PDA

View Full Version : Chile 8.8 Earthquake

jspec240
02-27-2010, 02:59 AM
said to be a tsunami warning as well. Prayers and thoughts to anyone who has family over there...

Teddy
02-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Wow this JUST happened. Nothing on the news yet.. Crazyy.

Hope everyone is okay.

jspec240
02-27-2010, 03:17 AM
yea it just came up on the news...

simmode1
02-27-2010, 03:28 AM
Damn... what the hell!? Scary times we're living in...

joeapple8
02-27-2010, 03:39 AM
None of these things happen to Australia, Canada, I want to move now...

az_240
02-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Move to Arizona and never worry about a natural disaster again!

It does get hot in the summer though.

simmode1
02-27-2010, 03:45 AM
None of these things happen to Australia, Canada, I want to move now...

Escape earthquake, wildfires, mudslides and statewide government bankruptcy while you can!

SUPERSTAR
02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
crazy .

D.Adams
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Hawaii's preparing for a Tsunami rite now because of this earth quake

GWB654
02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
pretty crazy i live on the coast of oahu and most of my town has been evacuated but we decided to wait it out. we live about 1000ft from the shore and up a slight hill so we should be ok. it is supposed to hit in 35 min all the roads by me a shut down. i will take pics if anything big happens and post it up. pretty intense morning!!

itsspazm
02-27-2010, 02:50 PM
the water is currently surging into hilo bay on the big island... nothing bad yet. and lets hope it stays that way. im watching a live stream from a local news station back home..

SimpleS14
02-27-2010, 03:23 PM
This is the first time I'm hearing about the earthquake. :( When I think about it, this area rides along a rift and not too far off where three tectonic plates converge...so an earthquake was bound to happen.

jspec240
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Man I heard the waves in Hawaii were gona be crazy but I dont think its commin.. thank god

jspec240
02-27-2010, 06:30 PM
^^The reason I started this thread was to show sympathy to the people who live there or have families or loved ones in the area and to monitor the out come Please leave the bickering at home.. (to all)

Buriantsu
02-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Chile will get back on there feet they are one of the wealthy countries in South America.

fliprayzin240sx
02-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Chile will get back on there feet they are one of the wealthy countries in South America.

And pretty well prepared for shit like this...so far they have not asked for international aid. Straight out gangta right there..."8.8 pshhh...we were ready for another 9.6 bitches!!!"

In other news, we got hit by a Tsunami in Okinawa from this earthquake. It was a mind boggling 10 cm...needless to say, I had boners bigger than that and I'm asian!!!

jspec240
02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Lol thanks for posting on the topic.....

tinys s14
02-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Escape earthquake, wildfires, mudslides and statewide government bankruptcy while you can!

goverment bankruptcy LMFAOOOOOOOO

tricky_ab
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Nasa scientist says Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis [/URL]

[url]http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-01/chilean-quake-likely-shifted-earth-s-axis-nasa-scientist-says.html (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20050820&postcount=1)

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

The changes can be modeled, though they’re difficult to physically detect given their small size, Gross said. Some changes may be more obvious, and islands may have shifted, according to Andreas Rietbrock, a professor of Earth Sciences at the U.K.’s Liverpool University who has studied the area impacted, though not since the latest temblor.

Santa Maria Island off the coast near Concepcion, Chile’s second-largest city, may have been raised 2 meters (6 feet) as a result of the latest quake, Rietbrock said today in a telephone interview. He said the rocks there show evidence pointing to past earthquakes shifting the island upward in the past.

‘Ice-Skater Effect’

“It’s what we call the ice-skater effect,” David Kerridge, head of Earth hazards and systems at the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, said today in a telephone interview. “As the ice skater puts when she’s going around in a circle, and she pulls her arms in, she gets faster and faster. It’s the same idea with the Earth going around if you change the distribution of mass, the rotation rate changes.”

Rietbrock said he hasn’t been able to get in touch with seismologists in Concepcion to discuss the quake, which registered 8.8 on the Richter scale.

“What definitely the earthquake has done is made the Earth ring like a bell,” Rietbrock said.

The magnitude 9.1 Sumatran in 2004 that generated an Indian Ocean tsunami shortened the day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted the axis by about 2.3 milliarcseconds, Gross said.

The changes happen on the day and then carry on “forever,” Benjamin Fong Chao, dean of Earth Sciences of the National Central University in Taiwan, said in an e-mail.

“This small contribution is buried in larger changes due to other causes, such as atmospheric mass moving around on Earth,” Chao said.