PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer...concerts or raves?

mixxamike
07-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Hey, just thought i'd start a new topic.

Well...which do you prefer, concerts or raves. Which ones have you been to?

I just went to my first rave in May. I saw Donald Glaude and Richard Humpty Vision. It was un-fuhking-believable! They were both rocking the place like you wouldn't believe. Glaude more than RHV in my opinion, but I only saw about 20 minutes of RHV's set (my friend looked like he was gonna die sweatting to death, lol, so we left).

I also just went to my first concert. I saw Dave Matthews at The UNB Bank Pavillion. Not a bad show at all. Very talented bunch indeed.

All in all, I think I'm more of a rave type of guy. I really only listen to electronic music anyway. I'm a basement DJ as well. But concerts are pretty fun also. Just a diffent type of fun. I went to the rave with my friends to party and get my groove on (man i love raves!). I went to see Dave with my girl not really to party so much as to just be with her :D

what do you guys think?

peace...errr...rather "PLUR" :D ;)
Mike

s13chica
07-13-2003, 02:48 AM
PLUR...ahhhh...that brings back memories. Although I'm super glad that you had a blst at the rave, you should have been around about 6 years ago...it was so much better then. People were just so much more relaxed before all the negative publicity.

Overall I have to agree with you, I have much more run at a rave than a concert. But then again a rave is much more interactive, and since you mainly listen to electronic music anyways...it makes sense that you would like raves better.

BEISSEN
07-13-2003, 08:58 AM
I like rave more as well.I have not been to many or kept up just listen to electronic,bass,techno and see if if its anygood to me.I like fast hard hitting music.I am kinda scared to go back to raves due to drugs and **** I cant get caught up around that **** since I am in the military now and crazy people going to them doing stupid stuff.

TheTimanator
07-13-2003, 11:50 AM
I'm a concert lover!!! I better be since that is what I'm going to school for. I've never been to a rave to be honest, but I'm not really into electronic music anyway. There is nothing like the feeling of standing at a concert and feeling the music....:eek:

ruf
07-13-2003, 02:12 PM
PLUR.

Candy raver since the 90's. Office drone since 2000. :(

drift freaq
07-13-2003, 03:30 PM
quote s13chica [PLUR...ahhhh...that brings back memories. Although I'm super glad that you had a blst at the rave, you should have been around about 6 years ago...it was so much better then. People were just so much more relaxed before all the negative publicity.

Overall I have to agree with you, I have much more run at a rave than a concert. But then again a rave is much more interactive, and since you mainly listen to electronic music anyways...it makes sense that you would like raves better.]

damn, I wonder if I know who you are? I am old school used to throw Happy Happy Joy Joy in 92-93 and put on Diversecity from 93-98. Yup ex bay area person. Sad thing is Raves suck now. They are not what they used to be and the scene is pretty much dead.
I have moved on to more of a conbination of electronic and rock that still has a underground feel but more of the masses appreciate it. Its also more of a band thing these days. All the top dance acts now try to do the full band thing when they play live. Unless someone waves big wads of cash in their face to DJ and half the time they suck as DJ's BT is a classic example of that.Brilliant musican/composer writes great tracks can't DJ his way out of a paper bag.
Me? I make no bones about it. I write and produce and perform live. I do not DJ I am not a DJ. I make the music that DJ's use to get the message across.
Used to perform Jungle live with DJ Sideburn slim . Jungle is not as large as it used to be either.Still it influences my music big time.
ex raver , hahhahahhahahhaha:bow:

SilviaDriver
07-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Raves fo sho! raver since mid 90s. its kinda sorry now but back in the bay when they had Home Base..it was off the top. but yea..Raves

ca18guy
07-13-2003, 11:46 PM
I'm too white to dance :wtc: So concerts it is, pushing people while running in a circle is so much easier then trying to keep all my extreminites in some controlled rythem.

AKADriver
07-14-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by ca18guy
I'm too white to dance :wtc: So concerts it is, pushing people while running in a circle is so much easier then trying to keep all my extreminites in some controlled rythem.

hahaha... yep, basically the same here. I can't dance, I don't wanna dance, so screw it. I'd rather just wreak havoc and enjoy music performed on live instruments. Yes, I know some talented turntablists, so you don't need to give me that speech. It's not my thing either way.

SR240DET
07-14-2003, 01:17 AM
i got a question for you west coast people... im in florida... my friend is all about raves... what is the rave scene like now in cali? can somebody from the west coast explain?

fooddude
07-14-2003, 03:03 AM
Scene in socal is almost dead. Too many laws, so most end at 2 or 4. When there were those humongo socal massives of 20-30K people, that was just a phase for majority and everyone burned out. Most people are jaded and don't have a true party mentality like European or other countries or areas and don't party their asses off. Line ups aren't as good as before. But hey, I'm still down to go and still go once in a blue moon. Notice it's going more underground and noone wants to go to these events anymore. I have no idea how to help the scene or if it's even possible to help the scene from dying. What'evs...I'll still bump D&B, House and progg!!!:rawk:

negular
07-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Depends what mood I'm in. Raves are usually more fun, but nothing compared to a TOOL concert. Both are also much better 'enhanced.' E for raves (of course). Acid/shrooms/bud for concerts. IMO

tougebear
07-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Ahhh, faves. It does bring back fond memories.

I've only been to one concert in my life so I don't really have much to compare with but raves especially the outdoor ones... you can't compare it to anything else.

I know socal people would know the desert raves in Indio, Narnia, and the good ol' Circa's.

Warwick5s
07-15-2003, 02:10 PM
nothing beats sitting back in a dark club with your girl listening to some great jazz music.

live music forever.

whateverjames
07-16-2003, 10:37 PM
I listen to metal and drum n' bass. Seen many bands, been to one rave. Not dissing DJ's but I rather hear/see a live drummer utilize a full kit with double bass drums :rawk:

http://systemsilence.com/mosh.gif

dk
07-17-2003, 08:36 PM
heh- just got some news and i remembered seeing this thread-

i've just been told some friends and i are throwing a free party on the 25th (we got tired of the word "rave" some time ago). occasion? uhm, my birthday's coming up soon, so's my friend tyler's... we usually don't need much of an excuse :)

so, bay area cali kids: should be less than a half hour from berkeley/oakland. remote outdoor area w/ a nice view. want info, hit me up.

Bill Roberts
07-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Another long post by me..I can feel it, hope you like the read.

As you folks probably know, I was born in 59.

So, my first real concert was classical with the parents in 65. We saw the Philharmonic do Gershwins Rhapsody in blue and American in Paris, some debussy works and some Choplin. My Dad always had a fairly high end sound system and with this, I fell in love with live symphonic and classical music at an early age. Pops was hip enought to experiment in some bebop jazz and we had a wide variety of music to listen to.

This said, lets skip ahead to 76. Disco is what we had then as what is now the same type of scene as rave. Most discos then had killer sound systems and we would go to enjoy the tunes, the long plays of our favorite music (then) and all the Women...Jeeze the places were packed with babes. Get a 76 thru 82 issue of Playboy and look at those chics and see if they don't have a special look about them..HOTT!! And smiling and friendly and ready to rock..always. The word NO was not in their vocabulary...of course this is before protection was used as a normal thing.

Well to reserve bandwidth, as long as a crowd is in some sort of control (Phuck the mosh pits, I had to fight my way out of that BS

:bs:

I enjoy ALL Forms of music, from Rhapsodys to Rap, from House to Jazz, to Operas (actually I hated opera until I attended some concerts and it is acoustical and killer) I love all venues.

I have a mastering facility and master many different types of music for a living. I am in front of the speakers 12 hours every day.

I never grow tired of Music or a good vibe.

I am pretty open minded about all venues..no real favorite between concert and rave. I am just out of place in a rave venue like, hey baby snatcher, what the hell you doing "up in" here. I get that at times..I just say, same as you, scared of competition?

Since I am as old as I am, raves are not as appealing due to the occasional :mrmeph: and all the frowny faced women that would not smile if they had a dick in their....(face)

No Problem./

sykikchimp
07-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Bill Roberts
and all the frowny faced women that would not smile if they had a dick in their....(face)

No Problem./

you know.. whats up with that??!?!? Women seem to be more and more bitchy these days..

Bill Roberts
07-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Well they seem to like to bearound other women..perhaps that is the situation.

Lesbos.

1. that get satisfaction.
2. They cant get pregnant.
3. They don't worry about any commitment
4. Women satisfy Women quite well in the bed.

Notice, no shortage of smiles around their friends..:bash:

mixxamike
07-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Well, I like my first rave soooo much (Setting of the Sun) so I'm going to another one this Saturday. It's called "Whatchamacallit," and it's going to be freaking awesome.:aw: DJ Micro along with Pleasurhead and the local DJ Nitro are going to be ripping it up until 4am.

If any of you St. Louisans are interested, check it out here (http://www.nightcrawlerproductions.com/).

I really would suggest going. I'm not an experience raver by any means, but from the looks of this site, it will be an incredible night.

However, I also like the Dave Matthews concert so much that I think i'll be going to see OAR in Columbia, MO on the 2nd of August. Now that's a really great band too.:)

What can I say, I just loooooove music!

fooddude
07-21-2003, 02:47 AM
haven't been to a party in a while...but me and a few friends are going to this SoCal one:Fly Away (http://www.teknoklub.com) I think it'll be at Pico Rivera Sports Arena!

fooddude
07-21-2003, 02:47 AM
double post edit

weirdstyles.net
07-21-2003, 06:44 AM
Concerts. I love raves and all, mad energy but I have been a metal head since I was born. I grew up in concerts. My first being the Black Sabbath Reunion tour; feat. Pantera to open.

I work for Road Runner Records (http://www.roadrun.com) so I see a lot of shows and can honestly say there is no thrill like a good solid setlist. From Slayer to the likes of Good Charlotte or Live, almost any show (for me) will top a rave.

Unless John Digweed is there and Heaven Scent and sending me into my own lil world... then its a different story...

I suddenly turned rave/techno about two years ago and I love techno. I like raves and the shizzle but I cant stand watching people with Vicks Vapor-Rub and a face mask, just ****es me off. At concerts you have weed/alcohol and maybe nitrious. nothing to really bother me all that mutch, but at Raves its E, Percks, Valume, Oxy/Hydro yada yada yada...oh yea, and coke just blew up in my area too...damnit

SiDeWaYs S150sx
07-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Concert for shure...

I didn't kno people still went to raves, lolz...
not tryin to rip on ne one if that's ur thing go for it. I jus personally think that raves are:ghey: