PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the car with coilover and adjustable suspension arms, now about alignment

chituntang
02-23-2010, 01:38 AM
This is about my 95 S14. As far as suspension goes, I have the following:

Function and Form coilover
Front tension rods
Rear RUCA
Rear toe arms
Rear traction rods

Wheels:
G35 18" coupe wheels
225/40/18 Dunlop tires

I first set the car's height really low and have it on the stiffest, and I hated it. So I make it higher (do not recall the adjustment I made). They are the type where you screw the bottom mount to adjust the height. After that, I brought the car to GTE for an alignment. I am pretty happy with the rear numbers, but no so much to the front. The camber for the front is 2.5 and 2.2 (they are supposed to be negative, right?). This is with the camber plate max out and the old man (forgot his name, he does all the alignment at GTE, including race cars) told me that there is nothing else that can be done, unless I adjust the ride height higher. Well, I am going to make it higher once the tires are replaced, as I do not like the stretch tires look. I will replace them with 235/40/18, or possible 245/40/18 if it will look flush.

So, my question is that with the coilovers that use the same method to adjust height, how much will the camber adjustment range will shift?

Thanks in advance.

LayNLow
02-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Lol, 225/40/18 on a 18x8 isnt stretched at all.
So, you need to post up if your camber is - or + and what you want it to be so that maybe someone can help you.

bshotts
02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
This question is hard to answer because it is so dependent on suspension geometry and the actual coilover you are using, however this information is taken from the SPC Performance Suspension website and can be a good rule of thumb.

If you lower your vehicle 1 inch front camber can change by approximately -.75°
and rear camber can change by approximately -.50°
By lowering a vehicle 2 inches your front camber change will be
approximately -1.50° and your rear camber change will be approximately -1.00°
When you lower a vehicle 3 inches you will change the front camber angle by
approximately -2.50° and your rear camber will change by approximately -2.00°-2.00°

fliprayzin240sx
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Get a better coilover that has 2 way height adjustability and camber plates...

chituntang
02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Lol, 225/40/18 on a 18x8 isnt stretched at all.
So, you need to post up if your camber is - or + and what you want it to be so that maybe someone can help you.

I know it is not really a stretch, but I like it where the tires sits flush with the wheels. And I am pretty sure that the camber numbers are negative.

Get a better coilover that has 2 way height adjustability and camber plates...

I have both 2 way height adjustment and camber plates. And now 2 way height adjustment and camber plates makes your coilover better? So somehow megan's coilover is up with HKS, Tein, Tanabe, etc coilovers because they have these two features? Funny...

And if you have seen the Function and Form coilover system, they look just like the Fortune Auto coilover system, from the camber plates, the warranty stickers on the bottom, the lower shock mounts, etc.

This question is hard to answer because it is so dependent on suspension geometry and the actual coilover you are using, however this information is taken from the SPC Performance Suspension website and can be a good rule of thumb.

If you lower your vehicle 1 inch front camber can change by approximately -.75°
and rear camber can change by approximately -.50°
By lowering a vehicle 2 inches your front camber change will be
approximately -1.50° and your rear camber change will be approximately -1.00°
When you lower a vehicle 3 inches you will change the front camber angle by
approximately -2.50° and your rear camber will change by approximately -2.00°-2.00°

So what is the camber adjustment range for a stock 95 240sx with camber plate installed in front?

bshotts
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I would say roughly 0 to -3 degrees camber +/- .5 degrees, but again depends on the make of the camber plate. On the S chassis, you are limited by the diameter of the shock tower opening, or with aftermarket camber adjustment plates limited to the length of the slots on the plate.

LayNLow
02-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Well if your trying to get it back to 0(which would be stupid) you could always slot the upper hole on the coilover bracket. But 2.5* should be decent, dont see why you need much less. Thats what I am running up front.

chituntang
02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, the alignment guy told me that camber at -2.5 is close to a race setup, which makes me believe that it is something that I do not need.

SWAT Team S14
02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, the alignment guy told me that camber at -2.5 is close to a race setup, which makes me believe that it is something that I do not need.

So. why did you put stiff, adjustable race suspension on the car? Because it looks kewl? :rolleyes:

Ceepo
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
^ you gotta compromise to look bad ass man, stretch the tires, raise the car, is about all you can do, maybe get some over fenders but again, why did you buy a 240sx slam it and expect to have a perfect aligment...

Dazzla
02-28-2010, 12:15 PM
You can put a 245/45/18 on it if you want. But that's what my 350z wheels came with, when I replace them I'd probably go with something smaller like a 225/40/18.

You gotta pay to play lol

dreaMervaj
03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
What are camber #'s suppose to look like front + rear for a lowered 240SX? I DD mine so I want to get as many miles as I can with my tires but is that possible with wider rims/lower offset?

bshotts
03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
What are camber #'s suppose to look like front + rear for a lowered 240SX? I DD mine so I want to get as many miles as I can with my tires but is that possible with wider rims/lower offset?

From S14 FSM:
OEM Front:
Camber - 0* to -1.30*
Toe-in - .059 to .138 in. (1.5 to 3.5 mm)

OEM Rear:
Camber - -.35* to -1.35*
Toe-in - 0 to .197 in. (0 to 5.0 mm)

I'm assuming these numbers were an engineering compromise between even tire wear and good road manners. If you are only DD and want to decrease tire wear, keep toe-in at 0 and keep OEM camber. If you're into spirited driving, I say dial in more negative camber (-2* or so) and minimal toe-in to help turn in.