PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here survive without cable on purpose? How?

exitspeed
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
So I'm trying to cut some things out of my life that I feel are not really necessary and cable keeps coming up as something I feel like I can live without.

Anyone here intentionally live without cable?

If I get ride of cable can I catch new episodes right away online without too much hassle? I know there's Hulu, but I haven't' been on it much so I'm not sure how much new stuff is on there. Are there other sites like that?

We really only watch a handful of shows. So I'm not sure it's gonna kill us.

enkei2k
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
i survive without cable. haven't had it since forever. for stuff like that, i go to my girlfriend's house (mostly just for food network). not much on cable interests me much anyway.

you're right, it's all digital (ie streams, computer) now. legal streams, illegal downloads (usually available within <12 hours), etc...unfortunately. or, if you want, find DVD's of the shows that interest you.

LimeLite Racing
02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I have like 10 channels. Pay like 5-7 bucks for it through Comcast. As long as I got fast internet I can live without cable. Besides, my lady and I got netflix.

ZilviaKid
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
i have cable but i dont watch it.

you can easily just use the internet to watch shows, especcially if you belong to a good link site.

exitspeed
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I have like 10 channels. Pay like 5-7 bucks for it through Comcast. As long as I got fast internet I can live without cable. Besides, my lady and I got netflix.

I was thinking of Netflix to replace it.

Through the digital broadcast we still get local channels right?

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm about to cut cable...i have netflix hooked up to the 360...they have tv shows, movies, even some other stuff....what do I watch on cable? speed channel...but as of now...looks like it's all shit. youtube and netflix...do I need more?

mehsilvia
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, im in the same boat.

I already killed off all of the Premium Channels - and now enjoy all of the Series i used to watch (Dexter, Weeds, etc . . .) through Netflix. On Blu-ray. All at once. Without Commercials!

And now im wondering why i even keep basic/digital. There are so FEW shows on the major networks. And ALL of the content is available on CBS.com, NBC.com, FOX.com etc . . . Streaming in HD. Immediately it seems.

(I may have just talked myself into cancelling cable all together - lol)

Bubbles
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Assuming I still have a computer, I could survive without a tv at all.

pignose4life
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
all you need to do is get cable internet, then just plug the coaxial cable straight to the tv you should get the 100 basic cable channels. Or if for some reason if that doesnt work just order netflex and learn how to torrent your favorite tv shows.

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I havent had cable in 2 years.
I have saved alot.

Almost all major networks will have their shows online and streaming.
After years of Torrents, they finally figured out all they have to do is make it available and they can put adds in it online.
Networks are so stupid, lol.
i watch lost online at ABC or whatever it is, lol.

Also, if you havent used those "redbox" things, they are awesome.
Its $1 to rent a movie per night.
So if you just wanna grab a movie fast, there ya go.

I also use Torrents, but I watch and study a retarded amount of movies and also buy lots of em too.

cable is over rated.
Its just a dumb drain that is old technology these days.
yeah, it would be nice once in awhile to watch something on the tv, but i get more done without it being there.
And i dont watch a bunch of shit.

i took that money and joined a gym.

Im also about to get rid of my smart phone.
Save almost 50 a month.
I got a garmin in the car.
I dont need shit internet on my phone, that cost more than my really good home internet.

sephiroth99
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
You can also install an antenna to get free ATSC OTA channels. In HD too

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
you can also install an antenna to get free atsc ota channels. In hd too

atscodlkeidnosha? What?

dert420sx
02-17-2010, 05:41 PM
gave up paying for that shit years ago. was pointless spending money on something i was not at home for 24/7 to really get my money's worth.
sure it sucks that i can't just watch the home lakers games in the comfort of my own home, but that's why there are sports bars.

my setup nowadays is a 42" LG 720p lcd hooked up to a flat HD antenna from walmart which i used the government $40 voucher to purchase last year.
i can get pretty much all the antenna channels and most of them come in at least 720p signal.

HalveBlue
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Like others here, I haven't had cable in years.

Hell, I barely even watch TV anymore.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

ronmcdon
02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Streaming works fine for me & is much more convenient.
I'm actually surprised cable (and tv in general) is still as popular as is.

spoolandslide
02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I have lived my whole life without cable until two days ago. My dad pulled a wire out of the wall and plugged it into the tv and then we had cable free of charge. I guess the previous owners had it and the cable company just never disconnected the service. 100 free channels but the Olympics are the only thing worth watching.

amdnivram
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
So I'm trying to cut some things out of my life that I feel are not really necessary and cable keeps coming up as something I feel like I can live without.

Anyone here intentionally live without cable?

If I get ride of cable can I catch new episodes right away online without too much hassle? I know there's Hulu, but I haven't' been on it much so I'm not sure how much new stuff is on there. Are there other sites like that?

We really only watch a handful of shows. So I'm not sure it's gonna kill us.
If you find yourself not at home too often then the internet and netflix would certainly be enough. If you are home often you will notice the cable not being there. Hulu is usually 1-2 weeks off on episodes if it can even get them and streaming netflix gets old pretty quick unless you like everything including alot of shitty B movies.

Homer_Simpson
02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I stopped watching TV 3 years ago. Canceled cable, gave away the TV, and kept the high speed internet. It was one of the best decision I've ever made.

Edit: How did I survived? Go to the gym, read books, play video games, download only stuff that I want to watch, and Hulu.

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Of course Mel, your gonna be sitting around changing diapers and burping a little one at all hours.
So you may want to keep some sort of basic cable.

ravinaziankid
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
I have cable but hardly watch TV, most of the good shows are on regular channels except for sports and such. If anything, you can get rapidshare and just download your favorite shows about an hour after it's been aired with no commercials or interruptions. That's your best bet, but you would have to pay around 75 a year for the rapidshare or you can do torrents but they take forever.

Jtuned_andy
02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
When I go home for the summer I will no longer have internet access or cable TV. You get over it, I stock up on dl'd shows and movies and just binge without using cable or the internet.

Freddy
02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
what do you guys do for sports? thats the only reason i watch tv.

BustedS13
02-18-2010, 12:45 AM
we canceled cable like six months ago. every once in a while my roommate demands we get it again, and every time i tell him he can pay for it if he wants it. i have no use for cable, because i watch everything i like to watch on hulu, or i download it. when we had cable we didn't have a DVR, and i'm not going to fucking work my schedule around shows i want to watch.
dump cable, bump your internet speed up, and it won't be long before you don't miss it at all.
oh, and pick up a pair of rabbit ears for your tv, broadcast television looks good now.
edit: for sports i either use the television at the office, go to a friend's house, or go to a bar. haven't had to do this for much yet, probably going to feel the pinch come baseball season. not having Fox Sports Midwest in the house is going to be weird.
go cards.

SimpleS14
02-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Use the vast extent of the internet and watch major sport events at a bar or a friend's house.

Ceepo
02-18-2010, 07:39 AM
I havnt had cable for about 7 years, go buy a 10 dollor set of rabbit ears at walmart(good for news and thats about it) so you can still see whats goin on in the world, but go experiance life dont watch it on tv lol... You will thank yourself for getting rid of it, you will have to find ways to keep yourself occupied but its a good thing... Plus you can watch some tv on teh internetz...

Bubbles
02-18-2010, 07:45 AM

I play sports, I don't watch them.

But seriously, I'm in the minority considering I play more sports than I watch.

exitspeed
02-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Of course Mel, your gonna be sitting around changing diapers and burping a little one at all hours.
So you may want to keep some sort of basic cable.

Eric we do use the Redbox pretty often. Can't beat the price.

Yeah the baby on the way thing is what prompted this actually. We are always really busy people normally and don't want a lot of TV. The baby is just going to make us infinity more busy I'm sure.

I think I'll can the cable, and get Netflicks.

Persona
02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Redbox, netflix, hulu, other streaming sites are more than enough to replace cable.

If you seriously find yourself with so much time you cant live without cable, then you should be doing something productive probably anyways. (Not implying to you specifically)

Cables just a luxury sometimes, but i find it not needed most of the time.

Just saw about the baby, deff. get rid of the cable and go to other entertainment options! Worst comes to worst you saved some dollars and then found out you want your cable back.

DALAZ_68
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM

i dont watch sports...waste of time...

rather play then just watch...

i havent watched TV in like...a year now...since ive gotten my Xbox all i do is game it up...mind you nothing i like watching is on TV when im home, so usually i just stream shit thru my comp and hook that up to the TV...

plus 90% of T.V. has turned into nothign but rubbish and mind numbing bullshit...

the 10% being discovery, geographical, animal planet...sometimes rarely comedy central...other than that everything else is useles...

ericcastro
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
the 10% being discovery, geographical, animal planet...
thats the only stuff I miss.

driftsilvias13
02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I dont have cable and I only had it once when I was in Jr high. Cabke TV is unnecessary to me because if you have a computer, you can watch whatever show you want online. I think tv is a waste of time. There are so many other things you could be doing instead of sitting in front of a screen for 2+ hrs.

exitspeed
02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
thats the only stuff I miss.

I will miss that as well.

Gnnr
02-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I did for like 6 months, but the place I moved to now has cable included. It was the best decision I ever made at the time, though. I stopped watching mindless things and got much more productive. Because of those 6 months, even now I only watch shows that are worth it.

Honestly, you can watch almost anything online legally for free. Hulu has almost all the shows, and if they are not there they are on their networks website (NBC.com, Fox.com, ComedyCentral.com, etc.).

Having a DVD player (yes, DVD player) with access to the internet for streaming Netflix or Viera Cast (and even Youtube) is also a good addition.

I just got an HDTV, and the best signals are coming from the free local Over The Air (OTA) networks (NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, CW, etc) in 1080i! You don't really need cable. Make a list of the shows or channels you watch the most (subtract all that stupid reality tv programming) and you'll see that you'll be fine.

Since you are a parent, I read a very good article the other day about kids and marketing on TV, if I find it I will link it up, but you wouldn't want to expose your kids to TV after you read it (its pretty sick what corporations are doing).

Also, if you are big on Sports I would look into Free to Air Satellite (FTA).

Om1kron
02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
when I lived on my own I didn't have cable, I just play video games online all day anyway... cable is for my girlfriend. if I have company, we just watch movies and shit.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't watch t.v at all. only time I'll watch t.v would be at my girls house watching her shows and what not. Other than that I live just fine without cable and t.v. you mite catch me watching outer limits every now and then but thats about It. T.v Is gayyyy! does xbox count as watching t.v?

TeamFRAT
02-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Netflix is where its at for myself. Jumped my internet speed up and dumped cable.
I didn't like it much at first with very select on demand movies but for some reason they are having awesome tv shows to watch so i have been digging that!

Good bye cable.

exitspeed
02-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the inspiration guys!

coww-cho!!!!!
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I use this site called OV guide (online video guide) pretty much says what it is. watch old/new movies and catch up on TV series
http://www.ovguide.com/

I'm about to cut cable...i have netflix hooked up to the 360...they have tv shows, movies, even some other stuff
My older bro does this since he's on Xbox live 24/7 he somehow pays for netflix and watches movies whenever

I havent had cable in 2 years.
I have saved alot.

Almost all major networks will have their shows online and streaming.
i watch lost online at ABC or whatever it is, lol.

Also, if you havent used those "redbox" things, they are awesome.
Its $1 to rent a movie per night.
So if you just wanna grab a movie fast, there ya go.

yup Some Networks allow you to watch a few of there series. I never seen a show of community or any for that matter because of the time it airs and now i just catch up a week after if i want
my mom also watches TV on her verizon phone i believe its $10 a month. she's getting a lil carried away though she watches it while were waiting in line or while were eating at ihop

For free Red Box Movies go here Redbox Codes | Inside Redbox (http://www.insideredbox.com/redbox-codes/)
even though its just one dollar to rent one lol but u can rent one and use the promo code to get another free
and you can only use it per email per card atm/debit and credit cards work

ManoNegra
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
No Cable for me either
although I'm considering it since for $25 more on top of my internet bill I can have it
HBO,FX, Speed for F1, Comedy Central and GolTV are the only things I'd be interested in

usually I download whatever I want to watch
I gotta say though that watching shows on a laptop screen sucks
I want to build another PC mainly to hook it up to a TV again

btw, saw the first day of WRC Finland last night

suck it SpeedTV!

exitspeed
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
No Cable for me either
although I'm considering it since for $25 more on top of my internet bill I can have it
HBO,FX, Speed for F1, Comedy Central and GolTV are the only things I'd be interested in

usually I download whatever I want to watch
I gotta say though that watching shows on a laptop screen sucks
I want to build another PC mainly to hook it up to a TV again

btw, saw the first day of WRC Finland last night

suck it SpeedTV!

It starts off as $25 a month and then usually goes up after the initial 'ease it in your ass' period.

240meowth
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM
i don't have a tv in my apartment. whenver i want to watch a game/show i go to the gym. ha ha ha force myself to work for entertainment.

Flicktitty
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Assuming I still have a computer, I could survive without a tv at all.
this, and a solid high speed internet.

Skyn
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
the wonderful world of the web

ManoNegra
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
It starts off as $25 a month and then usually goes up after the initial 'ease it in your ass' period.

Exactly, and I would have to pay extra to get a few of the channels I DO watch.
Also requires a one year contract.

DataXUnknown
02-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I still live with my parents, I pay rent, but I never use the cable TV. Everything I want to watch is online if I really wanted to. But who has time for TV anyways? I'd rather be working on a car, cleaning, eating, hanging out with buddies, drifting, playing a video game, rather than watch TV. I say go without it. Unless you have that whole package thing. Like we have the whole Time Warner package (which sucks ballsy asshole like horsecock in tiny mouth), comes with internet, phone, and cable TV. Like someone said earlier it doesn't even have the speed channel let alone any other good channels.

Oh and my PS3 wirelessly connects to my computer and can play whatever is on my computer anyway so I can watch on the big screen. Movies, Music, Photos, whatevers.

exitspeed
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I wish they would do an ala cart package plan. You could get like local channels plus 10-20-30-etc etc. That would be a lot more convenient.

Future240
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
So this thread has taught me cable is lame, no need for it once I actually start paying for it separately.

SimpleS14
02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
So this thread has taught me cable is lame, no need for it once I actually start paying for it separately.

I'm with you on that one.

stinky_180
02-18-2010, 04:54 PM
i dont have cable, hell i dont even watch tv.. and i have a 37" widescreen lcd tv...

!Zar!
02-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I survive without cable.

To me tv is pointless.

Only interesting thing that comes on, would be the news.

Anything else you can see online.

flip3d
02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I live for infomercials. I'm usually up late and they're the only thing on.

Beach Body has tons of workout programs.
I want a Jack LaLanne juicer.
I have 2 sets of Miracle Blades.
I want to learn more about Cash Flow Notes.

PANGES
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
With the exception of the Olympics, I haven't watched tv in about 2 years. lol. If there's a good show that someone tells me about, I'll just wait till the season is over, torrent it, and watch it on my computer.

driven_
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
we used to get cable for free at my old house. my dad used to have service for 3 years from like 94-97 then we "cancelled" it and my dad used a blackbox.

blackbox went kaput in like 2003. but we still get cable.

we moved out, still own the house. dad doesnt want cable cause its just another bill to pay.

Youtube is where it's at. LOL.

the interwebs has everything

CrimsonRockett
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I've gone through my entire life without cable.

Don't find a need for it.

When the GF and I are bored and there's nothing to watch on TV, we either start playing video games or go online and watch South Park/etc.

Teddy
02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I can't live without iCarly and Spongebob everyday.

flip3d
02-18-2010, 08:53 PM

OMFG! This!

xBlastoisex
02-18-2010, 11:03 PM
xbox will save your life :P

tricky_ab
02-18-2010, 11:13 PM
My very good friend doesn't have cable...So he plays a shit ton of videogames and watches a ton of Bluray movies...For the shows he REALLY likes, he torrents shows that have not been released on bluray...

D.Adams
02-19-2010, 12:06 AM

icarly is the shit

but i havent had cable in over a year. but i have netflix on my xbox the computer to watch house and mercy. i do miss it but what can you do. i use that money for my phone bill.

PANGES
02-19-2010, 12:13 AM
What's iCarly?

D.Adams
02-19-2010, 12:19 AM
What's iCarly?

this

YouTube - iCarly - The Sack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMZ0hdz54M)

Teddy
02-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Dude. Only the best show on Nickelodeon ever!

PANGES
02-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Sigh.. I'm probably gonna get flamed, since it looks like everyone loves it... but that show looks stupid.

coww-cho!!!!!
02-19-2010, 01:07 AM
ah i also remembered when we had a charter "black box" at my house when i was in junior high. i invited some of my friends over so we could hit up the skate park the next morning, and they slept in the living room. Boy they did quickly find the porn channels.

Like any teen would do they went back to the same channels in the morning and my mom had walked in to a couple of kids jerkin it haha
my mom was pissed and told their parents as they got picked up from my house

good ol' days of the black box

DreamN
02-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Just basic TV here as well. I don't watch enough television to really need anything else. Half the times I forget when the shows I do watch even air so I usually watch them once they're online.

yeti303
02-19-2010, 09:03 AM
ive never had cable my whole life still live at home im 18 years old, sucks but im always working on my car anyways lol

ManoNegra
02-19-2010, 09:27 AM

How dare you, you stinky human!!

http://www.btvision.bt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/invader_zim_cms_big.jpg

FlatDrftCJS
02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
all you need to do is get cable internet, then just plug the coaxial cable straight to the tv you should get the 100 basic cable channels.

damn I did not know this. I now have 500+ channels at my disposal for free!

exitspeed
02-19-2010, 01:00 PM
all you need to do is get cable internet, then just plug the coaxial cable straight to the tv you should get the 100 basic cable channels. .

damn I did not know this. I now have 500+ channels at my disposal for free!

Hmmm, I'm gonna see it that works.

Bubbles
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I can't live without iCarly everyday.

OMFG! This!

icarly is the shit

I started watching this maybe two weeks ago and that shit is the bomb.

Spencer.

Matej
02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Surviving without cable?
How can you even call that living?
This is America.
Give me 600 channels or give me death.
It's not about watching them, it's about having them.

upsdude
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
^lol. yeah it's nice having the bundled services and all the channels. but after my baby was born we don't really have -time- to watch it all. and the $175 a month bill was killing us. hell we don't even need the phone since we have our cell's. i'm looking into buying a tivo and just getting basic cable to see if that will cut the costs.

Future240
02-19-2010, 05:20 PM
How dare you, you stinky human!!

http://www.btvision.bt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/invader_zim_cms_big.jpg

Hell yes to this. No show better on Nick before or since.

RNGWLD
02-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Sigh.. I'm probably gonna get flamed, since it looks like everyone loves it... but that show looks stupid.

Dude, my little sisters watch that show. If your friends define cool as liking any of those nickelodeon/disney channel/whatever else hannah montana icarly bs etc show, here's a tip:

get new friends :mepoke:

ronmcdon
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Dude, my little sisters watch that show. If your friends define cool as liking any of those nickelodeon/disney channel/whatever else hannah montana icarly bs etc show, here's a tip:

get new friends :mepoke:

I can't argue with that :ddog:

Gnnr
02-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Hell yes to this. No show better on Nick before or since.

Aaahh Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Ren and Stimpy? Uhh...I'm depressed now...

!Zar!
02-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah, tv WAY back was cool. Like old Nick and WB/Fox saturday/sunday morning cartoons.

Closest I've come to watching tv recently was Jersey Shore.

Matej
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Arnold was a neat show.

Teddy
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Aaahh Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Ren and Stimpy? Uhh...I'm depressed now...

I loved Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy. I still watch them on youtube occasionally.

Yeah, tv WAY back was cool. Like old Nick and WB/Fox saturday/sunday morning cartoons.

Closest I've come to watching tv recently was Jersey Shore.

Ugh Jersey Shore is so stupid.

Hey Arnold was a neat show.

I liked this show too.

Bubbles
02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
3 weeks ago I downloaded Rocko's Modern Life, Talespin, Batman, and Hey Arnold.

So yeah, cool guy coming through.

TheWolf
02-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I still get cable internet here with comcast. My plasma still finds most channels although it's been "disconected". I use a popcorn hour and demonoid/revtt for the rest of what I need.. piss on paying for TV..

wangan_cruiser
02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
i get free comcast service but i barely watch tv.

i can surive

but i dont know about internet man.

Andrew Bohan
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
i haven't had a tv for a year. for 3 years before that, my roommate had a tv but i barely ever watched it.

i don't miss having a tv one bit. i don't even have a couch. it's a lot easier to arrange a living room when you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff.

Dorifto89
02-22-2010, 12:42 AM
You can do it! Just turn the damn thing off!!!

http://data.dump.iof.ru/data/2008_05_20_www_csmonitor_com_news_images_classics_ cartoon11.jpg