PDA

View Full Version : Modification laws

KOUKI KA-T
06-20-2003, 01:20 PM
So last year Maine imposed very strict laws to modifying cars, basically that it was not allowed period. It got so out of hand that 3 people got pulled over for exhaust, and they were stock systems!! (civic si and 2 RSX's) Only stock parts were allowed, even light bulbs. So over the last year we have gotten signatures and attended numerous meetings with the state and courts, well it took a year but we got some of the laws changed, which is now in affect and in writing. (i can provide a link to any Mainers interested) Anyways, here's a couple things that made me laugh. We went from not being allowed to lower a car at all, to the car's chassis can be no lower than the wheel line. In other words a car that has a 40 series tire on it can be that low to the ground. How does that even make sense?? So basically the smaller sidewall tire you run the lower your car can be. And no i didn't misunderstand, we had it clarified. We didn't object, since this means you can have your car at any height you want, but what was the whole point of impounding all the cars they did for being too low then put that kind of retarded limit on it. That height is chassis as well, doesn't even figure in bodykits. Also now any exhaust that is 95 db and under is legal, you have to get a sticker which is 20$ and stations with meters will be available soon. That one makes sense, I just had to share the one about lowering because it's ridiculous.

Oh and aftermarket fog lights and bulbs of any sort still illegal, but who cares about that...

KOUKI KA-T
06-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Here's the link, enjoy....
Maine state lowering laws (http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/billtexts/ld081801-1.asp)

hookedup240
06-20-2003, 10:28 PM
damn you got it tough. I never get bothered for anything. Even though some is illegal.

KOUKI KA-T
06-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Yeah there huge d!cks about it out here. Ever since the first crappy TFATF came out and all the 16 year olds started racing there neon's and shadow's up and down main street. Plus the polie have nothing better to do really. Portland they don't hassle you but every other town is terrible, I got pulled over 3 times in 20 minutes in my Integra for the exhaust. It was ridiculous. They also impounded some cars for 2 months because of being too low, there was one guy for the state who handled the issue and when they impounded your car it would take up to 2 or three months until he could get time to inspect it and cite you for everything done to it. Maine sucks for fixing up cars, but it should get better now with these new laws, not as strict but similar to those in Cali.

Maeda
06-22-2003, 02:28 AM
Dont even get me started...

(Look at the location)

KOUKI KA-T
06-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Yeah i know man, at the last court meeting they decided to adopt the same laws and restrictions as Cali. Except of course for this new lowering law..