PDA

View Full Version : computer people can you guys help me real quick?

240love
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
I have a wireless router that im using and i want to set a password on it cause im the only one with an open one in the neighborhood and im sure someone is bound to use it if they arent already.

Thing is i dont know how to set a password on it...can someone help me out?

TheWolf
04-11-2010, 09:43 AM
type in 192.168.1.1 into your web browser. user name "admin". Password blank.

That should bring you to your config page.

240love
04-11-2010, 10:01 AM
type in 192.168.1.1 into your web browser. user name "admin". Password blank.

That should bring you to your config page.

gave this a try and got this...

The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

thestreetzking
04-11-2010, 10:33 AM
thats only if its a linksys router. what brand are you using? search google for your routers ip address

also use this link for help:

Linksys Wireless Router Setting (http://www.ezinstructions.com/wrt54gsetup.html)

(yea the link is for linksys but everythings the same after you find the ip/web address)

Future240
04-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Go to your routers website they should have guides in the FAQ section explaining everything you need to do.

240love
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
ok i shall try that... the router brand is belkin

Vision Garage
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
192.168.1.1 is the main server IP. You can change the ones to zeros. since they sometimes can be that. 192.168.0.1 or vice versa. Once inside you can set up your password.

kingkilburn
04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
You could try 192.168.1.254 that is the other common address I have seen.

If it isn't that you'll have to look up your network connection details and see what it is. From there it shouldn't be too hard to set up a password.

kingkilburn
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
It would seem, after doing a Google search, that Belkin uses this as their default ip.

Tantwoforty
04-14-2010, 09:44 PM
ok, here is what to do,
find your windows command prompt, it will be somewhere in your start menu. look under accessory's, it depends on what version of windows you are on.

open your command prompt, you will see a black screen and a c:\****ect
simply type in "ipconfig" and press enter.

a whole bunch of information will pop up about your network connection and your internet connection.

Now, under "Ethernet adapter local area connection" find your "Default Gateway"

That number will be a xxx.xxx.x.x most likely.

for arguments sake lets say the number is 192.168.0.1 witch is what mine is.

open up your internet browser (firefox, IE whatever)

in the address bar type in your default gateway number, i would type 192.168.0.1.

some sort of login prompt should come up, since you seem to have tried the standard numbers for reaching your router i would guess your router has been set up by someone already, you can set the default gateway number to anything you want, it dose not have to be a 192.168.0.1 number at all. try using ADMIN and no password, then try admin and admin.. then try administrator and no password..

if you get in, skip the next step.

if not, there is a little black reset button on your router you can push with a pin, hold that in for at least 5 seconds and try this all again, the password and login will be reset.

when you get in, it should look just like a web page. on the left or top you will see something along the lines of security, if not, look for wireless.

open up that page and look for something like this,
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/sokalskater/Capture.jpg

set your wireless security to WEP or WPA, WPA is ideal.
you should be able to set your password and security type.

as you see in my screen shot im using WPA. simply put in the password you want, click save or apply.

then try to log into it with something wireless and ensure it asks you for a pw, and that your pw works, make sure you right it down somewhere.

if you ever forget it you can always use the reset button and clear it and start over..

that should just about get you going.. if not let me know what happens..

if you have further trouble, reply with your operating system, brand and model number of your router, and i can give you a few more details...

hope that helps :)

Mister.E
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
thats only if its a linksys router

wrong.

my netgear router also uses 192.168.1.1

i know a lot of people that have had serious issues with Belkin routers. i hope everything works out for you.

Tantwoforty
04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
ipconfig.

problem solved.

kyoru
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
^ look for the default gateway for your router ip