PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Hell!!!

fufanu180
02-13-2010, 02:01 PM
The run down:
Just bought another Nissan 240SX but this one has an SR20. I bought it to swap the motors with my original 240 and then sell the other one. The motor runs like a champ but the idiot, who originally did the motor swap, never put nuts on the bolts that connect the output shaft of the transmission to the drive shaft, which in turn caused major vibrations and the output seal is now leaking like a mother.

I'm in the process now of taking just the extension of the transmission or I guess the "gear box" out and putting in a new seal while also checking all the other components to make sure they are A okay.

The Problem:
I have taken the drive shaft off and cross member along with all the bolts I'm guessing that holds it to the larger part of the transmission but the thing won't come off.

Is there anybody who has messed with the transmissions...(stupid question)...Actually is there anybody willing to give me some helpful information on how to get it off?

Anything will help. :bow:

Thanks in advance guys.

fufanu180
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

greenman100
02-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't know if you can take the tailshaft off with the transmission stil installed. You really should pull the transmission and swap it with a known good tranny - they're only about $100.

Jakob
02-15-2010, 06:57 AM
just what exactly are you trying to do? if you want to pull the transmission from the engine just remove all the bolts from the engine block, remove driveshaft, transmission crossmember, shifter and clutch slave cylinder, drain the tranny fluid and then pull. use a huge pry bar between bellhousing and engine if it gets tough and it should come off.

to me it sounds like you are trying to remove the transmission casing while it is on the car?!

fufanu180
02-15-2010, 09:12 AM
The shaft coming out of the tranny is splined right? and the drive shaft connects to some sort of rubber mount that has 6 bolts and then that buttons up to the splined shaft from the tranny. I have taken off the nuts for those 6 bolts and pulled the drive shaft but i still can't get to the seal. Is it possible that the fitting that slides onto the transmission shaft might have been pressed in there? It is terribly hard to get off...I'm still trying.

Jakob
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
ahh your talking about the seal ok. yea those seals sit in there very tight. you should be able to pry it out with a big ass screw driver or try to twist it by using a screwdriver on one side and tapping it with a hammer so you can use pliers to pull it out.
there are seal remover tools like this:
https://mercedessource.com/files/imagefield/product/sealouttool.jpg

dont give up, seals are a major pita to remove lol.
just do what needs to be done, but carefully not to scratch the surrounding metal or the new seal wont sit in there properly

fufanu180
02-15-2010, 02:30 PM
ahh your talking about the seal ok. yea those seals sit in there very tight. you should be able to pry it out with a big ass screw driver or try to twist it by using a screwdriver on one side and tapping it with a hammer so you can use pliers to pull it out.

just do what needs to be done, but carefully not to scratch the surrounding metal or the new seal wont sit in there properly

the rear seal is hard to get out?

mine spins and slides up and down the splinned shaft. But what I can't get off in order to get to the seal is the splinned attachment that slides onto the end of the transmission shaft.

The part that holds the dust cover I guess.

Yeah the seal isn't the problem right now it's the splined peice that I guess slides onto the transmission shaft.

It's so frustrating trying to explain it.

Nismo 240
02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
If you are talking about yoke you should be able to drop the drive shaft off of the rearend and just pull it off if you cant try to tap it out with a rubber hammer.

fufanu180
02-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Yes if the yoke is the peice that slides onto the splinned end of the tranny then yes that is what won't come off. But I can't get it off at all...used a hammer...not a rubber one...and it still didn't come off.

jinesz32
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
pretty easy to remove the seal on a lift removed with a screwdriver =P. good luck bro.

Joey89s13
02-15-2010, 03:00 PM
omg i had a whole write up i jsut did then something happened and it all got erased FUCK

ok here we go again

to get the drive shaft out.. unbolt it from the diff using a 14 wrench. then unbolt the mount that hold the beearing in place.. then wiggle that shit out.. should come out fairly easy but after you give it a good tug lol.

to get the tranny off.. drain all the oil. unbolt the bellhousing and starter.. unbolt the trannymount crossmember.. get a jack under the tranny so it wont fall on the floor.. and start wiggling the tranny out slowly.. when it starts to detach from the motor keep pulling it out till you cant any more and then start lowering the jack.. slowly.. once you get that done. repeat in reverse order.

to do the seals be careful not to damage the edges where the seal sits.. and also dont damage the seal itself.. use something of the same diameter that you can hammer as to not hammer the seal itself..

hope this helps..

ive done a few tranny swaps on my car by myself after the first couple times its cake lol

good luck

Jakob
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
oh oops im sorry. yea it really is hard to explain and understand lol
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/sxj6151/NICO/IMG_7453.jpg

you are talking about this right? the rubber bushing is gone and that one piece that bolts to the rubber bushing and slides into the transmission is stuck and you cant get it out? is that the problem?

if that is the case then it could be that the splines are all damaged because that shiney part usually just slides in and out easily.

i didnt knew you were talking about an s13 and i totally forgot that you guys in america have that rubber bushing in your driveshafts....

fufanu180
02-15-2010, 08:57 PM
omg i had a whole write up i jsut did then something happened and it all got erased FUCK

ok here we go again

to get the drive shaft out.. unbolt it from the diff using a 14 wrench. then unbolt the mount that hold the beearing in place.. then wiggle that shit out.. should come out fairly easy but after you give it a good tug lol.

to get the tranny off.. drain all the oil. unbolt the bellhousing and starter.. unbolt the trannymount crossmember.. get a jack under the tranny so it wont fall on the floor.. and start wiggling the tranny out slowly.. when it starts to detach from the motor keep pulling it out till you cant any more and then start lowering the jack.. slowly.. once you get that done. repeat in reverse order.

to do the seals be careful not to damage the edges where the seal sits.. and also dont damage the seal itself.. use something of the same diameter that you can hammer as to not hammer the seal itself..

hope this helps..

ive done a few tranny swaps on my car by myself after the first couple times its cake lol

good luck

Thank you. I believe I might drop the whole transmission. How much is a rebuild kit? Or would it just be easier to find a tranny that has already been rebuilt?

oh oops im sorry. yea it really is hard to explain and understand lol
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/sxj6151/NICO/IMG_7453.jpg

you are talking about this right? the rubber bushing is gone and that one piece that bolts to the rubber bushing and slides into the transmission is stuck and you cant get it out? is that the problem?

if that is the case then it could be that the splines are all damaged because that shiney part usually just slides in and out easily.

i didnt knew you were talking about an s13 and i totally forgot that you guys in america have that rubber bushing in your driveshafts....

Finally!! That is exactly what is stuck. So the teeth are probably damaged? I have a feeling that they didn't fit up quite right and somebody just decided to jam it in there. But now I have hope. I guess i'll just try to beat the crap out of it until it comes off...without damaging anything of course.

Thank you guys both. This has been very helpful. I gave up for about a day because it just seemed impossible to get off but now I think I have an idea. Thanks again for all the help. =D

fufanu180
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Is the length of the 5speed transmission different from the length of the 6speed transmission that normally comes with the sr20?

Jakob
02-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Is the length of the 5speed transmission different from the length of the 6speed transmission that normally comes with the sr20?

you talk about the s15 sr20 right? because most of them come with a 5 speed tranny. i dont know for sure, but i know that nismo made a 6speed gearbox for s13 and s14s and it comes with a special driveshaft so i would say yes its not the same size as the 5 speeds, but i am not sure about this

fufanu180
02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
you talk about the s15 sr20 right? because most of them come with a 5 speed tranny. i dont know for sure, but i know that nismo made a 6speed gearbox for s13 and s14s and it comes with a special driveshaft so i would say yes its not the same size as the 5 speeds, but i am not sure about this

I believe it's just the s13 redtop. The only reason why I ask is because the yoke that slides onto the transmission end is sticking out about an inch to an inch and a half but I would think that if it is this far out that it would be easy enough to get off but that thing is stuck like it's welded on.

fufanu180
02-18-2010, 02:09 PM
I went to Harbor Frieght today and bought a 2 ton come-along and some chains and used it on the tranny today and still nothing budged. I'm completely stumped.

eusebvie
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM

just do what needs to be done, but carefully not to scratch the surrounding metal or the new seal wont sit in there properlyI bought this a few days ago thinking it would simplify things on my 71C (NA z31 tranny) and it really hasnt. I've been trying everything besides screwing in two wood screws because of the cover at the back. Are there any other tricks? I did have trouble with my rear main seal, but I've tried getting this output shaft seal out for like a week under the car. :bash:

fufanu180
02-19-2010, 09:55 AM
does anybody have an idea what is wrong?

it is as if the damn things is welded on.

Jakob
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
well like i said it should slide out without using any force... maybe your mainshaft splines are all fucked up, i used to have that problem but i did get the driveshaft out because my mainshaft snapped lol... i guess because of all the vibrations its not sitting straight and that causes it to bind.

have you tried taking two prybars on opposite sites and just yank it out ? you know kinda like reassembling a pulling tool.

your best bet would be to source a new tranny and a new yoke because both of your parts wont be reusable, except you want to replace the whole mainshaft which would include a tranny rebuild. it would be cheaper just to get a replacement.

fufanu180
02-19-2010, 02:30 PM
That's what I figured. It seems as if this thing is screwed. If I can't get this yoke off then I can't replace the seal. I guess I'll just head to a junk yard and buy a tranny off of a junked 240. I guess my question now is, when buying a used tranny what do you look for? I couldn't imagine a car, that had roughly 100K on it and was just a DD, could have much wear and tear on the transmission.

Jakob
02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
spin the input shaft and check for noises, or play. try shifting it.
if possible take a look at the oil drain plug, if it has metal attached to it (its magnetic)

if it looks like this don't buy it lol
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/da_russian_one/IMG_0990.jpg

fufanu180
02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Perfect. Thanks a lot this will definitely help.

fufanu180
02-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Perfect. Thanks a lot this will help me tremendously.