PDA

View Full Version : ka-t owners come in !!

ProjectD
06-30-2003, 02:53 AM
After doin a lil research on site ive decided to go with a ka-t. I wanna skip the whole engine swap thing and get right to the important part...the turbo. Now I know both sr and ka can make awsome power respectfuly so dont turn this into a sr vs ka thread. I just made this thread cuz I wanted to get to know some ka-t owners cuz I need some insight on this set up since im new to nissan itself..But of course anyone is welcome to im me ...Jspekb18c5 is screen name..lol dont ask used to own honda :bash: ill change it soon :)

s13silady
06-30-2003, 06:14 AM
hey whats up welcome to zilvia again... i had a KA-t. it was great had a lot of power to it... including all the headaches...but just make sure you do it right the first time.:)
i ended up selling it to my friend that wanted a KA-t and i used the money to help for my SR which should eb ready to drive once i finish it this weekend...:boink: so by this weekend i shouldve tasted both worlds.. and have my opinions about them both...
no comment on the screen name...:hammer: :D

ryan

95Blue240sx
06-30-2003, 11:17 AM
sup man, welcome. there is plenty of information on this message board on how to setup a KA-T. search and you will find plenty of information. i also plan to go with a KA-T. i have figured everything i want right now, but just waiting for the most important part. the MONEY! how fast and reliable you want your engine depends on how much you want to spend. i think the one thing thats most underlooked is fuel management. some use FMU's, personally i dont like and trust. others are using the JWT ecu, which has proven to be great. but there aftermarket standalones out there. personally im going to be trying a Link system (http://www.carmodifications.com/) the site is down right now. one of my friends uses this system on his 2.5rs turbo. he also works at a shop that can tune this system for me for free. so there something i dont have to worry about. but this system can easily run over $1k. so search on what you want and what you dont. there are enough KA-T owners here to help you out. take a day searching and reading, after that you won't have any questions :D

S13Grl
06-30-2003, 11:24 AM
www.240sxturbostyle.com

That's Jeff240SX. Visit his "installs" page. He's got a great write-up there.

Also, you might wanna do just a little bit of searching. I see you haven't bothered to try it out. There's lots of useful information that you can find that's been covered in the past year and even the past few months.

SR240SXT
06-30-2003, 07:40 PM
here this is what you want, great stuff, browse through there you'll find what you need

http://www.nicoclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11

SpEc240
06-30-2003, 08:03 PM
I dont have a KA-T yet, but I am very interested in getting one. NOt really into the big power 400+ hp range, so I was thinking about the XS engineering turbo setup for the KA. Does anyone here know about their product and is it reliable. 228rwhp seems ok for now.:aw:

ProjectD
06-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Also, you might wanna do just a little bit of searching. I see you haven't bothered to try it out. There's lots of useful information that you can find that's been covered in the past year and even the past few months.

lol I did do reserach and i did see jeffs 240sx...(btw nice car jeff)I made this thread so give out my screen name and to ask ka-t owners to im me cuz I wanted to get personal views on the set up. So the sn is JSpekb18c5..im me sometime thx

SpEc240
06-30-2003, 09:25 PM
can someone give me some ideas as to the reliabilty of th XS-engineering turbo kit. I did the search but no one did had any comments on the kit. HELP!!!!!............Im sorry not trying to take over thread:)

s13silady
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
XS engineering ive heard a lot about...if your motor is in very good condition, and all you want is the kit's HP range (saying you dont want the high power and just the e xtra kick)... then thats the one to look into because most kits go by stages and are usually safe and reliable...
ive also heard very good reviews on the F-max kit...
i think XS only makes the kits for the 95 and up.. not sure though...
and yes the nice shiny red button on the top right is your friend.. 90% of your questions will eb answered through the function.. just broaden your search and you will obtain what you seek..:bow:

95Blue240sx
06-30-2003, 11:07 PM
have not heard much about the xs kit, but id rather go with the nsport or the fmax.

SR240SXT
07-01-2003, 02:35 PM
if you read up on NICO you'll probably be convinced the Nsport kit is the best. It uses the R34 skyline's front mount intercooler and some other quality parts, plus makes 240whp, (how appropriate-240). Also I've seen these kits as low as 3200 bucks advertised around the Turbo KA forum at www.nicoclub.com, check it out.

boosteds14
07-01-2003, 02:56 PM
FMax is by for the best in my opinion but it is all up to what the person thinks. The JWT ECU is great and reliable. just plug and play.

The Fmax goes for like $3825

We are also going to start to make our own kits.

Here is what it consist of:
t3/t04e 50 trim .48a/r
24x11x3.5 (2.5 inlet/2.5 outlet)
CP Fabrication Tubular manifold. (not log style and not like Revhard)
TIAL 35MM WASTEGATE
HKS Racing BOV
Down Pipe, IC Piping(option: Chrome or Powdercoated)

This will retail for $2899 but the buyer has to worry about the fuel system!!!!

then we will offer the fuel system:
370c injectors
JWT ECU

this kit w/fuel system will retail for $3799

A buddy of mine is setting this up and going to make his own business out of it called CP Fabrication (Controlled Performance Fabrication)
But this is still in the works and the kits may not be ready for retail until September. We made one prototype and it is awesome. Even looks good!!!
But dont go waiting for this kit to come out because it is still in the works;)
This kit will be available for the s13 DOHC and s14.

I will keep you guys updated down the road when we progress with the project. Right now our focus is on the busy season of Imports:)

95Blue240sx
07-01-2003, 06:48 PM
i agree with boosteds14. the fmax is the best KIT. but the nsport is a good kit if you just want to go forced induction and dont do anything else to the car.

boosteds14 the CP kit sounds pretty cool. it consist of what you really need and the rest(fuel) is up to the person. it is really convienent(sp?) for the buy. hopefuelly you guys get the kit out sooner than you think :D can i be a test subject :D

SR240SXT
07-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Dollar for dollar I think the Nsport is better, at least from what I've researched. The Fmax kit REQUIRES the JWT reprogram, thats at least 2 weeks downtime plus like ~600 bucks on top of your 3825 = 4425. The Nsport ($3200 if you look around) uses a FMU on your stock ecu, as long as you don't run over like 8 psi you're golden. If you want to run more, then you'll have to open the engine up anyway and change out the pistons/rings, the rods and crank are already forged I believe. I don't know what you mean by "the nsport is a good kit if you just want to go forced induction and dont do anything else to the car." Do what else? with basically any kit you'll have to continually upgrade parts to support the added HP. If you're talking stage 1 the Nsport puts out more power, 240 whp at 7psi is pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

orion::S14
07-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by SR240SXT
...as long as you don't run over like 8 psi you're golden. If you want to run more, then you'll have to open the engine up anyway and change out the pistons/rings, the rods and crank are already forged I believe.

...If you're talking stage 1 the Nsport puts out more power, 240 whp at 7psi is pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Not so...

Where does everyone get the idea that the KA will shatter at 8-9-10-12psi??? If you do some research, you'll find there are MANY people running 8-10psi with no issues...and more than a few running 12-13psi daily, with 15psi for dyno queen numbers, even 18psi for fun. Stock bottom end, various different JWT programs, but usually the Cobra MAF/50lb/hr injectors.

And for the 240rwhp at 7psi - Seems about right for a big, laggy turbo at low boost on the KA.

Later - Brian

boosteds14
07-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 95Blue240sx
i agree with boosteds14. the fmax is the best KIT. but the nsport is a good kit if you just want to go forced induction and dont do anything else to the car.

boosteds14 the CP kit sounds pretty cool. it consist of what you really need and the rest(fuel) is up to the person. it is really convienent(sp?) for the buy. hopefuelly you guys get the kit out sooner than you think :D can i be a test subject :D

We definitly looking for an s13, so if you got one and you are local, you got yourself a free turbo kit.

95Blue240sx
07-02-2003, 10:58 AM
man i live in CA and have a S14. :hammer:

When i said that the nsport kit is good as long as you dont want to do anything else i mean that the kit is a good starter kit that has everything you need. the kit puts down great numbers, has a fmu to control the fuel, unlike the fmax, which makes you buy the JWT or any fuel system. the nsport is great on its own. it comes with everything needed to run the car good. i didnt mean the kit was bad in any way. i was going to get this kit until i started to research everything and now i want to put one together myself. it all depends on the person. how much do you want to spend, thats what it comes down to.

SR240SXT
07-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by orion::S14
Not so...

Where does everyone get the idea that the KA will shatter at 8-9-10-12psi??? If you do some research, you'll find there are MANY people running 8-10psi with no issues...and more than a few running 12-13psi daily, with 15psi for dyno queen numbers, even 18psi for fun. Stock bottom end, various different JWT programs, but usually the Cobra MAF/50lb/hr injectors.

And for the 240rwhp at 7psi - Seems about right for a big, laggy turbo at low boost on the KA.

Later - Brian

I never said the KA will shatter. I am aware that you are able to go farther than 7-8 psi but for what the Nsport kit provides and doesn't provide, its not a great idea to go over 7-8 psi due to fuel system issues, fuel rail, fuel pump, injectors etc..