PDA

View Full Version : Need help in Northern VA

DriftChicken
03-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Hey guys! I have a '92 with a an sr20 blacktop. The motor is in the car and does start and even runs, but there are a few gremlins lurking. Unfortunately I have not really had the time to put into the car but I feel it's about time to finally get it running so I can either drive it or sell it.

- If my timing is too far out could that possibly cause my car to overheat? after checking/adjusting the ignition timing(to correct a slight stumble in the idle) my temps went all the way hot in a matter of minutes of driving, although the temp held fine while warming up in the garage. Temp was fine at one point, so I know it had to have been something I did. Only major thing I did before this happened was adjust timing and checked the

- When grandma-driving it up and down the street it was fine. When I got on the gas at about 4k or so the car started bogging. Not sure what's causing it. Any ideas?

I'll give it a go myself but if anybody would like to offer some help or even advice on a shop that I can send it to I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Chunky

buentellomma
03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
not sure why your car would overheat from messing with the timing.... have you tried flushing your coolant system? replacing your thermostat? anyway as for the bogging, i had this probably a few weeks ago. after much money and time wasted, it turned out to be my mafs. mine had sucked something across it somehow and bent one of the wires on it very slightly. i switched another one in and it worked perfectly. also try cleaning the mafs if its not damaged with some electric cleaner. the bogging could be many things but this is what happened to mine. also you could try running a can of seafoam in your gas , maybe you might have bad/water in your tank. just my 2 cents hope it helps:bash:

barrywayne
03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
like said above i believe that is your thermostat i had a turbo b20 civic that did the same thing.

DriftChicken
03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies! Is it possible for a thermostat to go bad just sitting there? Reason I ask is because before I messed with the timing, it didn't overheat. So between the last time I ran up and down the street(with it not overheating) and messing with the timing(afterward it started to overheat) you think the thermostat could've gone bad? Keep in mind my car's barely been driven and it's been sitting for over a year.

I'm actually going to work on it this weekend and am looking to compile a list of things to check.

- Check thermostat
- Check maf (any idea on how to do this or do I just replace it and hope for the best?)
- Check ecu for codes; this is huge, I'll do this first and report back what I find over the weekend.

Thanks!

Chunk

buentellomma
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
to check your mafs, two screws hold it on the mafs body, and it plug has a metal clip holding it on. i would just look at it, the two wires should be straight. if they are not, replace it, if it is dirty, pick up some electronic cleaner and spray the sensor wires. be careful when removing the mafs. if you are throwing codes, your check engine light should be on. do you know where the thermostat is at?

DriftChicken
03-14-2010, 10:56 AM
God I feel like an idiot... after having taken a long break from it, when I popped open the hood Friday night the first thing I notice... THE FAN'S HAD GOTTEN DISCONNECTED! Careless me. So I believe the overheating is over with...

I'm planning on running some seafoam or other engine flush stuff through it? Good idea? No? I figures Seafoam can be run through the motor oil, gas tank and even the intake as opposed to engine flush which is just engine.

It's been sitting a while, maybe even a fresh oil change might help.

Thanks guys! I'll report back what I find...

92SEric240sx
03-14-2010, 11:34 AM
How's your fuel pump?, i had a friend who's car kept bogging at 4-5k rpm's and when he pulled his fuel pump it was clogged up with trash, the sock filter had fallen off, just my $.02

DriftChicken
03-18-2010, 11:17 PM
How's your fuel pump?, i had a friend who's car kept bogging at 4-5k rpm's and when he pulled his fuel pump it was clogged up with trash, the sock filter had fallen off, just my $.02
I'll have to check that out. I'm planning on working on it some more tomorrow evening.

DriftChicken
03-21-2010, 12:03 AM
OK with a bit of tinkering the car's running much better. I put in a fresh tank of 93 octane gas and got the fans connected properly. No overheating, idle is right at around 800-ish rpm and it hold idle pretty well. Now the part that really worries me... inspections! I need to get both the state safety and emissions done. State is a no brainer... easy enough to fix what they say. Emissions on the other hand... anybody have ideas on what to do to get my car to pass? or better yet any places that are det-friendly?

If anybody knows any places that are able to get a det through emissions please PM me, no need plastering that kind of info on a public forum. I would like to get my car passed on it's own, but if there's a quicker(ie a hook up) option I'm willing to go that route just to get my car back on the road sooner. I used to have a guy who'd hook me up but he's since left and the new guy will not consider getting my car through even though I "ask him nicely."

Oh yeah... I'm in Northen VA.

Thanks!

Chunky

DriftChicken
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Update: Known issues...

Battery is D-E-A-D. Here's what's happening... The car's completely dead. No lights, nothing. I jump start it and it takes a few tries/a few minutes charging off the other car. Once I jump it I have to keep it connected for a few minutes before taking the cables off. If I take the cables off too early the car will die... if I wait about 5-10 then it will run fine. After running it, for about 20mins when I turn it off the car will not start again, but I can see that the lights on the dash are on but dim. The cars been sitting for over a year without running so I'm sure the batt is just not able to hold the charge. Do the conditions described give me any indication of the condition of my alternator? I always thought a running car will run off the alternator while charging the batt, is that not correct?

BOV - Currently I don't have it installed...yet. My research indicates that a recirculated BOV is a help with emissions (in NoVA) so would it be beneficial for me to wait until after my emissions to have it installed? With metered air not escaping into the atmosphere, wouldn't that be the same as having it recirculate? I understand I will need to resist the temptation to run it hard during this time, but I'm planning on installing it soon.

Getting there guys... I'm hoping to get the smaller issues fixed(busted taillamp mainly) and get it inspected safety and emissions. Maybe even as soon as next weekend!!!

92SEric240sx
04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure what you need in northern va, but they do not have emissions down in southern virginia, SOVA, hahaha. Is emissions a part of inspection and getting an inspection sticker or not?

As for the car dying out there is an alternator fuse, check that , get a new battery or take yours out and get it checked at advance auto or somewhere else. They can recharge a battery for you too, They can also test alternators for you. If it's not those you may be having lower harness issues.

buentellomma
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
any updates on your car?