PDA

View Full Version : how to buy a car from out of state

spools420a
04-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey everyone I'm purchasing a car from zilvia this week from a different state and having it towed back with a towing agency,So I wanted to know what are the key first steps in payment transaction and bills of sale,I'm placing a down payment on the car to insure that knowone else buys it within these few days and will be getting the car fully payed off within 4 days or so but how do i do this transaction?I have a cashiers check for half the cars total price,Should I trade down payment for title or give the towing company the cashiers check to trade cash over for car and title?I know alot of you have done this many times please let me know thank you.

spools420a
04-04-2010, 04:33 PM
bump for help

TheWolf
04-04-2010, 04:57 PM
the car your purchasing isn't paid off?? IE he doesn't have the title?

drift freaq
04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
First off you might try proper punctuation. so we can figure out exactly what you're trying to ask.

spools420a
04-04-2010, 05:10 PM
the car your purchasing isn't paid off?? IE he doesn't have the title?
He has a clean title,Its all paid off.

spools420a
04-04-2010, 05:11 PM
First off you might try proper punctuation. so we can figure out exactly what you're trying to ask.
Sorry my english isnt the best,Fixed for you.

spools420a
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
bump me for more info

nissanfreak317
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Are you going to be there when the towing agency comes for the car? or are you half way across the continent from where the car is located? buying cars isn't usually difficult. in your case, you aren't driving the car home so you wont even need temporary transit tags.
ummmm, so here's how its supposed to work.
1. you both sign a bill of sale agreeing on the price and condition of vehicle.
2. you pay him the money for the car
3. he gives you the car and the title
4. you go to the tags place or whatever and do a title transfer and register your car/provide proof of insurance and get your tags.

the only thing that could get in the way of this is if you are really far away from him. in which case you would maybe fax copies of a bill of sale back and forth, then mail him or send the check/money somehow with your tow truck driver? but the title must be signed and notarized by him at a tags place!! that way when you get it you can take it to get it transferred into your name. thats how it works in pa anyways. good luck dude.

drift freaq
04-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Here is how I have done it in the past. I sold a SR car to a guy in Texas. He sent me a deposit through paypal. Then I made arrangements with the transport company. I put him in contact with them as well. As soon as the car hit the transport they notified him it was on the way. I sent him the pink and he paid me off.

I purchased a clean vert for Halo a premium member here and ex mod. He lives in Canada. He sent me the cash I put the car on the carrier and sent it and the pink off to him. He had it shipped to New York crossed the border picked it up and drove it back across.

Now in some states they will not let you transfer title without A: a statement of facts from the other state signed by the state highway patrol or B: them seeing the car in person. This is how it is in New Mexico.

spools420a
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
The thing is he did'nt want to go through paypal because they take some money out on the transaction so I chose to get a cashiers check money order,I know that pay pal reinburses you if you dont get your item from paypal is this why you all chose it?Or will cashiers check be ok and I can stop worrying.Thanks a ton for the replys Ill work on getting the bill of sale tomarrow and let me know if cashiers check seems safe enough,Again thanks.

spools420a
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Payment was sent via certified cashiers check thank you guys.