PDA

View Full Version : "Bro"

irritatedmax
02-17-2010, 09:53 AM
The term "Bro".

Positive (a name you call your close friends)? Or, negative (a douche)?

It appears to carry a negative connotation on this site. I would like to rectify the situation.

Discuss.

ManoNegra
02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
used to be cool when it was part of skater slang
(at least in my skating days)

now I think of 'roided out MMA meat heads wearing Affliction and Tap-Out clothing...

allntrlundrgrnd
02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
I think it depends on the context if it is negative or positive.

Like if i respond saying "Yeah, bro," I'm probably talking to a friend or acquaintance.

If I say "Aw dude bro totally" its probably in response to someone acting like a "bro" (read tool, d-bag, asshole)

driftsilvias13
02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
BROCAL BRO.

When I think of this term, I instantly think of the white boys with sunglasses and the lifted trucks and big "SKIN" sticker across the back.

Or I think of GLENDALE.

ManoNegra
02-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Socal 909 bro-central

D.Adams
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
BRO can i get a FIST PUMP ..

BRO is like saying hella or hellaflush its played the fuck out

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
bro only reminds me of two things....white trash 909ers with lifted rado's and coked out blonds.......and nieko!

LOOOOVE YOU NIIIEEEKKKOOOO!

LeftNutOfGowd
02-17-2010, 10:08 AM
I like bro hoes :)

cali_love
02-17-2010, 10:08 AM

werd lol soo played out

Soup Nazi
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Cosmo Kramers- Man Bra.

Bro

Future240
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Yea bro here doesn't mean you are a douche. Bra however does.

irritatedmax
02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Haha. This is interesting.

I just call a d-bag a d-bag.

I tend to use bro in a positive light when referencing my buddies. For the record, we don't fit into the affliction/lifted truck/jersey category. Well one kind of does, and we call him a d. Haha.

Iron_Zenki
02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
I have stoped using the word bro around my buddys since i am in the 951 near the 909 area were like we said lifted trucks douches ect.... but here on the forum it does not have the same meaning

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
It all depends on how its said.

And skaters and snowborders say "Brah", btw, lol

I think it pick up some negativity because of the over use by cultures and races that are new to the United States over using it.

ronmcdon
02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I've never warmed up to using the term myself.
However, I see no reason to take offense either.
The term is neither negative or positive, but a little corny/annoying perhaps.

mrmephistopheles
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Socal 909 bro-central

I think you meant to say 9Bro9.

I've never warmed up to using the term myself.

I've taken to using it sardonically, and I fear that one day I might be misinterpreted.

You see, I have a dislike for Bro-trucks, Bro-hos, and all things BRO, know what I mean BRO? Bro-rape is very serious, BRO. Know what I mean, BROTATO? :tardrim:

Honestly though - when people have a tendency to use the word more than once in a 10 minute span (or within an email/PM), I want to pull my hair out and make with the stabbing.

I DO dislike douchebags with lifted trucks that have never (and will never) go off the pavement, and are just lifted to look cool. These BROs with their hats cocked at seemingly random angles, with their TOTALLY SWEET tribal tattoo on their biceps are so oblivious to the fact that their efforts to be cool only make them look more retarded that it actually pains me. :ghey:

Ok, fun rant over. I don't care that much, but I do mock Bros and anyone who can't speak without using the word.

HyperTek
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
its used too much by tools themselves lol

like calling someone a tool lol

iwannaslyde
02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
i use it. i take no offense to it. nor does it mean anything negative lol

spooled240
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
i don't say bro too much..i do say dude and "man" a lot though lol

whassup dude?

whassup man?

ronmcdon
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I think you meant to say 9Bro9.

I've taken to using it sardonically, and I fear that one day I might be misinterpreted.

You see, I have a dislike for Bro-trucks, Bro-hos, and all things BRO, know what I mean BRO? Bro-rape is very serious, BRO. Know what I mean, BROTATO? :tardrim:

Honestly though - when people have a tendency to use the word more than once in a 10 minute span (or within an email/PM), I want to pull my hair out and make with the stabbing.

I DO dislike douchebags with lifted trucks that have never (and will never) go off the pavement, and are just lifted to look cool. These BROs with their hats cocked at seemingly random angles, with their TOTALLY SWEET tribal tattoo on their biceps are so oblivious to the fact that their efforts to be cool only make them look more retarded that it actually pains me. :ghey:

Ok, fun rant over. I don't care that much, but I do mock Bros and anyone who can't speak without using the word.

Well, pretty much using any term (bar out of mockery, as I think you say) is a bit awkward.
I do think there are worse things to say.

My least favorite is
"You know what I'm sayin'"? (over & over).
I know it's not intentional,
but that's about the most terrible thing you can say to insult your audience's intelligence imo.

"Old School" also gets on my nerves.
Come on, at least make some effort to state the decade something is from.
Kids these days will call stuff from the early 00's "Old School".

drift freaq
02-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Hella is not nearly as bad as BRO. Of course Hella is a bay area thing. Anyone else claiming it is trying to jump on it.

Oh and the fist pump bullshit is all MTV and Small minority of people on the east coast inflicted. No one would even know about it if not for MTV and its lowest common denominator Television.

Hellaflush is a actual thing that happened. There are Hellaflush meets and cars its different. You should not even be including it as a comparison.

BRO is not so much played out as just awful uneducated slang terminology. Its very Glendale California. LOL a certain recently arrived ethnic culture loves to use it. In fact my buddy Mike calls Glendale, Brodale.

udon!
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
whenever i use that word i use it by accident, and then i think, wait, did i really just say that?

awesomenick
02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
bro truck - Google Search (http://images.google.com/images?oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=bro+truck&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=2T58S7TtBIyYsgPdxvTKCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQsAQwAA)

The internet speaks.

Phlip
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Whenever I see or hear someone using "bro" my mind usually thinks about Tool Academy. Spiked hair, tribal tattoos, popped collars, that horrible-smelling shit that Abercrombie uses to contaminate a whole 3rd of our mall here.
Luckily, though, I only see these people on the internets and television regularly, so I do not have any reason to act on my urge to catch an assault charge.

DALAZ_68
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
when ever i hear it i think young Cali armenians from burbank/glendale area...

i swear everysentence its bro in the begining and in the end... just tellin it how it is/./

silviaguy240
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
my least favorite is
"you know what i'm sayin'"? (over & over).
I know it's not intentional,
but that's about the most terrible thing you can say to insult your audience's intelligence imo.

naaahhh meeeennnn?

ViciousCesar!
02-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Bro...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/93/l_91115b593be54ad59660a5e5aec11096.jpg

murda-c
02-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Is say brother. I enjoy it, make me happy.

Don't say bro much. but iunno i'm friends with a lot of whiteboys so it happens. Doesn't bother me though.

I call people bruh too.

And dude.

And several words I'll get pinked if i tell you.

Persona
02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I mostly use it sarcastically these days lol.

BustedS13
02-17-2010, 01:59 PM
"bro", "brah", fist bumping, and "clutch" are all used regularly by me, but, you know, ironically
even though i use them all day every day :(

DALAZ_68
02-17-2010, 02:14 PM
now I think of 'roided out MMA meat heads wearing Affliction and Tap-Out clothing...

that too...

Teddy
02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I use it a lot. I don't necessarily mean any harm when I use it. I just think it's funny/annoying.

Devin (wow-thats-a-cool-car) is a bro.

Antihero983
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM

We do? Must be a west coast thing for skaters....

franklin93zx
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
^Have to agree on that one, If anything I say "man" or "mang" depending on who i'm talking to... try to restrain from saying bro

driftsilvias13
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
BROCAL BRO.

When I think of this term, I instantly think of the white boys with sunglasses and the lifted trucks and big "SKIN" sticker across the back.

Or I think of GLENDALE.

BRO is not so much played out as just awful uneducated slang terminology. Its very Glendale California. LOL a certain recently arrived ethnic culture loves to use it. In fact my buddy Mike calls Glendale, Brodale.

when ever i hear it i think young Cali armenians from burbank/glendale area...

Haha you guys definitely know...

YouTube - Armenian Pride- Brow Down - Glendale California (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znf_nqW8IZ8)

SUPERSTAR
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
bro .

ManoNegra
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

YouTube - Armenian Pride- Brow Down - Glendale California (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znf_nqW8IZ8)

Psycho Mike!! lol, old but still good

wh0aitznic0
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Come at me, bro.

Touge Noob S13
02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
It all depends on how its said.

Bros here in the 951 have started picking that word up. For the non-California people, here is a good site that expains the "bro" phenomena.

Flatbiller of the Day: April 2006 (http://flatbiller.com/2006_04_01_archive.html)

midnight zenki
02-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Broseph!....totally negative only used to mock especially when used in friendly conversation, know what I mean broasuras!:mepoke:

Bubbles
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
"bro", "brah", fist bumping, and "clutch" are all used regularly by me, but, you know, ironically
even though i use them all day every day :(

I started saying 'brah' as a joke and now I say it all the time.

HyperTek
02-17-2010, 04:10 PM
who cares, long as they doing something positive for themselves and staying out of trouble, im all for bros lol

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Hella is not nearly as bad as BRO. Of course Hella is a bay area thing. Anyone else claiming it is trying to jump on it.

EDIT.
Urban Dictionary said it came from NorCal,
"It's a contraction of "hell of", and may have originated in Alameda County, California. It was definitely in common use in Berkeley public schools as far back as 1979."

"The farmers from Northern California who settled here a long time ago (probably before the 1950's) were patient and slow people and took everything with ease. When they communicated to explain "VERY" they would say "hell of a" instead of "very" or "a lot". Then the city folks who migrated in later to the Bay Area took the Northern California farmers saying and shortened it to "Hella" instead of "Hell of a."
So in the end the word "hella" comes from the Bay Area city folks. Short and sweet."

Hella and Brah are the typical snowboardy, stoner talk from the early 90's in WA.

Shawn Palmers hair is hella crazy Brah.

seeing Jim Rippey poke those tindy grabs was Hella sick.

And NorCal and Stoner snowboarders seem to somehow share the same vocabulary.....

Teddy
02-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Come at me, bro.

I'm right here. COME AT ME, BRO!

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Not so sure about that.
Unless you were saying "Hella" before the early 90's.
It originally came from snowboarding.

Hella and Brah are the typical snowboardy, stoner talk from the early 90's.

Shawn Palmers hair is hella crazy Brah.

seeing Jim Rippey poke those tindy grabs was Hella sick.

And NorCal and Stoner snowboarders seem to somehow share the same vocabulary.....

yeah I was saying hella in the early 90's....then again i'm from Mooooooodesto! lol. hella norcal. lol

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
yeah I was saying hella in the early 90's....then again i'm from Mooooooodesto! lol. hella norcal. lol

It made me curious, so i looked around and edited my response :)

Although, i dont know how it went from Oakland to the snowboard community, lol.

drift freaq
02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
It made me curious, so i looked around and edited my response :)

Although, i dont know how it went from Oakland to the snowboard community, lol.

see I was hella right. LOL

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM
well we do have mammoth fairly close, tahoe is a couple hours. Whats really funny...is I remember being a kid saying "hecka" cause my father thought "hella" was promoting hell...for some odd reason...once I was in junior high...went from hecka to hella....moved to socal...slowly started hearing it come back...pretty funny.

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
just don't say hella anywhere on the coast south of SF....for some odd reason there was a war going on...lol...i remember driving through a college town...and seeing hella norcal sucks on windows...i was like...wtf?

no slide
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
ive actually picked up saying bro in making fun of one of the managers at work. he says bro in every damn sentence. and i catch myself saying it and im like faaaaaaaak

Element_on_20s
02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Broseidon! Lord of the Brocean.

I have no relevance here.

drift freaq
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
well we do have mammoth fairly close, tahoe is a couple hours. Whats really funny...is I remember being a kid saying "hecka" cause my father thought "hella" was promoting hell...for some odd reason...once I was in junior high...went from hecka to hella....moved to socal...slowly started hearing it come back...pretty funny.

I grew up from the age of ten in Palo Alto, lived in San Francisco for 9 years and Hecka was being used by the kids there. Basically I have a given right to use Hella because I am technically a bay area peeps even though I live in socal. LOL

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I grew up from the age of ten in Palo Alto, lived in San Francisco for 9 years and Hecka was being used by the kids there. Basically I have a given right to use Hella because I am technically a bay area peeps even though I live in socal. LOL

yeah....modesto from age 5 till graduating highschool in 2003....hella is dropped there like twice every sentence.

slothonaleash
02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
The second I hear any variation of the word "bro" come out of someone's mouth, I immediately lose large amounts of respect for them. Maybe I'm bitter; maybe I'm the douchebag. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Except brotato. brotato is just fine.

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
The second I hear any variation of the word "bro" come out of someone's mouth, I immediately lose large amounts of respect for them. Maybe I'm bitter; maybe I'm the douchebag. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Except brotato. brotato is just fine.

does this mean bromato is okay too? lol:ghey:

SochBAT
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
I occasionally use bro, for friends.

I use brotha for closer folks

I use Nicknames for my BFFs.

YEA! BFFs! YAY!

YoungGun
02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
ONE SHOT, kid.

wh0aitznic0
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Get control of your girl, bro.

Come At Me Bro - Fight Ronnie from the Jersey Shore (http://www.comeatmebro.com/)

240SX714
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
The term "Bro".

Positive (a name you call your close friends)? Or, negative (a douche)?

It appears to carry a negative connotation on this site. I would like to rectify the situation.

Discuss.

You want to DO WHAT to the situation? You're sick!

lok
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Only kind of "Bro"

YouTube - Bro Rape: A Newsline Investigative Report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8)

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
So is there a certain kind of attire most "bro's" wear?

I can think of a couple Zilvia members, lol.

JayDee M Rolly
02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
i use bro towards friends

i also use bro to refer to 9bro9ners and san bronadino.

i use bro alot, not sure why...
So is there a certain kind of attire most "bro's" wear?
affliction, tapout, so-cal, srh... list goes on lol.

irritatedmax
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
This is really entertaining. I never knew there was such a Cali Bro (909 not all Cali) Phenomenon. Explains the animosity. Haha.

In my mind, when a buddy is your wingman and entertains the fat girl, he is a bro. You can see my confusion.

2010: Taking "Bro" back.

captainfalco
02-18-2010, 05:18 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this site yet
http://www.broslikethissite.com/

jzepol1985
02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
If you want to bro it up come out to Clovis ca right next to Fresno.

They got the trucks, the stickers, the crooked hats, and the bro hoes.

Bubbles
02-18-2010, 07:40 AM
I may bro it up now and again but you will NEVER catch me using 'hella.'

Gotta have standards.

DALAZ_68
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM

LOL^

Broseph!....totally negative only used to mock especially when used in friendly conversation, know what I mean broasuras!:mepoke:

lol

what about:
Moded - being emo
ear hustlin - Listening to someones private conversation

^ both current with Norcal girls...
fucking annoying...lol

cserrano86
02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Or I think of GLENDALE.
Hahaha... I think of GlenDALE!! too...

deolio
02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
i use it in a joking way with friends. or when someone is bothering me. i say "man" a lot more.

drift freaq
02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
I may bro it up now and again but you will NEVER catch me using 'hella.'

Gotta have standards.

standards? I would say more like lack there of. LOL shit its worse using Bro than Hella

Bro= raised truck dumb ass hick and or recent immigrant who thinks he is a gansta rappa

Hella= a phrase people sometimes use to say mean cool

Glad to see you put yourself in first catagory, I figured you were in it.

lawrenceyang
02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this site yet
http://www.broslikethissite.com/

HAHAHAHA one of my favorite sites to laugh at. also BRO alert at UCI of all places. i thought i would never see the day

mrmephistopheles
02-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I say 'dude' WAYYY too much.

I only started it when I was in the Marine Corps to annoy the Sgt. I worked for.
Jokes on me, I guess.

WanganRunner
02-19-2010, 06:37 AM

^^
Yes, this, and a few other unsavory subcultures.

irritatedmax
02-19-2010, 06:58 AM
I say 'dude' WAYYY too much.

I only started it when I was in the Marine Corps to annoy the Sgt. I worked for.
Jokes on me, I guess.

Yeah, I use "dude" and "man" a lot. Both are solid.

Future240
02-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Whenever I see or hear someone using "bro" my mind usually thinks about Tool Academy. Spiked hair, tribal tattoos, popped collars, that horrible-smelling shit that Abercrombie uses to contaminate a whole 3rd of our mall here.
Luckily, though, I only see these people on the internets and television regularly, so I do not have any reason to act on my urge to catch an assault charge.

What you wanna go bro?!! Bro I will be in NC this weekend bro. We can fucking go bro!:mephfawk:

Yeah, I use "dude" and "man" a lot. Both are solid.

Bro, dude, man, are used interchangeably with one another by me and a lot of people in my area of the USA. No geling or fist pumping here.

Edgar
02-19-2010, 10:04 AM
http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/3375/original/cool-story-bro.jpg

keistyle
02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
"Bro" reminds me of socal-drift.

Along with all the spooning that goes on there.

Bubbles
02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
yadda yadda yadda

U mad brah?

ZX88
02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
I have 40 bros

I am bro-tron 5000
do you understand brah-nizzle

Matej
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
You bros are taking the term 'bro' too seriously. 'Bro' is the new 'dude.'

http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2009/10/the-melting-pot-bro-theory.html

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/hipsterrunoff/photographs/IMG_7988-1.jpg

In the above photo, you can see many different bro-genres present in the personal brand of the bro:

California Style Bro: his hair seems like he has ‘been chillin at the beach
Brah Bro: Sweet lid that is tilted at a bro-like angle
AltBro: Sweet ‘energetic’ aura, always photographed as if he is attending an electro party, neon-ish plaid shirt
SportsBro + CollegeBro: Football t-shirt & School spirit t-shirt
PartyBro + College Bro: ‘double fisting’, ‘bitches.’
Earring-wearing Bro: He is wearing diamond stud.

HAWAII
02-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I use it a lot but I say "brah" coz I was surrounded by it from where I was from. I take no offfense and I do not say it to be mean to someone. It's just how we are raised.

I hate it when people say "Bomb" i.e. Thai food is "Bomb" <~~~WTFBBQ??!?!

wh0aitznic0
02-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Honestly, I find myself saying "bro" much more after this thread.

240sxChillen
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh119/Sannaan/dont-taze-me-bro-demotivational-pos.jpg

Mi Beardo es Loco
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020x_iIFLTQ0AkvejzbkF/SIG=1273dpfn2/EXP=1266866687/**http%3a//socaltrucks.com/forsale2/photos/dsc02009.jpg
BroDozer

R_G
02-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I did not know that socal people said bro. I always thought it was a norcal thing. Some norcal people do say Hella but not as much as when i was in socal. If u guys want to hear bro every 5 seconds go hang out with dirt bike peps haha. Whats up with people and the shocker ? lol

dpak
02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
i just realized letti says "chill out bro" in the original fast and the furious.. XD

drift freaq
02-21-2010, 10:38 PM
U mad brah?

Not in the least. I just love pointing out how much of a dumb fuck you tend to be.

Bubbles
02-22-2010, 12:31 PM
haha

haahhaaahaaaaaaaa

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

JeremyR
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
whoa.. WHOA
you bro's hella need to chill out.

fckillerbee
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Not in the least. I just love pointing out how much of a dumb fuck you tend to be.

WIN :l101:

msglngth

irritatedmax
02-22-2010, 08:35 PM
whoa.. WHOA
you bro's hella need to chill out.

Let it happen, man. It's a BROmance. He's playing hard to get.

jzepol1985
02-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Let it happen, man. It's a BROmance. He's playing hard to get.:tardrim:

:keke::keke::keke::keke::keke::keke::keke::keke::k eke::keke::keke::keke::keke:

drift freaq
02-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Let it happen, man. It's a BROmance. He's playing hard to get.

Oh and your trying to rectify the situation with comments like above. You're about as dumb as the term and Bubbles combined.

I.E. get over it, its got a negative connotation, period!

irritatedmax
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh and your trying to rectify the situation with comments like above. You're about as dumb as the term and Bubbles combined.

I.E. get over it, its got a negative connotation, period!

Haha. Come on, man. It was funny.

And, I disagree. Connotation appears to be region specific.

murda-c
02-22-2010, 10:35 PM
You guys are all wrong.

Bro is just something white people say.

White people call me bro all the time.

Bubbles
02-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I just love pointing out how much of a dumb fuck you tend to be.

Since you love it so much, go ahead and do it.

wh0aitznic0
02-23-2010, 12:23 AM
go ahead and do it.

Do it.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

TeamFRAT
02-23-2010, 07:20 AM
http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/red-pineapple-express.png

What's up bromosexual's

VNG704
02-23-2010, 07:23 AM
never used it.