PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watched Eureka 7?

ToddgoesJapan
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I downloaded it and haven't even started watching it...

Anybody like it?

lawrenceyang
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
one of the all time greatest my friend. gets a little slow in the middle but the ending is amazing imho

lewisfk
05-28-2010, 05:56 PM
It's ok, not one of the greatest thou! It has a lot of puberty shit with the main character but it gets better as it goes!

simmode1
05-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Nah... this one didn't catch my interest. Once I see preteens in giant mechs, I kinda chech out... unless its Evangelion or Full Metal Panic. How does it stack up against those two?

ToddgoesJapan
05-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I stumbled upon it while trying to find a music video for a song, found an amv for it and thought it looked decent enough to watch...

Not going to make any assumptions, but it looks similar to Evangelion... what with the giant robots

simmode1
05-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Let me know when you finish watching it... cause having giant robots doesn't neccessarily put a show in the same league as Evangelion...

ToddgoesJapan
05-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I may as well start watching it tonight... not really anything else to do

But yeah, Evangelion had it's own uniqueness, not really sure how describe it

ManoNegra
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Excellent series based on the Japanese classic "7 Samurai"
I expected something different for the ending is the only thing that bugged me a bit

lawrenceyang
05-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I expected something different for the ending is the only thing that bugged me a bit

is it based on 7 samurai ? never knew that. the show centers around preteens and mechs but i think the cast adds a lot of elements to the show, the rest of the crew are all adults and deals with the stuff that they have to go through too so you shouldn't brush the series off if you think it's just about pre-pubescent middle schools riding gundams

drift freaq
05-29-2010, 01:18 AM
is it based on 7 samurai ? never knew that. the show centers around preteens and mechs but i think the cast adds a lot of elements to the show, the rest of the crew are all adults and deals with the stuff that they have to go through too so you shouldn't brush the series off if you think it's just about pre-pubescent middle schools riding gundams

You guys completely miss a bigger picture of it. All on guys get caught up mechs. LOL There is so much more going on. Every single ship and mech is named after a Vintage Roland Synthesizer and drum machine.Not just random ones but all the ones that because popular again in the House Music scene of the late 80's and 90's. TR808, TR909, TB303,SH101, SH202 Etc.....

They even have a DJ as one of the characters and Raves. LOL Not only that but it has spiritual message about Love and happiness but of course that may be getting a little deep for some of you. J/k but its all there.

It is actually a very good anime if you are enlightened enough to get it or came from the scene that they have take so much from.

Oh and Evangelion is good but in the end turns into a depressing mess of psycho babble and stare at my naval and dwell on the negativeness.

simmode1
05-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks for that insight, Drift-Freaq... If it didn't have any deep themes to it, I'd pass. Evangelion is deep, but it makes me want to curse the gods and slit my wrists after watching it.

I guess I'll go look for a batch torrent of Eureka 7 now. That and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann... A friend keeps wanting me to watch that too...

Omarius Maximus
05-29-2010, 06:26 AM
I like Eureka 7. And that's coming from a person that hates most Japanese story writing.

ToddgoesJapan
05-29-2010, 08:25 AM
So far the reviews are good... nobody really disliked it...

I only got 1 episode in before I passed out last night and it was pretty good

drift freaq
05-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I should add, they also mixed in the surf philosophy into it as well.

uraznfriend
05-29-2010, 09:06 PM

I didnt know that is was based on the classic 7 samurai but there is an anime version called samurai seven which is really bad ass

simmode1
05-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I didnt know that is was based on the classic 7 samurai but there is an anime version called samurai seven which is really bad ass

I totally disagree... I hated that show and couldn't wait to delete it off my hard drive. Put I did start downloading Eureka 7 today though...

ToddgoesJapan
05-30-2010, 05:14 AM
I totally disagree... I hated that show and couldn't wait to delete it off my hard drive. Put I did start downloading Eureka 7 today though...

Sadly enough, I have to agree with that... I didn't even make it through 20 minutes and it got deleted

ManoNegra
05-30-2010, 10:16 AM

really? same plot: villagers being terrorized by bandits look for samurai to protect them.

You guys completely miss a bigger picture of it. All on guys get caught up mechs. LOL There is so much more going on. Every single ship and mech is named after a Vintage Roland Synthesizer and drum machine.Not just random ones but all the ones that because popular again in the House Music scene of the late 80's and 90's. TR808, TR909, TB303,SH101, SH202 Etc.....

interesting, escaped me completely

same here, I like samurai stories and that show wasn't very good

ToddgoesJapan
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't care if it's animated... but I'd rather watch Samurai Champloo if I'm going to watch anything samurai related... that and they've got some pretty nice music to go along with it

simmode1
05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
same here, I like samurai stories and that show wasn't very good

Yeah, man... I'm with you. Just just I like a certain genre doesn't mean I'm gonna sit through some crap. Good samurai shows are stuff like Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo. But for every good show, there's five crappy shows with badly animated fight scenes and piss-poor plotlines like Blade of the Immortal and Samurai 7.

There's a new samurai show that I'm watching right now called 'House of Five Leaves'. If I don't see something really interesting by episode three, I'm dropping it.

uraznfriend
05-31-2010, 10:31 AM
the only thing about samurai 7 was the colors that was bad, i first watched it in black and white
the plot of the show is almost identical to seven samurai until they go against the gov.
each to his own i guess

simmode1
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
No, Samurai 7 also had poorly animated fight scenes, forgettable character designs and and uninspiring soundtrack. Those are my BIG anime turn-offs.