PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect to pay for S13 -> S14 5Lug hubs/spindles/knuckles

rcviper
06-15-2003, 06:47 PM
I find plenty of threads telling me which parts are needed to do the 5 lug swap on my 240, but not many threads with detailed pricing. I have a guy that has most of the stuff I'll need but I'm not sure what kind of price to ask for this stuff. How much would I expect to pay for:

S14 front hubs, knuckles, and ball joints
S14 rear hubs

Please correct me if you know I will be missing some parts for the swap, I'm doing the 300zx front brake upgrade as well.

Will all of this stuff clear stock rear brakes when I buy my 9.5 inch rear wheels with +35 offset? Or do I need to go down to the 8.5 inch rear wheels wiht +35 offset because the wheels I want don't come in just 9 inch. I know it is a lot of questions but I really appreciate any help you can give.

TheSparo
06-15-2003, 08:57 PM
damn i cant remember what the actual price was... but this will tell you
here (www.zilvia.net/f/search.php?s=) :D

BTW: this link will tell you everything about anything 240 related amazingly

method2833
06-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by TheSparo

:rolleyes: anyways i tried that whole search thing wasnt happenig but if you can find out info on those prices let me know

rcviper
06-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by TheSparo

:rolleyes: If you read my post it says that I have been checking the search function but came up with plenty of posts on what I need but not the expected pricing to pay for this stuff used. I've been surfing boards for years and years now, I may be new to this forum but I don't post things that have been asked 900 times, because I search the forums beforehand. Thanks though.

the head
06-16-2003, 08:42 AM
get in touch with Nissan if you need new parts
the custom hubs at Jspec are 450 and then you don't need all of the other parts
call salvage yards in your area to find prices on knuckles and hubs as prices will be different everywhere ball joints i just ordered for 35.85 each and that was the best price i could find

sykikchimp
06-16-2003, 09:37 AM
300-500 for the swap with used parts. usually doesn't include the s14 ball joints for the front control arms.

I bought GTO hubs from Jspec - 450
and 2 300zx na rear hubs from junkyard - $100
you could just buy 2 new s14 rotors all around - (nopi) - $120
total - $570

Dousan_PG
06-16-2003, 09:42 AM
yeah! good move sykikchimp! i got those hubs sitting in myr oom for the past month haha
good move!!!! :)

cant wait to see the wheels on your car! :)

sykikchimp
06-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
yeah! good move sykikchimp! i got those hubs sitting in myr oom for the past month haha
good move!!!! :)

cant wait to see the wheels on your car! :)

Me either.. arrgg.. too many projects at once.

FRpilot
06-16-2003, 04:15 PM
all s13 components should work with s14/z32 knuckles right? with the exception of rear shocks w/ the z32 knuckle/upright since they use fork style. but how bout t/c rods, rear traction toerods, etc..

Dousan_PG
06-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by FRpilot
all s13 components should work with s14/z32 knuckles right? with the exception of rear shocks w/ the z32 knuckle/upright since they use fork style. but how bout t/c rods, rear traction toerods, etc..

there are no t/c rods in the rear....what are you talking about?

using z32 uprights, you use the s13/s14 (depending on your car model) suspension parts. fit perfectly fine.

method2833
06-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by the head
the custom hubs at Jspec are 450 and then you don't need all of the other parts is the hub strong enough to withstand drifting ?

sykikchimp
06-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by method2833
is the hub strong enough to withstand drifting ?

yes. Very sturdy. Probably stronger than the OEM peice.

Dousan_PG
06-17-2003, 09:56 AM
is the hub strong enough to withstand drifting ?

its very common for s13s in japan to use these hubs. they are very popular. i have them too, i drift..they are going onto my car shortly..waiting for the brake pads and all that good stuff :)

masta
06-17-2003, 10:46 AM
is the hub strong enough to withstand drifting ? Not to stop Jspec from getting some business, but do not forget that they (http://www.jspec.com/4to5lughub.html) are $450 A PAIR! So that is <$900 for a full conversion. Unless I am reading it wrong.

Dousan_PG
06-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by masta
Not to stop Jspec from getting some business, but do not forget that they (http://www.jspec.com/4to5lughub.html) are $450 A PAIR! So that is <$900 for a full conversion. Unless I am reading it wrong.

yes that is CORRECT
its not cheap...i guess
i cant say
but i think its worth.
for me i will probably sell my coilovers or a friend (more likely) will be using mine when i upgrade. i dontw atn to redrill my coilover to fit the s14 busienss. also i want aftermarket FLCA, dont want to worry about ball joint business

for the average joe, go w/ the s14 fronts

for someone who's going balls out and changing A LOT of stuff, i'd get the type Jspec sells. the 5 lug front hubs.

its all about $$ and what you want to do with your car.

rcviper
06-17-2003, 05:10 PM
:hammer: The more I get responses, the more I don't understand wtf I need, lol.

So if I don't want to buy these hubs from JSpec right now I can go out and buy:

S14 front hubs, front ball joints, knuckles, and do I need front control arms as well?

And for the rear I just need to buy some rear hubs off of a NA Z32?:bash:

I spend all my time learning the components of the motor like the back of my hand but never spent really any time with the suspension game yet. Guess I have a lot more to learn. :cry:

Thanks for the good info so far though guys!

JD4
06-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp
300-500 for the swap with used parts. usually doesn't include the s14 ball joints for the front control arms.

I bought GTO hubs from Jspec - 450
and 2 300zx na rear hubs from junkyard - $100
you could just buy 2 new s14 rotors all around - (nopi) - $120
total - $570

I've heard that these GTO hubs have the ABS sensor ring for abs equipped s13's. Can any of you guys with them take a couple of pics of the back side of the hubs for me?

sykikchimp
06-18-2003, 09:18 AM
They do not have the ABS sensor ring on the ones I bought.
I will try to get pics of them this afternoon.

Also, I don't believe anyone makes aftermarket hubs for the REAR of the s13 b/c you can use either S14 5-lug rear hubs, OR Z32 NA rear hubs as a direct bolt on. I chose Z32 hubs b/c I plan to upgrade to the 300zx Aluminum uprights, and rear brakes one of these days.

You get the front Aftermarket hubs b/c if you don't, you have to get

S14 Knuckles
S14 Spindles
S14 5-lug hubs
s14 Strut Mounting bolts (larger than s13)
S14 Ball joint
S14 Rotors (you'll need these either way, unless you go 300zx brakes.)

Thne you have to get your new ball joint pressed into your s13 Control arms, and drill out the strut mounting bolt holes to accomodate the larger bolts.

Bolt everything up and your ready to go.

Dousan_PG
06-18-2003, 09:22 AM
sykikchimp
your going to sh!t a brick now
i saw the new attain hubs
its 4 AND 5 lug aftermarket
its drilled for 4 and 5
the studs you get have a opening at top for allen wrench so you can move them to a 4 lug or a 5 lgu pattern

when i saw that, i look at the gto ones...damn :( that's perfect for the track if you need to borrow someone's wheels OR your a wheel whore like me who love many 4 and many 5 lug wheels

damn, i want those attain ones now!!
i will scan itup later

yeah aftermarket is easier. that's why i did it.

mrmephistopheles
06-18-2003, 09:49 AM
how much are those Attain hubs, Aaron?

Dousan_PG
06-18-2003, 09:59 AM
oh, it is available in front AND rear!

they retail at...i THINK it is 39,800 front (335 USD), 63,000 rear (531 USD), studs are 16,000 for a set???? (135 USD) dont know if included w/ the hubs..

but im not 100% sure..ill scan it up tonight...if i have a chance, pretty crazy night.

this is from the june 03 drift tengoku, page 136/7

front: (R)(P)s13, C33, A31
rear: (R)(P)s13, s14, s15, c33, a31, hcr32

article also says "KSP" so they might sell it/manufacture it..i dont know....no clue
just super cool!!

sykikchimp
06-18-2003, 10:31 AM
that is cool as ****..

I wonder why the rears are more $$ than the fronts?

fiebru1119
06-18-2003, 10:34 AM

Also, I don't believe anyone makes aftermarket hubs for the REAR of the s13 b/c you can use either S14 5-lug rear hubs, OR Z32 NA rear hubs as a direct bolt on. I chose Z32 hubs b/c I plan to upgrade to the 300zx Aluminum uprights, and rear brakes one of these days.

S14 Knuckles
S14 Spindles
S14 5-lug hubs
S14 Ball joint

Thne you have to get your new ball joint pressed into your s13 Control arms, and drill out the strut mounting bolt holes to accomodate the larger bolts.

so with the jspec s13 aftermarket hubs you dont need all the s14 parts you listed?

sykikchimp
06-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by fiebru1119
so with the jspec s13 aftermarket hubs you dont need all the s14 parts you listed?

correct.

rcviper
06-18-2003, 04:40 PM

S14 Knuckles
S14 Spindles
S14 5-lug hubs
S14 Ball joint

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bow:
That is what I'm talking about there man, straight to the point, this is what I've been looking for for ages now. Someone put this in the FAQ because it lists prices an a lot of information about the hub adaptors that isn't in any other of the lug conversion threads, thanks guys!

mixxamike
06-18-2003, 11:03 PM
With the aftermarket s13 front hubs, what rotors and callipers fit...z32 NA?, turbo? If not, which ones?

And about the rear hubs, tell me if i'm wrong, but it is possible to just bolt on the z32 rear hubs and then the z32 NA or turbo rear rotors and brakes. Or do i need aftermarket rotors and callipers as well?

One more...is the only purpose for swapping in the z32 allminum uprights just for weight savings or are there more bennefits?

Thanks!

mrmephistopheles
06-19-2003, 12:04 AM

S14 Knuckles
S14 Spindles
S14 5-lug hubs

:spank: Chimp

BAD CHIMP BAD CHIMP!

Knuckle=spindle!
and the hub is already ON the damn thing!

should be
S14 SE Front spindle
S14 SE or Z32 rear hub

Get it right or pay the price! :D

sykikchimp
06-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Doh.. ok.. well, the Hub, and Knuckle/spindle are 2 seperate peices.

check out the attachments. Parts necessary are in red for reference.

sykikchimp
06-19-2003, 09:25 AM
and another one just for a little icing.

sykikchimp
06-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by mixxamike
With the aftermarket s13 front hubs, what rotors and callipers fit...z32 NA?, turbo? If not, which ones?

You can use your Stock S13 calipers with s14 5-lug rotors. If you choose too, you can upgrade to 300zx rotors, with 300zx calipers.
Check here for all the different 300zx calipers:
http://www.princeton.edu/~asad/zbrakes/

And about the rear hubs, tell me if i'm wrong, but it is possible to just bolt on the z32 rear hubs and then the z32 NA or turbo rear rotors and brakes. Or do i need aftermarket rotors and callipers as well?

No just getting the hubs does not allow you to get rear 300zx brakes. There are quite a few other parts necessary.

No you don't need any aftermarket rotors or calipers. Unless you install some other calipers you will need to use S14 5-lug rotors with your stock s13 calipers.

This is really a different discussion all together.

One more...is the only purpose for swapping in the z32 allminum uprights just for weight savings or are there more bennefits?

Thanks!

Yes. The weight savings is the number one reason. Remember, every 1 pund saved of unsprung weight is equal to 8 punds of sprung weight. Removing unsprung weight helps every part of your suspension work better.

mrmephistopheles
06-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Doh.. ok.. well, the Hub, and Knuckle/spindle are 2 seperate peices.

Yeah yeah yeah, but when you get them from a junkyard, they're always attached!

:D :D