PDA

View Full Version : does anybody have chickens

BustedS13
05-09-2010, 01:55 PM
i've got a decent amount of back yard, and my neighbors aren't right on top of me, so i've been thinking about building a chicken coop and getting some sweet, sweet eggs. does anybody have chickens? my roommate's dad does, but he lives out in the country. i'm mostly wondering how much noise hens make, and so on. it looks like a dirt cheap hobby, but what hidden costs am i missing, etc

feel free to stick it to me about being from the midwest in this thread, too, californians.

Gnnr
05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Get a rooster. Name it little Jerry.

S3hBWpr2UvE

shiftdrift
05-09-2010, 02:14 PM
they are pretty dirty, not gonna lie, they shit everywhere. as far as noise, they aren't LOUD, but it really depends, if they get scared they will make noise but on the norm, they will just make noise every now and then. check with your city if it's cool. fresh eggs are good :) brown eggs are the best.

slamburger
05-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Here in the great state of California only mexicans have chickens.

slamburger
05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
This is what i thought about when i read this thread lolz
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/52DfGir_m_8/0.jpg

iROYAL
05-09-2010, 04:00 PM
This is what i thought about when i read this thread lolz
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/52DfGir_m_8/0.jpg

:rofl: @ the fly sandwiches they were served.

J_Rad
05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Dont get them imo. Their coop will be wallpapered with shit and disease. We had some a while back and ended up just cutting their heads off and making them into a mediocre soup.

nismo619
05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
you lie, you just want to eat them.. jk

chucky norris
05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
my dad has about 10 chickens in the back yard just hanging out. what i hate though is the smell of chicken crap.:tweak:

Touge Noob S13
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
How to Keep a Pet Chicken - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Pet-Chicken)

How to Keep Chickens in a City - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Chickens-in-a-City)

Ceepo
05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
My next door neighbors have chickens, god damn i wanna kill them, they built the coupe about 30 feet away from my bedroom window, we get alot of free eggs from them so thats nice but saturday morning 8am i wanna get my 12 gauge and go to town....

tsx1racer04
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I had two chickens when I was very little. We kept them in the our pretty big backyard. All I can tell you is, if you like the smell of chicken shit...then by all means go ahead and get chickens.

To be honest, you're better off just buying eggs from the stores. The fresh smell of eggs isn't worth the fresh smell of chicken shit...

Tom25666
05-09-2010, 07:49 PM
i used to live in a small town in missouri and one day when i pulled up to the post office there was a chicken picking berries off the bushes. true story.

Souljahzs13
05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I live in Cali, and I own one hen that I had since it was in an egg. Its fully grown now and even though its just one. I dont think its worth it, yea... it gives me dozens and dozens of eggs. I dont think its worth the mess, random loud clucking and smell of poop. Not to mention the flies it attracts, it really bugs when I'm trying to work on my car in the garage and the flies are kamakazing into your face. I have it free roaming and enclosed behind my front gates.

w0nderbr3ad
05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
My dad has a chicken coop with about 7 chickens and 2 roosters. Smells like crap and attracts a ton of flies. But I do enjoy the many eggs that come out. At 4am I can hear those damn roosters in my sleep. We have neighbors on all sides but I haven't heard any complaints from them.

MikeisNissan
05-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I haz chickens..

for dinner.

ronmcdon
05-09-2010, 09:22 PM
the prior resident of my parents' house had some chickens (not roosters).
Its not that expensive, & nor does it need that much room.
the poop cleaning is the worst of it.
chicken shit isn't as easy to clean as say dog poop (they say its slimy) and the odor is worse.
the eggs are great, but otherwise its not worth the hassle.

Matej
05-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Get bunnies.
Bunnies are adorable and delicious.
And then you can be the cool guy that invites people over for bunny meat.
All the girls will be like, "Gasp, oh my gosh."

articdragon192
05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I used to have 4 miniature roosters and 5 miniature hens. Chicken shit really sucks. The coup was always a mess and the smell sucked. Was definitely not worth the eggs.

BustedS13
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
guys complaining about the smell: what's the proximity of the coop to your home? i'd be able to stick mine about 75 feet from my back door. is upkeep more the issue? i could power wash it out. when i sell this house, though, i'm moving into the actual city, so my next back yard will be much more compact.
and people complaining about noise: hens AND roosters making a bunch of noise, or just roosters?
matej: don't want to 187 any animals really, although it would be worth it to let people name them and then eat them later.

Touge Noob S13
05-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Roosters are the noisy ones. Hens just cackle a bit.

chucky norris
05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
i always crack up if one of the chickens escape from my back yard. i get to see my dad running around the neighborhood trying to catch it lol

its pretty funny

ILLES13
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Fawk chickenz.

I got chased by one for miles when i was like 5.

Never again :hide:

Chickennuggetsrockthough!

sickstatus
05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
i laughed out loud ^^^

miravete
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
"chickens are the devil bobby."

lol

sdterrible1
05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I have had many chickens. They don’t make much noise, and if they are it’s not really an unpleasant noise. I live out in the country so it’s little different.

I would say go for it, its cheep and easy to care for them, and the reward is always there lol..

The smell at my place isnt bad at all, you cant even smell it. I had 4 chickens in one coupe and its fine. Its not like your gona have a whole army of chickens shitting everywhere.

iROYAL
05-10-2010, 07:50 PM
i always crack up if one of the chickens escape from my back yard. i get to see my dad running around the neighborhood trying to catch it lol

its pretty funny

The secret is to choke the chicken.

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/434/x/x/x/medias/nmedia/18/36/04/40/18448051.jpg

franklin93zx
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
"chickens are the devil bobby."

lol
I got a giggle out of this

BustedS13
05-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I have had many chickens. They don’t make much noise, and if they are it’s not really an unpleasant noise. I live out in the country so it’s little different.

I would say go for it, its cheep and easy to care for them, and the reward is always there lol..

The smell at my place isnt bad at all, you cant even smell it. I had 4 chickens in one coupe and its fine. Its not like your gona have a whole army of chickens shitting everywhere.

yeah, i'm thinking three chickens would be plenty. i'm not trying to sell cartons of eggs or some shit.

miravete
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
my roomates had never tasted brown eggs, and i cooked them some, and they loved it.

brown eggs are tits :)

get chickens, and make us all some brown eggs. or ban.

DALAZ_68
05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
guys complaining about the smell: what's the proximity of the coop to your home? i'd be able to stick mine about 75 feet from my back door. is upkeep more the issue? i could power wash it out. when i sell this house, though, i'm moving into the actual city, so my next back yard will be much more compact.
and people complaining about noise: hens AND roosters making a bunch of noise, or just roosters?
matej: don't want to 187 any animals really, although it would be worth it to let people name them and then eat them later.

my experience with this (my grandma used to own 3) is
- roosters are the ones making noise usually
- get to know ur local widlife, here its Possums/skunks/stray dogs and cats
- the further the coupe the better, there small but they poop alot, dont think you can train em to poop somewhere
-high fence, they tend ot do the jump on cars or anything within reach and jump fences
-anything outside they can jump on, will get pooped on...
-dont lean shit anywhere that can get them to the ceiling...
-intruducing rooster will most likely result into chicks hatching somewhere...
-get to know your local law about owning these little guys...

gl

DreamN
05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
damn busted, what's next? fresh bacon and and goat's milk? the hillbilly in you is strong. lol

sirfallsalot243
05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
What determines whether a chicken lays brown eggs or white ones?

naibaf
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
white feathers, white lobes = white eggs
red ear lobes = brown eggs

Either way, if they are raised at home, both will taste alot better than the store stuff.

I have some chickens, but I'm also in the middle of nowhere. Pretty easy to keep as long as your coop is secure, and far away from the house..

I also have a crazy rooster that likes to make noise at random times, but you get used to it.

g-via
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
shit is the worst part

and make sure the cats won't get at them

kouness
05-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't have any chickens but my brother does. We grew up around chickens cause my father was really into it. He has an aviary and raises the chickens almost as pets. he does not really consider them chickens, he calls them Fowls. The ones he raises are more related to the pheasant than the normal domesticated ones. He makes a pretty penny from selling though, about 200-500 for a male. if you want to check out his web page, google: kongs red jungle fowl..

If your just looking for one to lay eggs for you to eat. don't bother with it. more hassle of keeping them alive and healthy. Its worse than keeping up with a dog because of the smell and crap it attracts. Remember you have to buy food for it monthly. The eggs you get from it wont make up for it.

Tom25666
05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/320781-about.html
a thread about chickens and a thread about peacocks.
Zilvia: all things s-chassis and farm animals

I LUV MY S13
05-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I live in Cali, and I own one hen that I had since it was in an egg. Its fully grown now and even though its just one. I dont think its worth it, yea... it gives me dozens and dozens of eggs. I dont think its worth the mess, random loud clucking and smell of poop. Not to mention the flies it attracts, it really bugs when I'm trying to work on my car in the garage and the flies are kamakazing into your face. I have it free roaming and enclosed behind my front gates.

haha i knew you were in here...+2 on the shit and stankage

RoadRacer46
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
My father in law has 7 chickens. All are hens so they aren't too loud.They cackle when they are laying eggs. The roosters are the loud ones.
He built a coop for them and would let them out in the back yard every afternoon. After a few months he noticed that all of the grass in the back yard was gone. They peck and scratch at everything and anything. Having fresh eggs is sweet.

beb
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Haha this article made me think of this thread (brown vs white eggs):

Four myths about eggs | Yahoo! Green (http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/132/four-myths-about-eggs.html)

ManoNegra
05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
grew up with animals in the motherland
there were always chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigs and pigeons around
property was pretty big though and they weren't anywhere near the house
as been mentioned, chicken poo is nasty
if you have the room and can put up with the smell, noise and flies then go for it

omgRWDgoodness!
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I'd rather have ducks over chickens. Quack > cluck