PDA

View Full Version : Smog Checkpoint (03.09.10)

Brian
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
In Lakewood.

South Street (going west) Between Clark and Lakewood.

Police officer standing in the street picking out certain vehicles to participate with the "Survey Crew".

They hook a machine up to the exhaust pipe.

AVOID THE AREA TODAY

03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
thanks man. I've been worried cause they also post up on lakewood blvd before del amo if you're going north.

sickstatus
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
we had a few of those in oxnard. it was by my house.

i wanted to avoid it so i drove all the way around get go home the backway. it was a hassle bkuz it was causing traffic.

fckillerbee
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
In Lakewood.

South Street (going west) Between Clark and Lakewood.

Police officer standing in the street picking out certain vehicles to participate with the "Survey Crew".

They hook a machine up to the exhaust pipe.

AVOID THE AREA TODAY

See this is what confuses me....we pay for smog....we get smog done...and now they want to randomly smog our cars...as if passing smog in the first place wasn't a hassle. Our taxpaying money trying to rob the people already. Maybe they should just pull over random POS cars and check to see if they have insurance... or better yet...all the orange sellers on the major streets...check to see a valid social....I mean...wtf...when does this end.

slider2828
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree with you, I don't understand the logic behind what they are trying to do here....

I mean you can't get a new reg sticker without smogging.... And from people who actually run the smog machines get complaints from customers to the BAR that bla bla bla smog tech didn't pass my car bla bla bla.... I heard this from a smogger. Its retarded.....

fckillerbee
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I can't imagine that this isn't breaking any laws....what about private property, and our rights? Our cars were "legally smogged" already, can't they not pull us over for some sort of violation of privacy rights? I know "random" is where this is more legal...but seriously....I don't have time in my day to see if my car passes smog...when that shit was done last year.

Brian
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, it sucks, but that state needs money. They are going to get it any way they can.

What was funny is that this morning when I started driving to work, I was thinking it would suck to get pulled over at a smog checkpoint today since I was running late already.

Nice. I saw the long ass line of cars and pulled onto the side street where the houses are and avoided the whole thing.

charlie321
03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I luckily went straight through one a few weeks ago because they had too many pulled over. Got so lucky, such bullshit though, I'm glad I have a daily now.

Brian
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
It may be bullshit, but in theory, if you are a good citizen, you should have nothing to worry about..... IN THEORY.

*with that being said, I'd still worry with my stock daily car.

keiglo
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
In theory, Communism is a great form of government.

but really. i've never come across one of these, do they give you a note or letter if it makes you late to work or something? i have to imagine they would do something. And do they have tow trucks waiting to take cars right from there?

Brian
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I have HEARD (don't know if it's true) that these things are supposed to be "optional".... as in, you don't HAVE to do it if you don't want to.... but I don't know how much truth there is in this.

They don't have tow trucks.

Today it was a police car, policeman, EX up tent, test equipment and a guy doing the testing.
I have seen full on dyno style test machines before.

keiglo
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
i wonder how that works. you would think that if you say "no, i dont want to participate in this test" that they would believe you're hiding something. probably come up with some reason to make you do it eventually, i dunno. anyone have experience with it?

Brian
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Yep, I would think the same thing.

haven't done one, don't know. Don't know anybody who has done one, so don't know about that either.

VROOOM
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
at lunch im gonna go drive through it. lol see what its all about.

Brian
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
haha, perfect. Please make a photo flipbook of it.

keiglo
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
haha, perfect. Please make a photo flipbook of it.

this! or... tape everything from a camera hidden in a bag, or the camera on your phone!

Best of luck to you!

VROOOM
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
my car is stock, so they can't really do much. just wanna see what they do.

driftn_silvia
03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I have seen full on dyno style test machines before.

Yea, i have seen that also before but a few years back like '05.

i thought it was sooo odd b/c it was on a somewhat commuting street
in Ventura, going to the JC. Luckly it seem they were done with the whole sting b/c i was driving an sr'd s13.

VROOOM
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
do they put your car on a dyno?? if so, my car is awd, how would they do that?

Brian
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
The one today on South just had a probe that they hook onto your muffler.

I don't know about the AWD dyno, but I THINK I have seen a huge portable 4 wheel dyno guy on Clark one time (by LBCC).

driftn_silvia
03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
when i saw that, they were packing up, but they had some sort of Toyota on the machine being tested.

and i havnt seen something like that since around here in the 805.