PDA

View Full Version : Help! Planning a trip from San Jose, Ca to Kansas City, Mo.

ayuaddict
05-04-2010, 04:32 AM
So say, hypothetically, what would be the best route for a very much lowered car to travel from San Jose, Ca to Kansas City Mo in June? I figure Matej would at least want to meet up, perhaps even join us to Chicago so i made Kansas City our first stop. Scenic routes are awesome, as are Asian friendly areas (I lived in Montana for a bit and everybody looked at me weird haha). Also, i realize that i am going out on a limb here but would anybody be down to let two dudes crash on their couch on any of these routes?

Main points:

I don't want to drive through a flat, straight boring desert for 3 days.

I would like to see what kind of beauty America has to offer the road trip-per.

I would not like to go off roading as my car has less than an inch of clearance.

I would like to see some cool larger cities as well.

Nightlife and such are not a factor because getting to Kansas City as quickly as possible is the main point here, while passing through cool areas.

The 3 main routes seen to be Via I-80, I-70, and I-40. they are all within 10 miles of each other as far as distance is concerned.

I-70 seems pretty appealing, going through colorado which i hear is beautiful.
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/ayuaddict2/i-70.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/ayuaddict2/?action=view&current=i-70.jpg)

I-80 seems equally appealing, going through reno and salt lake city, but missing out on colorado entirely.
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/ayuaddict2/1-80.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/ayuaddict2/?action=view&current=1-80.jpg)

I-40 appears the least appealing, everything just looks boring - but i have no idea what im talking about so perhaps somebody can let me know that i am wrong.
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/ayuaddict2/i-40.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/ayuaddict2/?action=view&current=i-40.jpg)

please give me your insight on what would be the best idea and why.

Thanks!

HyperTek
05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
man i been thinking about driving to wichita myself to visit my pops and bring my 7, but i probably wouldnt want my first cross country drive in a lowered car, back would hurt like a mother etc.

you probably dont wanna hear it but perhaps raise your car half an inch at least?

Touge Noob S13
05-04-2010, 09:03 AM
You are going to go in your Z?

jspaeth
05-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Damnit, I am so jealous, this looks awesome!

Some girl I sat next to on an airplane was telling me about these "canyon roads" she drove through in Arizona/New Mexico....you should try to find those hahah.

I would think as long as you stick to interstates or MAIN highways, you should be okay as far as road quality.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would expect most of those west/south/midwest highways to be pristene, with the dry air, NO SALT on the roads, and less usage).

I am from jersey, and our highways suck balls. I would be afraid to go over 100 for fear that I would hit a pothole or bump and get airborne and flip over.

D.Adams
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I use to travel for work all the time and have drove across the country more than a couple of times.

I-70
from San Jose to through Nevada isn’t going to be that great of a drive. Kind of Flat and nothing really to look at. But once you get to Utah you will love that drive from Utah to 1/2 way into Kansas is an awesome drive. Colorado and Utah are beautiful.

I-80
is a nice drive. The mountains to Reno are nice but once you get past that nothing really stands out till you get to Salt Lake. Salt Lake is a wonderful place to see and a must if you have the chance to go through it. But again once you’re past that nothing really stands out.

I-40
I would not go this way. 1-40 sucks nothing on it till you get to Williams and Flagstaff and after that nothing special about the drive. Plus I-40 isn’t taken care of after Needles Ca the road is shit from there to Kingman after that its not bad but Arizona DPS have a major hard on out here for out of towners.

This is the way I would go.

Every road trip has to have a Vegas stop if you have the chance. After that you get nice windy roads Beautiful cities and some really nice scenery.

San Jose, CA - Las Vegas, NV - St. George, UT - Grand Junction, CO - Denver, CO - Topeka, KS - Kansas City, KS

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4578157253_6afc688bab_o.jpg

ronmcdon
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Thats a great route!

Probably not the fastest with the detour from norcal to socal,
but thats almost inevitable if you must visit Vegas.

Great thread.
Its a shame the OP doesnt want to go further than Kansas though
(might as well go all the way imo)

Enna
05-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Its been 10 years since I drove on the 80 but last I remembered the roads sucked once you got near Truckee. I would go the 70 route, but the stop in vegas isn't bad. LMK if you do this, be nice to have a couple of drinks with some bay area guys again. I miss living there.

lflkajfj12123
05-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Can I meet up in Kansas City with you doods? I want to meet the Internet sensation Matej Blahut.

chitownguy
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Well damn, if s0ap is going to KC then I might have to as well.

Matej
05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Great thread.
The trip will continue on to Chicago and Wisconsin. :)

Can I meet up in Kansas City with you doods? I want to meet the Internet sensation Matej Blahut.
Will you not be in Chicago at the time of this excursion?

Yes.

P.S.
Yuta, you should meet up with BustedS13 in St. Louis, and talk pioneer wagons and suspension geometry.
At the top of the arch.

Aki180sx
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM

From E to G is completely flat in case you didn't know LOL I just recently had to drive it coming back from Washington to my home it sucks.

You should do a car meet in kansas somewhere I would drive up for that.

wh0aitznic0
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
UGH.

Sucks that I'm on the other side of the country. I would love to meet up with you e-sensations, though.

e-harmony

lflkajfj12123
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Yesss I will be in Chicago. YOU GUYS WANT A PLACE TO CRASH?

Flicktitty
05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
coming up this way for the ASB at USAir?

ESmorz
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Likes the Yutas wants to take me with?

worangejuice
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, the route through Vegas sounds fun if you can stretch it out, although the 5 is dull as crap after Gilroy, valley pass out of San Jose. I40 is super dull. I took that drive from L.A. to Albuquerque. Arizona is a speed trap also, got 2 bs tix in 20 min!
Whether you go through Denver or Ft. Collins, you have to stop at Beaujo's Pizza. It is the best pizza I have EVER had! Might as well before you hit up Chicago and all its pizza.
I suggest photo shoot or drifting stuff with RiskyDevil guys. Have a great trip, looking forward to pics :)

lflkajfj12123
05-05-2010, 11:39 PM
There will be Chicago gatherings with those devil a-holes. Not to worry.

BustedS13
05-06-2010, 02:40 AM
when I drove out to SF a couple years ago, we took I-80 most of the way. it was a beautiful drive, all kinds of scenic overlooks. only problem was we almost ran out of gas in a blizzard in Utah. no, seriously. right around this time, actually. I think we left April 17.
and driving through the rockies was just awesome.

additionally, i just realized whose thread this is, and that you'll be coming straight through my fucking city after KC, apparently. i'm driving that bitch.

ayuaddict
05-06-2010, 04:23 AM
man i been thinking about driving to wichita myself to visit my pops and bring my 7, but i probably wouldnt want my first cross country drive in a lowered car, back would hurt like a mother etc.

you probably dont wanna hear it but perhaps raise your car half an inch at least?

i might raise it a bit.

You are going to go in your Z?

haha no, the SC300.

Damnit, I am so jealous, this looks awesome!

Some girl I sat next to on an airplane was telling me about these "canyon roads" she drove through in Arizona/New Mexico....you should try to find those hahah.

I would think as long as you stick to interstates or MAIN highways, you should be okay as far as road quality.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would expect most of those west/south/midwest highways to be pristene, with the dry air, NO SALT on the roads, and less usage).

I am from jersey, and our highways suck balls. I would be afraid to go over 100 for fear that I would hit a pothole or bump and get airborne and flip over.

i hope they are as nice as they should be.

I use to travel for work all the time and have drove across the country more than a couple of times.

I-70
from San Jose to through Nevada isn’t going to be that great of a drive. Kind of Flat and nothing really to look at. But once you get to Utah you will love that drive from Utah to 1/2 way into Kansas is an awesome drive. Colorado and Utah are beautiful.

I-80
is a nice drive. The mountains to Reno are nice but once you get past that nothing really stands out till you get to Salt Lake. Salt Lake is a wonderful place to see and a must if you have the chance to go through it. But again once you’re past that nothing really stands out.

I-40
I would not go this way. 1-40 sucks nothing on it till you get to Williams and Flagstaff and after that nothing special about the drive. Plus I-40 isn’t taken care of after Needles Ca the road is shit from there to Kingman after that its not bad but Arizona DPS have a major hard on out here for out of towners.

This is the way I would go.

Every road trip has to have a Vegas stop if you have the chance. After that you get nice windy roads Beautiful cities and some really nice scenery.

San Jose, CA - Las Vegas, NV - St. George, UT - Grand Junction, CO - Denver, CO - Topeka, KS - Kansas City, KS

that looks quite a bit longer, maybe we will take one route, and another on the way back.

Thats a great route!

Probably not the fastest with the detour from norcal to socal,
but thats almost inevitable if you must visit Vegas.

Great thread.

oh we will be going to chicago to meet up with other friends, then to wisconsin for MWASB.

Its been 10 years since I drove on the 80 but last I remembered the roads sucked once you got near Truckee. I would go the 70 route, but the stop in vegas isn't bad. LMK if you do this, be nice to have a couple of drinks with some bay area guys again. I miss living there.

yea for sure, when we decide the route i will post it up so maybe we can find places to crash or people to hang out with.

lol we are going to be in chicago for like a week.

meet up with us on the way.

The trip will continue on to Chicago and Wisconsin. :)

Will you not be in Chicago at the time of this excursion?

Yes.

P.S.
Yuta, you should meet up with BustedS13 in St. Louis, and talk pioneer wagons and suspension geometry.
At the top of the arch.

haha yes.

From E to G is completely flat in case you didn't know LOL I just recently had to drive it coming back from Washington to my home it sucks.

You should do a car meet in kansas somewhere I would drive up for that.
maybe by where matej is? but we will be in chicago for the majority of the trip.

UGH.

Sucks that I'm on the other side of the country. I would love to meet up with you e-sensations, though.

e-harmony

haha

Yesss I will be in Chicago. YOU GUYS WANT A PLACE TO CRASH?

i will crash a few time im chicago, please have extra SC300 suspension parts at the ready!

coming up this way for the ASB at USAir?

yeaaaa i wont be driving the sc but we will be there.

Likes the Yutas wants to take me with?

haha we dont have room in the car unfortunately, but you should drive out with us.

Yeah, the route through Vegas sounds fun if you can stretch it out, although the 5 is dull as crap after Gilroy, valley pass out of San Jose. I40 is super dull. I took that drive from L.A. to Albuquerque. Arizona is a speed trap also, got 2 bs tix in 20 min!
Whether you go through Denver or Ft. Collins, you have to stop at Beaujo's Pizza. It is the best pizza I have EVER had! Might as well before you hit up Chicago and all its pizza.
I suggest photo shoot or drifting stuff with RiskyDevil guys. Have a great trip, looking forward to pics :)

i will keep that in mind, and for sure we will be doing a bit of driving with the people.

There will be Chicago gatherings with those devil a-holes. Not to worry.

yes.

when I drove out to SF a couple years ago, we took I-80 most of the way. it was a beautiful drive, all kinds of scenic overlooks. only problem was we almost ran out of gas in a blizzard in Utah. no, seriously. right around this time, actually. I think we left April 17.
and driving through the rockies was just awesome.

additionally, i just realized whose thread this is, and that you'll be coming straight through my fucking city after KC, apparently. i'm driving that bitch.

sorry dude, im driving the lexus out there, this car is just as bad as it sounds, suspension geometry at its absolute worst.

BustedS13
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
sorry dude, im driving the lexus out there, this car is just as bad as it sounds, suspension geometry at its absolute worst.

you're absolutely killing me here

HalveBlue
05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Go with the route s13bdafocker posted. That's the one I would take. It may not be the quickest route but the trade off for scenery is worth it.

I-80 through Wyoming sucks.

Anything east of Denver is going to be flat.

The stretch of I-70 starting from I-15 in Utah to about Grand Junction in Colorado is very sparsely populated. And it gets hot as fuck in the summer. Be sure to bring lots of water, and all the emergency roadside repair stuff you can stuff in your car.

That stretch of road is easily one of the most beautiful routes I've ever driven. Easily rivals driving down Highway 1, or through Italy and Switzerland.

Enjoy it!

EDIT: The little canyon stretch in Arizona between NV and UT is a cash cow for the Arizona Highway Patrol. It's fun to drive but they usually set up speed traps all along the route. Watch out.

Also, the stretch of I-70 up until Denver is best enjoyed during daylight.