PDA

View Full Version : Top secret drum corps

sleep
02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Most badass thing i have seen in awhile
http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drumpics31/tiopsecret50976.jpg
Top Secret Drum Corps Basel Switzerland (http://www.drummerworld.com/watchlistdrummers/Top_Secret_Drum_Corps.html)

SimpleS14
02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Not bad, takes quite some skill to do a routine like that for six minutes. Choreography looked good and the fire sticks at the end of one of the videos was a nice touch.

deolio
02-14-2010, 04:42 PM
that was sick

sickstatus
02-14-2010, 04:54 PM
haha very impressive i must say. =p

ericcastro
02-14-2010, 05:54 PM
I thought this was a thread for that independent movie or whatever.

Where the kid has to escape his ghetto city life and go with this band of drumers in the mountains or something................

ayuaddict
02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
that was pretty nifty.

RNGWLD
02-14-2010, 10:38 PM
SICK (even if a little too contemporary)

One day I'll make it out to the Edinburgh tatoo and this one. And the Mehter Marsali in Constantinople as well!
Already made it to the Kaltenberger Ritterturnier:fawkd:

too bad they are protestants...but at least they are not Dutch :wiggle:

S14_Kouki
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Wow that was amazing

DP-AE86
02-14-2010, 11:15 PM
that was really cool. i should have continued drumline and onto drum corps.

simmode1
02-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I thought this was a thread for that independent movie or whatever.

Where the kid has to escape his ghetto city life and go with this band of drumers in the mountains...

... of Japan, where he meets and trains with Smoky Nagata of Top Secret.

That's what I was thinking too... O.o

innovation
02-15-2010, 12:16 AM
haha that was nice. I did drumline in high school. I was Bass for Ayala High School. If you guys like drum corp you should like the Blue Devils. Practically all the alum from Ayala end up going there.

Blue Devils Warm Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNPL-x84srs)

DP-AE86
02-15-2010, 01:20 AM
did Ayala ever do SCSBOA? i dont remember any of the bands we've ever competed against besides Arcadia (or people in my band called them the ocean of death)

innovation
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Naw we did WBA and BOA.

innovation
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Arcadia was in a lower division then us, when it came to winter they were Open class and we were World. Different skill level is the only difference.

eli_eli
02-16-2010, 02:43 AM
well its the Switzerland army, they have plenty time on their hands to practice lol...but very very cool

sleep
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
well its the switzerland army, they have plenty time on their hands to practice lol...but very very cool

*ahem................................

top secret drum corps is a precision drum corps based in basel, switzerland.

With 25 drummers and colorguard members, the corps became famous for its demanding six-minute routine performed at the edinburgh tattoo in 2003.

With its invitation to edinburgh, top secret became one of the first non-military, non-british commonwealth acts to perform on the esplanade at edinburgh castle.

Since its success in 2003, top secret was invited to return to edinburgh in 2006 with a new and improved routine. They were invited a third time in 2009. Under the leadership of erik julliard, the band is also responsible for the founding of the basel tattoo, a military tattoo show similar to the edinburgh military tattoo, now held annually in basel.

Top secret has its roots in the rich drumming traditions of the band's home city, basel, switzerland, which is known for its annual carnival called fasnacht. The city is said to have over 3,000 active drummers at any one time. These drummers perform at traditional events such as fasnacht, the vogel gryff, charivari, and various parades associated with the city's guilds. A trommelkonig (drummer king) competition is also held every year by the city's fasnacht committee.

Basel drumming style is militaristic, derived from the military drumming drills of swiss soldiers dating back to the middle ages. Top secret in many ways adheres to the military nature of basel drumming, but differs in many respects. Its drummers play at a much faster rate. Also, while traditional basel drumming is somber and favors traditional marching tunes (accompanied by fifes during the fasnacht), top secret's drumming style is upbeat and playful. Segments of their routines feature a "rhumba", a drummer's duel, drumstick juggling, exploding flagpoles, and other humorous details. Perhaps because of their 18th century uniforms and precision work, the band is often referred to a military band or a part of the swiss army, but it is not affiliated with any military unit.

Top secret's members are highly dedicated drummers with diverse day jobs -bankers, civil servants, factory workers, etc. They give up their free time to practice nearly every day of the year. Due to the demanding nature of the work, its membership is frequently changing.