PDA

View Full Version : Need help clutch install obstacles

D. Joy
05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
1. Whats the best way to remove an auto trans bushing? haven't tried the grease method, but did try a pilot bearing remover w/ slide hammer to no avail.

2. I'm missing this spacer or whatever it might be. It is stuck in my old throw out bearing release sleeve and all chewed up from the splines (see second pic below). Shaft itself looks fine, just missing that spacer. Is this fixable or should I just find another tranny?

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/drifteverything/trannynogo.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/drifteverything/IMG_1788.jpg

GSXRJJordan
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Most likely the trans input shaft is fine, and you might need a new throw out bearing carrier (the piece that slides on that area you highlighted).

Auto trans bushing is always a bitch to get out, I've had to cut every one I've done out (they're fairly soft, I get in there with a hacksaw and cut a slice into it, then bang it with a hammer until it deforms enough to be pulled out). PB Blaster is your friend.

r20crazy
05-06-2010, 10:30 PM
do the grease method. pack the cavity full of white lithium grease. then either use the clutch alignment tool or similar and a hammer a few swift taps and the bushing will pop right out, and it looks like you need a new carrier bushing. let me find a link for you....

ok on this http://www.courtesyparts.com/240sx-parts-s13-1989-1994/genuine-nissan-parts/power-train/321-transmission-case-clutch-release/-c-1418_1419_1487_1501.html page you want part #30501 the throwout bearing press fits onto part #30501, which is whats broken off inside the bearing and why it got eaten. and make sure you have clip #30514 otherwise it will happen again

D. Joy
05-07-2010, 06:07 AM
okay thanks for the input. I have a clutch release sleeve coming, part #30501, and I have a new throw out bearing with my clutch kit, so that stuff should be good.

The reason I posted was I knew my original release sleeve was shot as I took it out. So, I got another from a friend and the diameter of his is much wider and has A LOT of play on the shaft. My damaged one also has a little play, but not nearly as much as his because mine has that damaged spacer thing inside. His seems to be missing that spacer entirely which results in the extra play.

Will my new release sleeve have this spacer? Would a DOHC release sleeve differ in size compared to an SOHC sleeve? And finally, is there supposed to be any play within the sleeve and the shaft?

D. Joy
05-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I checked out the courtesy parts diagram again and I'm looking at the front transmission cover part number 32110 and I'm wondering if that shaft sticking out from it wraps around the input shaft and the release sleeve sits on that. If so, that part of the cover is gone on mine...and that might be what's all chewed up in my sleeve, kinda looks like aluminum...?

Any ideas?

D. Joy
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
That's it. front cover needs to be replaced.

thanks