PDA

View Full Version : Woman dies after being hit by tire from NHRA crash

MikeisNissan
02-22-2010, 07:50 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/S14Kouki240sx/fan-dies-pd.jpg
10 hours, 2 minutes ago

[CHANDLER, ARIZ.(AP) —A woman died Sunday after being hit by a tire from a crashing dragster at the NHRA Arizona Nationals.
The woman was watching a first-round Top Fuel run at Firebird International Raceway when Antron Brown’s Matco Tools/U.S. Army dragster went out of control on the strip and its left rear wheel came off.

Alia Maisonet, a spokeswoman for the Gila River Indian Community, said the woman was airlifted to a hospital for treatment and later died. Gila River emergency personnel were among the first to respond to the scene.
Maisonet said she didn’t know the victim’s name or hometown.

“The entire NHRA community is deeply saddened by today’s incident and sends its thoughts and prayers to the woman’s family and friends,” the National Hot Rod Association said in an e-mailed statement.

Franki Buckman, the track’s executive vice president, said Firebird International Raceway also is deeply saddened by the incident.
Brown was released by the track medical staff, but went to Chandler Regional Hospital for further observation, according to a statement from Don Schumacher Racing. The NHRA said Brown wasn’t injured.

The Associated Press sent an e-mail to Brown’s Brownsburg, Ind.-based racing team seeking comment after the woman died.
The racing continued after the accident, and John Force advanced to his second straight Funny Car final before the session was postponed because of rain. Force, the 60-year-old star who ended a 40-race winless streak last week with his record 127th victory, will meet Jack Beckman on Monday.] Taken from yahoo

It's amazing how they can just continue racing as if nothing happened..

Mister.E
02-22-2010, 08:02 AM

Werd. You'd think they'd end it for the day or something. i mean shit, they postponed for rain...but there is no cancellation for DEATH!

on a side note, John Force is a complete fuck face

MikeisNissan
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Oh but they cant race in the rain lol.

tricky_ab
02-22-2010, 08:23 AM
EDIT: Double post

tricky_ab
02-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Oh but they cant race in the rain lol.

I was just going to say this! You can definitely tell where their priorities are...Oh well someone's going to be hit with a suit...

mr_eh
02-22-2010, 08:25 AM
i'm going to hell anyway so, it's ok for me to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-UdG44azg

Flicktitty
02-22-2010, 08:41 AM
.Oh well someone's going to be hit with a suit...
Not so much, As far as i know. you knew of the risk going there. Same as if your driving past a golf course and you get hit with a golf ball through the window. you knew the golf course was there. same goes for getting hit at the the baseball game with a a ball. i'm pretty sure they have the same sort of thing at a race track?

R.I.P. Though.

and as a side note - I have been to a few drag events where people have died (mostly racers) and they keep racing afterward and they just have a "moment of silence" thrown in there somewhere.

ryguy
02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Same as if your driving past a golf course and you get hit with a golf ball through the window.

Most golf courses I go to have little signs by the tee boxes next to major roads, saying you are responsible for any damage done to passing cars. I would think that you would be at fault in that situation. Your baseball analogy is right though, unless somebody could prove negligence on the part of the race team.

I wonder if she died at the scene or died at the hospital. I think that would make a difference whether the NHRA are heartless bastards or not.

driftsilvias13
02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I cant believe they kept on racing after!

Matej
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
This reminds me of a time when motorsports were manly and dangerous.

1_Bad_Silvia
02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
sorry to hear this bad news...

VROOOM
02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I wonder if she died at the scene or died at the hospital. I think that would make a difference whether the NHRA are heartless bastards or not.
the article says she was airlifted out and died at the hospital.

Flicktitty
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Most golf courses I go to have little signs by the tee boxes next to major roads, saying you are responsible for any damage done to passing cars. I would think that you would be at fault in that situation. Your baseball analogy is right though, unless somebody could prove negligence on the part of the race team.

that could be true, i've never went golfing, i just know my moms friends windshield got busted out driving past a golf course,she called the police and they said oh, well you knew the golf course was there.

S14DB
02-22-2010, 11:14 AM
that could be true, i've never went golfing, i just know my moms friends windshield got busted out driving past a golf course,she called the police and they said oh, well you knew the golf course was there.

They can say whatever they want but they will still get sued. Police won't do anything because it is a civil matter.

Golf course by where I grew up had to put up a 30ft high net/fence cause they got sued so many times to replace windshields and their insurance was going to drop them if they didn't.

Did they know that the woman died before they started racing. More then likely they sent her off to the hospital and went back to racing and didn't find out till later that she died.

DALAZ_68
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Did they know that the woman died before they started racing. More then likely they sent her off to the hospital and went back to racing and didn't find out till later that she died.

my thoughts exactly, she was air lifted out alive from what i take it...

Alia Maisonet, a spokeswoman for the Gila River Indian Community, said the woman was airlifted to a hospital for treatment and later died.

^

DataXUnknown
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
-bFk9F5IwCE

Had to post it. First thought other than the Final Destination movie.

So sad though that it actually happened.

NINJASPY
02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
RIP
I went to the races a few weeks ago when they were in pomona.

fckillerbee
02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
i'm going to hell anyway so, it's ok for me to post this.

YouTube - 'The Final Destination' Nadia's death HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-UdG44azg)

sad thing is...i myself thought of the same thing. See you there!

brndck
02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
i went to winternationals in pomona last weekend.
no one died.
devin bought me lunch.
i like that final destination video.
does anyone know where this woman was standing when she got hit?

XeroX
02-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Why would they stop the race? People get horribly injured and sometimes die in motorcrossing events etc....they never stop the races then...why should this be any different??

diomedes
02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Any pictures of the wheel in the air?

VROOOM
02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Why would they stop the race? People get horribly injured and sometimes die in motorcrossing events etc....they never stop the races then...why should this be any different??

maybe because its usually a participant that dies not a fan.

orion::S14
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Why stop for a fan's death?

If you see an accident on the way to work, with a body under a white sheet...do you park and just skip work that day. Sit alone in silence?

People die sometimes...and that's tragic, and very important to that persons loved ones. For everyone else, it's kinda meaningless. SO why stop the race?

Someone help me with that logic - "I can't believe they still raced"...???

- Brian

VROOOM
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
People die sometimes...and that's tragic, and very important to that persons loved ones. For everyone else, it's kinda meaningless. SO why stop the race?

- Brian

im sure it was meaningless for the people sitting around her that saw her get hit.

[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Saw this on CNN news today. Very sad what happened to the lady. RIP.

driftoner
02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
i geuss she was really tired.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j1kPhD6mV9k/Srf4cZSd56I/AAAAAAAAARI/vDPl7-oIusk/s400/ba+dum+tss.jpg

S14DB
02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Antron Brown Dragster Crash Kills Woman Video NHRA Arizona Nationals - iViewTube.com (http://www.iviewtube.com/videos/126182/antron-brown-dragster-crash-kills-woman-video-nhra-arizona-nationals)

240XTC
02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Jeez thats messed up dude. Its sad that the show must go on.

tricky_ab
02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
The trajectory when the wheel left the car was CRAZY in that video...The crowd in the area had no freakin' chance...

silverarrow27
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
maybe because its usually a participant that dies not a fan.

I agree with XeroX.

orion::S14
02-23-2010, 07:04 AM
im sure it was meaningless for the people sitting around her that saw her get hit.

That would be horrible to see.

I'm sure that if I were anywhere near that, I'd probably head home.

So my point stands - It has a huge impact on the MINORITY of the race fans there. Why make the MAJORITY suffer and stop the event???

I'm not trying to make it sound like her death was no big deal. It is a big deal, and it is tragic. Horrible way to go. But the 'show must go on'.

- Brian

murda-c
02-23-2010, 07:19 AM
needs more catch fence.

ThatGuy
02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
NHRA did their part, they had her flown out to a hospital. It is unfortunate that she passed away, but can you honestly expect a spectator to take top priority for them? Over the paying advertisers? Over the television network that has paid to air the race? Over the racers that are depending on the outcome of the race for their standings? Over all the other spectators that paid admission to be there?

Think about it from their perspective for a minute. She was injured, unfortunately. They had her attended to by the medical team at the track, and then had her flown out to be taken care of at a hospital. Unfortunately she did not survive, but once she left the property, her current condition was no longer their concern, it was the concern of the hospital. Now, that is not to say that they are heartless bastards that didn't give a damn about her, they just had more pressing priorities once she was airlifted.

Some of you guys are looking way to hard into this. Like the President of the NHRA should have been on the helicopter with her, giving her CPR. Or the track officials should have stopped immediately and built a new fence that afternoon. It's just not realistic thinking.

murda-c
02-23-2010, 07:46 AM
I still think there should be catch fences....at least at the tracks NHRA runs at.

S14DB
02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I still think there should be catch fences....at least at the tracks NHRA runs at.

Then you can't see shit. If you impede the experience to much it's not worth going.

How often does this happen? I am sure exponentially more fans die driving to and from the track then get injured at the track.

murda-c
02-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Who can't see through a cable fence?

BrokenWhite240
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
How did Mary die? A tire hit her in the face.

But such a sad thing to hear and see. It's always sad to see just a regular ol' specator die. In such a catastrophic event, just watching one of their favorite sports.

atutt
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/S14Kouki240sx/fan-dies-pd.jpg
10 hours, 2 minutes ago

[CHANDLER, ARIZ.(AP) —A woman died Sunday after being hit by a tire from a crashing dragster at the NHRA Arizona Nationals.
The woman was watching a first-round Top Fuel run at Firebird International Raceway when Antron Brown’s Matco Tools/U.S. Army dragster went out of control on the strip and its left rear wheel came off.

Alia Maisonet, a spokeswoman for the Gila River Indian Community, said the woman was airlifted to a hospital for treatment and later died. Gila River emergency personnel were among the first to respond to the scene.
Maisonet said she didn’t know the victim’s name or hometown.

“The entire NHRA community is deeply saddened by today’s incident and sends its thoughts and prayers to the woman’s family and friends,” the National Hot Rod Association said in an e-mailed statement.

Franki Buckman, the track’s executive vice president, said Firebird International Raceway also is deeply saddened by the incident.
Brown was released by the track medical staff, but went to Chandler Regional Hospital for further observation, according to a statement from Don Schumacher Racing. The NHRA said Brown wasn’t injured.

The Associated Press sent an e-mail to Brown’s Brownsburg, Ind.-based racing team seeking comment after the woman died.
The racing continued after the accident, and John Force advanced to his second straight Funny Car final before the session was postponed because of rain. Force, the 60-year-old star who ended a 40-race winless streak last week with his record 127th victory, will meet Jack Beckman on Monday.] Taken from yahoo

Because if she died "at the scene" they'd have to shut the races down..
They do that... People lose money... Money makes the world go round> So it's easier to just move on and say she died "en route" or at the hospital...