PDA

View Full Version : LOST (tv show)

atutt
05-23-2010, 08:33 AM
So I searched and was surprised no one made a thread about this show.
There's one for so many other shows, lol

So who's watching the big series finale tonight?
$900,000 for a 30 second time slot for commercials. Sounds pretty big.

I'll admit I was never into this show and always thought it was stupid. Saw one episode way back and it made no sense.
A friend tried convincing me to watch it from the start. After a few months of telling mme to watch it I finally did.

Now I can't wait to see the series finale...

handinpants
05-23-2010, 08:39 AM
yeah i placed an add for the episode tonight it wasn't that expensive... just watch you'll see my add... for my solution to the show called found

G3Rome
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Yea, I was skeptical about Lost too, but a few weeks ago I started watching the first few episodes and it got me addicted. Great show!

However, I am going to wait until it gets on Hulu.

DJPimpFlex
05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Man this is the worst show ever. I've been watching it since the beginning and I have watched every episode and I simply can't wait for it to be over so I don't have to think about it ever again. The only reason I'm watching it is because I'm so invested.

TO MANY QUESTIONS AND STILL NO ANSWERS!

At this point I only give it a 2% chance of ending it properly, but its going to leave so many rocks unturned, I can feel it.

Xplat
05-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Has anyone ever seen that movie cube?

4-6 people in a giant rubix cube with booby traps all over the place.

They never explain why they were placed in it, who did it, or even what was outside once they finally got out.

I hate that feeling when so many basic questions go unanswered.

I only invested an hour and half into that movie though. Lost on the other hand I dropped as soon as it became obvious they were just stringing you along without explaining anything.

DJPimpFlex
05-23-2010, 01:23 PM

They never explain why they were placed in it, who did it, or even what was outside once they finally got out.

I only invested an hour and half into that movie though. Lost on the other hand I dropped as soon as it became obvious they were just stringing you along without explaining anything.

I feel exactly the same way. I wish I got out sometimes, but after tonight well see if the wait was worth it. If they can answer a lot of the questions I have then I will be satisfied, but honestly I have a good feeling its going to be some stupid blanket answer and its going to suck major balls.

NINJASPY
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
multiple plot twists, multiple deaths and reincarnations... LAME.
If you miss one episode you get LOST.

RurouniMidnight
05-23-2010, 02:36 PM
been watching since the beginning, can't wait for the finally going to go to my other buddies house having a watch party over there. I do feel it will still leave many things un answered also i guess we'll find out soon.

ZilviaKid
05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
first season was GREAT!
second was mediocre.
third was shit.
forth was shitter.
fifth was even worse some how.
i havent even watch this new season because im sure SOMEHOW that they made it even worse.

LifePlazaCircuit
05-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Yea, I was skeptical about Lost too, but a few weeks ago I started watching the first few episodes and it got me addicted. Great show!

However, I am going to wait until it gets on Hulu.

you can watch all of the episodes for free on abc.com

speaking of which i'm pretty excited for the finale tonight :drama:

ericcastro
05-23-2010, 02:55 PM

That movie was also a major step in independent films and Digital and story telling.
The movie literally takes place in a fucking cube with a couple people, all with personal motives they dont share as well as the ones they vocalize to others wether its actually true or not.
Very Hitchcock kind of story telling.
(sorry, you start talking about films and i get all excited)

They have been explaining things the whole time.
Usually they smartly make one answer create another question.

Think thats why the last season has partially been boring.
We are getting answers, but no more questions since they are summing everything up.
So instead, its a bunch of answers and using action to visually keep us interested, instead of questions and puzzles to keep us interested.

multiple plot twists, multiple deaths and reincarnations... LAME.
If you miss one episode you get LOST.

Kind of like when you skip a chapter in a good book??
So you want a show thats main theme is so irrelevant that when you miss an episode, you wont even notice cause it wont matter?

that sounds like fun.
real cliff hanger type of thing.

Typically all shows that really have large audiences are made to string you along and keep you interested in the next episode.
They have their smaller story lines and arcs for the episode, but also work on a larger scale to use the entire season as well.
from the Xfiles to I love Newyork.
TV is made to make money, and that means bringing you back and keeping yo interested.

So strange that people are complaining about a show being good and keeping you interested???

Prolly the same people that loved transformers 2.
I, on the other hand made it about 8 minutes in and had to turn it off, lol.

i will be watching it in the week.
Gave up cable years ago.

Did talk with the stuntman from this season that jumped the car off the dock.
That stunt has an interesting story behind it.
That was cool.

ronmcdon
05-23-2010, 05:24 PM
So I searched and was surprised no one made a thread about this show.
There's one for so many other shows, lol

So who's watching the big series finale tonight?
$900,000 for a 30 second time slot for commercials. Sounds pretty big.

I'll admit I was never into this show and always thought it was stupid. Saw one episode way back and it made no sense.
A friend tried convincing me to watch it from the start. After a few months of telling mme to watch it I finally did.

Now I can't wait to see the series finale...

You searched?
I find that hard to believe.

took me 10 secs to search this prior thread

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/235705-lost.html

ericcastro
05-23-2010, 05:51 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iggE4ImYwyc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iggE4ImYwyc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggE4ImYwyc)

LifePlazaCircuit
05-23-2010, 08:50 PM
lost on in 1 hour 12 minutes for us west coast people

tricky_ab
05-23-2010, 10:41 PM
The internet fallout over the final episode is going to be EPIC!

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 12:55 AM
That had to be the worst show ever. I want my 6 years back. Seriously the most generic blanket answer and no questions answered. Fuck fuck fuck fuck Lost.

amdnivram
05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
came in expecting to get nothing answered and im happy

meteorite_flo
05-24-2010, 01:03 AM
We had this at our season finale get together.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs358.snc3/29532_903759611363_3230445_49103721_4896928_n.jpg

DataXUnknown
05-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Ok so pretty much, my girlfriend has watched every episode from season 1 up until today. Never missed an episode. She would always mention it and her frustrations with it. I told her I would someday watch it all and keep up with her. Turns out, I watch it tonight with her, the finale, and I understood the entire 6 seasons without even watching one episode. She totally called it too, about what was going on and the whole purgatory thing.

Xplat
05-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Many people thought it was purgatory and they flat out said it wasn't that.

Finale episode rolls around and they were like.. Fuck. You guys called that one out back in season 2... but we had to lie to make it seem like we actually had a good idea up our sleeves.

Masa
05-24-2010, 04:34 AM
disappointing end to a show I really liked and followed since day one.

the "aloha to lost: jimmy kimmel live" show was better than the final episode.

LifePlazaCircuit
05-24-2010, 04:45 AM
"Jimmy Kimmel Live: Aloha to LOST" - All the Videos/Alternate Endings (http://the-odi.blogspot.com/2010/05/jimmy-kimmel-live-aloha-to-lost-all.html)

watch up before it's taken down

irritatedmax
05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T WATCHED IT: SPOILER ALERT! (need to in order to explain)

That had to be the worst show ever. I want my 6 years back. Seriously the most generic blanket answer and no questions answered. Fuck fuck fuck fuck Lost.

What questions do you still have? I am not defensive. I am just wondering if I missed something.

We had this at our season finale get together.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs358.snc3/29532_903759611363_3230445_49103721_4896928_n.jpg

That is AMAZING!

Many people thought it was purgatory and they flat out said it wasn't that.

Finale episode rolls around and they were like.. Fuck. You guys called that one out back in season 2... but we had to lie to make it seem like we actually had a good idea up our sleeves.

They didn't call anything. The island wasn't PURGATORY! The season six bizzaro world was purgatory. That was the big twist. Everything that happened on the island was REAL! That makes it all worthwhile.

I initiallly thought the last episode was a crap shoot, but the more I thought about what happened the more I realized how fitting it was (and just as strange as the rest of the show). You really had to pay attention to Christian's two minute explanation to Jack and then put other tidbits together. Seriously loved the entire show (sure some seasons were slow), but as a whole it doesn't get much better.

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 01:21 PM
4 toes statue, WTF is the light and why didn't Desmond and/or Jack turn into a smoke monster when they went down there? WTF is the smoke monster? Does he get a name? Ever? What happens if they don't keep that light going, they were just very vague about saying "bad things will happen". No babies on the island, until Claire.. no explaination... The list goes on....

Shaminii
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
4 toes statue, WTF is the light and why didn't Desmond and/or Jack turn into a smoke monster when they went down there? WTF is the smoke monster? Does he get a name? Ever? What happens if they don't keep that light going, they were just very vague about saying "bad things will happen". No babies on the island, until Claire.. no explaination... The list goes on....

The light is the islands life. Desmond has electro-magnetic properties that allow him to enter the light and the plug was already pulled out of the hole when Jack entered. The smoke monster is the man in black, Jacobs brother. He can turn into any human figure as long they are dead, such as Jacks dad and Locke. The islands destroys itselfs and sinks into the ocean if the light isn't kept going. The others were most likely wrong about about the babies theory as proven by Jacob and his brothers birth way before any of the Oceanic survivors landed on the island. Everything else, I just don't remember or don't know.

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 02:13 PM
The light is the islands life. Desmond has electro-magnetic properties that allow him to enter the light and the plug was already pulled out of the hole when Jack entered. The smoke monster is the man in black, Jacobs brother. He can turn into any human figure as long they are dead, such as Jacks dad and Locke. The islands destroys itselfs and sinks into the ocean if the light isn't kept going. The others were most likely wrong about about the babies theory as proven by Jacob and his brothers birth way before any of the Oceanic survivors landed on the island. Everything else, I just don't remember or don't know.

I got all that, but why didn't Jack turn into a smoke monster? How does Desmond have those "powers". Why do we care if the island sinks into the ocean? How does it teleport places when you turn that wheel and dislodge it from time? Why does it only move on earth, and why couldn't it end up on some other planet?

They also didn't explain the baby thing because the others were doing tests on pregnant mothers and they couldn't carry to term, so how could they just be "wrong"?

Retarded show is the answer...

Masa
05-24-2010, 03:32 PM
wtf is up with walt and his "powers"?, even though he's older now they could've wrapped up his story by killing him or some ish. why could hurley talk to dead people? why couldn't miles converse with them also?

what did hurley mean when he said to ben outside the church "you were a good number 2" and ben said "you were a better number 1" or something like that?. are they already dead but lived long enough, in real time to build a close relationship on the island?. by ben staying behind and not "letting go" is he still alive?

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
wtf is up with walt and his "powers"?, even though he's older now they could've wrapped up his story by killing him or some ish. why could hurley talk to dead people? why couldn't miles converse with them also?

what did hurley mean when he said to ben outside the church "you were a good number 2" and ben said "you were a better number 1" or something like that?. are they already dead but lived long enough, in real time to build a close relationship on the island?. by ben staying behind and not "letting go" is he still alive?

Yea basically it seemed like Ben was Hurley's Richard, a kind of adviser. Show still sucked, WAY TO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS. Seriously the biggest let down ever. I've raged at like 3 people at work about it today lol.

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
And how come at the end everyone is all buddy buddy and happy. They all went through horrible ordeals together. Ben killed half the people they loved. Jack got people killed yet everyone is just all happy go lucky? I'm tired of thinking about it and glad I don't have to watch it any more. The last episode was like math class, I was just waiting for it to be over.

irritatedmax
05-24-2010, 04:23 PM

The foot statue was a full statue that was destroyed (knocked over) when Richard's ship washed ashore in the storm. I think they used it to display the age of the island more than anything. That's how I took it.

Claire was pregnant prior to coming on the island. Same was the case for Jacob and Man In Black's mother. If you were pregnant when you landed on the island, you seemed to be okay. Sun got pregnant on the island so it was a big issue.

I got all that, but why didn't Jack turn into a smoke monster? How does Desmond have those "powers". Why do we care if the island sinks into the ocean? How does it teleport places when you turn that wheel and dislodge it from time? Why does it only move on earth, and why couldn't it end up on some other planet?

They also didn't explain the baby thing because the others were doing tests on pregnant mothers and they couldn't carry to term, so how could they just be "wrong"?

Retarded show is the answer...

We don't know whether or not Jack was a smoke monster. He died to quickly thereafter. He also had pure intentions. Maybe that played apart.

There were mysteries on the island that the inhabitants, Ben, Richard, Dharma, or Jacob didn't understand. That's why it was so intriguing. I don't need to know why it moves; it is cool that it does. They were trying to survive not analyze the geomagnetics of the island. I think we gathered enough from the Dharma story and Faraday that we knew the island was special. It didn't add to the story to try and explain it all.

Great show is the answer...

A lot of people could see and talk to dead people. It was almost a running theme. Quite appropriate considering the ending. They could see them on and off the island. The show had "otherworldly" properties. It was fiction. Ride the ride.

As for Walt, I don't think it would add anything to the story to bring him back. He was so far removed by season 6 there would be no reason to reintroduce him.

I think Miles had a slightly different dead people ability. He could sense them and knew their pain.

The Hurley-Ben exchange was KEY to understanding the end. That was the writers' way of showing that they lived out their lives (or at least a period) as the number 1 and number 2 on the island. It's like Christian said to Jack. "We all die at some point; some sooner [Boone, Shannon, Charlie, etc.] and some later [Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Ben, Hurley, etc]." So, they were all living in this bizzaro world until they all died in the real world so they could crossover together. Remember, the island was real life.

jon_mr2
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM

so many answers i feel are still yet unanswered... and somewhat still feel lost in some areas.

as for the number 2 and number 1 thing. the flash-sideways world which seems to be purgatory does not have an actual time period... possibly just a time/place where they all meet after they pass to realize that they are actually dead and move on. this showing that hurley and ben did have some sort of life/history after the end of the show guarding the island for who knows how long. and probably kate, sawyer, miles, lapidus all made it back to the united states or wherever and lived there lives till they passed on and ended up in purgatory as well where they all ended up, resolved there issues and moved on to heaven.

i thought there was a bomb on that ajira plane too? maybe i missed something where they disarmed it? and i still dont see the point of the island... because if they were alive the whole time, this couldve been happening anywhere. and why does it have special powers, electromagnetic properties, time traveling abilities... and the list goes on... probably could make a book of questions. haha

let me add couple more, lol. why are those certain people chosen to be on the island... is it predetermined fate. how did jacob know who to pick... or was it that it was already people marked by the lighthouse and jacob just followed the person in the looking glass/mirrors? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!?!? driving me nuts.........

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
You're all to content with open-ended shitty half ass answers. I can't take the the "real world" events are run by super heroes or some shit. Hook it up with radioactive resistance. That would be a sweet power.

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
so many answers i feel are still yet unanswered... and somewhat still feel lost in some areas.

as for the number 2 and number 1 thing. the flash-sideways world which seems to be purgatory does not have an actual time period... possibly just a time/place where they all meet after they pass to realize that they are actually dead and move on. this showing that hurley and ben did have some sort of life/history after the end of the show guarding the island for who knows how long. and probably kate, sawyer, miles, lapidus all made it back to the united states or wherever and lived there lives till they passed on and ended up in purgatory as well where they all ended up, resolved there issues and moved on to heaven.

i thought there was a bomb on that ajira plane too? maybe i missed something where they disarmed it? and i still dont see the point of the island... because if they were alive the whole time, this couldve been happening anywhere. and why does it have special powers, electromagnetic properties, time traveling abilities... and the list goes on... probably could make a book of questions. haha

let me add couple more, lol. why are those certain people chosen to be on the island... is it predetermined fate. how did jacob know who to pick... or was it that it was already people marked by the lighthouse and jacob just followed the person in the looking glass/mirrors? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!?!? driving me nuts.........

Jacob picked them because they were alone and "needed the island as much as it needed them".

jon_mr2
05-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Jacob picked them because they were alone and "needed the island as much as it needed them".

i do remember that part... i just felt it was such a vague answer. but i guess its better than no answer at all. i was just wondering if anyone could elaborate more... possibly something i missed or didnt catch at the time. but maybe its just one of those many things thatll just let you wonder...

deolio
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
i though it was a little bit of a let down since everyone said it was purgatory in like season 3.

irritatedmax
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
And how come at the end everyone is all buddy buddy and happy. They all went through horrible ordeals together. Ben killed half the people they loved. Jack got people killed yet everyone is just all happy go lucky? I'm tired of thinking about it and glad I don't have to watch it any more. The last episode was like math class, I was just waiting for it to be over.

They were all happy and buddy buddy on the island. Sawyer was pissed at Jack over Juliet, but he was over it in a few episodes. That's just how the show went. It would be a boring show if the small circle of characters were all pissed at each other.

They took the bomb that Whitmore planted out. Ben/Richard/Jack were going to put another in, but they never went through with it once they found Lapedus, and it was fight night between Jack and the Smoke Monster.

You're all to content with open-ended shitty half ass answers. I can't take the the "real world" events are run by super heroes or some shit. Hook it up with radioactive resistance. That would be a sweet power.

You watched a fictional show that was clearly NOT reality based for six seasons and now bitch that it wasn't "real world" enough for you. Come on, man. You are reaching. You should have stopped watching when the pilot got ripped out of the plane in the first episode. It was a clear indication of what awesome things were in store.

Exactly. Reasons like that are good enough for me. Really what more do you need.

From what I've heard, they started making the show without a complete storyline. That being said, I think they did a pretty DAMN good job bringing it all together. At the start it was scattered random stuff (e.g. polar bears running out of the jungle) and they had to some center all that and give a passable explanation.

irritatedmax
05-24-2010, 08:02 PM
i though it was a little bit of a let down since everyone said it was purgatory in like season 3.

Sorry to let you down again, BUT it wasn't purgatory. Everything that happened on the island was real.

The parallel world from this season wasn't even purgatory. They weren't being judged or going to heaven or hell; they were just stopping over until all were dead. Jon_mr2 had a good explanation paragraph at the top of this page.

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't mind a little bit of science fiction, but I can't stand fantasy, especially when they try to manifest it in the real world without explanation. Take the show Heros, also a shitty show, but at least there was some scienetific background for the abilities and such. Lost just tells you stuff and doesn't give any reasoning behind any of it. Sorry not enough for me. Not trying to hate, but you can be the one and only person satisfied with the ending.

irritatedmax
05-24-2010, 08:12 PM
DJ, I am not trying to hate on you as well. I just find this rather entertaining since we both were avid watchers with opposite opinions. It just seems like you had your mind made up not to be satisfied before it aired. I had a pretty realistic expectation of what I thought would be answered. They came through and hit the main points. I don't need to know why Miles can sense dead people; show me that smoke monster!

I haven't read any reviews on the finale. Were most viewers let down?

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
DJ, I am not trying to hate on you as well. I just find this rather entertaining since we both were avid watchers with opposite opinions. It just seems like you had your mind made up not to be satisfied before it aired. I had a pretty realistic expectation of what I thought would be answered. They came through and hit the main points. I don't need to know why Miles can sense dead people; show me that smoke monster!

I haven't read any reviews on the finale. Were most viewers let down?

I was mostly going off of the Zilvia community response and the response of my friends that also watch the show. It may have been satisfactory for many of the viewers, but I'm just irritated lol. I haven't read and "official" review of the episode.

atom
05-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm glad they didn't explain what the island was. What the island was wasn't even central to the TV series. The TV series was about the characters and their journey. If I was going to make a comparison, I would compare it to the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. A LOT of people complained about the ending to that anime because they never resolved whatever happened to the fate of humanity against the angels. But that wasn't really the point of the anime, it was about Shinji (the central character) and his journey. In the same way, Lost was about the characters and their journey, and they wrapped up all the storylines mostly, whether you liked it or not.

Besides, does an explanation of what the island is add anything to the story? Was Star Wars better when the "force" was just some unknown mystic force or after George Lucas fucked it up with all the mitochlorian (sp?) crap. The answer you get might just be worse than not knowing.

Personally I think the ending was just OK. I was satisfied, but really not blown away. Sun, Jin, and Saiyid got crappy endings. I liked Desmonds role in the last couple episodes though.

Masa
05-24-2010, 11:26 PM
i agree, desmond was one of my favorites^. his and hurleys stories i can watch over and over.

supposedly on the blu-ray the writers will be explaining/answering some q's that were left unanswered. i mean, they had to have some sort of major storyline that involved walt from the beginning... but had to scrap it cause he hit puberty in his teens, dam kid. he could have came back as a time traveling robot from futures past or something awesomer. kicked mib(smokeys) ass, then everyone lived a happy and a healthy life together! fin.

after thinking about it, i'm alright w/ the finale. atleast they got to complete the series.

i'm gonna go back and watch it from seasons 1-6 again. try to relive the wonder and excitement of not knowing what the hell is going on.

Mikey213
05-25-2010, 02:20 AM
You have to watch it with symbolist goggles also. IE: One part of the finale had a bunch of different religious artifacts and what not laying around in the back ground when the dad goes and says you guys created all of this to find yourselves.

irritatedmax
05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm glad they didn't explain what the island was. What the island was wasn't even central to the TV series. The TV series was about the characters and their journey. If I was going to make a comparison, I would compare it to the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. A LOT of people complained about the ending to that anime because they never resolved whatever happened to the fate of humanity against the angels. But that wasn't really the point of the anime, it was about Shinji (the central character) and his journey. In the same way, Lost was about the characters and their journey, and they wrapped up all the storylines mostly, whether you liked it or not.

Besides, does an explanation of what the island is add anything to the story? Was Star Wars better when the "force" was just some unknown mystic force or after George Lucas fucked it up with all the mitochlorian (sp?) crap. The answer you get might just be worse than not knowing.

Personally I think the ending was just OK. I was satisfied, but really not blown away. Sun, Jin, and Saiyid got crappy endings. I liked Desmonds role in the last couple episodes though.

I am glad I am not the only one who is fine with the island being a mystery. I totally agree.

Desmond is a badass. I thought it was ironic and sad that he ended up back on the island WITHOUT Penny in the end.

i agree, desmond was one of my favorites^. his and hurleys stories i can watch over and over.

supposedly on the blu-ray the writers will be explaining/answering some q's that were left unanswered. i mean, they had to have some sort of major storyline that involved walt from the beginning... but had to scrap it cause he hit puberty in his teens, dam kid. he could have came back as a time traveling robot from futures past or something awesomer. kicked mib(smokeys) ass, then everyone lived a happy and a healthy life together! fin.

after thinking about it, i'm alright w/ the finale. atleast they got to complete the series.

i'm gonna go back and watch it from seasons 1-6 again. try to relive the wonder and excitement of not knowing what the hell is going on.

Haha. You are really hung up on the Walt story. After he was snatched, I don't really remember his character. I was kind of happy (really happy) when the Michael drama settled down. That got old. "Walt! Walt! Have you seen Walt! Walt!" Enough already.

atom
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Desmond is a badass. I thought it was ironic and sad that he ended up back on the island WITHOUT Penny in the end.

I don't think he was stuck there though. Hurley said near the end that maybe people don't have to be stuck on the island now that he's guardian. Now that he's the boss he can make the rules. So Desmond could have gotten off the island eventually somehow.

irritatedmax
05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
That is an excellent point! I forgot about that (I think Ben actually said it).

So in the end, it was Ben, Hurley, Rose, and Bernard holding it down (we'll assume Desmond left). Talk about a Lonely Island.

Now, that leads me to an unresolved question: were there other people still on the island? Like the people from the temple and the ones that were with Locke's camp when Whitmore bombed it?

davidnino111
05-26-2010, 02:23 AM
1st season was dope. the rest just got retarded lol

Masa
05-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Haha. You are really hung up on the Walt story. After he was snatched, I don't really remember his character. I was kind of happy (really happy) when the Michael drama settled down. That got old. "Walt! Walt! Have you seen Walt! Walt!" Enough already.

i'm not hung up on it, it's just one of the huge questions from the first 2 seasons that was never answered. i didn't like walt or michael for that matter. him bitching for his son all the time and the kid was a brat. only good thing about it was when mike killed ana lucia. two birds one stone.

ravinaziankid
05-27-2010, 08:33 PM
This is a pretty good explanation to some questions. I really enjoyed the finale and thought it was really good. Kind of brought back that feeling I had when I first started watching this show when they were introducing all the characters and you felt like you knew them and all.
Found on lostmediamentions this is some guy from Bad Robot (the company that produced Lost) amazing post:

Good stuff on here! I can finally throw in my two cents! I've had to bite my tongue for far too long. Also, hopefully I can answer some of John's questions about Dharma and the "pointless breadcrumbs" that really, weren't so pointless ...

First ...
The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

For me the ending of this show means a lot. Not only because I worked on it, but because as a writer it inspired me in a way the medium had never done before. I've been inspired to write by great films. Maybe too many to count. And there have been amazing TV shows that I've loved (X-Files, 24, Sopranos, countless 1/2 hour shows). But none did what LOST did for me. None showed me that you could take huge risks (writing a show about faith for network TV) and stick to your creative guns and STILL please the audience. I learned a lot from the show as a writer. I learned even more from being around the incredible writers, producers, PAs, interns and everyone else who slaved on the show for 6 years.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

irritatedmax
05-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow. That was a pretty good read. It would be awesome if that was really JJ Abrams who wrote that.