PDA

View Full Version : OS Giken Super Single TOB

Silvia_Drift
04-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey guys. I installed an OS Giken Super Single (steel) into my S13 SR last summer. I used a new OEM Nissan TOB and it is obviously the wrong one because the pressure plate hits the TOB when the clutch is engaged and makes a lot of noise.

I just need to know what TOB and sleeve (if necessary) I need to buy.

I took a look at this thread already:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/196083-os-giken-super-single-sr.html

It seems like the part numbers from the thread are from the multi-plate clutch page where as mine is a super single.

Also, I saw this:

OS Giken Release Sleeve Bearing (http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-release-sleeve-bearing-8664)

Only the Pulsar GTi-R is listed and not the S13 SR.

It would be great if someone could let me know what I need to buy cause I need to replace the TOB before it destroys the pp.

Thanks!

Om1kron
04-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I think DousanPG might have an answer to that for you.

Silvia_Drift
04-04-2010, 04:51 PM
K thanks, I'll shoot him a pm.

ILoveJDM
04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
my super single is super noisy with the clutch in, it came that way from japan so i couldnt really tell you, but im guessing mine is oem TOB.

Silvia_Drift
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I am a little confused.

I asked RHDJapan and at first they said this was the right part :

OS Giken Release Sleeve Bearing (http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-release-sleeve-bearing-8664)

Then they messaged me again saying that the OEM one is used (which isn't true).

I'm still waiting for OS Giken to get back to me. I'll post the part number here when they do.

Psycho 240 Freak
04-05-2010, 05:09 AM
It's normal. Mine does the same. Here's right off the OS Giken website:

Why do all OS Giken clutches make a noise when the clutch is disengaged?
All OS clutch kits utilize a free-floating pressure plate design. Most “traditional” clutch designs secure the pressure plate to the cover through the use of a pressure plate drive strap (aka “granny strap”). The advantage of having the granny strap is that clutch operation remains noiseless whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. However, in many situations where the clutch is being abused (i.e. “spirited” driving and/or racing), the granny strap can become a weak point in the system and has a tendency to bend or break, potentially causing clutch failure and damage to drivetrain components. With the OS free-floating pressure plate design, pressure applied to the disks is even throughout the clutch lifespan, and the friction material of the metallic disks is bonded through a specialized process (as opposed to the cheaper riveted process used by most other competitors and OEM). This aids in increasing durability and lengthening the useful service life of an OS clutch, as power will continue to be transmitted effectively until the disks are extremely thin (since no rivets are present to create another weak point). Some race teams have gone through multiple seasons on an OS clutch before requiring a rebuild!

In regards to multi-plate clutch designs, all aftermarket manufacturers' multi-plate clutches will inherently emit a noise when the clutch is disengaged. This noise is emitted from the centerplate(s) vibrating against the cover posts. However, many competitors' clutches do not utilize the same strengthening processes during manufacturing as OS Giken, which will lead to increased material degradation over time. Because of this, the clutch noise will often become louder over time, as the centerplate(s) start to wear away and have more free-play within the housing. The OS design, coupled with the use of the most suitable materials and manufacturing processes, will minimize any system degradation and help to keep the clutch performing and sounding the same as when it was first installed. In fact, many OS Giken clutch users are proud to point out the signature noise emitted to anyone who asks, as it is a reminder that the car is equipped with one of the best performing and longest lasting clutches available!

http://www.osgiken.net/faqs.html#200903_09

BlitzRPS13
04-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Yea i have a osgiken super single on my silvia.. and it makes the same noise.. perfectly normal... sounds like a jingle kinda.. hard to explain.. but if the noise sounds bad.. something is wrong.

Teknolust72
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
There is a OS Giken office in the USA. You should try calling them for tech support - that's why they are there.

Top Page | OS GIKEN (http://www.osgiken.net)

Silvia_Drift
04-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Hmm, I'll try calling.

But I don't think the sound mine makes is normal.

I'll take a video of it and post it up.

Psycho 240 Freak
04-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Just look up on youtube. There are plenty of videos of the normal sound that these type of clutches make.

Silvia_Drift
04-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Just look up on youtube. There are plenty of videos of the normal sound that these type of clutches make.

Shit, I should of thought of that thanks lol.

I just looked up the vids and mine sounds the same. I guess I'm just a retard and nothing is broken haha.

Thanks guys.