PDA

View Full Version : legal engine swap q. . . i know it's probably been dealt with

kenshinS14sks
04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
i called a local so cal shop as i'm doing research on sc's and swaps (i won't mention which out of respect) and the person told me that:
1) as long as the engine is legal
and
2) newer than the model of the car
and
3) as long as it meets the OBD requirement of that specific engine year

THAT

the car would be legal to drive. . .

pho eggzampo

1995 nissan 240sx + ls2 with all obdII required equipment = legal

someone please confirm this for me as from what i remember the engine had to have come in the car for it to be legal = meaning an engine that came in a nissan 240sx 1995 or newer

and please no "i heard this is" or "i think it would be's"

1ZlowZ
04-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I believe it also has to be from the same company, like if you want to swap an engine to an s14, i believe you have to get an engine from another Nissan.

drift freaq
04-19-2010, 01:32 AM
I believe it also has to be from the same company, like if you want to swap an engine to an s14, i believe you have to get an engine from another Nissan.

It does not have to be from the same company. It has to have been sold in the U.S. in the configuration that you are putting it into aka RWD for a RWD car.

Now if the Engine is available in FWD as well then you could swap it into a RWD car as it came in both configurations.

Though if it was sold in FWD only it would not be legal to put in a RWD car.

The only other requirements would be same year or newer than the car its going into.

Om1kron
04-19-2010, 01:46 AM
BensonHsu.com ยป Street legal LS swaps?! (http://blog.bensonhsu.com/2010/03/30/street-legal-ls-swaps/)

kenshinS14sks
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
It does not have to be from the same company. It has to have been sold in the U.S. in the configuration that you are putting it into aka RWD for a RWD car.

Now if the Engine is available in FWD as well then you could swap it into a RWD car as it came in both configurations.

Though if it was sold in FWD only it would not be legal to put in a RWD car.

The only other requirements would be same year or newer than the car its going into.

Thank you for that verification. So if i pop a vq into my s14, it is completely legal? How about updating my OBD1 car to a OBD2, is that required as well?

BensonHsu.com » Street legal LS swaps?! (http://blog.bensonhsu.com/2010/03/30/street-legal-ls-swaps/)

and thanks always for your support om1kron =)

drift freaq
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you for that verification. So if i pop a vq into my s14, it is completely legal? How about updating my OBD1 car to a OBD2, is that required as well

yes you need to use all smog equipment that came with the newer engine.

Drift N Dragg
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Drift Freaq is Correct.

All Smog Eqiupment has to Be used.. ALL of it.. EVAP, CAT's EVAP Sensors.

All Wiring MUST be Swapped over.. ( i.e. engine Harness all the way back to ECU )

If its OBDII then you have to have the Plug under your Driverside Dash, in a Easy to Access Spot. THEY WILL Test Smog your Car.. Be Prepared.

Engine Must be Newer.. No Splicing in the Wires or you will Fail Inspection.

ECU MUST be Mounted, Not Hanging. In your Factory Spot.

DALAZ_68
04-19-2010, 10:44 AM
yes you need to use all smog equipment that came with the newer engine.
thats the part that 98% of what everyone neglects to do...:(

kenshinS14sks
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
so can anyone rec a good so-cal shop that's experienced with vq/ls swaps? driftspeed doesn't do it and i'm waiting on g-dimension to get back at me. . . or would anyone work with me and swap it if i pay you and work from my home? =)

g00se
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
The problem with LS swaps is that the stock drivers side header shoots right on where the steering is. As of yet there are no legal alternatives as hinson or sikky have gotten a carb exempt header and i really dont think they will ever. what you can do is just smash the stock header in more to clear it but GL.

kenshinS14sks
04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
well, there's the vq option then i guess =)

DALAZ_68
04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
last i heard, everyone is still tryin to crack the ecu to do everything legit on VQ...but last time i heard anything was roughly 6 months+ ago...

jzepol1985
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
last i heard, everyone is still tryin to crack the ecu to do everything legit on VQ...but last time i heard anything was roughly 6 months+ ago...

I only know of one company who can re flash ECU's

R.S. Enthalpy: Nissan ROM Tunes, ECU Reflashes and Dyno Tuning. Tampa Bay, Florida. (http://www.rs-enthalpy.com/order.html)