PDA

View Full Version : Radar License

Japan88
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
So i was just at Round Table and im sitting there listening to my friend talk about how he got pulled over by a motorcycle cop for speeding and how the cop came up the window and asked him for his license and registration. After the cop was done talking my friend said that he wasnt gonna show him anything untill he showed my friend for his radar license??? and then the cop said that he didnt have one and how did my friend know that he needed a license... loong story short.. the cop didnt give my friend a ticket because the cop didnt renew or have a radar license... I never knew that they had to have one??
does any1 have information on this or know if cops need licenses for using a radar gun or they have to renew it?

thanks

ZilviaKid
03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
whuttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Weedm
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
this is unheard of to me. what a cool way to get out of a ticket.

1ZlowZ
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
thats? wtf thats wierd

david200095367
03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Police do not need an FCC license to operate traffic radar (if their radios are licensed); however other state, local, or agency requirements may apply.

source: The Courtroom (Police Traffic Radar Handbook) (http://www.copradar.com/preview/chapt7/ch7d2.html)

eli_eli
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I didnt know they had to renew it, but probably due to regulations...but i do know that motorcycle cop can give you a speeding ticket without a radar, just based on his judgment of how fast you are going, they take special training to be able to do this, like look at two different poles on the road and base it on how fast you got from one to other and the distance they are from you...so ya, they need to be qualified to do this and hence why they need to renew these types of licences...even if its just radar

murderrsirenss
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
weeeeeiiird.

my luck i'd try this and end up in jail for something retarded..again.

tanks13
03-08-2010, 06:30 PM
weeeeeiiird.

my luck i'd try this and end up in jail for something retarded..again.

same here theyll find some thing to take me in for

awesomenick
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Caaaaaliiiiiffoooooornia.

Lots of us don't live there.

lucky7
03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
afaik, i dont think they have radars on their bikes. :)

blasting_speed
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Exactly what i was thinking.

I don't speed worth a fuck, but if i get caught trying to make it home to take a shit, i'm going to try this. Even if its years from now. I'm going to revive this thread with my story. lol

XnTroubleX
03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Here in shreveport,Louisiana, each officer has to be radar certified,,Very few police cars here actually have radars. For the officer on the bike to not have his cerrtified it kinda weird because cycle officers are part of the traffic department. 99% of their job is to monitor taffic violations. Many of the officers without a radar certification will pull you over with the* general speeding violation* it is simply saying that the trained officer believes you were speeding and you are going to have one hell of a time fighting it. but that fine is much less that what the actual speeding ticket would have been!

Okinawandrifter87
03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Also alot of people dont know that in smaller towns the radars have to be calibrated quarterly.. if its not then case is dropped only bad thing about it is sometimes they have onsite technicians..just a little fyi

ryguy
03-08-2010, 11:20 PM

IDK about Cali, but whenever I drive from Chicago to Miami most of the cops with radar guns are on motorcycles.

Marc240
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
IDK about Cali, but whenever I drive from Chicago to Miami most of the cops with radar guns are on motorcycles.

Same here in Washington, most cops that do radar and traffic control are on motorcycles. Most likely cause there harder to spot and less visable to people driving. Also, the bags that are carried on the bike, hold a small printer inside so they can print off your ticket from the motorcycle.

Never heard of the radar license before, all I knew about was that they have to calibrate the radar guns a certain amount of times a year to be considered accurate.

DriftDoll
03-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Interesting, can't wait until someone backs this up with their own exp. Hopefully the cop won't get mad and try to pin you for something else (low, loud, etc) if his radar license isn't up to date.

Cali's got hella motorcycle cops with radar guns (at least in my area). One time i was driving to school after already passing 2 cop cars within 2 miles of leaving my place...heading towards a street where people usually speed/get caught speeding. Oh lucky day-not only was there one bike cop, there were two. One of the cops was training the other or something...parked bikes, on their feet shooting their radar guns at oncoming traffic, looking as if the radar guns were going to recoil hard or something lol. Yeah, that was one slow drive to school.

!Zar!
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Here is a novel concept, DON'T SPEED.

I mean really? You people are breaking the law and are trying to find loop holes and grey areas to get out of tickets?

Everybody has a, 'friend' or, 'knows somebody' that did some heinous act to get out of a ticket and succeed.

When in reality, most cops have their shit together. And even more so, most will be pussies and not try this shit because too much is at stake for when something goes wrong.

You have a better chance at getting out of a ticket by being calm and nice to a cop than trying to be a dick and act like you are Mr. Law.

Drift N Dragg
03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

ALL California Motorcycle Cop's/Sheriff's/CHP have Radar and/or Radar Guns.

I mean really? You people are breaking the law and are trying to find loop holes and grey areas to get out of tickets?

Everybody has a, 'friend' or, 'knows somebody' that did some heinous act to get out of a ticket and succeed.

When in reality, most cops have their shit together. And even more so, most will be pussies and not try this shit because too much is at stake for when something goes wrong.

You have a better chance at getting out of a ticket by being calm and nice to a cop than trying to be a dick and act like you are Mr. Law.

Exactly. If you don't speed, you won't have to Worry about BS'ing a cop.

OP - I think your Friend is Full of Crap anyways.

Being that I have Family that are CHP/Sheriff's, I made a few Calls. The Only thing that needs to be registered is the Radar Gun, and its a Calibration Certificate.

He also Stated that he does not Need to Catch you by Radar, If he believes you are being Unsafe and/or speeding, he can pull you over and still issue you a ticket based on the Speed he was traveling and the distance gained by your vehicle at his Controlled speed.

He Also Stated, " What is Funny, is that Most driver's I catch without radar didnt even know I was following them until I flipped my lights on. " Just because you do nto SEE them, does NOT mean they are NOT there..

All in All, Don't break the Law and you dont have to worry about Cops.

LeftNutOfGowd
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
WATCH AND LEARN MY FRIEND

6wXkI4t7nuc

08fZQWjDVKE

Weedm
03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Dude that's like an hour long..

SlideWell
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
^^^^ its so worth it tho. great information. ive watched them both.
granted, when it comes down to all that, most younger people like us cant afford attorneys, nor afford to be detained in jail, which police can easily do in many situations. just my :2c:

Element_on_20s
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Amen. Don't give cops a reason to pull you over, don't be a dick.

fckillerbee
03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Amen. Don't give cops a reason to pull you over, don't be a dick.

its not that they have to be certified. it's that the radar gun issuing the ticket has to be calibrated. If they gave you a ticket stating that you were speeding by "radar" gun, then they have to show proof that the radar gun is calibrated. So If you do get a ticket, that says "radar" don't say anything till court. Cause in the judgement of the officer, he can say you were speeding.

Hope this helps...as I also have buddies that are CHP.

ryguy
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
On a related note, anybody ever been using a fuzz buster when they used the laser on you? My god, shits startling.

fckillerbee
03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
On a related note, anybody ever been using a fuzz buster when they used the laser on you? My god, shits startling.

no...what is it and whats it do? (goes off when radar is being used?)

!Zar!
03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I think it is slang for a radar detector.