PDA

View Full Version : Rap star Guru from Gangstarr fame dies =(

HyperTek
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Gang Starr's Guru Dead At 43 - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637388/20100420/gang_starr.jhtml)

Sources say battle with cancer.

For the last 3 months, his producer Solar had been in control and blocking his family from seeing him in the hospital.... this is strang for some one to have this kind of authority over another man.. some people are thinking that they might have been lovers or some shit and this dude was using that time to get into Guru's estate/will. For the last few years, he broke contact with DJ Premier and ran with Solar, so who knows why...

FnOw4J1pFN8

exitspeed
04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Damn.

RIP.

simmode1
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Awww man... I heard he was in the hospital in serious condition... Damn this sucks. RIP Guru...

0EWJ9JrxU0g

s13poop
04-20-2010, 10:15 AM
R.i.p Guru an MC that just complimented premier's illest beats to the fullest

OBEEWON
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
What, I didn't know he was blocking the family from visits. That wierd. I love Guru but I think they were on the DL. Still sad.

tricky_ab
04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Horrible news. First Nujabes and now Guru. And it´s a shame how this Solar guy has influenced Guru in his last days. R.I.P. Guru.

allntrlundrgrnd
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
So sad.

why can't no talent ass clowns like soulja boy die instead?

Bubbles
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I used to listen to that song all the time on Dave Mirra 2.

RIP.

ericcastro
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
R.i.p Guru an MC that just complimented premier's illest beats to the fullest

your nuts, he had an amazing voice, thats why i listened to em.

RIP.

allntrlundrgrnd
04-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I used to listen to that song all the time on Dave Mirra 2.

RIP.

moment of truth, thats a great track.

love the tribe song in that game too

DataXUnknown
04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
RIP Guru

Gangstarr is one of my fav's

blitzkrgCT9A
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
This is truely a sad day. He was one of my favorite MCs... Hip hop community lost another icon, legend and pioneer today.. R.I.P

brndck
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
the world sucks today because of this.
one of the few rappers who truly made a positive impact on the "rap" community,
his brilliant lines, with premier's incredible beats combined to make music that is levels ahead of anyone else in the game.

rip keithy E.

do what you can kid (dwyck)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRNT_t0-miQ

adrians_s13
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I heard about this this morning..

damn..

RIP Guru

simmode1
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I love Guru but I think they were on the DL. Still sad.

I really hate to say it, but thats the first thing that came to my mind as well. Kinda puts this song in a little different light...
AxCitP2smMA

Doesn't change anything though. DL or not, him and Premo still made great music.

Paul2x
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Damm, that sucks

One of my all time fav's from back in the day.

RIP,

Gangstarr all day today =)

simmode1
04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Guru and Solar interview from 2007... Hmmm. At 4:32, I swear to god, I thought she was gonna ask them was they gay...
GQcckjXHlf4

!Zar!
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
AllHipHop.com Daily News - : Guru of Gangstarr Dies, Writes Letter To Supporters (http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2010/04/20/22177912.aspx)
"For the fans that reached out with love and support, I can't tell you how much that meant to Guru and myself. Guru prepared this letter (read below) while he was in the hospital for the fans," the producer continued. "I hope now that Guru has moved on to a better place."

In the letter, seen below, the rapper explains his illness, expresses gratitude to supporters and offers some parting words for DJ Premiere.

I, Guru, am writing this letter to my fans, friends and loved ones around the world. I have had a long battle with cancer and have succumbed to the disease. I have suffered with this illness for over a year. I have exhausted all medical options.

I have a non-profit organization called Each One Counts dedicated to carrying on my charitable work on behalf of abused and disadvantaged children from around the world and also to educate and research a cure for this terrible disease that took my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy for what a wonderful life I have enjoyed and how many great people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

My loyal best friend, partner and brother, Solar, has been at my side through it all and has been made my health proxy by myself on all matters relating to myself. He has been with me by my side on my many hospital stays, operations, doctors visits and stayed with me at my home and cared for me when I could not care for myself. Solar and his family is my family and I love them dearly and I expect my family, friends, and fans to respect that, regardless to anybody's feelings on the matter. It is my wish that counts. This being said I am survived by the love of my life, my sun KC, who I trust will be looked after by Solar and his family as their own. Any awards or tributes should be accepted, organized approved by Solar on behalf myself and my son until he is of age to except on his own.

I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name likeness, events tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this. I had nothing to do with him in life for over 7 years and want nothing to do with him in death. Solar has my life story and is well informed on my family situation, as well as the real reason for separating from my ex-DJ. As the sole founder of GangStarr, I am very proud of what GangStarr has meant to the music world and fans. I equally am proud of my Jazzmatazz series and as the father of Hip-Hop/Jazz. I am most proud of my leadership and pioneering efforts on Jazzmatazz 4 for reinvigorating the Hip-Hop/Jazz genre in a time when music quality has reached an all time low. Solar and I have toured in places that I have never been before with GangStarr or Jazzmatatazz and we gained a reputation for being the best on the planet at Hip-Hop/Jazz, as well as the biggest and most influential Hip-Hop/Jazz record with Jazzmatazz 4 of the decade to now. The work I have done with Solar represents a legacy far beyond its time. And we as a team were not afraid to push the envelope. To me this is what true artists do! As men of honor we stood tall in the face of small mindedness, greed, and ignorance. As we fought for music and integrity at the cost of not earning millions and for this I will always be happy and proud, and would like to thank the million fans who have seen us perform over the years from all over the world. The work I have done with Solar represents a legacy far beyond its time and is my most creative and experimental to date. I hope that our music will receive the attention it deserves as it is some of the best work I have done and represents some of the best years of my life.
REAL

simmode1
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
It made Yahoo news. That's good.:hs:
Hip-Hop Luminary Guru Succumbs To Cancer - Hip-Hop Media Training (http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/265701/hip-hop-luminary-guru-succumbs-to-cancer/)

HyperTek
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
thats gotta be hard on DJ Premiere, who still to this day always gave shout outs to Guru when he was on air etc.. Playing GTA IV that came out in 08, Premiere is a radio dj in the game he gives Guru a shout out etc.

And for Guru to "write" this and take it to his grave, thats just fowl, and from his lyrics, he would seem to be the peaceful type of guy that would let differences aside and forget them.

He was always a positive hip hop artist that I looked up to.
us9P_IklRto
Nice Girl Wrong Place, great song.

AAR5Zj8YCuE
Another great.

Jazzmattaz had some good tracks
Guru and Common!
BrXZpSVUY3k

So sad.

why can't no talent ass clowns like soulja boy die instead?

he got a song for him and all those wackass kids today
rXGcXArWMVA

DALAZ_68
04-20-2010, 05:27 PM
thats gotta be hard on DJ Premiere, who still to this day always gave shout outs to Guru when he was on air etc.. Playing GTA IV that came out in 08, Premiere is a radio dj in the game he gives Guru a shout out etc.

And for Guru to "write" this and take it to his grave, thats just fowl, and from his lyrics, he would seem to be the peaceful type of guy that would let differences aside and forget them.

there are some things...that even the most peaceful and clear mind can neither forgive nor forget... he ahs his reasons...so be it...

RIP

ALTRNTV
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Why couldn't Lil' Wayne die instead...

HyperTek
04-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Why couldn't Lil' Wayne die instead...

i couldnt wish death on anyone , i just think the mass majority of lil wayne fans are robots, if lil wayne farts they would be all over it..

Dirty Habit
04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
"It has come to our attention that a mysterious force is LOOSE..
somewhere in outer space."

"The mysteries of creation are there."

"Up in the sky?"

"Up in the sky."

RIP.

Zachsta
04-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Wow. This is terrible, RIP to one of the most positive hip hop artists alive.

Murphy_Skate
04-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Good songs HyperTek.

Gang Starr was one of my favs growing up.

RIP Guru

WERDdabuilder
04-21-2010, 02:59 AM
glad i got to see gangstarr perform live before he passed.

top best. dead or alive. rip.

allntrlundrgrnd
04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
love these jams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6_tHXqnhYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5vuTToYN8M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IoPeNC4k_0

HyperTek
04-21-2010, 03:46 PM
was listening to the moment of truth album in the car,
xK1Eh7g11ZU
at the end of this song at 2:57 it rolls into Moment of Truth, where the girls calling in saying "Hey Guru dont worry about it this shit keep your head up" etc.. then rolls into the song, dam it hit me!

bOayz3OyCN0

Sometimes you gotta dig deep, when problems come near
Dont fear things get severe for everybody everywhere
Why do bad things happen, to good people?
Seems that life is just a constant war between good and evil
The situation that Im facin, is mad amazin
To think such problems can arise from minor confrontations
Now Im contemplatin in my bedroom pacin
Dark clouds over my head, my hearts racin
Suicide? nah, Im not a foolish guy
Dont even feel like drinking, or even gettin high
Cause all thats gonna do really, is accelerate
The anxieties that I wish I could alleviate
But wait, Ive been through a whole lot of other shit, before
So I oughta be able, to withstand some more
But Im sweatin though, my eyes are turnin red and yo
Im ready to lose my mind but instead I use my mind
I put down the knife, and take the bullets out my nine
My only crime, was that Im too damn kind
And now some skanless motherfuckers wanna take whats mine
But they cant take the respect, that Ive earned in my lifetime
And you know theyll never stop the furious force of my rhymes
So like they say, every dog has its day
And like they say, God works in a mysterious way
So I pray, remembering the days of my youth
As I prepare to meet my moment of truth

ONYX S-13
04-21-2010, 05:59 PM
My dad and I used to listen to him while playing Madden 95'. Good times.

Cnile1
04-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Sources say battle with cancer.

For the last 3 months, his producer Solar had been in control and blocking his family from seeing him in the hospital.... this is strang for some one to have this kind of authority over another man.. some people are thinking that they might have been lovers or some shit and this dude was using that time to get into Guru's estate/will. For the last few years, he broke contact with DJ Premier and ran with Solar, so who knows why...
[/QUOTE]

What? Thats cold as hell. Another tragedy similar to the death of Jay Dilla.

R.I.P Guru...

Phlip
04-22-2010, 06:17 AM
What? Thats cold as hell. Another tragedy similar to the death of Jay Dilla.

R.I.P Guru...

This is NOTHING like when Dilla died.
When Dilla died, everything was in the hands of his moms as it naturally should have been. The only issue was (and still is) has been the label handing over control of the music to the estate.
On the other side of it, people like Common and Busta Rhymes have been making music at no benefit to themselves and she has been the one making the money off of it, just as she has the past couple dilla posthumous albums.
With Guru, Solar is trying to rewrite history to turn a personal profit out of it, and for that he is a piece of shit snake in the grass...
Fuck Solar.

simmode1
04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
With Guru, Solar is trying to rewrite history to turn a personal profit out of it, and for that he is a piece of shit snake in the grass...
Fuck Solar.

Word. Is it just me or does anyone else doubt the validity of that letter Guru wrote to the public? I mean, did anyone besides Solar witness him writting the shit? I'm thinking forgery.

The hate between him and Premo seems real one-sided. I could have sworn I heard Premo giving shot-outs to Guru recently. This all just seems really weird and has foul written all over it.

Phlip
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Word. Is it just me or does anyone else doubt the validity of that letter Guru wrote to the public? I mean, did anyone besides Solar witness him writting the shit? I'm thinking forgery.
EVERYONE doubts it... I started doubting it when it started with the words "I' Guru..." and spiraled from there. The hate for premier and hyping up Solar, saying shit like "the work with Solar has been the best of my career" were what tipped ME off to it.
I am personally PRAYING that Freddie Foxxx (who is PISSED) sees Solar before anyone else does, or at all, and that someone has a camera present.
The hate between him and Premo seems real one-sided. I could have sworn I heard Premo giving shot-outs to Guru recently. This all just seems really weird and has foul written all over it.
Yes, it is one-sided and that side consists of the fact that Guru and premier ARE something to hip hop, while Solar was nothing before all this shit started and is now less than nothing (and should probably fear for his safety) since it has happened.

simmode1
04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I am personally PRAYING that Freddie Foxxx sees Solar before anyone else does, or at all, and that someone has a camera present.

OMG that would be an epic asswhooping, my friend. Epic. Foxxx is sooo dope and grimy!
-ShzwuvQelE&feature

Cnile1
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
This is NOTHING like when Dilla died.
When Dilla died, everything was in the hands of his moms as it naturally should have been. The only issue was (and still is) has been the label handing over control of the music to the estate.
On the other side of it, people like Common and Busta Rhymes have been making music at no benefit to themselves and she has been the one making the money off of it, just as she has the past couple dilla posthumous albums.
Fuck Solar.

So what exactly is Solar trying to do?
This whole story sounds sketch...

simmode1
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
EVERYONE doubts it... I started doubting it when it started with the words "I' Guru..." and spiraled from there. The hate for premier and hyping up Solar, saying shit like "the work with Solar has been the best of my career" were what tipped ME off to it...

Awww man! hot off the presses! Have you cats seen this?!

http://www.hiphopsite.com/2010/04/22/solar-in-the-hot-seat-with-mtvs-sway-parts-1-4/

Sway interviews Solar about Guru's death and the letter! Soooo.... apparently, the letter is a compilation of notes Solar took from Guru over their time together and his impressions of Guru's intentions, rather than a direct dictation from Guru. Wooow.

I'm gonna choose to believe they weren't gay together, but the rest of this interview is real suspect, IMO. Good job with the direct questions, Sway.

Phlip
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
So what exactly is Solar trying to do?
This whole story sounds sketch...
My theory, as is shared by many others is that Solar is out for money.
When Gang Starr split, Guru was having money trouble and linked with Solar, who admits to never having even been a Gang Starr fan. From then, Guru became more and more loyal to Solar, even shitting on people from his past and his family. It has been viewed that Solar may have had him on the hook for some money owed against the immediate situation and was using that as leverage for the long term.
When Guru fell ill, he ratcheted everything up and froze EVERYBODY out and then these bullshit statements began popping up that ONLY Solar was to give anyone information, and without fail, the statements talked the unknown Solar up. Still no one knows who the fuck he is and he seems to now be after not only the insurance dough, but all the money that he would be able to make on movie and book deals.
He said THAT part himself in a statement to MTV
I’m the repository of Guru’s life story. I recorded his life story for book and for movies.
Odd, when he had known Premier and the whole of NY hip hop for 20 years before even MEETING Solar, no?
Who better to tell the stories than the people who were actually there and cared with a mind on something more than simple monetary gain?
Monetary gain, you ask?
When people die, people buy there music... Thriller would have topped Billboard if it had been a new album for about 2-3 weeks after MiJack died. The albums strategically mentioned in that "letter" were all on the label that Guru and Solar owned, now solely owned by Solar. Get it? All album sales go to whom?

Solar is a piece of shit.
Fuck Solar.

tricky_ab
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I am personally PRAYING that Freddie Foxxx (who is PISSED) sees Solar before anyone else does, or at all, and that someone has a camera present.

THIS!!! I was thinking the same freakin' thing...

simmode1
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Wah?! No comments on the 'Sway interrogates Solar' video?!

C'mon guys! What are your thoughts on it?

brndck
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
solar is to guru what don king was to mike tyson.

fuck solar.

i can't believe that guru held that kind of animosity towards primo.

again, fuck solar.

Phlip
04-22-2010, 06:03 PM

I was at work!

I think Solar is lying, or telling lies of omission, here's why...
He was indoors, and wouldn't take his shades off.
Too many "pretty much" and "about 100% sure" as opposed to a simple yes.
Not going to the funeral? I thought you were like brothers? Or are you afraid that Freddie Foxxx, Big Shug, MOP and Premier will be there?
I could keep going

Gnnr
04-22-2010, 09:19 PM
SKILLS

7ha4ercH4hs

RIP Guru :(

tricky_ab
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM

I haven't had the chance to see it yet (my friend sent me the link). I'll check it out once I'm home...

HyperTek
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
i do not want to remember Guru for his time with Solar, putting this garbage out
yog7cdwwC0w
FYzowGsMZFQ
makes me wanna cry.. solar tried to push guru into a style that didnt fit him =(

simmode1
04-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Gotta be honest... never heard any post-Solar Guru before.

That shits terrible. The first one has Guru sounding like some commercial pop hiphop act while the second one sounds like some bootleg Wu-Tang throwback. There's no continuity between the two sounds. Are they from the same album? Geezuss...

HyperTek
04-24-2010, 02:37 AM
cant forget those electronic songs hes worked on with BT and Ferry Corsten
*dont judge these as rap songs btw, they wherent bad, well to me they where decent but thats because i like BT and Ferry Corsten*
HjR-yJpzQz4
fC2ESLESu0Q

his brother speaks out
My brother, Gang Starr’s Guru - The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2010/04/23/my_brother_gang_starrs_guru/)

turns out he was 48. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/22/AR2010042205726.html

simmode1
04-24-2010, 08:31 AM
his brother speaks out
My brother, Gang Starr’s Guru - The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2010/04/23/my_brother_gang_starrs_guru/)

Man, that made me tear up a little... Makes me think I need to visit my out of state brother and support his music more...

tricky_ab
04-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Some condolences from twitter:

"Guru didn't write that letter. He's been in a coma for over 2 months....word"

- DJ Scratch

"The man has found his peace, far way from the devil. R.I.P. GURU / GANG STARR"

-DJ Premier Blog

Shots fired at Solar?

Oh and this is getting good!

ON THE PHONE WITH PREMO!!! WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Twitter / BumpyKnuckles: ON THE PHONE WITH PREMO!!! ... (http://twitter.com/BumpyKnuckles/status/12576149836)

What I would do to get Solar alone in a room with Freddie Foxxx and Billy Danze.....

I'd buy the PPV at a high price. I can tell you that much.

tricky_ab
04-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Oh shit...Premier puts Solar on blast! Plus talks about how Guru looked terrible in the hospital and how sad he was that he died alone :(

Video: DJ Premiere On Solar Declining Visits & Puts Him On Blast! "If You Loved Him. Why The F*ck Did His Nails Look Longer Than A F*cking Ruler?. He Died Alone" (http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh7CTLvTFd35VWT7o0)

simmode1
04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Man... Solar is sooo fucked in the head if he thinks he is gonna profit or get away with this shit. Dude gon get murked.

HyperTek
04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Solar's baby mama interviewed, saying shes seen solar speak down to him, beat him a few times etc
Tasha Denham: "Just To Get A Rep?" | Rappers Talk Hip Hop Beef & Old School Hip Hop | HipHopDX (http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interviews/id.1535/title.tasha-denham-just-to-get-a-rep)

simmode1
04-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Wow. Ms. Denham was very brave to give that interview incriminating her baby-daddy like that. I hope she already got them child support papers going on Solar's ass and she's probably gonna need a restraining order after this.

Such an insightful and credible view into the situation. I really feel bad for having adding fuel to the gay rumors earlier. At the time, it was the only thing that made sense to me on why one man would give such power to another man over him. But I'd forgotten that there is another reason for such a decision: the use of religion to twist perception and manipulate others.

I've been in that situation myself. That shit is very very real. With both of them being 5% and Solar having a really bad narcissistic streak, it totally makes sense now. Seems like Solar ingratiated himself upon Guru by helping out with some things early on and relied on warped teachings of the 5 Percenters and took advantage of Guru's extreme asthma/inability to effectively fight back to maintain control over him.

Man, this guy Solar is some piece of work.:fawk2:

Jay'Z
04-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Mass appeal was the shit, and even in 2010 sounds sick.

exitspeed
04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
All this is just sad to me. A legend like this having his reputation smeared when he's gone.