PDA

View Full Version : BOV Question

dbenavides
03-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Should your BOV be sucking in air at idle? Is this normal or is my BOV leaking? At the moment my car starts idles for 2 seconds and dies out. After checking all the intercooler piping the only air leak I have found is at the BOV. When I cover the opening with my hand the car stays idling but runs a bit rough since I'm sure my hand is not sufficient enough to completely seal the hole. I have removed my Blitz BOV and clean it out but no luck. It's still sucking in air at Idle. Does anyone know if my BOV is bad?

Mister.E
03-17-2010, 07:25 AM
the real question is....should your BOV ever be sucking air IN? no

do you have the vacuum line running to the BOV hooked up correctly? like is it somehow magically holding the BOV in the open position? i would assume if you have cleaned it then it wouldnt be "sticking" open.

im really not sure what to say here man

dbenavides
03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
I have the vacuum line line running directly to my aftermaket intake manifold. I originally had the line T'ed at the FPR and the throttle body. I have tried to adjust the screw but it doesn't help. When I opened the BOV there where only four components a piston, spring, spring retainer washer, & piston retainer ring.

I have removed the BOV and tried closing the hole with my hand and the car stays on but idles a bit rough.

Mister.E
03-17-2010, 07:37 AM
are any of your couplers split?

dbenavides
03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
NO couplers split. The intercooler, piping, and couplers are all new.

SoSideways
03-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Is it an older Blitz unit?

Cause those are prone to leakage... but at part throttle.

I vote something else isn't quite right with your motor, not just your BOV...

Mister.E
03-17-2010, 08:03 AM
any of your vacuum lines cracked or split?

dbenavides
03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Yes my BOV unit is an older model. I have completely checked over everything. I will recheck my vacuum lines today. Just about everything is new on my motor. The motor was running fine but has been sitting for 8 months.

Z33dori
03-17-2010, 09:59 AM
its very possible for old blow off valves to pull open from the vacuum at idle. The spring is just to worn out... I had this problem with my old HKS (horn one) at idle the vaccum was strong enough to pull it open, i switch to a SSQV and the problem went away.

U can replace the spring if u can find one of similar size. , but try and find one of similar strength (as when new). Or you can just replace your bov

dbenavides
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Z33dori,
That is a good point. The BOV is i'm sure at least 7 years old. I will order a new spring and try that out. That's cheaper then buying a new one!

Z33dori
03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
yea..... at that rate you would be better off with a eby bov one... lol

glw-search !

dbenavides
03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I just went ahead and ordered a new Blitz BOV. After thinking for a few moments I releazed that the BOV piston could be shot and is leaking due to wear.

Z33dori
03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
yea that too......

g6civcx
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
While you wait for the new BOV, you can seal the BOV flange and try running with no BOV and see if the idle gets any better.

If not then you can start looking at the MAF.

If the BOV were recirculated it would be less noticeable than a VTA setup. At worst you'll get unstable boost pressure, but the idle quality won't be as bad.