PDA

View Full Version : earthquake....ouch!!

miravete
04-06-2010, 02:13 AM
i was on my way back from Mexicali (where the earthquake struck) when we saw the mountains shake, literally !!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx3.jpg

these following pics are from going up the mountain :rant2:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx5.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx4.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx6.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/miravete/GetAttachmentaspx1.jpg

turns out it was a 7.2 earthquake on the Richter Scale :snoop:

Om1kron
04-06-2010, 02:18 AM
holy fuck!!!

sickstatus
04-06-2010, 02:20 AM
dannnnggggg. glad ur ok.

karl wasabi
04-06-2010, 02:24 AM
That is pretty intense. Hope you were in a 4x4 to get through that stuff. What an experience!

LoneStarSilvia
04-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Wow. Those pictures of the dust rising off the mountains is a once in a lifetime shot. Thanks some amazing stuff.

dex
04-06-2010, 02:31 AM
Dude I swear... your roads are now exactly like Montreal roads...

brody8877
04-06-2010, 02:34 AM
holy shit! thats fucking crazy

Slammed Assassin
04-06-2010, 02:42 AM
holy shit.. intense!!

inertiadrft
04-06-2010, 03:45 AM
wow, those are some National Geographic magazine type shots!
Just awesome..

s13drob
04-06-2010, 04:28 AM
sell the pics to the news or something haha. sweet pics. media would love em

Mister.E
04-06-2010, 04:50 AM
holy fuck!!!

:bowrofl:

dude, these are literally the first two words that came out of my mouth when i saw the pics. the dust clouds off of the hills are insane:aw:

tricky_ab
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Dude I swear... your roads are now exactly like Montreal roads...

This is sad, yet sooo true! Glad you made the trip home okay!

vtund777
04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Wow! I'm definitely speechless. Seeing how all the dirt and dust rise from the mountains would've stopped me in my tracks as well. INSANE PICTURES!!!

Dirty Habit
04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
O.t.........

fliprayzin240sx
04-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Holy shit, imagine if you have a video camera?

ZenkiKid
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
that first shot with all the dirt being kicked up in the mountains scares the shit out of me. 2012

Maiku240sxS14
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Crazy....thanks for sharing.

S14DB
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
"General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars" this is not, moved to Off Topic.

Vanessa
04-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Wicked!! :eek:

s13poop
04-06-2010, 09:35 AM
damn man that shit looks intense

thats pretty weird i have fam in tecate too! :bigok:

NewYorksBestS30
04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Wicked!! :eek:

Almost as much as you creating your first post after being a member for 5 years!

Ceepo
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Dude, that is a sick photo!!! glad you were okay

rollout240
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
holy shit thats something crazy!! mountains dusting themselves off are a once in a lifetime shot. and dude the earth split open!!..makes me wonder whats next in store for mother nature. Glad everyone was ok. thanks for the pics.

TUnity2
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
this is why i live in Louisiana. I'd take a hurricane that i get a 2 week warning for over the earth suddenly shaking violently any damn day.

awesome pic btw.

imcunner
04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
looks just like the movie 2012

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Vanessa
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Almost as much as you creating your first post after being a member for 5 years!

lmao someone posted this up on another board and I thought to myself.. oh yeah I'm a member of Zilvia :D

S14_Kouki
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
How that is crazy

I LUV MY S13
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
wow, those are some National Geographic magazine type shots!
Just awesome..

hell yeah..

rican_nick
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
wow that is crazy man!

miravete
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
heres a vid of the shaking;

YouTube - 1:N - TERREMOTO MEXICALI 7.2 part1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHdy4yaQqg8)

scary shit...

Tantwoforty
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
goddaaamn... glad your ok thats scary stuff...
hella cool tho

w0nderbr3ad
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
wow..if there was an HDR shot or a high res of that landscape I'd have some new wallpaper. Awesome shots

stinky_180
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
7.8-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/78-magnitude-earthquake-hits-indonesia-2010-04-06)

looks like another big earthquake just went off! thats what, 5 earthquakes, in the past 3-4 months? i hope California's 'big one' doesn't go off....

I LUV MY S13
04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
7.8-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia - MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/78-magnitude-earthquake-hits-indonesia-2010-04-06)

looks like another big earthquake just went off! thats what, 5 earthquakes, in the past 3-4 months? i hope California's 'big one' doesn't go off....

its the puente hills faults that are suppose to go off..thats directly under downtown LA

well i just spoke to a friend who was in mexicali on easter..said it was fuckin scary, shit was falling and breaking everywhere and that is was really hard to try and run through the house getting everyone out...

and to OP, were those pics during, immediatley after, or a bit after?

kyoru
04-06-2010, 07:50 PM
the first two pictures are nuts

Mikey213
04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
You people and your "big one" it's funny. The big ones* will only be Strike slipping. Oh no my swimming pool water is sloshing out. Oh no I dented my bowling ball. Oh no there's a crack in the MOUNTAIN road that I can step in Big deal... hahah im not even gonna say anything else. But very nice capture of the mountain shake!

airsoft
04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm sure the 1906 "Strike Slip" in San Francisco was just an "oh no my swimming pool water is sloshing out."

Mikey213
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
It was... It was the noob arrangement of the city. The fires did the most damage. Earthquake didn't really do that much damage.

sincity_sil80
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
scurry ish.. glad i live in vegas.. we dont have anything to fear as far as natural disasters go.. knock on wood.. arent all these earthquakes expediting the seperation of california from the rest of the 48??? maybe stupid but i heard it moves like an inch a year..maybe my great great grand kids will have beach front property haha

drift freaq
04-06-2010, 11:56 PM
It was... It was the noob arrangement of the city. The fires did the most damage. Earthquake didn't really do that much damage.

Actually you're wrong about that. It did tons of damage over hundreds of miles. It moved earth up to 12 feet. It toppled statues at Stanford as well as damaging buildings there. The reason a good portion of San Francisco did not get destroyed in the initial quake is because a lot of it was wood frame buildings. Wood frames tend to wiggle real well in in Earthquakes but there were many major buildings that did fall in the 06 quake in the city and many big buildings that sustained damage.

The 06 was a 8.2 with a extra pulse shock because the epicenter was in a straight line section of fault around Bolinas/ Pt Reyes.

Scientists have only discovered the extra pulse shock, besides the regular shock wave in the last couple of years through lab experiments. The damage over hundreds of miles showed them something else was going on but they could not figure it out until only recently.

In fact the San Andreas south east of Los Angeles is locked up tighter than any other fault they know of. Scientific research has shown it normally would have a regular large quake every 200 years. It has now been 300 years since the last one and there have been no minor quakes on it in over 30 years.

This is actually in a straight line from Downtown LA in the desert. The fault while not crossing through downtown LA runs a straight line parallel to it. It pretty much means LA is set to receive the exact same type of quake with a secondary pulse shock wave as what hit San Francisco in 06 expected damage from it would make the Northridge quake and the Loma Prieta Quake look like petty quakes.

I was in Loma Prieta in Berkeley Ca I watched the road in front of the Japanese Engine and transmission warehouse I worked at do 4ft rollers in the pavement. I watched Engines fly off shelves 50 ft in the air. It was pretty crazy and amazing.

scurry ish.. glad i live in vegas.. we dont have anything to fear as far as natural disasters go.. knock on wood.. arent all these earthquakes expediting the seperation of california from the rest of the 48??? maybe stupid but i heard it moves like an inch a year..maybe my great great grand kids will have beach front property haha

I said this in the other quake thread I will say it again here in different words. Read up on Plate tectonics. The Pacific plate is subducting under the North American Continental Plate while indeed it is sliding northward its also pushing up the North American Continental Plate. California will not sink its actually rising . Nevada would be the area that might sink farther down because of this. Oh and guess what Nevada is not immune to Earthquakes. a Good quake in the Mojave would rattle you guys and the Mojave does have Earthquakes.

Oh and the pics the OP posted were damn crazy.

4DOOR_LIFE
04-07-2010, 01:13 AM
those pics are fucking nuts. i wonder if anyone was driving through the mountains when that shit occurred.. geez i hope not. good thing you were hella far from any type of danger.

PhilipJdm
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
damn, the pics are sick, i dont think ill ever get to see the mountains like that. glad your okay. like everyone else says on the thread. thats badass

Mikey213
04-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Actually you're wrong about that. It did tons of damage over hundreds of miles. It moved earth up to 12 feet. It toppled statues at Stanford as well as damaging buildings there. The reason a good portion of San Francisco did not get destroyed in the initial quake is because a lot of it was wood frame buildings. Wood frames tend to wiggle real well in in Earthquakes but there were many major buildings that did fall in the 06 quake in the city and many big buildings that sustained damage.

The 06 was a 8.2 with a extra pulse shock because the epicenter was in a straight line section of fault around Bolinas/ Pt Reyes.

Scientists have only discovered the extra pulse shock, besides the regular shock wave in the last couple of years through lab experiments. The damage over hundreds of miles showed them something else was going on but they could not figure it out until only recently.

In fact the San Andreas south east of Los Angeles is locked up tighter than any other fault they know of. Scientific research has shown it normally would have a regular large quake every 200 years. It has now been 300 years since the last one and there have been no minor quakes on it in over 30 years.

This is actually in a straight line from Downtown LA in the desert. The fault while not crossing through downtown LA runs a straight line parallel to it. It pretty much means LA is set to receive the exact same type of quake with a secondary pulse shock wave as what hit San Francisco in 06 expected damage from it would make the Northridge quake and the Loma Prieta Quake look like petty quakes.

I was in Loma Prieta in Berkeley Ca I watched the road in front of the Japanese Engine and transmission warehouse I worked at do 4ft rollers in the pavement. I watched Engines fly off shelves 50 ft in the air. It was pretty crazy and amazing.

I said this in the other quake thread I will say it again here in different words. Read up on Plate tectonics. The Pacific plate is subducting under the North American Continental Plate while indeed it is sliding northward its also pushing up the North American Continental Plate. California will not sink its actually rising . Nevada would be the area that might sink farther down because of this. Oh and guess what Nevada is not immune to Earthquakes. a Good quake in the Mojave would rattle you guys and the Mojave does have Earthquakes.

Oh and the pics the OP posted were damn crazy.

I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't compare the San Fransisco fault lines with the Los Angeles ones AT ALL. The ones here are way more complicated than the SF ones. SF is sitting on the SA fault system. (what I meant when I said noob arrangement along with 1906 building codes) LA is sitting on a triangle of very complicated lines. When the LA ones do awake (hopefully the Mojave will keep the line you're talking about at rest) it'll be similar to the Northridge one. Which isn't that bad. As long as we don't fall hella(10^27) feet deep into the earth's core like in 2012 then it's all gulay.'

ronmcdon
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Supposedly there was another small quake in SD today.
My gf in La Jolla said there was something.
that or maybe she forget her morning coffee.

atutt
04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Those first two pics are incredible... Makes you realize you're still Earth's little bitch...

all show no go
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Those first two pics are incredible... Makes you realize you're still Earth's little bitch...

QFT, no lie It makes you feel like so tiny & insignificant to the power of the planet. Too many fucking quakes lately.

drift freaq
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't compare the San Fransisco fault lines with the Los Angeles ones AT ALL. The ones here are way more complicated than the SF ones. SF is sitting on the SA fault system. (what I meant when I said noob arrangement along with 1906 building codes) LA is sitting on a triangle of very complicated lines. When the LA ones do awake (hopefully the Mojave will keep the line you're talking about at rest) it'll be similar to the Northridge one. Which isn't that bad. As long as we don't fall hella(10^27) feet deep into the earth's core like in 2012 then it's all gulay.'

Well I am going off a Scientifically based study done by the USGS.

You say the bay area has less faults crisscrossing than LA? Actually it probably has close to the same amount. Just because there is a bay does not mean fault lines magically stop. LOL There are many faults in the bay you just don't here about them. Just like many faults here but we only here about the big ones or the ones a quake happens on.

There are as many faults crisscrossing the bay area as LA.

You seem to short change the significance the of the San Andrea's all together with almost wishful thinking.
I stated geological fact about it being overdue to have a major 8.0 or above quake in Socal.
Fact that is documented and that its 100 years overdue.

Fact that the worst part is a mere 50-100 miles outside the City.

Fact that the Mojave is sand so it will transmit the shock readily.

Fact that we felt a 7.2 quake on Easter that was 352 miles away.

Truth be told it will be big and it will cause a lot of damage. I was in Loma Prieta which was a 7.2 that happened almost 75 miles away from San Francisco and 100 miles away from Berkeley. To watch Engines flying off shelves and have the road in front of the warehouse do 4 ft swells? The fact that it toppled and buildings and broke gas linse causing fire in the Marina section of San Francisco, caused major damage to buildings in Golden Gate Park, knocked down the cypress freeway, collapsed a section of the bay bridge etc.. and that was only a 7.2 LOL

Plus the Northridge Quake was nothing to dismiss. It caused tons of Damage it brought down Freeways overpasses all over. It crushed buildings.
The Northridge quake was like a primer for what we can expect here.

No nothing like 2012 think more like Chile.

ZenkiKid
04-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Yup there was, my whole office felt a little shake

ESmorz
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM

I woke up startled for no apparent reason at 9:44 and was befuddled.

Mikey213
04-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Well I am going off a Scientifically based study done by the USGS.

You say the bay area has less faults crisscrossing than LA? Actually it probably has close to the same amount. Just because there is a bay does not mean fault lines magically stop. LOL There are many faults in the bay you just don't here about them. Just like many faults here but we only here about the big ones or the ones a quake happens on.

There are as many faults crisscrossing the bay area as LA.

You seem to short change the significance the of the San Andrea's all together with almost wishful thinking.
I stated geological fact about it being overdue to have a major 8.0 or above quake in Socal.
Fact that is documented and that its 100 years overdue.

Fact that the worst part is a mere 50-100 miles outside the City.

Fact that the Mojave is sand so it will transmit the shock readily.

Fact that we felt a 7.2 quake on Easter that was 352 miles away.

Truth be told it will be big and it will cause a lot of damage. I was in Loma Prieta which was a 7.2 that happened almost 75 miles away from San Francisco and 100 miles away from Berkeley. To watch Engines flying off shelves and have the road in front of the warehouse do 4 ft swells? The fact that it toppled and buildings and broke gas linse causing fire in the Marina section of San Francisco, caused major damage to buildings in Golden Gate Park, knocked down the cypress freeway, collapsed a section of the bay bridge etc.. and that was only a 7.2 LOL

Plus the Northridge Quake was nothing to dismiss. It caused tons of Damage it brought down Freeways overpasses all over. It crushed buildings.
The Northridge quake was like a primer for what we can expect here.

No nothing like 2012 think more like Chile.

I to am basically summarizing a scientifically based study done by someone from USGS.

By complication, I don't think they meant complication as in just crisscrossing fault lines but the way the fault lines dynamically act to each other.

Fact that the big boss SA is a strike slip

Fact that there's a LITTLE brother thrust fault in LA

When you see quakes like Chile their main big boss faults aren't strike slips but thrust faults. Think of side to side slip n' slide vs violent up n down baby shake.

miravete
04-09-2010, 01:06 AM
so drift_freak and Mikey213 are posting all scientifically, for the rest of us, or atleast me, all i know is that shit was scary, almost soiled my pants, and it was sure an experience.

we felt the earth shake as it happened.

zspeedrft
04-09-2010, 01:35 AM

drift freaq
04-09-2010, 02:07 AM
I to am basically summarizing a scientifically based study done by someone from USGS.

By complication, I don't think they meant complication as in just crisscrossing fault lines but the way the fault lines dynamically act to each other.

Fact that the big boss SA is a strike slip

Fact that there's a LITTLE brother thrust fault in LA

When you see quakes like Chile their main big boss faults aren't strike slips but thrust faults. Think of side to side slip n' slide vs violent up n down baby shake.

I know all about the thrust fault that caused Northridge. All I am saying is don't underestimate either type of Quake. Also don't forgot the Pulse wave I was talking about earlier as its and added bonus when you have a Quake on a straight line section of the San Andreas that is locked up.

You just seem to dismiss strike slip faults as nothing. They are just as powerful and a large quake is a large quake whether it be a thrust up or a side to side Earth moves and things fall.

Quakes in general do not really scare me its more shear excitement. Call me crazy. LOL

Oh and for anyone thinking 2012 lol get off the conspiracy theory bandwagon.

The Mayan Calander started in 600 AD and ends in 2012. The Mayans created their calender by accurate mapping of the stars and mathematics. All it maps out is a Celestial event that will happen in 2012 basically an alignment of the center of the Milky way with our solar system . Nothing more.

The world will still exist in 2013 as will our civilization.

sickstatus
04-09-2010, 03:27 AM
the mayans ran out of rock to write on. lolol jk.

drift freq, ur a pretty smart guy. lol. ur statements/arguments are entertaining to read.

real talk.

I LUV MY S13
04-09-2010, 03:31 AM
well being at the center of our galaxy isnt good either..its notorious for numerous astroids and comets, either way the end of our civilization is inevitable..sorry folks

S14DB
04-09-2010, 07:28 AM
well being at the center of our galaxy isnt good either..its notorious for numerous astroids and comets, either way the end of our civilization is inevitable..sorry folks

http://www.starrynighteducation.com/stargazer/images/1243MilkyWay2.gif

The center you say?

drift freaq
04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
http://www.starrynighteducation.com/stargazer/images/1243MilkyWay2.gif

The center you say?

:rofl: hahahhaha exactly!

Who said anything about being at the center. I said we would line up with the center of the galaxy, lining up with the center and being at the center? One would think its different. Que? hahhahahahhaha.

Oh and according to current astronomic theory the center of a our Galaxy is a Black hole. Oh no we are going to get sucked in. Not! :rofl:

Once again I will state this though. This is a thread about Earthquakes not about 2012 and the crackpot theories about it. LOL

phillofdfuture
04-12-2010, 11:18 PM
geez...crazy

Chrischeezer
04-12-2010, 11:41 PM
OOHHH SHIT!..

platetectonics
learned about this in highschool.

Mikey213
04-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Even if we were to get sucked in a black hole that's in the center it would take way longer than 2012 hahahaha. It makes me wonder how these 2012 people would react during a 10 min 4.5 quake.

drift freaq
04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Even if we were to get sucked in a black hole that's in the center it would take way longer than 2012 hahahaha. It makes me wonder how these 2012 people would react during a 10 min 4.5 quake.

They would freak out. Of course you realize that a 10 min quake is longer than anything man has experienced earthquake wise. LOL

Seriously a 40 second quake like the Baja/Mexicali Quake seemed like a long time.

miravete
04-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Seriously a 40 second quake like the Baja/Mexicali Quake seemed like a long time.

it was 40 seconds? shit, it felt like 2mins seriously :hide: