PDA

View Full Version : Brake caliper.

dreaMervaj
03-04-2010, 12:06 PM
How hard is it to remove a brake caliper? I believe the piston on the caliber is messed up because I can't make it go far in enough for my new pads to fit and now it seems like it's locked up since I loosen it out.

Is there a difference between a 97' caliber vs a 95' or 93'?

Suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

enkei2k
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
umm...grab a tool, loosen bolt? use wd-40 if necessary.

Start removing the brake hardware by pulling the caliper. This is done by removing the two bolts on the back side with a 19mm socket.

i believe all s14 calipers are the same.

sirfallsalot243
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Im assuming youre trying to replace brake pads and cant get the piston to go back in. If its a front caliper, the pistons press in. Use a big vise grip or c-clamp to push them in. If its a rear caliper, the pistons turn in. Pressing on them wont get you anywhere. You need to turn them clockwise for what will seem like FOREVER. If you have enough hands (or skill) try pressing the pistons in WHILE you turn them. This will get them started easier- sometimes theyll just spin and spin and spin before they start to go in.

As for what to use to turn the piston, I use the little tool that came with my angle grinder. (the thinger with two poles on it to loosen the grinding disc). The poles fit in the piston nicely, and it beats the fuck out of trying to do it with needlenose.

Or, you could buy the tool made to turn the piston in. But fuck that. lol

dreaMervaj
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I was in a rush and forgot to mention it's the rear caliper (passenger side to be exact).

I turned the piston with the tool for what seemed like a lifetime and it move just a little (not enough to fit the new pads). When I did the driver side all it toke for it to go back was a few turns and it went smoothly so that's how I came to the conclusion that my piston in the passenger side caliper is messed up.

Any suggestion guys? Has anyone had a seized up piston? If I don't get the piston to move back far enough to fit my new pads than I'll have to buy a new caliper ($40 bucks!).

pep323
03-05-2010, 01:06 AM
the caliper is shot. you need to replace it.in fact i would replace them both if they are the original pieces. i'm actually goin through the same thing now.

projectRDM
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
You've been here nearly five years and have never come across this? I found that hard to believe.

Schassis rear calipers (not cailbers dumbass) are notorious for seizing, generally after four to five years or 75k+ miles they need rebuild/replacement. There's hundreds of threads concerning this if you had bothered to search. S14 calipers are all the same, you can use S13 calipers but the ebrake attaching bracket is different.

dreaMervaj
03-05-2010, 10:05 AM
You've been here nearly five years and have never come across this? I found that hard to believe.

Schassis rear calipers (not cailbers dumbass) are notorious for seizing, generally after four to five years or 75k+ miles they need rebuild/replacement. There's hundreds of threads concerning this if you had bothered to search. S14 calipers are all the same, you can use S13 calipers but the ebrake attaching bracket is different.

Thanks for correcting my spelling and the advice, much appreciated. And I searched here and NICO but came up with nothing.

A new caliper it is.

alkemyst
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM

QFT..mine seized up and freaking covered the rear of my white kouki with rust spots.

sucked.

Good excuse to go R33 GTST brakes.

WIKID S4TEEN
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I searched here and NICO (<<<---HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM) but came up with nothing

Hey Russ,
Here's right. If you search for "caliber" nothing comes up!

:duh:

nelshaun
05-04-2011, 11:36 PM
It does not require that much effort. You only have to remove the brake hardware by pulling the caliper. I also think you have problems with your break pad that is why your removing your brake calipers.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
automotive news (http://automotivenewsupdates.blogspot.com/)
automotive facts (http://getautomotivefacts.blogspot.com/)
automotive knowledge (http://automotiveknowledgecenter.blogspot.com/)
automotive evolution (http://automotiveevolutioninfo.blogspot.com/)