PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to swap your FD. Definition of Epic Fail.

exitspeed
03-30-2010, 09:09 AM
How NOT to swap your FD. 56k, no no!!! (http://www.v8rx7forum.com/showthread.php?59921-How-NOT-to-swap-your-FD-56k-no-no)!!!

Csomme
03-30-2010, 09:12 AM
That is a shop that is somewhat local to me. Top Dead Center. One of the drivers out around the Myrtle Beach area is sponsored by them.

Kinda makes you want to go and beat the shit out of some people. I'd really like to know if there is going to be a lawsuit.

fckillerbee
03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
that was rad....

hockeyrules
03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
wow I hope there is some kind of reimbursement..

S-Nation S13
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
holy crap i dont know what worst rb performance or that ...hm..

allntrlundrgrnd
03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
lol @ 2g "upgrade"

w0nderbr3ad
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
he got raped for those prices. All the pictures of the work TDC had done made my stomach hurt.

meteorite_flo
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
wow I hope there is some kind of reimbursement..

Read the last page of the thread.

But yeah, his car got raped big time.

charlie321
03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
I couldn't believe what I just saw. I'm glad it was taken to someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheesy Doriftos
03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
oh my gawd.

juan3023
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Wow that's all i have to say ___I cant belive that shop did this kind of work

Bubbles
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
This is what you get for putting LS into the holy of holys.

Is 14k the going rate? Even done right that seems like a lot.

GREXS14
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
bottom of the page is from the shop who did the original work.

carolina nissan bassicly took the side of tdc to keep them as a sponsor

Top Dead Center Vs. RX7 - Carolinanissans.com (http://www.carolinanissans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25362&st=25)

nathanong87
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
after shots saved the thread.

TDC's "custom" work looks like a bag of dicks

bones321
03-30-2010, 11:15 AM
and that place is still open??

CrimsonRockett
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
This definitely tops RB Performance.

Holy shit.

secondtonone317
03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
damm thread removed

exitspeed
03-30-2010, 12:14 PM
damm thread removed

Oh damn. That sucks. I don't think this will the last you'll hear of this. Seriously this work was epically terrible.

sickstatus
03-30-2010, 12:15 PM
yeee. its removed lolol

sirfallsalot243
03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Cliffnotes? I know you cant really get an idea of what happened without seeing the thread.. but im curious what everyone is freaking about. Ive seen this thread linked on like 3 other forums.

ManoNegra
03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
man, I only got two pages into it...
was saving it for my lunch break

exitspeed
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Cliffnotes? I know you cant really get an idea of what happened without seeing the thread.. but im curious what everyone is freaking about. Ive seen this thread linked on like 3 other forums.

Dude brings his FD to a place called Top Dead Center to have a swap done for $14k plus $2k to upgrade to an LS6. The work is BEYOND terrible. And he ends up just getting an LS1.

"A glittering jewel of colossal FAIL"!! RX7 swap gone wrong!! - LS1TECH (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1258986-glittering-jewel-colossal-fail-rx7-swap-gone-wrong.html)

Here's another thread with some pics.

DALAZ_68
03-30-2010, 01:21 PM

guy has rx7 fd
wants LS motor swap
pays pro shop 14k (12k +2k for ls6 upgrade)
gets car back running like utter shit (apperantly they still gave him an LS1 with LS6 covers?)
takes it to someone who knows what he's doing
found a ton of problems (no where near 14k worth of work)
hosting site apperantly took thread down since its a sponser (sp)

all i know

man, I only got two pages into it...
was saving it for my lunch break

same here...atleast i got to read the first page...what a jank site to pull shit like that only to keep money flowing...weres the member loyalty...then again, its not my money taken out of my pocket...sucks balls though

ILoveMyRHS13
03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Wow, I'm glad I read all of it before it was deleted.

Pretty terrible work. I will NEVER, EVER take my car to a shop. There are just too many horror stories. A local has an LS1'd 240 and it, too was done by a shop and was done terribly.

Teddy
03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

wh0aitznic0
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.v8rx7forum.com/sendmessage.php)

:(

rc1honda
03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Sucks the thread was removed. Why would they delete it.??? No cool seems like the are covering for the company. May TDC is one of thier forum sponsors.

The cliff note link has some incredibly scary pictures on it. I want to see the whole build/ thread. I mean the guys apologized for doing such a terrible job, and gave the guy his money back. But still, it's not like these guys just made a mistake. It's obvious this shop has no business doing any kind of meachanical work whatsoever.

exitspeed
03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
damm thread removed

Oh damn. That sucks. I don't think this will the last you'll hear of this. Seriously this work was epically terrible.

yeee. its removed lolol

Dude brings his FD to a place called Top Dead Center to have a swap done for $14k plus $2k to upgrade to an LS6. The work is BEYOND terrible. And he ends up just getting an LS1.

"A glittering jewel of colossal FAIL"!! RX7 swap gone wrong!! - LS1TECH (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1258986-glittering-jewel-colossal-fail-rx7-swap-gone-wrong.html)

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.v8rx7forum.com/sendmessage.php)

:(

Yes we already went through that process and then I posted a new link...

IIIXziuR
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

Teddy
03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.Maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

Or MAYBE it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

Hah. Didn't think of that one, did ya?

fckillerbee
03-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Or MAYBE it's a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

Hah. Didn't think of that one, did ya?

i was waiting for this teddy. lol

Ghost240
03-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Their response......

"Guys, just so you know, this is Hubert. I'm the tuner and I've been using this screen name ever since we first started posting setups here. Before that, it was Chris, the owner. Keep in mind the forum was locked back then and I couldn't register under my widely used username of "Spent". Just wanted you to be aware of that and nothing else. Below is our official statement.

There is absolutely no defending this situation or anything relating to it. There are points to be made on our end but it’s too late, the damage has been done and we are ready to move past this. Yes, it’s regrettable. Yes, it could have been handled differently and it should have. We can all agree on that.

For the record, this particular project dates back over a year now. The issue was addressed and handled with the customer before. We are transparent in what we do and have no problem standing up to our end of the bargain. The customer was appropriately refunded as he rightfully should have been. For all intended purposes, we (including the customer) considered this issue closed and still do. This issue being paraded online for any purpose after the fact a resolution was reached is sadly regrettable.

Speaking more in general terms, some of you guys have been following our work online or at our shop and know what we are perfectly capable of. Every business at one point or another screws something up majorly beyond the norm and we, along with every other business are not immune to that. Sometimes you hear about a business mishap on the forums, media, etc., and often you don’t for whatever reason. Sometimes businesses address their issues with their customer(s) and sometimes they flat out disingenuously don’t. If judging us negatively on our downfall despite our otherwise proven track record and how we resolved this issue with the customer before this was paraded online seems just and fair, then by all means do judge us accordingly. As stated earlier, we hold ourselves accountable and will not walk away from our responsibility. At the end when it’s all said and done, as a business, we learned, made amends and moved forward since. Rightfully so, this will be officially the last time this issue is publicly addressed by us regardless of statements or comments made by anyone other than the owner of the car.

We don’t believe anything should be given to us or that we deserve any credit or mercy. What we can say is that we will continue to put out and present quality work and let such work continue to speak for our skills, ability and judgment in the hopes of regaining lost trust, reputation and momentum.

With humility and respect,

Top Dead Center"

I love how the owner never chimed in.

I LUV MY S13
03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
bad link...anyone else havin this issue?

Teddy
03-30-2010, 02:09 PM
bad link...anyone else havin this issue?

Nope. I think you're the only one.

tricky_ab
03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Kinda makes you want to go and beat the shit out of some people. I'd really like to know if there is going to be a lawsuit.

I don't usually get mad but god damn! I would hope to god that this guy takes legal action on that shop...

franklin93zx
03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
hahah teddy is on fire right now

I LUV MY S13
03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
i googled it and there are TONS of forums with the same thread, i cant get into any of em...

"invalid thread specified. if you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

sncs14
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
bottom of the page is from the shop who did the original work.

carolina nissan bassicly took the side of tdc to keep them as a sponsor

Top Dead Center Vs. RX7 - Carolinanissans.com (http://www.carolinanissans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25362&st=25)

You need to know all the facts before posting false information. Carolina Nissans has no sponsors. The site is paid for by the owner and through member fees/donations only.

tricky_ab
03-30-2010, 02:28 PM
i googled it and there are TONS of forums with the same thread, i cant get into any of em...

"invalid thread specified. if you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

I guess you missed this...

I LUV MY S13
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
no i saw that, but its a teaser

Matej
03-30-2010, 02:46 PM
The worst thing are the headlights.

Teddy
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
The worst thing is the whole car.

DALAZ_68
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Nope. I think you're the only one.

hahah teddy is on fire right now

yup... he's flaming alright...lol

seriously though,that letter is just utter bullshit...its true, companies go through bad scenarios...the way they are handling it though is mornonic...let the review stand...if you honestly stand by your now btter ways let your current work show it, dont hide the past...

thats why i like THIS forum, wether its a member or sponsor, we get to see the good or bad, in the end we make the desicion, and the outcome is our fault and no one elses, no reason to blame others who knew or a site that mislead with only + feed...

Teddy
03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree that if I lived nearby that shop, I would NEVER go there, even after they've posted that letter. I wouldn't risk getting the same experience with my own car. Period.

Sorry TDC. You had your chance.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
03-30-2010, 03:23 PM
my personal car fixing mantra: i'd rather break something trying to fix it myself than pay a shop to break it for me.

i have bad luck with shops, so i feel that dude's pain. however, it maybe a sign that you shouldn't put a V8 in an RX7.

S14DB
03-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Their response......

"Guys, just so you know, this is Hubert. I'm the tuner and I've been using this screen name ever since we first started posting setups here. Before that, it was Chris, the owner. Keep in mind the forum was locked back then and I couldn't register under my widely used username of "Spent". Just wanted you to be aware of that and nothing else. Below is our official statement.

There is absolutely no defending this situation or anything relating to it. There are points to be made on our end but it’s too late, the damage has been done and we are ready to move past this. Yes, it’s regrettable. Yes, it could have been handled differently and it should have. We can all agree on that.

For the record, this particular project dates back over a year now. The issue was addressed and handled with the customer before. We are transparent in what we do and have no problem standing up to our end of the bargain. The customer was appropriately refunded as he rightfully should have been. For all intended purposes, we (including the customer) considered this issue closed and still do. This issue being paraded online for any purpose after the fact a resolution was reached is sadly regrettable.

Speaking more in general terms, some of you guys have been following our work online or at our shop and know what we are perfectly capable of. Every business at one point or another screws something up majorly beyond the norm and we, along with every other business are not immune to that. Sometimes you hear about a business mishap on the forums, media, etc., and often you don’t for whatever reason. Sometimes businesses address their issues with their customer(s) and sometimes they flat out disingenuously don’t. If judging us negatively on our downfall despite our otherwise proven track record and how we resolved this issue with the customer before this was paraded online seems just and fair, then by all means do judge us accordingly. As stated earlier, we hold ourselves accountable and will not walk away from our responsibility. At the end when it’s all said and done, as a business, we learned, made amends and moved forward since. Rightfully so, this will be officially the last time this issue is publicly addressed by us regardless of statements or comments made by anyone other than the owner of the car.

We don’t believe anything should be given to us or that we deserve any credit or mercy. What we can say is that we will continue to put out and present quality work and let such work continue to speak for our skills, ability and judgment in the hopes of regaining lost trust, reputation and momentum.

With humility and respect,

Top Dead Center"

I love how the owner never chimed in.
Cliffs:
We found what we thought was a sucker and skimmed $14k+ him.
Hacked together a swap to cut costs and time. Below even our standards.
He got wise and called us on it. We had to reimburse him.

I hate shops that do this shit. Put out quality work to their "friends" or people that they think are mechanically inclined to what is going on. Then fleece people that come in that aren't.

Every business at one point or another screws something up majorly beyond the norm and we, along with every other business are not immune to that.I find this statement the most insulting to other businesses.

Bubbles
03-30-2010, 07:13 PM

No, he definitely is a sucker.

I may have less mechanical knowledge than anybody on here and I understood 90% of what that one guy pointed out.

If it acted like shit, surely you'd pop the hood, take a closer look and catch at least half of that stuff yourself.

I wouldn't have to take it to someone to realize those guys had no clue what they were doing.

GREXS14
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
You need to know all the facts before posting false information. Carolina Nissans has no sponsors. The site is paid for by the owner and through member fees/donations only.

woops misread this part

From co-owner of CH.com and INC (both now TDC sponsored):
I just got off the phone w/ Chris, the owner of TDC. Chris, Roger, & I have a long standing relationship. I've been traveling since Wednesday, March 24, 2010 to all the current sponsor shops on INC & the ones on CH to give them an update of what's going on w/ both sites. TDC is one of the shops that we will bring to INC due to their reputation. I have seen a lot of work that has come out of TDC & I just discussed each picture from the first post w/ Chris to get a full perspective.

As of this moment, Chris is not going to post about the situation. His shop is taking a beating from all over the Internet & it's in his best interest to let this cool down while he prepares a proper response. Roger & I stand behind Top Dead Center, but we also need to let the members know about situations. We are stuck between a rock & a hard place; Chris as a long term commitment & the commitment we have to the members of this forum.

This actually comes at a good time. The reason is, we are about to make the rules/policies concerning sponsors that we allow on INC & the guidelines. This post will be a good example to help us outline those policies.

The fact that Top Dead Center is not coming onto the Internet arguing, cussing, fueling this fire, etc is excellent. We want sponsors that keep a level head & that is the situation w/ Chris.

I am going to lock this thread. Nothing else needs to be said here & we will await Top Dead Center's response.

Thank you,

Pete

it will be ok.

spooled240
03-31-2010, 12:31 AM
this would never have happened if they just stuck with the rotary

yota man
03-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Just fyi he was only refunded the 2k that was supposed to be for the Ls6 instead of the ls1.

So far he's also spent 2.5k fixing some of the things wrong.

Souljahzs13
03-31-2010, 01:48 AM
I still can not believe that TDC would let that kind of quality of work roll out of their shop. I've 10k on a LS1 swap that was showroom worthy

fliprayzin240sx
03-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Cliffs:
Hacked together a swap to cut costs and time. Below even our standards.
He got wise and called us on it. We had to reimburse him.

I hate shops that do this shit. Put out quality work to their "friends" or people that they think are mechanically inclined to what is going on. Then fleece people that come in that aren't.

I find this statement the most insulting to other businesses.

I agree 100%...dropping a ball is maybe something that could have been overlooked. Accidentally switching fuel lines, forgetting to tighten a clamp or plugging something in...not with the quality of work they did on that car. Seriously, you charged a guy $14k and you cant get some straight pipes to redo the exhaust? Why the fuck would you even attempt to salvage that if thats what they were attempting to do. You dont salvage 1 foot sections and weld them together to make an exhaust. That right there is what screams fucking bullshit over the whole thing.

But also, I'm curious to see what the FD's owner has to say.

DALAZ_68
03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Fuck the FD owner...i rather hear what the guy who fixed the car has to say...since he had to pretty much recheck the whole swap...

atutt
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
I dunno what you guys are talking about but that's some top notch welding.. Even better than mine... :P

dato
03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
ARE THEY LEARNING HOW TO WELD LOL
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x272/eat-pez/TDC/IMG00234.jpg

GREXS14
03-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Considering the cost and the total work done that would make that about a 1,000$ weld!

Brokenspacebar
04-04-2010, 09:51 PM
WAHAHAHA holy$hit!!! Where was he while they were working on it? I would've been there watching as much as I could!