PDA

View Full Version : Ronald McDonald to blame for child obesity?

SimpleS14
04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
According to Corporate Accountability International, Ronald is feeding a "fast-food-industry childhood obesity crisis." Nearly 60% of Americans polled by the group believe that the fast-food industry is responsible for a growing "epidemic of childhood obesity and diet-related disease,"and marketing efforts to children that include Ronald McDonald are the biggest culprits.

Full article: Is Ronald McDonald facing a layoff?- Top Stocks - MSN Money (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/blog.aspx?post=1733211&_blg=1,1733211)

So apparently the McDonald's mascot is the blame for child obesity in America. :wtf:

I think that is just flat out ridiculous....

karl wasabi
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM
The only ones to blame for obesity is fat people themselves and the parents who keep feeding their fat children more junk food.

Phlip
04-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Blame everything but the problem, beautiful... Parents of obese children are the cause of childhood obesity, not the people who are more than willing to reap the rewards of providing the device to fuel it.

Gnnr
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
"You're hung up on some clown from the SIXTIES, man!"

GuP9YClyPRY

VNG704
04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
yea, happy meals and their toys are bribes.... lol

ronmcdon
04-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Blaming the business, in place of personal responsibility, is bad enough as is.
Taking it out on the mascot is just downright laughable.

I happen to like Ronald McDonald & the corny ads he/it's in.
I just don't see any correlation whatsoever.

On a side note, the crap they serve to kids at public schools isn't exactly what you'd call healthy either
(at least no what I've seen here in norcal & socal).
If public schools would stop serving food period, that would do more to curb kiddie obesity imo

Teddy
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
That's bullshit. I mean, I really don't care about Ronald McDonald or McDonald's at all for that matter, but people need to start taking responsibility for their actions. This is ridiculous.

CrimsonRockett
04-02-2010, 03:02 PM
This has been going on for quite some time now.

I remember when I gained a ton of weight back in my early high school days, I didn't blame the Cheetos, the massive amounts of soda I drank each day, or the fact that I wasn't all that active.

I blamed myself. Lost the weight and kept it off the last two years of high school.

Did let myself go again. Already lost a good 15lbs since a meet I attended not too long ago. Haven't been trying that hard either. Just watched what I ate and became a little bit more active.

All of these people blaming fast-food companies are pathetic.

Something as simple as replacing soda with water or a big mac with a Subway sandwich goes a long way.

dert420sx
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
then they should also blame video game companies for the sedentary lives kids are living these days.

+10000 to everyone who mentioned personal/parental accountability.
wake up people! your kids don't need sugary starbucks every day before school!

a fatass will always be a fatass until he/she learns to not keep shoveling food into their mouths.
they're fat because they WANT to, not because Ronald told them to.

WanganRunner
04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Parents of obese children are the cause of childhood obesity

^^
Yes.

Believe it or not, if you don't feed your child seven thousand calories of over-processed lardwaste every day, they're a lot less likely to get fucking diabeetus.

Or hell, just let them get fat. Like I care. If all the other kids at school weigh six hundred pounds, I guess my (future) kids will have a better chance at being starters on sports teams.

ManoNegra
04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
This has been going on for quite some time now.

I remember when I gained a ton of weight back in my early high school days, I didn't blame the Cheetos, the massive amounts of soda I drank each day, or the fact that I wasn't all that active.

I blamed myself. Lost the weight and kept it off the last two years of high school.

Did let myself go again. Already lost a good 15lbs since a meet I attended not too long ago. Haven't been trying that hard either. Just watched what I ate and became a little bit more active.

All of these people blaming fast-food companies are pathetic.

Something as simple as replacing soda with water or a big mac with a Subway sandwich goes a long way.

Chasing down all those parts must burn a ton of calories. :wavey:
Man, 15lbs since the meet!? wow
I could stand to lose 20lbs or so
and btw, McDonald's is pretty nasty

CrimsonRockett
04-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Chasing down all those parts must burn a ton of calories. :wavey:
Man, 15lbs since the meet!? wow
I could stand to lose 20lbs or so
and btw, McDonald's is pretty nasty

Haha, I stopped chasing parts. Passed on the San Diego deal(Kouki stuff). Just didn't feel like driving 4-5 hours for something my brother probably wouldn't want since he'd have to pay to have it painted.

Yep, 15lbs since the meet. I was at around 220 give or take.

Down to 205 now and still going. GF and I are both putting effort into it. She's already skinny. Just needs to tone up.

Goal is about 185. After that, I'll just tone up.

But, yeah. I haven't actually had Mcdonald's in about a year.

Last thing I had from there was breakfast.

ryguy
04-02-2010, 04:53 PM
On a side note, the crap they serve to kids at public schools isn't exactly what you'd call healthy either
(at least no what I've seen here in norcal & socal).
If public schools would stop serving food period, that would do more to curb kiddie obesity imo

I disagree, I think there are a few reasons school lunches are the healthiest lunches. For one, the meals are usually balanced. All the important food groups are usually represented. Also, the portion sizes are very controlled, as long as the student doesnt buy two lunches or extras.

I took half days the second half of my senior year, and that's when my weight started to balloon, when I started choosing my own lunches.

ronmcdon
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I disagree, I think there are a few reasons school lunches are the healthiest lunches. For one, the meals are usually balanced. All the important food groups are usually represented. Also, the portion sizes are very controlled, as long as the student doesnt buy two lunches or extras.

I took half days the second half of my senior year, and that's when my weight started to balloon, when I started choosing my own lunches.

^^^

idk, it could have been better outside of CA, possibly at another time.
I worked briefly with an elementary school office last year
(college project of some sorts).

Kids were eating lots corn dogs, pizza, (over-cooked) pasta & meatballs, & soda.
If there were veggies, I probably didn't notice.

DALAZ_68
04-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Goal is about 185. After that, I'll just tone up.

But, yeah. I haven't actually had Mcdonald's in about a year.

Last thing I had from there was breakfast.

i was gonna say...jessus, she looses anymore wait she'd disappear...she's tiny...

my personal opinion, its true its the irresponsible parents...im a biggun, i blame my parents for it, but i now blame my self if anything for not doing something about it when i became aware...:wiggle:

shit happens...

ryguy
04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Kids were eating lots corn dogs, pizza, (over-cooked) pasta & meatballs, & soda.
If there were veggies, I probably didn't notice.

We did have things like pizza, corn dogs, pasta, and rib sandwiches, but like I said, the portion sizes were what they should be. You can eat anything and stay healthy as long as you eat it in moderation.

Also, usually if we had pizza, there would be corn, or some kind of fruit, things like that.

ericcastro
04-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I can easily see how they are to blame.
And not just mcdonalds, but the fast food industry and FDA in general.

they changed the entire way that the world viewed food.
And then they processed the shit out of it.
used all kinds of shit in it that is addictive and cheap.
And then upped their sizes.

A happy meal is what an adult meal used to be.

And the Soda industry should be taking a shit load of the blame as well.

All those companies fucked things up real good.
Social views on food included.
Most people in Urban and more "uneducated" areas dont know better till they are obese adults.

So now we are a few generations into a fucking delema of people that dont anything else besides fast and instant foods that come in boxes at the grocery store or drive throughs.
And at a certain point, Mcdonalds and companies KNEW what they were doing.
The sugar, the sacarin, the sodium.
They went for the dollar, instead of what would be better and healthy.

But the worse offender is the FDA
They allow all that shit to be used in the products.
and they keep oking that shit in the amounts its being used.

Fast food has been trying to cater to a healthier menu.
although, once your inside the door, you forget about it.

Fuck fast food.
They have made Billions for decades off the health of people.
fucking leaches.
time for the consequenses.
Reap it fuckin judases.

Just because people believe you or dont know any better, doesnt mean its ok to take advantage of them.

And as a kid, before most of you were born, we didnt know that that shit was so bad for you.
we figured it had a lot of sugar and wasnt the best food.
But didnt knwo how really fucking bad it was.
There was a time that restraunts didnt have to display the calories on anything.

McDonalds is a bunch of money grubbing assholes.
killing the rein forest.
I remember when they used styrafoam for everything and people fought to ban that cause all the CFC's fucking up the ozone.

fuck that ginger clown!!

anyone read that new study on the addictive nature of the sugars and shit mcdonalds and soda companies use?

satal95
04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
The only ones to blame for obesity is fat people themselves and the parents who keep feeding their fat children more junk food.

That's bullshit. I mean, I really don't care about Ronald McDonald or McDonald's at all for that matter, but people need to start taking responsibility for their actions. This is ridiculous.

Ain't that the truth. The parents of fat kids want to blame everyone but themselves. Is it the kids that are walking(highly doubt it since their fat) to McDonalds or is the parents driving them

ronmcdon
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Most people in Urban and more "uneducated" areas dont know better till they are obese adults.

So now we are a few generations into a fucking delema of people that dont anything else besides fast and instant foods that come in boxes at the grocery store or drive throughs.

Fuck fast food.
fucking leaches.
Reap it fuckin judases.

Just because people believe you or dont know any better, doesnt mean its ok to take advantage of them.

And as a kid, before most of you were born, we didnt know that that shit was so bad for you.
There was a time that restraunts didnt have to display the calories on anything.

killing the rein forest.
I remember when they used styrafoam for everything and people fought to ban that cause all the CFC's fucking up the ozone.

fuck that ginger clown!!

anyone read that new study on the addictive nature of the sugars and shit mcdonalds and soda companies use?

I agree the FDA is fucking worst.
(it fully deserves a thread on it's own!).
They really ought to take more accountability when reviewing what foods are safe for consumption.

I don't think obesity is the only problem.
Look at cancer, and how approx 1 in 5 ppl die of it in the US.
There obviously is a lot crap in our foods that aren't meant to be there at all.

However, that being said pretty much all business (and most ppl) are greedy.
That is why there, hypothetically imo, are laws & government.
needless to say, we all know how well that works out.

McD's obviously isn't the healthiest of foods,
nor is it the most benevolent of companies,
but it really isn't the worst either
(they do good deeds like the Ronald Mc Donald house & other charities).

What makes it any better or worse than other fast foods, idk.
The calories, preservatives, & ingredients are more or less the same.
You're not going to be any more healthy substituting for say Taco Bell.
Even the stuff they sell at most supermarkets requires discretion.
Even when something is sold as 'organic', really how can you prove it?
(esp if it's meats with minimal packaging).

I actually can't descriminate on the basis of calories though.
As long the company selling it is honest, really it's a matter of personal choice.
I'd hate it if laws prevented the places from selling desserts (or anything else) b/c of high calorie content.
Besides, it's just difficult to regulate something as general as that.

Back to obesity though,
I have a hunch it's not just about calories.
Ppl have been eating high calorie foods forever, & it hasn't changed all that much.
Tbh - I think McD's food sizes are a bit on the measly side, considering the cost.
Maybe it's the trans-fat, preservatives, or something else.
I really need to look into this.

DALAZ_68
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Fuck fast food.
fucking leaches.
Reap it fuckin judases.

killing the rein forest.

fuck that ginger clown!!

Im guessing Steph logged in...lol

but he's got a good point about all the crazy shit they put in the food...

science teach at my school had a big mac ina glass casing for 2 years....i shit you not people, that thing didnt look like it aged at all...just imagine how that processes thru ur gut

prob one of the reasons ive decided to stay away as much as possible from said types of fast food...once ina blue moon sure...but im talking bout 1 every what? 3 months if that...

Ain't that the truth. The parents of fat kids want to blame everyone but themselves. Is it the kids that are walking(highly doubt it since their fat) to McDonalds or is the parents driving them

its the new america...sue everyone

KA24DESOneThree
04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Corn.

I blame it on corn.

ericcastro
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
corn, high fruitcose syrup shit is a big one, amazing amounts of sodium.

As bad as McD's is, look at the calories on those $6 burger things at carls junior.
fucking heart attack central.

Its hard to eat healthy now days.
As soon as you eat some shitty food from somewhere quik, or something processed.
Your body starts to crave that shit for awhile.

Eventually our government better make the FDA and tabacco industries get accountable, or we can just keep paying way to much for shitty health care cause all the problems that shit causes.

apparently people are to stupid to make all their own decisions, thats why we have government with our "smartest" officials elected, lol.

ronmcdon
04-03-2010, 12:41 AM
It's not hard to eat healthy, it's just usually more expensive & inconvenient.
I know I'd rather opt for a nicer gourmet burger w/out preservatives but that's just me.

You already having cholestrol problems at your age?
Calories you can just burn it off.
I don't see the issue unless you're too lazy to work out.

The tobacco companies have had a good deal of restrictions and addt'l taxes imposed.
The FDA, however, seems like it can do about whatever it wants.

Yeah, ultimately we have to watch what we eat.
Complaining about the gov't won't amount to a pile of beans when you get cancer.
(hypothetically speaking).
You just don't rely the FDA period.

upsdude
04-03-2010, 03:08 AM
People these days want to blame everyone around them but themselves for their problems. if your kids are fat, then BE A DAMN PARENT and regulate their food. Are they struggling in school? then do your job and be more involved, instead of placing all the blame on teachers...they're only going to be able to do so much-parent involvement is crucial. Why do people have kids if they can't put in the work jeez.

ronmcdon
04-03-2010, 11:01 PM
People in the modern day (it's not just the US) like to blame something else.
Society tends to reinforce that.
It's also surprisingly difficult for most ppl to be honest with themselves.
(not just criticism, but usually also with praise).

To be fair most things today are more complex.
Most things have more than a single cause.
Although personal (and parental) responsiblity carry the most weight, it's seldom that simple.
Media (mass media and otherwise) usually carries considerable influence, among other factors.

ryguy
04-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Let me play all of you the world's saddest song

on the world's smallest violin.

Jesus christ, get over it. People need to take accountability for their own health. End of story. If you can't resist shoving that big mac down your gut, that's your problem. Dirty Mac should not be held accountable for your gluttony.

mRclARK1
04-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Just watch Jamie Oliver's show on ABC...

Kids who don't even know to how eat using a knife and fork and can't name basic vegetables? Kids are fed crap at the schools and often more crap at home by their parents.

There's people in our generation expected to die of complications from obesity as early as their 30's. No one cooks anymore... It's all the microwave. haha

theicecreamdan
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Marketing greasy fatty food with clowns and free toys is just as real as marketing cigarettes to kids. They are both addictive and bad for your health.

I don't think its unfair to take a look at how these foods are being marketed and see how fair it really is.

I was pretty lucky that I went through several small schools before high school. The food was decently healthy. My diet in high school SUCKED though. There was a decent selection of healthy food to choose from, but it was a lot cheaper and more convenient to eat the stuff that wasn't so good for you. And Most of the time I probably drank 3 or 4 20oz bottles of soda per day. I think in schools and in general there should be healthier options that are priced competitively with McD's etc.

The problem is that the fast food chains have so much buying power.

Enna
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Gotta love them animal growth hormones and the fantastic things they produce however.

ronmcdon
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Marketing greasy fatty food with clowns and free toys is just as real as marketing cigarettes to kids. They are both addictive and bad for your health.

I don't think its unfair to take a look at how these foods are being marketed and see how fair it really is.

I was pretty lucky that I went through several small schools before high school. The food was decently healthy. My diet in high school SUCKED though. There was a decent selection of healthy food to choose from, but it was a lot cheaper and more convenient to eat the stuff that wasn't so good for you. And Most of the time I probably drank 3 or 4 20oz bottles of soda per day. I think in schools and in general there should be healthier options that are priced competitively with McD's etc.

The problem is that the fast food chains have so much buying power.

The toys I can understand.
Who the hell cares about clowns anymore?
Ppl usually find them creepy.

Criticize the company if you will (which I don't agree, but I think I can understand)
It's absurd to attack the mascot however.
If there was no ronaldmcdonald, they'd probably blame the golden arch logo.

mrflip69
04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Back to obesity though,
I have a hunch it's not just about calories.
Ppl have been eating high calorie foods forever, & it hasn't changed all that much.
Tbh - I think McD's food sizes are a bit on the measly side, considering the cost.

Bingo.

Food is probably getting better in terms of health. Agree on McD's sizes.. I miss the good ol' supersize days.

Parents are too soft on their kids and cave in to their demands.

What about the increasingly sedentary lifestyles as kids stay out of the playground to play nintendo or surf youtube? How is physical education these days? I remember sweating my ass off in the sun, and last I heard, PE was getting funds and hours cut.

Fuck people and their fat fucking mouths and fingers that have to ruin it for the rest of us.

Shit is like alcohol, tobacco, and guns. If you can't handle fast food, stay the hell away. Not every kid who bought a happy meal ended up as a fat fuck!

Edit: These are probably the same assholes blaming cookie monster for childhood obesity. What a load.