PDA

View Full Version : S13 black top sr in s14 Questions

Lynk444
03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I've tried searching this and found some resources but they did not answer all of my questions.

I have a 1995 s14 that I just bought with the engine blown. I wanted to put a black top s13 sr in the car.

First question I have is the heater. The s14 has a heater valve. Do I take out the heater valve with the s13 sr or just run heater have on the s13 sr? I live in AZ and I don't want any overheating.

Intercooler piping - Do I go with s13 intercooler piping and will it work alright or do I go with s14 intercooler piping? The engine I was looking at came with a side mount intercooler and I was thinking about running that. Probably should just go full fmic.

Fan Shroud and radiator - should this be s14 or s13?

Wiring - recomendation on legit places who build the harness so it is plug and play. The a/c must work in this car... AZ again. I'm not worried about the a/c lines I can get those fabricated.

Anyways thanks for the help. Please don't post unless you have something of value to say.

Homer_Simpson
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I've tried searching this and found some resources but they did not answer all of my questions.

I have a 1995 s14 that I just bought with the engine blown. I wanted to put a black top s13 sr in the car.

First question I have is the heater. The s14 has a heater valve. Do I take out the heater valve with the s13 sr or just run heater have on the s13 sr? I live in AZ and I don't want any overheating.

Are you talking about that valve on the firewall? If yes, just keep the one on the S14 and run the appropriate lines in and out.

Intercooler piping - Do I go with s13 intercooler piping and will it work alright or do I go with s14 intercooler piping? The engine I was looking at came with a side mount intercooler and I was thinking about running that. Probably should just go full fmic.

Neither one will fit, you will have to mod either the hotpipe or the coldpipe depending on which kit you get (S13 or S14.)

Fan Shroud and radiator - should this be s14 or s13?

Get an S14 SR shroud if you are using the S14 SR radiator (obvious huh?) I do know that one can also use the S13 SR and the matching shroud on the S14 with some modifications.

Wiring - recomendation on legit places who build the harness so it is plug and play. The a/c must work in this car... AZ again. I'm not worried about the a/c lines I can get those fabricated.

Do it yourself, it is not that hard, AC wiring is only 2 wires to get running, 4 wires to get the fans and AICV to with it. Don't evacuate your AC system during the swap and get some brackets from Cody.

Anyways thanks for the help. Please don't post unless you have something of value to say.

Message length.

Lynk444
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Thank you.

Lynk444
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh, I thought s13 sr did not have heater valves? Having the heater valve from the s14 left in the system will not affect cooling?

I just started on the forum.... Who is Cody?

Thanks for your help.

Homer_Simpson
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh, I thought s13 sr did not have heater valves? Having the heater valve from the s14 left in the system will not affect cooling?

I just started on the forum.... Who is Cody?

Thanks for your help.
His user name is "CodyAce" and he's the guy that is making the custom brackets that allows you to bolt the KA compressor to the SR block.

As for the heater valve, are you talking about the valve that opens to let hot coolant into the heater core? That's the only heater valve that I know of that you'll have to deal with in the swap. In any case, all the heating and AC component will be from the S14 if you do it the way I've answered you.

Lynk444
03-09-2010, 06:28 AM
His user name is "CodyAce" and he's the guy that is making the custom brackets that allows you to bolt the KA compressor to the SR block.

As for the heater valve, are you talking about the valve that opens to let hot coolant into the heater core? That's the only heater valve that I know of that you'll have to deal with in the swap. In any case, all the heating and AC component will be from the S14 if you do it the way I've answered you.

Thanks again for your help, I will check out CodyAce.

Yeah the heater valve that hangs off of the firewall of the s14 that lets hot coolant into the heater core. My s13 did not have a heater valve and I'm assuming the japanese s13 did not have a heater valve. So if I put a s13 sr in a s14 chassis and run the s14 heater valve won't that run a restriction in the back of the head for the cooling system, since the s13 sr always had coolant running through the heater core and possibly cause the back cylinders of the engine to run hotter than the rest... or am I just overthinking this and should just hook the heater hoses up to the s14 heater valve. :)

Homer_Simpson
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks again for your help, I will check out CodyAce.

Yeah the heater valve that hangs off of the firewall of the s14 that lets hot coolant into the heater core. My s13 did not have a heater valve and I'm assuming the japanese s13 did not have a heater valve. So if I put a s13 sr in a s14 chassis and run the s14 heater valve won't that run a restriction in the back of the head for the cooling system, since the s13 sr always had coolant running through the heater core and possibly cause the back cylinders of the engine to run hotter than the rest... or am I just overthinking this and should just hook the heater hoses up to the s14 heater valve. :)

Just hook it up to the inlet and outlet on the s14 firewall and you're good to go.