PDA

View Full Version : Z....S2000.....Gen Coupe????

stevenwhite1989
05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I am looking into purchasing a "newer" car, I have drove the s2000 and the 350, havnt even seen a Gen coupe in person. My question is for THOSE PEOPLE WHO MAY OWN THESE......

If you could maybe give some insight on what you like and dislike about them. Be it; mechanical, aesthetics, sounds, anything that you like or dislike about yours.

Please dont comment unless you own one, cause i dont want to sit here and read a bunch of posts from people that do not own them.

ZX88
05-27-2010, 11:17 AM
gen coupe.

Daniel.
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't own one.

Your best bet is to experience it for yourself. Why do you care what a bunch of text on the internet says about something that can be totally subjective?

driftsilvias13
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Seriously. Get what you want, not what people tell you to get.

I had 2 350z's. Loved that car.

I have 4 good friends with s2000s. Good car.

Just depends on what youre looking for.

Flicktitty
05-27-2010, 11:29 AM
drive them all, and get a good amount of seat time in all of them before you bite the bullet.

i do not own any of them, But from riding and driving in various 350Z's i must say i REALLY like those cars, everything about them seems to be right up my alley. my one big gripe about them, is they are EXTREMELY easy to fuck up the sound (ie - sounds like shit)

I've been in a few S2000's i am a bigger guy and i feel a little too snug in those cars, i've always loved the way they sound when driven to the limit, there fun go cart style cars, but the convert aspect may get a little "old" after a while.

Gen Coupe, well i have no real insight with them, other then if you get one for little to no interest you would i think come out better then buying a Z or a S2k. but i personally just can't get around the "Hyundai" namesake.

so with that said, Drive them all, and drive them as much as possible. best of luck.

drift freaq
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Make your own decisions, don't ask us.

Everyone has a bias, one way or the other, based on their own preferences. Only you, can honestly answer this question, by checking out each car and deciding which one works for you.

LimeLite Racing
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Get a 240. Or put more cash into the one you own.

Matador
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Make your own decisions, don't ask us.

Everyone has a bias, one way or the other, based on their own preferences. Only you, can honestly answer this question, by checking out each car and deciding which one works for you.

He's not asking for zilvia to make a decision for him. He just wants feedback from people who have lived day to day with one of the cars he is considering. This way he can get more information than would be available on a test drive.

udon!
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
get a 240sx, and spend your money making it more "modern".

hell every single part of the car has been re-invented already.

PNgo12
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Are you illiterate? If he's in the market for a new car and can afford it why would be buy an old car and modernize it? He clearly wants opinions on the three cars that he's interested in. He also said " newer " I'm going to say it is safe to assume that he's already had/has a 240sx since he wants something newer.

Daniel.
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Are you illiterate? If he's in the market for a new car and can afford it why would be buy an old car and modernize it? He clearly wants opinions on the three cars that he's interested in. He also said " newer " I'm going to say it is safe to assume that he's already had/has a 240sx since he wants something newer.

True. However he's asking for feedback on the Hyundai which he's never driven before.

Driving it for himself would be more valuable than reading some text on a computer screen.

thestreetzking
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I would love a 350z out of the ones you named. My best friend just bought an s2000 and after driving it for a day I was more impressed than I thought I would be, but I feel like its a weekend car and not a daily. The gen coupe looks cool, you might have seen one and thought it was a tiburon.

PNgo12
05-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Well to answer his question out of the three cars I've only driven two but I can only give you feedback on the S2000. The car handles very well for a convertible. The weight distribution is 48/52 which is pretty awesome. I think its a great bang for the buck and it's a convertible. I love convertibles especially for those summer drives. The only time I drove the Z was when I let it rip until third gear down the street so I can't give much feedback on it. The Z is more roomy than an S and the S is pretty small in my opinion. In the end its totally up to you on which car you want the most. Like everyone has said, test drive all three cars and then you'll know your answer.

meteorite_flo
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't know much about either car, but I was told that the s2000 has forged internals if you care about that. But I did drive the s2000, it's a really fun car.

duynguyenn240
05-27-2010, 11:54 PM
s2000 is really small and no torque, and two of my friend have 350z they both blow the motor in 3 month after they get it.

drift freaq
05-28-2010, 12:24 AM
s2000 is really small and no torque, and two of my friend have 350z they both blow the motor in 3 month after they get it.

Your statement does not bear witness to the overall picture of 350Z's because you did not explain what year the cars were. Nor the fact that possibly your friends trashed them from the word go. Or did not allow for proper break in, which is what a lot of people that buy Z's tend to do.

In other words he should not take your word on Z's. LOL

Once again I will say this. To the OP all your going to get here is hearsay and opinions. Go out and drive these cars yourself.

Rather than asking to be spoon fed, read up on driving impressions of the cars on the net and then test drive. Do not ask people to tell you what they think because most are highly biased one way or the other.

Make the decision for yourself, do not base it on what people tell you.

Omarius Maximus
05-28-2010, 06:45 AM
I have friends with 2.0t Genesis coupes and the cars handle really well but are total dogs. It's like taking a G35 and castrating it. You then have yourself a Genesis 2.0t.

My brother has had several 350zs. I don't like the high beltline, feels like you're driving a coffin. I also don't like the VQ engine note. Sounds like a perpetual fart. It has awesome road holding, but feels disconnected. The power was awesome when the cars were new, but now a V6 Mustang will rape most and hang with the HR models. Engine feels like it will self destruct when you take it up the rev range. The noise/vibration/harshness is absolutely ridiculous. The VQ sucks ass in that department. Makes a KA feel like a Rolls Royce engine.

The S2000 is my favorite of your list. It's not fast. But it never had any pretensions of being a truly fast car. The chassis is extremely stiff, not a whole lot of steering feel...but the reflexes are insanely quick. Engine is gutless down low, and you'll have to downshift if you're in a hurry. But the shifter is probably the best in a production car so it's tolerable. Buzzy on the freeway due to rpms, but make no mistake, the engine is actually smoother than the VQ in the Z. It doesn't get nearly as good a gas mileage as a 2.0 liter engine should, but whatever it's a sportscar.

I think in the grand scheme of things, it's a timeless car. Feels the closest out of the bunch to the 240...just better in every objective measure. The fact that Honda hasn't made a successor should make it all the more classic. Nothing like having a 350z when you know the 370 is better in every way. You don't get that vibe with the s2k.

91RMKS13
05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
I drive an S2000 daily and I love it. One of the most fun cars I've ever driven. I have also drive a Genesis coupe with the 3.8 and it was really good. It would probably be easier to live with.

stevenwhite1989
05-29-2010, 01:28 PM
For all of you who seem to think that I am asking which one to get.....I am not doing this, I want to know what people like and dislike about their cars.

Again, I do not want to know which one to get, I want to get insight from people who have owned them.

But there is some good info here, thank you for that.

DreamN
05-29-2010, 01:48 PM
You do know there are forums dedicated to each car you've listed right? Go start a thread on those and test drive each one as well.

pink godzila
05-29-2010, 02:04 PM
test drive all and see which one you like and fit your driving style.

For me I would get s2000 ap1 because they are cheap. S2000 handles very well, all thought; s2000 has no power (to me) but still a fun car to have.

I like 350z but I would rather have the 370z. 350z has good power and also handle very good as well. But like I said, I rather have the 370z instead 350z.

On gen, I would like to test drive it first but very interesting in one of thoese Korean car. Turbo Gen should be fun.....

I really like turbo car so end up buying an EVO 9... love it...

GC240sx
05-29-2010, 03:45 PM
I owed a 350z for about a year, before I turned it into a lemon car. Its a great car to have. Its fast, sexy, loud if you have the right setup. You can eat V8 mustangs all day with it. The parts are cheaper now that the 370z is out, so its now a bigger bang for your buck! Its spacious inside, good for long trips. I must say that I did run into some problems tho ;-/, I owend a 06 base model and I had that infamous oil consumption problem. I ended up having to get a new motor thru nissan cuz of the problem. Luckily it was still under warranty :-(. Despite that issue, i loved my Z.. Goodluck with Buy

Daniel.
05-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I owed a 350z for about a year, before I turned it into a lemon car. Its a great car to have. Its fast, sexy, loud if you have the right setup. You can eat V8 mustangs all day with it. The parts are cheaper now that the 370z is out, so its now a bigger bang for your buck! Its spacious inside, good for long trips. I must say that I did run into some problems tho ;-/, I owend a 06 base model and I had that infamous oil consumption problem. I ended up having to get a new motor thru nissan cuz of the problem. Luckily it was still under warranty :-(. Despite that issue, i loved my Z.. Goodluck with Buy

A) You must have been racing thse Mustangs around a parking lot with lots of twisties, and they must not have known the clutch from the gas.

B)Spacious? What are you, 4'11"?

raz0rbladez909
05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
ok, so instead of doing what half the people in here are doing i will answer

everything i can on the 350z. I have owned my 350z for about a year and a

half, original owner 2008 base 6 speed, and I can tell you pretty much

anything you have interest in. I've had 4 240sx's so i can tell you that the

350z is quite different, in a good way. If you can pick up an HR model, that'd

be the decision i would make, 07-08 models had the vq35hr, 06 had the rev-

up, and 03-05 had the de which im sure you are aware of. Overall the car is

very comfortable for me, i drive it everyday to work which is about a 45

minute commute and have also taken it across the country several times on

drives well over 7-8 hours at a time and haven't been the least bit

uncomfortable. Parts for it are relatively more expensive especially when it

comes to forced induction, but even driving NA should keep a smile on your

face for quite awhile before you desire more power. Starting with the base

model is to me the best route to take, because for the money of buying a

higher model you can put better stuff into the base model.(except for the

Nismo edition which i'd say would be well worth buying) The stock stereo is

nothing to be proud of, even the bose system of the higher models sucks ass,

and the vlsd isn't too special. ah if you have anymore questions just leme

know

stevenwhite1989
06-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks raz0rbladez909. I appreciate the info

WrisColf
06-01-2010, 07:30 AM
i almost disagree on the dont listen but listen to the for the key terms that you are most worried about. 350 is nice, very noticeable.the s2k is nice looking and its a soft top. ( i have a 240 vert and i dont see it ever getting old) the gen looks sick and sounds decent. i heard the automatic 4 door (dont know which motor was it but it was a lady driving so i dont think it was the big v8) one so i can imagine the stick coupe. the interior depends on you completely (depending on how many hours your in your car) i personally dont spend much time in my car just to get to point a to point b and meets and what not but my brother on the other hand, his audi is his office all his papers and wat not are in there. now the ride experience thats totally on you depending on how u like the ride and handle. go to the dealer and drive them as hard as the road let you. technically they cant say anything since those cars are more or less "proformance" cars.

bardabe
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
ok, so instead of doing what half the people in here are doing i will answer

everything i can on the 350z. I have owned my 350z for about a year and a

half, original owner 2008 base 6 speed, and I can tell you pretty much

anything you have interest in. I've had 4 240sx's so i can tell you that the

350z is quite different, in a good way. If you can pick up an HR model, that'd

be the decision i would make, 07-08 models had the vq35hr, 06 had the rev-

up, and 03-05 had the de which im sure you are aware of. Overall the car is

very comfortable for me, i drive it everyday to work which is about a 45

minute commute and have also taken it across the country several times on

drives well over 7-8 hours at a time and haven't been the least bit

uncomfortable. Parts for it are relatively more expensive especially when it

comes to forced induction, but even driving NA should keep a smile on your

face for quite awhile before you desire more power. Starting with the base

model is to me the best route to take, because for the money of buying a

higher model you can put better stuff into the base model.(except for the

Nismo edition which i'd say would be well worth buying) The stock stereo is

nothing to be proud of, even the bose system of the higher models sucks ass,

and the vlsd isn't too special. ah if you have anymore questions just leme

know

pretty much hit the nail right on the head. I agree with him on everything I've been the owner of an 07 Base for almost 8 months now. very fun car. the N/A power on these is nice and just like he said it will be a while before you want to boost it. right now my car is sitting at 294whp with bolt on's (intake test pipes and exhaust) and a Tune. if you buy a 350Z make sure to get an 07/08 they piss on all the other year models :D

raz0rbladez909
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
just make sure your 07/08 doesn't have the goddamn CSC (concentric slave cylinder) problem, fucking stupid ass design and yesterday was the second time ive been stranded because of it:rl:

Kwonza Says
06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Whatever makes you look forward to driving your car in the morning. You should just make a poll thread instead of off topic tho..

Pblesh85
06-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I drove the new 370, it was tits. The only downside is it has a high 30k price tag, its so new you will be reluctant to play hard with it, and not too much space for your junk.

But it was a blast to drive. I really want one for my new daily but its not as practicle as an sti(for me anyway).

S2000- its a fun and nimble car that has no cargo space, roof, or torque. My friend has one and it is nice, but not my kind of car.

Hyundai- well its a hyundai and I could never buy one on principle alone. I would kind of like to drive one though. If you bought one you would be in the same kind of group as neon... um I mean srt4 owners. No real place to fit in and something to proove.

Well that is just my :2c: and 1000th post :squintd:

jeb1517
06-01-2010, 06:19 PM
is this your daily driver or weekend car? If it's your daily, steer as far away from the 350 and s2000 as you can. I have no experience with the s2k but my brother had a 350z as a daily.

tahms350z
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I would suggest the Z of course, I own an 03 Enthusiast (step above the base model, gives TCS,cruise control, HID lights and LSD), I have owned this car for more than 5 years and love it.

Having bought an 03 I knew there would be issues with the first year... like the tire feathering, the window motors and regulator going bad, the fuel hose needing to be replace but most of these issues were a recall and were fixed. The following year vehicles had these issues resolved.

I bought this vehicle with high mileage because I have faith in Nissans, and it hasn't let me down, I have 166500 miles on the car now, all I have done to the vehicle is brakes and tires, and have only had to do the brakes once all the way around after putting 80k on the car, tires on the other hand I have probably done 4 times, expect 20k tops out of tires, less if you drive it real hard!

Anyway, that's my experience with the 350z, I take care of the car and drive it 8 months out of the year, any friend or coworker that has driven my car can't believe how tight the car still feels with the age and miles. The engine is still strong as if it had 30k miles, I work for a dealer and whenever we take one in I drive it to see how it feels.

The S2000 is a 4cyclinder 2 seater, the Gen is 4 or 6, but has a back seat, which would you prefer? In my opinion if you wanted a back seat I would go G35, it's a long wheel base Z, but once again I'm a Nissan guy.

Sorry for being so long winded, good luck!

Pblesh85
06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I have 166500 miles on the car now

Damn that is a shit load of miles, my 97' 240 does not even have close to that. And how do you get 20k out of tires on a car while doing ANY KIND of "spirited" driving ?

tahms350z
06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Damn that is a shit load of miles, my 97' 240 does not even have close to that. And how do you get 20k out of tires on a car while doing ANY KIND of "spirited" driving ?

Front tires I usually get 20k or a little more, rears are less of course, and I run them until they really need to be replaced. I'm not drifting or tracking the car either, just driving it.

stevenwhite1989
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Going to look at some EVOs and STIs in NC this weekend hopefully. My reasoning is: I will be dealing with customers quite often, and four door is the way to go, I get a very nice stock building block. It may not be rwd, but im still keeping my 240s. But thanks to those of you that tried to help.

ronmcdon
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Well if you're hauling clients, i'd steer clear of the evo.
I have one ( 08 gsr) and it's terribly noisy on the freeway.
feels like it needs another gear.
otherwise great car imo and not uncomfy otherwise.

Sti always has been the more easy car to live with day to day.
Owned 06 and it was much more quiet and easy on the passengers

stevenwhite1989
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks for your info

JBao
06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Get a 240. Or put more cash into the one you own.

that was dumb.

JBao
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
oh, and rx8. done. its sporty, "4 door," fun, and still classy/ball status.

VROOOM
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM

it does need another gear. i came from a 6 speed and when i first got the Evo i tried shifting into 6th more than a few times.

5pecialist
06-08-2010, 11:24 AM
STI
Not an owner, but drove one. IMHO a disappointment - sounds similar to the Evo ownership experience posted above. Lacked refinement... cheap sounding. *edit: it was an '04 so perhaps they got better with the next gen*

I agree with the Z owners (and the suggestion of the G35).

VROOOM
06-08-2010, 11:31 AM
if you do get an Evo. a turboback exhaust, intake and tune are key. it makes it feel like a totally different car.

bardabe
06-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I test drove a Gen Coupe yesterday actually a couple. one was the fully loaded3.8L version. car sounds awesome, but thats about it. interior feels crowded, the one i drove had no LSD. the 3.8L feels slow i turned off the traction control and the wheels didn't spin when i whomped it in 1st gear. just over all it felt shitty, like a Hyundai huge Fail IMO. the 2.0T i drove the Rspec, all I can say is that honestly its fuckin slow. maybe it needs some boost up or something but it felt like a slow POS. luckily that one had LSD but i felt like i was Drifting a Corolla with the weight of the car i had to clutch kick the fuck out of it. a KA S14 feels more powerful than the 2.0T Genesis. I would say stay away from that. have you considered the new BMW 335I? Inline 6 Twin Turbo. with ecu reflash and exhaust makes about 400whp

kensreliableb18b
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
My order of choice:

1. 370z
2. s2k
3. 350z
4. Gen

driftn_silvia
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Yea, i agree with Bardabe. Both Genesis 3.8 and 2.0t are POS. I am looking for a new car also and i test drove those cars thinking they would live up to the credits.. Nope.

on the other hand, I test drove the 09 STI hatchback, and was really impressed, compared to the 04-06 STI. I did like the interior, power, and the handling. Obviously i dont know if you want to spend the extra 8k on the BBS wheels, you can definetly buy aftermarket wheels.

The EvoX was ok, but the interior was a bit Eeehhhh. Recaro seats werent the greatest, interior didnt flow and power well wasnt what i expected.

Stevenwhite1989- There are so many cars out in the market, such like IS350, GS350, G37's the BMW 3 series basically just have to test drive the cars, and accommodate your needs.

91JayBlueSupra
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
:wavey: Hi there. I own a '00 S2K. I will give you the exact walk through that everyone should know about these cars. The car is truly amazing for a daily driver that is. The car has no HP or torque, 240 crank HP is nice, but if you have no torque to back that up good luck. The interior is very nice and I love the simplicity of all of it.

When I bought it, it was lowered and had rear adjustable tow arms and Ap2V1 rims. I will say it rides better then my friends car with adjustable coil overs, pretty sad. These cars handle better then a lot of sports cars and are a blast to drive. Stock I took it to the track and ran a 14.9 @ 95.5 mph, it's slow and I have had Supra's Vr4's a lot of better cars.

The trunk leaves very little room for anything large, you can fit your beach towel and maybe a small cooler in there. Though it is a 2 seater roadster it is very nice to only have 1 other person in the car, and I like that. People that complain about it being a two seater must realize that they bought the car for them self, and that is exactly what I did.

The engine bay is very easy to work on with so much room, once the air box is taken off, everything can be accessed in the front of the motor.

If you get a S2000 don't buy it for a fast car, by all means it is slow and I was pretty disappointed in the power. I am swapping a 1JZ into it, in about 4-6 weeks now. I like torque.

s13poop
06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
i'll be in the same situation in 6 months

currently driving an 07 2.5i impreza

and looking at a price range of 25k below which means

07-08 350z
07-08 G35 S coupe and sedan
07-08 328i

looking for something good for DD car will be driven 60mi 5 days outta the week

the Z seems to be the best bang for the buck

i haven't really looked into any lexus cars

4bangers
08-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a 03 350z performance trim and I was wondering how do you make the z faster w/o turbo? because turbo for the z is so expensive...

I was thinking EVO and STi are so much easier to gain power, simple exhaust/intake/tune and you get load of power...

h2v7
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
i hear that s2000;s are usually a big let down in the end.

raz0rbladez909
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
i hear that s2000;s are usually a big let down in the end.

You must've heard from people who thought it was going to be the end all be all of sports cars because its a honda. I honestly don't see how someone could be disappointed in the car, maybe disappointed in themselves for not realizing what they bought. I personally find the s2k to be an awesome car, yeah its no drag racing car or a trailer queen but that's not what its supposed to be, its meant to handle, and that it does very well. Not to mention gets pretty decent gas mileage to boot for a daily.

Now with my 350z, since my last post on this thread i've had to take it back to the dealer 3 more times since the first i talked about, they still haven't been able to correct it so now i'm filing a lemon claim on it. Don't get me wrong, the 350z is a great car(when it works) but the stupid shit that it has caused me has left a bad taste in my mouth about post 2003 nissans so i'll probably never buy a newer nissan ever again. Some people get lucky with theirs, but most have a problem or two throughout the cars life and reliability should not be an issue on a 2008:mephfawk:

Honestly for a newer car I don't even know what i'd get, quite possibly a subaru wrx or sti, or even one of the newer mustang gt's because they are fucking fast. Do what makes you happy but test each one for quite a bit before biting the bullet, car payments suck, so make sure that payment is going to be worth it.

240Shwag
08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
I daily drove an S2k for a couple of weeks. I would pass on it.
I didn't feel you were getting what you paid for with it.
Not very comfy for the longer rides. You legs will tell you.

It kinda reminded me of a more luxurious acura car, except with a quarter of the comfort. Civic meets NSX lol.

ObleZk
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Had an 08STI and loved it, sadly had to sell it, was considering a Gen coupe myself until I test drove one, as stated previosly... they are SLOW! im not sure why but all those killer looks gone to waste! the turbo must be at 5psi stock or something if that even. and the interior felt cheap and plasticy! ive driven an 08 350Z for about 75 miles, felt comfy but too small and couldnt stand the lil tiny windows on the rear felt like a massive blind spot... but the 350z was better then the Gen coupe in every other aspect haha!

good luck

deolio
09-13-2010, 12:48 AM
i have a z and test drove a s2k.

the z is my dd and is perfect. rides smooth even though it's slammed. it's just fun all around and is quick enough for me. personally, i like that it doesn't have a bunch of space. i'm not a fan of having a ton of people making a mess in my car or loading it up with a bunch of shit. so the only real downside is that i don't like how it drifts, although i could probably make it better, but that would ruin the smooth ride that i love so much...

i loved the s2k. it felt like it was more driftable even in stock form. the only reasons why i didn't get were: it's a honda and it seems like most of the people that own them are tools that i don't want to associate with (sorry if i offend anyone hahaha). dumb reason i know...

worangejuice
09-13-2010, 01:03 AM
hmmmm, Nissan, Honda, or Hyundai?
hmmmmmmm
And yes, it does go in this order.
I've driven an S2000 and it was fun as hell. Just animal 'video game' instincts, makes watching the digital tach reach 9000 fun as crap!
But if I could actually afford a 350z I would have a 350z. I imagine the insurance would be way lower on a coupe, than a vert. +these are older now and you could scoop up a 2000+ model for cheaper now.

bardabe
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
you should test drive my Z, then buy it lol

Farzam
09-13-2010, 01:37 AM
I love my s2000. It's perfect. This video kinda shows why.

YouTube - Controlled Insanity Partial Fluffy Clouds and Puppy Dogs Run at Wake the Dragon 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBBRcWL61eU&)

-You can get them all day for under 10k.
-The engines just feel efficient and smooth.
-24-29mpg and I drive like a prick.
-Stock suspension is amazing.
-Parts aren't expensive.
-The gauge cluster is fucking digital and super badass and cool looking.
-VTEC is intense.
-High RPMs are cool too.
-The gearing is fun.
-Hondas are straight up reliable.
-The engine start button is cool. No turnin keys. Makes me feel thug.
-Stock sets rock. The interiors are just simple and graceful.
-They don't come with a bunch of unnecessary crap like traction control. There aren't auto models. It's a car meant for fun.
-ap2 taillights just look sick.
-Most parts available are baller. Not much BS to sort through.
-Convertibles are fun. They look sick with hardtops. Knockoff hardtops are dirt cheap.

Bad stuff.
-Not much room. I'm a tiny guy and I have 2 240sx and plenty of friends with bigger cars so yea. I put bride vios III in there so noone bigger than 34 waist can sit in my car anyways.
-You can't drift them awesome. Only weaksauce stuff. Don't sell your 240sx for a down payment.
-No torque. Just gotta rev that bitch.
-The diffs aren't the sturdiest. They're cheap and so are trans and clutchess tho.
-Not much cool aero. New stuff comes out every day that's dope though. If you're not a ricer you'll live.

All in all they're not bad at all. At first when I got my s2000 I thought I was gonna end up wanting to sell it, but really I just wanna drive the shit out of it. My roommate has a 500+whp stock block gt35r ap1 with stock cams/clutch... it drives fucking amazing. under 4500rpm it drives stock, and then it just slams you black. We raced an e90 m3 with an active autoworks supercharger....10-90 roll and we were dead even with it...on LOW BOOST 8psi ~360whp.

Genesis sound badass with bolt ons. My buddy owns one. They handle mods well, all in all fun cars. I'd wait a few years until they come out with a way cooler version with less problems but honestly it'll be virtually the same i bet.

I like 350z's but I bet I would've been less happy if I got one. I still have an sr20'd hatch and another project 240sx...I still like Nissans more.

fliprayzin240sx
09-13-2010, 07:26 AM
My only gripe with the S2K is that I felt fucking claustrophobic in it with the top up. I've never had that panic feeling till I drove it for a couple of days wheny my S14 was down. That feeling like everything around me was closing in while I was driving it to my wife's house, 40 mins away.

I've driven my buddy's miata and did not have that feeling...

How much are hard tops on these? If I get it, I'd toss the fucking soft top and get a hardtop. Maybe having a lil head room would make me feel differently about this car.

alexanderig
09-13-2010, 08:03 AM
I owned a 2002 s2000 bought it with 80k miles and after a while the tranny went, but that might've been from the previous owners tendencies. Either way I loved the car. Nice and fun to drive really nimble. Now the car was totaled because the seats were stolen, at the end of the day it's a Honda and depending where you live you might have problems with thieves.

enigmadsm
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I used to have a 03 350z black with orange leather seats. LSD from factory...I also used to own a red 2000 S2000.

The s2k was a great car, it put a smile on my face EVERY SINGLE TIME i drove it. it was so nimble, handled great, sounded amazing with a single exit exhaust etc...however after about a year it would get tedious to dive every day. especially when i worked 30miles from home.
I also took it on a road trip to so cal (about 5hrs) and surprisingly i could fit a small suitcase in the trunk, but that was about it. the inside was cramped with me and the wife and any type of snacks/our jackets/etc.
It ended up getting the top cut, the seats stolen, tach, shift knob,steering wheel etc...So a few grand later it was back to normal and then about 2 months later the whole thing got stolen. I didn't have any type of theft issues with my Z, and it seemed like all the honda fanbois were looking for SWEET OEM S2K parts.

My Z was much more comfortable to drive everyday and having the hatch was easier to throw shit in the back while driving. the stereo was slightly better but still sucked...I don't think its easy to mess up the exhaust note on these cars, just do your research on what you want to get and listen to sound clips before you buy. thats all.

Both cars can have a pretty bad ass stance and fitment. Both cars for me were about the same speed (you just had to drive the S different)
I ran a ~13.6 bone stock with both cars and they were within 1-2mph trap speed. so thats a wash.

The suspension is more forgiving on your body when dailying on bumpy roads in the Z...but you can definetly feel the weight in the steering of the car and the drive by wire throttle gets annoying as well.

Think thats about it...I don't have any comments on the Genesis since I've never driven one. But they look sweet! and they do seem to be slugs from the factory but respond really well to mods