View Full Version : steering problem. URGENT!!!!!

ajbrain
03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
hi guys. i have a problem of steering plz help me out. in general speaking, when we make a turn, the steering wheel should turn back to the center smoothly and quickly by itself after turning. fortunately, my steering wheel would turn back. but not smoothly and not quickly. what is the problem? tire pressure has no problem. MY CAR IS 89 240SX AND HAS PS. i need to solve this problem before next week cuz ill go drifting at that time. so it is URGENT. thank you guys!

markapple0507
03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
well usually we dial in more caster for it to do that but if was good one second then bad the other then maybe there's binding somewhere. more info? aftermarket tierods, links, etc.

Mister.E
03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
when my toe alignment on the front wheels was fucked up the wheel wouldnt go back by itself.

did this just randomly happen or did you change out parts or what?

ajbrain
03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
hi guys. i have a problem of steering plz help me out. in general speaking, when we make a turn, the steering wheel should turn back to the center smoothly and quickly by itself after turning. fortunately, my steering wheel would turn back. but not smoothly and not quickly. what is the problem? tire pressure has no problem. MY CAR HAS PS. i need to solve this problem before next week cuz ill go drifting at that time. so it is URGENT. thank you guys!

addition:
KYB strut and tein spring. other than that is stock.

ajbrain
03-22-2010, 11:54 PM
when my toe alignment on the front wheels was fucked up the wheel wouldnt go back by itself.

did this just randomly happen or did you change out parts or what?

it would turn back by itself but slowly and repeats turning find one second then stuck one second. i need to turn it manually. it happens all the time.

keistyle
03-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Is anything bent?

Maybe your steering rack got damaged?

Sounds like your getting poor wheel feedback.

slider2828
03-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Check your powersteering fluid.... Did you hit anything? Check your rack to see if its still tight... Did you adjust anything....

ajbrain
03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Is anything bent?

Maybe your steering rack got damaged?

Sounds like your getting poor wheel feedback.

yes!!! actually i got poor wheel feedback. it affect drifting badly. i really need to fix it before next week.

ajbrain
03-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Check your powersteering fluid.... Did you hit anything? Check your rack to see if its still tight... Did you adjust anything....

no, i didnt adjust nothing. one time i hit i a big dip on the street. will it be the matter?

Slammed Assassin
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM
im not sure if it matters but when was the last time you changed your fluid?

and your using atf rite?

ajbrain
03-23-2010, 12:50 AM
im not sure if it matters but when was the last time you changed your fluid?

and your using atf rite?

its leaking when i bought it 4 months ago. i cut the hose where it leaked and reconnected it. a lot of fluid went out during that time. so i filled it up with stop leaking fluid. it should not be the problem of the fluid.

Xplat
03-23-2010, 06:32 AM
First of all you're not giving us enough info. Did this happen immediately after you installed your spring/struts? If so, check your installation.

Normally, the only thing that affects steering wheel return is positive caster. Either you don't have enough or the left and right are mismatched. Toe *may* play a smaller role, but not as big as caster.

Check your alignment. Easy ghetto way to check caster for any major flaws is to eyeball/measure the location of your tires in the wheel well. Make sure the wheels on both sides are equal in distance.

If there is a mismatch and your tension rods are stock then the caster problem can be a few things. Either you have some front cross-member/frame damage causing the slight pull, damaged lower control arm, or you screwed something up when installing your struts/springs. The place you would be checking is the top of the strut and just underneath.

ajbrain
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
First of all you're not giving us enough info. Did this happen immediately after you installed your spring/struts? If so, check your installation.

Normally, the only thing that affects steering wheel return is positive caster. Either you don't have enough or the left and right are mismatched. Toe *may* play a smaller role, but not as big as caster.

Check your alignment. Easy ghetto way to check caster for any major flaws is to eyeball/measure the location of your tires in the wheel well. Make sure the wheels on both sides are equal in distance.

If there is a mismatch and your tension rods are stock then the caster problem can be a few things. Either you have some front cross-member/frame damage causing the slight pull, damaged lower control arm, or you screwed something up when installing your struts/springs. The place you would be checking is the top of the strut and just underneath.

thanks a lot! ill check. i bought this car with the strut/spring on it, so i dont know about the installation.