PDA

View Full Version : s13 5 speed swap question

Willyd6869
05-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I am in the process of turning my Auto S13 into a 5-speed. I can get a manual transmission lower harness for free, and was wondering if this will bypass all the wiring in the DIY tutorials? Does it plug into the upper harness with no problems?

dnavarro_S13
05-26-2010, 07:19 PM
That just might do it. It should be direct Plug-&-Play.

onevia drift
06-06-2010, 01:08 AM
i did this swap like 2 weeks ago and it was a direct plug in.

CantSTOP
06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Is it the same for a S14?

g6civcx
06-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I am in the process of turning my Auto S13 into a 5-speed. I can get a manual transmission lower harness for free, and was wondering if this will bypass all the wiring in the DIY tutorials? Does it plug into the upper harness with no problems?

No.

The VSS and reverse lights are definitely different.

The alternator and starter may or may not be the same depending on the car.

The oil light may or may not be the same.

CantSTOP
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
^^Thanks for clearing this up.

g6civcx
06-25-2010, 09:32 AM

S13 to S14 lowers are definitely different. There are some similarities but it won't be plug and play.

When doing the lower, you really have to customize the lower harness to the shell. Each shell is different and there is no plug and play option.

Not good but that's how Nissan is.

DALAZ_68
06-25-2010, 09:37 AM
No.

The VSS and reverse lights are definitely different.

The alternator and starter may or may not be the same depending on the car.

The oil light may or may not be the same.

to add to this (because i WAS wondering the same when i wanted to clean up my 5spd conversion)

the Neutral, Reverse and VSS plugs are different...

the reverse light is in the gear selector wiring switch.

or so im told...

g6civcx
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
to add to this (because i WAS wondering the same when i wanted to clean up my 5spd conversion)

the Neutral, Reverse and VSS plugs are different...

the reverse light is in the gear selector wiring switch.

or so im told...

I never wire up the neutral switch.

The reverse lights are in the inhibitor witch harness. You need to pluck the pigtail and wire it up to the manual reverse lights.

Same for VSS. Just pluck the pigtail that plugs into the battery box harness and wire it to the sensor.

DALAZ_68
06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I never wire up the neutral switch.

The reverse lights are in the inhibitor witch harness. You need to pluck the pigtail and wire it up to the manual reverse lights.

Same for VSS. Just pluck the pigtail that plugs into the battery box harness and wire it to the sensor.

thats what my installer did...but the loose wiring not used annoys me...so ima just cut em or have someoen do it...

projectRDM
06-25-2010, 12:46 PM
That just might do it. It should be direct Plug-&-Play.

Don't guess. If you don't know, don't post. Simple.

i did this swap like 2 weeks ago and it was a direct plug in.

It does plug in, but the wiring you're looking to add won't be in the chassis. You wasted your money.

No. This has been covered for a decade and a half, don't people read anymore?

An auto chassis, whether S13 or S14, is not prewired for the manual sensors. Why? Because it's an automatic. Think about it. Sure a manual lower harness plugs in, but the wiring needed for the reverse switch, 4th gear and 5th gear switches, and neutral switch do not exist on the chassis side. If you take your lower harness apart by unwrapping it, you'll see the starter, alternator, oil pressure switch, and VSS leads all will plug right back in as they were. You can eliminate everything else unless you want reverse lights, which you then hardwire, and of course you have to jump the inhibitor switch. You don't need anything else unless you're trying to keep the CEL off, in which case you will have to hardwire the remaining switches as well. The wiring for them is NOT found in the car. Period.

g6civcx
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
The easiest way to do this is to unplug the auto lower harness and keep as much as possible. Don't throw away any wiring.

Go to the lower harness on the manual. Eliminate what you don't need as said above.

For everything else, find where the wires are on the manual lower harness. Clip the connector off.

Go to the auto lower harness. Use the FSM and find where the target wires are. Clip the connectors off and leave some pigtails.

Connect the pigtails from the auto lower to the bare wires on the manual.

You have to go wire for wire. There is no substitute.

pacotaco345
06-27-2010, 08:28 AM
The easiest thing to do is just take the auto lower harness off, take the bottom plug from the auto harness, splice the two wires together, and plug the sensor holes in the 5spd... Just be careful when you're backing up

g6civcx
06-27-2010, 10:56 AM
The easiest thing to do is just take the auto lower harness off, take the bottom plug from the auto harness, splice the two wires together, and plug the sensor holes in the 5spd... Just be careful when you're backing up

I have no idea what this means to splice random wires together.

supreme_1
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
what does VSS stand for?

roniSX
07-27-2010, 06:01 PM
i want to do the 5speed conversion too but does it pass the california smog?

roniSX
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
i want to do the 5speed conversion too but does it pass california smog?:ughd:

CantSTOP
07-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Did you really have to post it twice? loll

If your car can pass smog before the 5 speed swap, then it should pass with the 5 speed swap.

roniSX
07-29-2010, 01:52 PM
sorry i thought it didn't go through the first time.. :D

Grip-Kid92
09-18-2010, 10:59 AM
um i have a question...see im doin a five speed swap on my 92..93...one of those...240sx hatch and nico says that i gotta remove the pilot bushing and a local shop that speacilizes(not sur i spelled that right) in nissan's says it's gotta come out so i rented a pilot bearing removal tool from auto zone...it broke...went to a different store rented same tool it broke as well ...went to harbor freight BOUGHT one....it broke and damn near hit me in the face to...im pissed...and i donno wut to do... does a auto 240sx even have a pilot bushing... plz hlp me

drift freaq
09-18-2010, 11:17 AM
yes the auto 240sx has a pilot and yes they are a bitch to remove. Yes you do have to remove it to put in a new one.

Now as far as the question of the 5 speed swap passing smog? On a s13 doing a five speed swap and wiring only your reverse lights and VSS will not trigger a check engine light. So ya its fine on the smog no worries.

As far as the rest of the wiring questions go. This stuff was covered here in the stickied Auto to 5 speed faq I wrote in the archives and Faq section. Its only been there for 7 years plus.

It would help a whole lot of you, if you took the time to read it.

Grip-Kid92
09-18-2010, 11:40 AM
thnx alot drift freaq i was told by a friend that autos dont have pilots and i was seriously pissed lol thnx alot for clearing this up

Grip-Kid92
09-22-2010, 09:54 AM
does n e body have n e suggestions as to wut tool to use besides the rent a tool from autozone or advanced or the p.o.s. i bought from harbor freight...is there some awesome tool that does it on the first try or am i doomed to keep breaking tools till it comes out????

japordie
10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
glad i read this tread it sure cleared some thing up.

Bubba Chaos
10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
glad i read this thread it sure cleared some thing up.

Same here I'm getting ready to do this swap I have most of the parts as of now just waiting till we move to tackle this one.

When I do get around to it I will definitly post pics