that. There is a few people I work with that could have fixed this problem right from the start.

hell, Maybe I should head down there and teach them how its done.

kingkilburn
06-14-2010, 02:45 AM
You'd think there would be some kind of solution by now as long as people have been doing this stuff.

ThatGuy
06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/ob.jpg

sickstatus
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
http://9gag.com/photo/26185_540.jpg

http://9gag.com/photo/25999_540.jpg

http://9gag.com/photo/26038_540.jpg
http://9gag.com/photo/25895_540.jpg (http://9gag.com/gag/26038/)

ok im done lol...

ronmcdon
06-15-2010, 03:35 PM
To be fair, how effectively is our gov't handling this issue?
Not saying they are to blame what occured at onset,
but I'm skeptical if they're doing enough to help out.

Much of the damage might be irreversible at this point

karl wasabi
06-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I saw this in between two gas stations.

Arco to the left, 76 to the right.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31670_431091713133_590708133_5626941_5010508_n.jpg

Gnnr
06-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Day #58...

Lets play a game, guess how long before it stops?

I'm going to say 82.

ronmcdon
06-16-2010, 12:40 AM
^
you are quite the optimist.
I give it by December.

I seriously have my doubts as to whether BP even knows what the hell it's doing.
Ditto for the US govt more motivated in pointing fingers than making any constructive efforts.

zeitgeist
06-16-2010, 05:17 AM
5000f is not all that far down in terms of 'wells'. I've helped punch a few wells like that. There is a few people I work with that could have fixed this problem right from the start.

hell, Maybe I should head down there and teach them how its done.

What are you waiting for!!
Im sure u still have connections that can make some calls! Im sure you'd cash in too
I know its not simple but no reason not to try

Propaganda
06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
You'd be an American hero and get all the pussy you want (until Americans' A.D.D. kicks in and your 15 minutes of fame are over)

Gnnr
06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Day #59...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/worst_case_scenario.png

It is hurricane season..hmmm...

aa87
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I saw this in between two gas stations.

Arco to the left, 76 to the right.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31670_431091713133_590708133_5626941_5010508_n.jpg

Boycotting Bp gas stations won't hurt anybody except the small business owners.

kingkilburn
06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
The small business owner can get a new supplier. BP can suck it.

kingkilburn
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZjMP8YdNbg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZjMP8YdNbg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Walperstyle
06-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Also guys I wouldn't bother with a boycott. BP has deals with all major companies, they all use contracted pipelines, each others refineries, etc.

And, if you even boycott a gas powered car, just expect that these same companies will buy out all the new technology and sell it to us for some regulated price in the future anyway.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

kingkilburn
06-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Why not boycott BP? You wont see me buying any of their products anytime soon.

Even when they make the switch away from petroleum I wont buy from them.

SlideWell
06-21-2010, 01:08 AM
it just amazing the things that have been created in the past 50 years, yet something like this hasnt been stopped yet. i think BP should give a stimulus check to everyone here in the SouthEast, ahah. but no really.
BP's fault, shame on them. They need to clean it up, pronto. with summer on us now, its really starting to impact Florida's tourism. a lot of us rely on that for jobs and extra hours. if any of you have been to the gulf beaches on FL, youd know how beautiful they are, white sand, dolphins swimming around you. yeah, fuck you BP.

Matej
06-21-2010, 03:21 AM
If ya'll weren't addicted to oil, BP wouldn't be drilling for it in the first place, bros.

SlideWell
06-21-2010, 04:15 AM
If ya'll weren't addicted to oil, BP wouldn't be drilling for it in the first place, bros.

everyone is. its just the way this part of human history goes.
and who says ya'll? i sure dont, im from Seattle,WA, brew.

Gnnr
06-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Day#63...

but whos counting, amirite?

lol, Its not as if the world has a choice. Oil is one of the few goods that exists that has inelastic demand.

Do you know how crazy that is!? Do you know what that means? It is to the point where it is treated as a need, period. The demand for it does not change no matter what the price is set at.

This is why when it was expensive as shit they sold the same amount, demand stayed the same.

Alternative fuels could only hope to reach that level of demand, which wont happen as they are renewable and engineered solutions. So not even controlling the supply would yield that sort of price elasticity.

Gnnr
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/DZjMP8YdNbg

Wow, surreal! Great video, thanks for posting!

Ceepo
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
This is how they need to fix it, let the US Military take charge, send a small nuke under the water, set it off and it "WILL" plug the leak up, should have happened a week after this shit when down... russia as done this on 5 seperate occasions, yes it might hurt the ocean and what not, but not as much as it already has/is getting harmed...

http://www.treehugger.com/thermonuclear-nuke-explosion-photo23.jpg

Russian advice: Nuke the oil spill, that’ll fix it! (http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/05/russian-advice-nuke-the-oil-spill-thatll-fix-it/)

kingkilburn
06-21-2010, 01:45 PM
If an explosion is the answer we have conventional explosives that can achieve the same blast without irradiating the gulf.

The reason they wont do it is that they want to redrill it at some point. They still have $$$ in their eyes.

Ceepo
06-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Fuck the money, they are destroying all those coastel towns fishing lands and income, and tourism, blow that shit closed forget about "redrilling" and move on, they make more then enough money as it is...

kingkilburn
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree but as long as there is no threat of consequence they will continue to act as they have been.

Gnnr
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Ceepo, did you see the video? This is a repeat episode by the same drilling company from years back. Nothing is gonna change. :keke:

Ceepo
06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Video was good ha ha ha made me laugh :ddog:

Freddy
06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
i give it 120 day +/- 10 days

KA24DESOneThree
06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Even state-run oil-drilling companies manage to get the wells capped in ten weeks or less.

Also, no nukes.

murda-c
06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
can we lower like an entire carrier air wing supply of ordnance and blow it up instead?

paid for by BP of course

Matej
06-22-2010, 04:08 PM
lol, Its not as if the world has a choice. Oil is one of the few goods that exists that has inelastic demand.
Yes, which in my opinion does not make this solely BP's fault. Although everyone loves to have a single scapegoat.
If this did not happen to BP, it might as well have happened to any other corporation drilling for oil. Big corporations cutting costs where they should not to make maximum profit is nothing new, just a byproduct of capitalism. And the governments are willing to look the other way, as long as they get their oil for cheap, and everyone hopes nothing will go wrong.
The safety measures and their enforcement for something with such catastrophic potential should have been way stricter, and that is supposed to be the job of the governments or whoever they appointed in charge. It is easy to point fingers now and say that BP should have taken such precautions in the first place without the need of being made to do so, but they are a big greedy corporation and honestly it could have been expected of them that they would cut costs. It should not take an entire ecosystem getting destroyed just so we can point fingers now.

Also, if anyone wants to boycott BP, you should have done so before this happened, because it will not do much good now. If anything, it will only cripple their efforts to fix this situation.

kingkilburn
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Blaming the government is using them as a scapegoat. There shouldn't be a necessity for outside regulation.

The greedy bastards fucked up and they should pay.

ronmcdon
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Well I think both the govt and BP share some level of responsibility.

Not all oil companies screw up this bad.
the others must be doing something better.

Yeah I agree that regulations and/or enforcement of were lax.
Not so sure you can generalize the fault to other companies, as this is an isolated incident
(even if it's a costly one).

It's probably in every firm's best interests to be making $$$.
That should be some incentive for safety, but apparently it is not.
Paying is one thing, but some things are priceless.
Good luck trying to restore that ecosystem.

kingkilburn
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
It's not the first oil spill in the gulf and in all of Earth's history probably not the largest in the gulf either.

I'm confident the ecosystem will bounce back.

Gnnr
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Of course its going to bounce back. Our planet doesn't need us to save it. Its been here for millions of years.

The problem is it going to be inhabitable by humans or not.

And its both the Government and the drilling company's fault. This is the second time they created a blunder in the Gulf so they should have learned how to prevent and deal with the spill.

murda-c
06-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Of course its going to bounce back. Our planet doesn't need us to save it. Its been here for millions of years.

And its both the Government and the drilling company's fault. This is the second time they created a blunder in the Gulf so they should have learned how to prevent and deal with the spill.

A planet uninhabitable by humans would pretty much count as a dead planet in my book.

Gnnr
06-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Meant to say inhabited.

theicecreamdan
06-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Its going to be pretty hard to get rid of us.

Eventually, we're going to make living here very difficult for us.

Gnnr
06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Its trying to get rid of us, that's my line of thinking lol

eScDfYzMEEw

Walperstyle
06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

You do realize even if you went to Shell, there is a chance you still could be using stuff drilled out under BP?

I work in the industry, re-read what I wrote above. They all have contracts with each other, helping each other out.

As for alternative power, expect laws and such to stop you and I from making it ahead. Right now there is not much for laws for solar or wind power, but I'm sure there will be city-by-laws stopping it in the next 5-10 years so the home owner cant DIY.

kingkilburn
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't care about the pipeline. I know they dump in a certain amount and then pump that back out the other end.

At the point that I pay for my gas or other petroleum products that fact is irrelevant. I will not be buying any products sold through BP or any of the subsidiaries/sister companies.

PNgo12
06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AAa0gd7ClM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AAa0gd7ClM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

EDacIouSX
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I like how everyone blames BP for this problem. I like how that VIDEO's sole message was that BP and the oil industry aren't taking more actions to be cautious.

Anyone ever stop to think that there's more involved than BP? why aren't there rules and regulations that promote safety when drilling?

And if you guys plan on boy cotting BP, we'll see what happens when/if BP runs out of money....

Don't worry, Obama will save us just like he's saved this economy.

DenkiMan!
06-24-2010, 05:28 PM
its hurricane season...we havnt seen anything yet. its only a matter of time before the situation gets horribly worse. all it takes is a category 1 hurricane in the vicinity of the gulf area to splatter that shit all over the coast. bp's gonna have a field day with that

kingkilburn
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I like how everyone blames BP for this problem. I like how that VIDEO's sole message was that BP and the oil industry aren't taking more actions to be cautious.

Anyone ever stop to think that there's more involved than BP? why aren't there rules and regulations that promote safety when drilling?

And if you guys plan on boy cotting BP, we'll see what happens when/if BP runs out of money....

Don't worry, Obama will save us just like he's saved this economy.

Who the fucks fault is it supposed to be?

It is their fucking drill on their fucking well.

Their own negligence lead to a mishap. Why on earth should it be anyone's fault but their own.

They need to handle their business and if they can't they can go bankrupt to pay for the rest of us to handle it for them.

Gnnr
06-25-2010, 02:21 AM
I think its silly to think that boycotting BP wont effect it at all. Its stock has already been tanking.

BP stock price hits new 52-week low - Jun. 24, 2010 (http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/24/news/companies/BP_stock_price/)

If no one buys from them directly, and the only way BP sells its oil is by selling its inventory to other stations, that is not a business model that will keep it afloat.

Gnnr
07-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Day #78...

BP’s Oil Spill Costs Exceed $3B
Posted on: Tuesday, 6 July 2010

BP has spent in excess of $3 billion on the Gulf oil spill as of Monday, the company said.

The costs include efforts to contain and cleanup the oil, the drilling of relief wells that many believe will ultimately stop the leak, and $147 million in compensation to some of those affected by the spill.

"The cost of the response to date amounts to approximately $3.12 billion, including the cost of the spill response, containment, relief well drilling, grants to the Gulf states, claims paid, and federal costs," BP said.

The new figure exceeds the $2.65 billion estimate the firm issued just a week ago.

BP said there are now 44,500 people working on the response to the spill, about 5,000 more than a week ago, BBC News reported.

The company’s share price has plummeted more than 50 percent following the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oilrig on April 20, which killed 11 workers and created the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history.

Last month, BP decided to suspend its shareholder dividend, and create a $20 billion fund for costs arising from the catastrophe. It is also shedding some non-core assets to raise an additional $10 billion dollars.

Investors remain uncertain about the ultimate financial impact of the disaster, but estimates from some analysts place the final costs in the tens of billions.

The collapse in the company’s share price has led to speculation that BP may become a takeover target.

However, BP spokesman Robert Wine dismissed a Sunday Times report that said the company was turning to competitive oil groups and sovereign wealth funds from Asia and the Middle East to thwart a possible hostile takeover bid.

"We have no current plans to issue new equity," he said during an interview with the AFP news agency.

Bad weather continues to slowdown BP’s cleanup efforts in the Gulf, keeping smaller skimming vessels in harbors in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, although skimming and other efforts have resumed in the calmer seas off the Louisiana coast.

Meanwhile, a massive Taiwanese ship known as "A Whale" may provide a much-needed boost in the days ahead. Owned by TMT Shipping Offshore, the giant vessel has been converted into the largest oil skimming ship in the world, able to suck up to 21 million gallons (500,000 barrels) of oily water each day through its "jaws" -- vents on the side of the ship.

By comparison, some 500 smaller vessels have only been able to collect a total of 28.2 million gallons (671,428 barrels) of oil-water in ten weeks.

The "A Whale," which traveled from Taiwan to the Gulf, is currently undergoing tests. If all goes well, approval for the vessel to begin skimming operations could come as early as Tuesday.

The Navy's MZ-3A Airship is also expected to reach the Gulf on Tuesday to help detect oil, direct skimming vessels and search for wildlife that may be threatened from the disaster.

The AFP quoted officials as saying that disposal units, known as Heavy Oil Recovery Devices (HORDs), are "greatly improving" clean-up efforts.

As many as 1,000 HORDs are expected to be in operation in the weeks ahead, and will concentrate on sucking up the thick, heavy oil that has thwarted conventional skimming vessels.

The oil leaking on the seafloor of the Gulf has now spewed as much as four million barrels of oil, the AFP reported.

Although BP’s current containment systems can only capture or flare 25,000 barrels of oil daily, that number is set to double upon the arrival of a third vessel on Thursday.

BP said the two relief wells being drilled to permanently stop the leak are still on course for completion by mid-August.

ThatGuy
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
http://friendsofirony.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dd80f01e-bc0a-4819-acf3-2264390535f1.jpg

kingkilburn
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not surprised by how long it's taking them to stop the spill(it takes months to drill the secondary holes) but I am surprised with how poorly they are slowing the spill and cleaning it up.

jspaeth
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm not surprised by how long it's taking them to stop the spill(it takes months to drill the secondary holes) but I am surprised with how poorly they are slowing the spill and cleaning it up.

That's because the federal government has their hands in the process, which automatically means that

1) It will take forever
2) It will be done in a shitty way
3) Every little thing will have to pass through some sort of a useless bureacratic review

kingkilburn
07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
None of the is necessarily true.

handinpants
07-08-2010, 03:38 AM
This's BP's fault. 100%. They tried to replace hydrolic fluid with seawater in cost cutting measure, but 11 hours later it led to an explosion killing 11 men. Beyond that, they where within the gov't guidelines.

The gov't cant take over because they just dont have the resources BP does.

BP will have to outsource the cleanup, but should be made to pay every cent for the clean up.

Excuse me liberal guy, but do you have any factual proof of this happening?
Bp does not even own that oil rig, they never did. Furthermore why has obama turned down the assistance from 25 different countries to help clean up the spill,
But nooo our president knows what's right for our country.
Drill on our land

handinpants
07-08-2010, 04:03 AM
If anything, I'm buying bp stock, lots of it, cause well after all this cleans up the stock will go back up, also there is no way I am boycotting bp gas, arco has the cheapest gas out of everyone else. I bought stock at $30 a share. I also bought ford stock at $5.00 when the bail outs were happening so far it went up.

bb4_96
07-08-2010, 04:59 AM
If the oil companies always prectived best saftest practice they'd surely pass that buck on to the pumps. I'm not going to pay x.xx more at the pump so that these rigs can be safer.

In addition there are much worse issues going on in the world right now than one company's(I guess BP is soley to blame, or the media would have you believe) irresponsible practices.

handinpants
07-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Good news kingkilburn, since your mad a bp, and you overlook the fact that bp did not own the oil rig, nor any of its crew, but a huge company called transocean owned that failed rig, and I can't forget to add that transocean owns lots of rigs, they actually lease them to all the other oil companies too. So since you won't be buying gas anymore you obviously have no use for your car, and I am wondering if you would donate it and all its parts to the zilvian community.

One reason I feel bp is getting the blame for this could be due to transoceans limited liability loop hole they used, allowing them to pay out no more than the maximum amount stated in their contract with bp.

Another reason the us gov is going. After bp is because they don't want us to see the big picture, their own fault for lax off shore drilling regulations. You should turn off the tv and read this Think Progress Home Page (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/04/bp-tax-break-rent/&resnum=1&source=android-browser-goto&ved=0CA4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHjrflorHi6uzX3Wngq_5OBFXTfQw)

One guy on here had a clear point, which correllated to how goldman sachs sold 250k shares of bp stock right before the spill news broke,
Now the shares dropped almost 50%, I'm guessing that they're going to buy soon

jspaeth
07-08-2010, 07:36 AM
That's because the federal government has their hands in the process, which automatically means that

1) It will take forever
2) It will be done in a shitty way
3) Every little thing will have to pass through some sort of a useless bureacratic review

None of the is necessarily true.

Hahahahha

1) Ever go into a post office?
2) Ever go into a DMV?
3) I have plenty of friends and family members who work for the government, and they all say the same thing

"Half of the people that I work with are stupid or lazy or both".

But it's the government, so you can't even fire them to make the "company" better, because there is no incentive for anything government-related to work a) better or b) more efficiently, because they will always just throw more tax money at the problem.

bb4_96
07-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Can't blame the government, It's a democracy. Only way democracy moves smoothly is if alot of bitter old men can agree on something together. And if you followed the "girl punched thread" you know that everyone will never agree on something even if it's pretty blatently obvious. Like a "hung jury effect" if you will.

kingkilburn
07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Good news kingkilburn, since your mad a bp, and you overlook the fact that bp did not own the oil rig, nor any of its crew, but a huge company called transocean owned that failed rig, and I can't forget to add that transocean owns lots of rigs, they actually lease them to all the other oil companies too. So since you won't be buying gas anymore you obviously have no use for your car, and I am wondering if you would donate it and all its parts to the zilvian community.

One reason I feel bp is getting the blame for this could be due to transoceans limited liability loop hole they used, allowing them to pay out no more than the maximum amount stated in their contract with bp.

Another reason the us gov is going. After bp is because they don't want us to see the big picture, their own fault for lax off shore drilling regulations. You should turn off the tv and read this Think Progress Home Page (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/04/bp-tax-break-rent/&resnum=1&source=android-browser-goto&ved=0CA4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHjrflorHi6uzX3Wngq_5OBFXTfQw)

One guy on here had a clear point, which correllated to how goldman sachs sold 250k shares of bp stock right before the spill news broke,
Now the shares dropped almost 50%, I'm guessing that they're going to buy soon

BP owned the well. They are ultimately responsible. If they didn't like Transocean's limited liability then they shouldn't have made a contract with them.

I never said I would stop buying gas so I think I will keep my car, thank you. I also NEVER get my news from any tv source. They are always bs.

kingkilburn
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Hahahahha

1) Ever go into a post office?
2) Ever go into a DMV?
3) I have plenty of friends and family members who work for the government, and they all say the same thing

"Half of the people that I work with are stupid or lazy or both".

But it's the government, so you can't even fire them to make the "company" better, because there is no incentive for anything government-related to work a) better or b) more efficiently, because they will always just throw more tax money at the problem.

1) Is a government owned BUT privately run company.
2) Grossly understaffed.
3) Good for your friends.

handinpants
07-10-2010, 08:35 AM
BP owned the well. They are ultimately responsible. If they didn't like Transocean's limited liability then they shouldn't have made a cont
ract with them.

I never said I would stop buying gas so I think I will keep my car, thank you. I also NEVER get my news from any tv source. They are always bs.

Seriously kingkilburn, you would look smarter if you had some factual base to your claims, I understand you are only 23, and probably have some more growing up to do, learn about how to listen to the other person who is speaking, and actually comprehend what they are telling you.

Transocean and bp entered an agreement, transocean would lease their oil rig and drill the well. For a set amount of time. The current value of the oil rig at the bottom of the ocean is zero dollars, transocean had the rig open for enough days to earn 27 million from the bp lease agreement.... omg am I really explaining this, just go google transocean bp oilrig lease agreement,
Quit your bitching cause when you talk smack about this, you do not have much facts to back up your garble

kingkilburn
07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
You said it yourself.

BP OWNS THE WELL.

It is ultimately their oil that is leaking into the ocean. They should have better protected their assets. If the contract with Transocean could lead to a mishap like this they should have either negotiated better terms or not agreed to it at all.

In the current case I think BP should take them to court for making a bad faith agreement. If they were going to do such a horrible job maintaining the oil rig they should share some of financial burden.

And seriously fuck you. Just because you think you are right does not give you free reign to be an ass hole. And 4 years does not equal some kind of instant intelligence.

handinpants
07-10-2010, 02:09 PM
You said it yoursel

In the current case I think BP should take them to court for making a bad faith agreement. If they were going to do such a horrible job maintaining the oil rig they should share some of financial burden.

And seriously fuck you. Just because you think you are right does not give you free reign to be an ass hole. And 4 years does not equal some kind of instant intelligence.

I do believe bp owns the well, howevr they outsourced the drilling and building of the oil rig to transocean, who later outsourced the buildingof the well concrete stuff to haliburton, who won't admit fault for the concrete problem with lead to the collapse of the rig,
It is one big mess for sure.

As for me being an asshole, thanks, the funny thing is a wasn't trying to have free reign just cause I am 4 years older, I was more or less bagging on your lack of facts you have to back up your arguement.

I agree with you, bp has some serious suiting to do with its business partners.

Agamemnon
07-10-2010, 03:10 PM
If Transocean had leased the rig to BP, wouldn't that mean that BP had their own operators on the DeepWater Horizon?

HandinPants - You can call me a bad person, you can call me an asshole, you can even call me worse than Hitler, but if you ever call me a liberal again I will hunt you down and fight you. True story.

kingkilburn
07-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I do believe bp owns the well, howevr they outsourced the drilling and building of the oil rig to transocean, who later outsourced the buildingof the well concrete stuff to haliburton, who won't admit fault for the concrete problem with lead to the collapse of the rig,
It is one big mess for sure.

As for me being an asshole, thanks, the funny thing is a wasn't trying to have free reign just cause I am 4 years older, I was more or less bagging on your lack of facts you have to back up your arguement.

I agree with you, bp has some serious suiting to do with its business partners.

You are just passing the blame around.

I don't see any info that isn't public knowledge in my argument. Next time you want to question my sources do so directly and don't be an ass hat about it. Asking for proof is reasonable being a dick is not.

Ceepo
07-11-2010, 01:11 AM
I still feel a nuke is best...
http://mattbuck.irongalaxy.com/neveron/snapshots/nuke.JPG

wh0aitznic0
07-16-2010, 01:18 AM
It's capped.

kingkilburn
07-16-2010, 03:12 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/17/us/17spill.html

The article seams to be written from the future though.

Slammed Assassin
07-16-2010, 03:36 AM
It's capped.

if its true then, Finally!!!:)

kingkilburn
07-16-2010, 04:27 AM
It's not a permanent solution but at least it's stopped until the finish the side wells.

ThatGuy
07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/129199047595759991.jpg

cc4usmc
07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
rofl. that's pretty clever.

kingkilburn
07-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Buy BP and never SeaFoam your engine again.

bigbadberrys13
07-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Not over yet Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/18/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1)

kingkilburn
07-18-2010, 09:13 PM
The cap wasn't meant to be a final solution. I'm not surprised it leaks a little.

Gnnr
07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
2AAa0gd7ClM

:rofl:

Walperstyle
08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
If Transocean had leased the rig to BP, wouldn't that mean that BP had their own operators on the DeepWater Horizon?

HandinPants - You can call me a bad person, you can call me an asshole, you can even call me worse than Hitler, but if you ever call me a liberal again I will hunt you down and fight you. True story.

I work in this industry. First off, yes, BP would have 1-3 'drilling engineers' on the rig watching the operation and making the final calls. HOWEVER, anything that would put the lives or environment at risk, It still falls down to the Rig and its crews. In any event of a blowout, there is many lines of defense to protect the well from a blowout.

There is rules and regulations in place. Honnestly, I'm not sure 100% with American regulations, but here in Canada its law to do a 'pressure test' after every casing job. This will make sure your BOP is fool proof and can withstand a kick or blowout. Every drilling rig has safety procedures in place and this wasn't a matter to play the blame game just yet. We need to know who made the final call when sketchy stuff was first detected. I'm pretty sure someone knew bad stuff was going to happen.

A perfect example of this just happened on my Rig. One of my Roughnecks spotted a hydraulic leak in one of the fittings on our stack (BOP). We stopped operation and fixed it on the spot. His failure to notify anyone or fix the problem could lead to the death of everyone. We are trained to keep our eyes open on things like this. Even though there is 3 other lines of defence to stop a blowout. you take no chances on the other 2 holding if you know one is damaged.

You guys don't have the facts of what happened, you were not there, so I wouldn't try to talk like you are an expert on the matter.

I'm not, and I work on a drilling rig. I'm pretty sure most of you have never seen one up close. There is a big difference when you are walking the line.

supervenom
08-22-2010, 01:24 AM
This whole thing is truely sad. So many people's lives have been destroyed. And, at the end of the day, BP will pay a small (they are worth nearly a Trillion) fine of a few Billion dollars and will move on. None of the people in the Gulf will see any of that money. They will get screwed just like last time (Katrina). The problem is political, social and moral. BP made it even worse with the chemicals they used to try to hide all of the oil in the deep sea. The problem is persistent. Just like the drug war, until governments stop trying to control what people consume into their bodies, that war will never end. But its different, until we stop using oil, the problem will NEVER go away.

E_Monkey
08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
The bp company it self is a great company lol :/

ZX88
08-24-2010, 09:50 AM
i wish i shorted bp.

hellion240sx
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
So november... I am from New Orleans. I for one want to say I don't hold BP soley responsible for the oil spill. It was known that ppl were paid off to look the other way. I hold Bp responsible for the lack of action on the clean up. We, as consumers, are at fault too. If you use oil, you pretty much are supporting them. You figure it happened to BP, now if it would have happned to cheveron or shell we would see them as a bad guy. My whole thing is we are still dependant on oil. We aren't doing enough to stop the raping of earth. When I saw the movie Avatar, it was like watching a documentary I guess you can say. But thats another whole thread in itself. But they went in wanted to get what they wanted F$#k everything else. It's pretty much how the world is run. Forests are being cut down, land is being taken over, lakes and rivers polluted. It's like we aren't doing enough to help the planet out.
Now BP is paying small claims to everyone who was affected by the oil spill. Out of the four jobs I have, THREE were affected. I work at two seafood restaurants and the insurance business. All three are affected. Now they are helping out stimulating the economy with the small claims. It helps out a lot. I presonally am down about 20 grand from last year. I have the paper work to prove it. The claims process is rediculous! they have a twenty BILLION fund just for that and as of nov 6th the have spent 1.746,xxx,xxx.xx billion dollars according to the gulfcoastclaimsfacility.com site. Now The immediate response to this is phew this is going to help out right now... But I'm thinking what about the next few years? How is the seafood industry going to look like? Will all the shrimp, oysters, fish, etc going to be repopulated within the next few years? Thats the real problem. Not only that What about the ecosystem? There is no telling how many species were killed off with this oil spill. But we are still here. I'm just on the fence to say which was worse Katrina or BP... Time will tell. I am leaning more towards Katrina though.

BTW, The coffe spill parody was HILARIOUS!

hellion240sx
11-08-2010, 07:41 PM
HAH, so I pull up my yahoo. mail and this is on the front

Spill panel: No evidence of saving $ over safety - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101109/ap_on_go_ot/us_gulf_oil_spill_investigation)

looks like the blame is placed.

ronmcdon
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
^

great read.

Halliburton at it again.
Why is this company still in business?!

Still, BP and the US government (with their arguably lax safety regulations) share some responsibility imo.