PDA

View Full Version : no brake pedal feel after replaced rear brake pads on 95 240sx

GReddySTi05
04-08-2010, 12:57 AM
:newbie:

So i was ready to change my rear brake pads, but then i had to go and buy that special tool to twist the piston back in, well i put the old pads back in and went to buy the tool, but when i put them back in my e-brake light was on, and the pedal was really soft, i can push it all the way down really easy but the car wouldnt stop, it barely stops using the front brakes, and i couldnt hear my rear brakes, (the pads were gone so i heard metal scraping when i use the brakes) so i pull the ebrake and i can hear the rear ones. Car stops i just need a 5 car length distance to stop. So i get the tool, push the piston in(just enough to fit the new pads back in)<-- good or should i push it all the way in?, bleed the brakes, and go test drive it, ebrake light goes away( ebrake is very stiff), but they still dont stop, and its really soft, way to soft, like you dont even feel the softness haha, you cant feel the pedal until you push it against the wall of the car, so i pump them like 30 times real quick in a row, and it feels pretty stiff but after 2 seconds it goes back to being too soft, and idk what the problem is, first time doing this on these type of brakes.

shiftdrift
04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
bleed your brakes fool.

GReddySTi05
04-08-2010, 01:05 AM
bleed your brakes fool.

I did, like 3 times on each side

matts13vert
04-08-2010, 01:15 AM
all 4 not just rear

GReddySTi05
04-08-2010, 01:23 AM
even if i didnt touch the front?

mrchomponthis
04-08-2010, 01:27 AM
you could have used a c clamp for the caliper compression. Also yes bleed all four brakes, starting with the caliper that is furthest away from the bmc. you should be fine after that.

GReddySTi05
04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
well ill try re-bleeding them all tomorrow, but i had to use the screw type tool, couldnt use a c-clamp on the rear brakes
:also i noticed when im braking slowly to a full stop my steering wheel turns right:

g00se
04-08-2010, 09:52 AM
thats correct you cant use a c clamp on the rear brake. You have to use the box type of deal to screw your rear piston back in. but yes start bleeding your brakes starting from the farthest from your bmc.

sirfallsalot243
04-08-2010, 10:18 AM
You put the cap back on the resevoir?

GReddySTi05
04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
um yeah i put it back on, i think, or it might of been off, but ill rebleed them sometime today and let you know whats up, thanks.

slothonaleash
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
DR-PR-PF-DF

D=driver side
P=passenger side
R=rear
F=front

That's the order in which to bleed your brakes. As to the pulling to the right, get an alignment.

GReddySTi05
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
well when i stomp on the brakes only the front left locks up, so i was thinking thats why it pulls to the right, like the wheels turns 180degrees, or 90, but im about to bleed them in an hour, ill let you know whats up.

Ok so i re-bleed ever brake, also cleaned out the whole fluid in there, it was all black and had a little bit of black particles in it, so i cleaned it, now its a lot cleaner, the brakes feel a little better but still a little soft, i think they just need to break in, when you push the piston back do you push it all the way in or just enough to put the pads in?

this is what my old brake fluid looks like, then as i went around it got cleaner, or thats what i think, after i find out how to upload the pic
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/argetni01/2010-04-08165337.jpg

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
04-09-2010, 01:31 AM
When your e-brake light came on while driving, usually your low on brake fluid. Check for leaks on the brake master, hard line to rubber hose, rubber hose to caliper, and caliper boots.

shiftdrift
04-09-2010, 01:35 AM
you might have a f-ed up brake booster/bmc.

GReddySTi05
04-09-2010, 03:48 PM
well its all good, everything is clean, no more lights, stops good, filled up the cylinder wiht more brake liquid, so its all good. im pretty sure the last time someone did a brake change was over 3+ years ago