PDA

View Full Version : someone I know accidentally drove away with the gas pump still in the car..........

mau5trap
05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
long story short, someone I know accidentally drove away with the gas pump still in the car.......... has this ever happen to anyone? how much will he have to pay for the damage?

RiversideS13
05-06-2010, 11:48 PM
i think it has a safety clip that allow reattachment? he/she should return the gun to the gas station

adrians_s13
05-06-2010, 11:51 PM
LOL... I did that before by accident. I don't know what the fuck i was thinking... I just left the nozzle in, went inside the convenience store to grab a drink, came back out of the store and sat in my car, turned it on and drove a couple feet, then "clunk".... i basically yanked the whole hose off of the pump.

I got out, and was like OOPS. I went inside to tell the clerk and apologize, he just told me to leave the hose next to the pump. So i did and went on with life

mau5trap
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
this happened at an arco. the clerk told him that it's gonna cost him $150 for the damage. is he required to pay? he told me no serious damage happened, just the nozzle/nozzle line came off the pump.

ILoveMyRHS13
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I've never heard of anyone having to pay. I'm pretty sure they have clips because this happens A LOT.

airsoft
05-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Yah, I did this in a rush once @ a 76... the clerk came out of his booth and I just handed it to him and said sorry...

miravete
05-07-2010, 12:16 AM
hahaha, thats funny

hmmm...maybe the clerk wants to get some extra cash for the incident lol

mau5trap
05-07-2010, 12:24 AM
well the clerk made a copy of my friends insurance and got his drivers license info.

any way around this?

ESmorz
05-07-2010, 01:24 AM
well the clerk made a copy of my friends insurance and got his drivers license info.

any way around this?

Why the fuck did your friend give a gas station clerk that shit?

Should have just returned to the pump and left it there.

moocowmoo
05-07-2010, 01:24 AM
ive heard of some people having to pay for the damages if more than the safety release is broken, such as gun, or lines things like that, where our company has an account, (a shell station) they told me that it happens about once every two weeks, and depending on how bad it is they may charge. It may be different at the station where your incident happened, but thats just what ive heard.

WangonwWarrior
05-07-2010, 01:42 AM
hell i could fix it for like, nothing lol

dpak
05-07-2010, 02:01 AM
my sister did that like eight years ago and she had to pay $300!
and she didn't break anything either!

i think it's better that "your friend" ;) left his info rather than fleeing X)
i mean it is a gas station, i'm sure they have cameras all over the place
it just sounds really sketchy to bail..

Matej
05-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Saw a lady do this once.
Gasoline started leaking everywhere.
Then I did a burnout in it waving a sparkler out the window.

HyperTek
05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
friend did that, i was laughing my ass off lol

Dignity
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah... About that...
http://i39.tinypic.com/9gvo68.jpg

BoostSlideWayz
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM
i remember along time ago in my moms landcruiser she forgot to take it out and she started to drive off and some guy tried to help us and grab it before it broke off but the handle was still pulled in so when he pulled it out it shot gas all over the side of the truck and alittle bit on him and then he looked kinda pissed

Gizmo_S13
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
HAHAHAHA I know a lady that this happened to she had to pay around $1000 but she said the ripped the whole thing out so. I don't know as stated above Cameras=A no no for bailing.

oscarmagana
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
i paid 225.00 when this happened to me ha ha ha ha

BustedS13
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
long story short, someone I know accidentally drove away with the gas pump still in the car.......... has this ever happen to anyone? how much will he have to pay for the damage?

you should just take the pump back to the station. they already have your plate number, so don't worry about driving your own car. i'd just leave it by the pump, if i were you. they probably won't track you down, as people like you do this all the time, and they have quick releases specifically for when you do this. did it do any damage to your car?

theicecreamdan
05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Man I drove off once with the thing in my car, it just popped out and fell on the ground.

mau5trap
05-07-2010, 02:40 PM
so me and my friend went back to the gas station, the clerk that worked there acted kinda shady. we asked him if we could write the owner of the gas station a check and he said he can't accept checks. He told us some lame excuse how someone wrote them a check once and they canceled it. My friend is afraid this guy is gonna just pocket the money. We've been looking everywhere on the internet about this. Is he really required to pay? I mean the nozzle line pretty much just detached from the pump. nothing crazy.

Bryants95240sx
05-07-2010, 02:44 PM
If your that worried about it,Why not just find out who the owner is and call them directly?

Tom25666
05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
tell him you want to talk to the store manager or owner directly. tell him to show you some receipts for the repairs and you can pay that.

ronmcdon
05-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I 'think' I might have done that once.
Didn't even know it happened until I arrived at some autoX event 10 mins later.

soreballz
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I did it once. The [ex]gf and I were arguing while I was pumping gas, and I just got distracted and forgot... Drove about three feet, heard it pop, got out, clipped it back together, and drove away.

wh0aitznic0
05-08-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't pump my own gas in Jersey. If the pump happens to still be on the car, it's not my fault.

handinpants
05-08-2010, 02:09 AM
was this at the arco on heathercliff in malibu? and at the one on motor and palms, i saw a sign on the pump that said that they charge $150 for anyone who does that.

me personally, if they billed someting like that to my credit card, i would dispute it immediately. regardless of them having a sign that says such thing, there is no contractual agreement between you and the gas station.

besides they have insurance for that kind of thing.
i would tell them to piss off. they can't do anything about it...

kingkilburn
05-08-2010, 03:02 AM
How do you guys do that?

I guess I'm just really into paying attention. lol

ronmcdon
05-08-2010, 10:55 AM
How do you guys do that?

usually it's the distractions that get you in situations like this.

an important/argumentive phone call might make you forget.
playing loud music might not make you hear when you pull that gas thingie off.
having to rush off somewhere, takes your focus off your present situation.

I'm not denying personal responsibility.
I'm guessing distractions increase the chance you do something silly as this.

I did it once. The [ex]gf and I were arguing while I was pumping gas, and I just got distracted and forgot... Drove about three feet, heard it pop, got out, clipped it back together, and drove away.

Another distraction.
I'm betting this is the main thing that makes ppl forget.

FaLKoN240
05-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I was leaving SD HELLA tired one time and I did it.

I was too tired to talk so I just took it out of my car, placed it next to the pump and was on my way.

I didn't think anything of it.

Flicktitty
05-08-2010, 11:08 AM
i seriously can't believe this many people do this. wow.

vegasS12
05-08-2010, 11:23 AM
my friend has done it before he just left it there never heard anything of it again sounds like the clerk is trying to pocket some money i would just leave it alone and if they call you then just do what you have to do...

ILLES13
05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Saw a lady do this once.
Gasoline started leaking everywhere.
Then I did a burnout in it waving a sparkler out the window.

LOL'd so hard in computer class right now ahhhah:p

shiftdrift
05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
almost did this last night, got to talking to a friend and forgot i didn't put the pump up yet. went to leave looked behind me and noticed the pump. then, i thought to myself, better not do that because then i'd have to post up on zilvia...

JBao
05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
How do you guys do that?

seriously. noobs. :hide:

shinobis13hb
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I did it once. Was with my girl friend. Little pacific islanders trying to sell me some of those awesome. Chocolate candy bars. So I got some I was excited. Totally forgot about the pump I
the tank. Just drove off..heard pop! I was surprised. Just took it out left it there. I still go there no problems. Don't worry about it really don't.
Ps I am in the jury duty waiting room trying so hard not to lol literally

thestreetzking
05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
LOL man this happened to my friend one time on the thurway, it was a pump where you pay cash on one side and credit on the next, well he went to the credit pump, started pumping, realized and was like wtf, then got in the car to move it, forgot the pump in the car, broke the pump, the guy came running after, we took off. ran outta gas on the thurway about 20 miles down the road.

shinobis13hb
05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I did it once. Was with my girl friend. Little pacific islanders trying to sell me some of those awesome. Chocolate candy bars. So I got some I was excited. Totally forgot about the pump I
the tank. Just drove off..heard pop! I was surprised. Just took it out left it there. I still go there no problems. Don't worry about it really don't.
Ps I am in the jury duty waiting room trying so hard not to lol literally

sirfallsalot243
05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I thought this only happened to females?

driftsilvias13
05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
My boss owns multiple car washes with gas stations and when people do this, usually it is an easy fix of replacing the attachment and doing a fuel test to make sure everything is in order. As long as the customer is still there with the line and handle.

I think if the customer tries to run with the line and fuel handle, they have security videos so they can identify the plate # and get the customer to pay to replace those items.

As long as you leave the handle and line there everything should be fine, at least that I know of.