PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Exec Attacks "Jackass" GT-R Owners In Online Forum

S14DB
04-30-2010, 10:28 PM
A senior Nissan Executive railed against buyers of the GT-R, a performance vehicle built by his own company, in the online forum Corner-Carvers. The executive referred to owners as "Jackasses" and "Parkinsons-ridden testicles with arms." UPDATE!

Nissan's Chip Goetzinger, the Assistant To the Chairman of North America, was attempting to defend the Nissan GT-R and the company yesterday in the Corner-Carvers forum against complaints over the GT-R's widely-known warranty-voiding transmission issues and the car's overall performance. A call to Nissan by Jalopnik confirmed a Chip Goetzinger works as Assistant to the Nissan North American Chairman."

While he starts off with a defense of the company on the warranty issue, Goetzinger then takes a turn in a direction no executive should really go — claiming the owners were mostly at fault:

The whole warranty-voiding fiasco is vastly inflated as well — don't buy the internet hype. It certainly wasn't handled as well as it could have been on this end, but the warranties that were voided were egregious abuse. I worked in Parts & Service here at the time, and the driving behaviors of the primary complainer/internet hyper were appalling at best - such as averaging one full-bore race launch (on a cold engine) every 100 miles for the first 4,000 miles.

Other forum members question why they should believe the poster, who uses the name "Topless Vobra" in reference to his convertible Mustang Cobra project. He outs himself saying:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/04/500x_chip_goetz_warranty.jpg

His profile (below) seems to confirm he's who he claims to be. Here's a screen cap of the profile page: On the statistics page (further below) and his Forum ID tag (shown above) it says he's been a member of the forum since 2000. One would assume this is who he says he is but we've placed a call in to Nissan PR. They're efforting to determine themselves if this is the same Chip who works at Nissan. (UPDATE Nissan confirmed it's him, see the update below for a statement)

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/04/500x_forum_id_corner.jpg
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/04/500x_vobra_stat_page.jpg

But it's when he says his name that the forum thread degenerates. Once again defending the company's warranty situation he insults those who own the cars and those that complain about the warranty with the following NSFW screed:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/04/500x_chip_goetz_fullscreed.jpg

Though he heaps accolades on the car throughout the posting he also admits at one point his own problems with the vehicle: "Frankly, it really isn't overall my ideal in a sports car either (too heavy & complex) but it's impressive nonetheless." Never a good thing for an auto exec to admit in an online public forum.

Heaping further evidence on this being Chip, he also appears on the Corral.net forum with the same car and name as used on Corner-Carvers and identifies himself as "Chip" in his signature.

UPDATE: A Nissan spokesperson confirmed the identity of the poster and released this statement:

Nissan does not condone the comments made by this particular employee. While seemingly well-intentioned, many of the remarks are regrettable and do not represent the company's views. Nissan's policy regarding internet commentary is that an employee's personal opinion must be preceded by a disclaimer that identifies their remarks as such and not necessarily the views of the company.

All the posts from Chip in that thread have been edited and all the comments he made removed, but you can still see them above.

Send an email to Matt Hardigree, the author of this post, at [email protected]

Nissan Exec Attacks "Jackass" GT-R Owners In Online Forum - Nissan GT-R - Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/5528232/nissan-exec-attacks-jackass-gt+r-owners-in-online-forum)

simmode1
04-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Wowzers... I bet he'll be drawing unemployment by next week and trying to get an interview with Hyundai the week after that.

R_G
05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
" Chip dont pull a powell "

ronmcdon
05-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't see why there should be a problem with Chip the Nissan employee.
The employee did not disclose himself as representing Nissan to begin with.
He says he works for Nissan, but isn't some official Nissan laison with the site.
It doesn't mean anything.

IMO he's entitled to his privacy & personal opinion.
The fact that he supports the GTR in some respects but not others, gives his opinion credibility.
Of course it isn't going to be everyone's first choice, especially if you want a traditional sports car.
(one can debate it's not a sports car at all).

so the gtr owner did 40 hard launches during the first 4,000 miles.
Is that unheard of?

The R35 GTR is a great car overall,
however I'm none too impressed with the transmission chioce, durability, and Nissan's warrantee on it.
Don't sell a car you can't back up.
OR, just give a beefy no nonsense manual transmission & call it a day.

NoPistons!
05-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Nissan sure has a chip on their shoulder......

!Zar!
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't see the big deal.

theronin
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't see the big deal.

me either.

I LUV MY S13
05-03-2010, 04:15 PM
hes bashing on customers

!Zar!
05-03-2010, 04:48 PM
hes bashing on customers

And?

He doesn't own Nissan. Nor is he unable to state his own opinion. He is talking about people who in his mind are abusing the car and thus resulting in damage.

All companies will at one point talk shit on their market base. He was just called out on it.

I don't see how this is any different.

Otto347
05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Chips cool wit me..........

ZilviaKid
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
And?

He doesn't own Nissan. Nor is he unable to state his own opinion. He is talking about people who in his mind are abusing the car and thus resulting in damage.

All companies will at one point talk shit on their market base. He was just called out on it.

+1

hes entitled to shit talking someone who spews bullshit.

I LUV MY S13
05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
And?

he doesnt have to be an owner, if a salesman or parts associate starts talking shit to customers dont you think they'd be put in check or let go?

sure he wasnt on the job but he is of higher rank and represents that company...sure hes entitled to his own opinion, but he did more than that, he can't even be sure that they abused the car so his claims can be totally false..

and this isnt in an office or face-to-face, its on the internet where many can and do read it

aznpoopy
05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
i like his posting style. it's not everyday someone uses 'a priori' on a forum.

if he has a failing, it's his inability to keep himself anonymous. why would he out his job title? maybe a bit of hubris at work? if so, losing his job would be justly appropriate. pride goes before the fall and all that.