PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GT-R Owner Voids Warranty, Grenades $36K Engine [Blown Engines]

ZilviaBot
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
02-01-2010 10:00 AM

A member over at NAGTROC (http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946&st=0) made the mistake of modifying his Nissan GT-R (http://jalopnik.com/tag/nissangtr/) engine while it was still under its temperamental warranty (http://jalopnik.com/5201918/2010-gt+r-warranty-voided-for-denying-nissan-access-to-your-black-box-data). So, when he then broke the cylinder block, he was completely screwed. How it happened, plus pictures, below.

If you'll remember, Nissan's already a bit finicky when it comes to the warranty on the GT-R. But once you start modifying the car in any way — that already-less-than-stellar warranty becomes about as useful as poison ivy when you're looking to wipe your ass.

You can read his description of what happened below and share your theory. For what's it's worth, he thinks he ran the wrong software for the fuel he was putting in his car in Lebanon:

after less than a month driving my GTR after my perfect gearbox rebuilt, i was cruising today on 3rd gear, then i decided to shift to second gear to overtake a car, i down shifted , car accelerates like a missile, then 1 k before cutoff i hear a uninterupted sound like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr coming from the engine, and some smoke going out of the engine, i look at the oil pressure and oil light in dash they are ok , i look in my rear view mirror and i see oil , i shift to neutral shut down the car and go to the side of the road to stop. i get down of the car open the engine from where smoke is going out, and i see all the oil under the car... at that point i was CONVINCED its an oil pipe that is broken, i called road service to get towed, go to the workshop, and... guess what............ broken cylinder block...... something seems to have broken on the crank, or piston or pushrods and made a big mess..the block is broken on both sides, i guess the broken part blew off left then right.. i was running on AP stage 2 97 version 2.0

the bad news:
- i got AP , Y pipe and 5zigen, car is already blacklisted and out of warranty :( :(
-new engine is 55,000 us$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!
-i'm really really pissed
-i hate nissan management!
-we don't know yet the extent of the damage inside the engine

the only good news:
unlike the GR6, nissan sells engine parts and not only complete assembly.. otherwise i would put fuel on the car and burn it in front of the nissan showroom

here is some pics, can anyone share any experience with the engine? any thoughts what could have happened? is there is any other cases with broken cylinders blocks???? i cant believe that the AP software upgrade could have blow off the engine.. these engines should support more than 70hp of upgraded power IMO

im in love with the gtr but i HATE nissan

For the record — the owner checked with a dealership and a new engine costs closer to $36K.

the fuel we have in lebanon is 98 octane RON while in the US its 93 AKI and not RON. when i downloaded the new AP software , i had to choose the country, and since my GTR is a US spec car, i choosed USJDM software and i ran on stage 2 97 octane software. the 97 octane of the US maps is AKI while i was running 98 octane RON. and 98 octane RON appears to be less than 93 octane AKI... timing settings should have been different... i should have stayed on version 1.08B

[NAGTROC (http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946&st=0)]

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/gt-r_engine_1.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/gt-r_engine_2.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/gt-r_engine_3.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/gt-r_engine_4.jpg

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo (http://feeds.gawker.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?a=g6ZmeY5MWfs:P2V2o7Xg6nY:H0mrP-F8Qgo) http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA (http://feeds.gawker.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?a=g6ZmeY5MWfs:P2V2o7Xg6nY:yIl2AUoC8zA) http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?i=g6ZmeY5MWfs:P2V2o7Xg6nY:D7DqB2pKExk (http://feeds.gawker.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?a=g6ZmeY5MWfs:P2V2o7Xg6nY:D7DqB2pKExk) http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?i=g6ZmeY5MWfs:P2V2o7Xg6nY:V_sGLiPBpWU (http://feeds.gawker.com/~ff/jalopnik/full?a=g6ZmeY5MWfs:P2V2o7Xg6nY:V_sGLiPBpWU)
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/jalopnik/full/~4/g6ZmeY5MWfs

More... (http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/jalopnik/full/~3/g6ZmeY5MWfs/)

slider2828
02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Its cause the owner is stupid that is why the warranty is void. No way in hell a car company will cover a modified car.... stupid.

ronmcdon
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Well some warranties are more lax than others.
I've been lucky with Mitsu & Subaru.
However, messing with engine management when you don't know what you're doing is unforgivable.

36k for the block, or 55k for the entire engine is pretty pricey though.
This is a car I'd be afraid to own.
You damage anything, and you know the parts are going to hurt your wallet bad.

ESmorz
02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Time for a built SR.

ultimateforce
02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Time for a built SR.

He's going to need the power of a KA-T to be sure.

spooled240
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
JB weld, it works wonders lol

I LUV MY S13
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
hell yah KA-T

drift freaq
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
stupid ass owner.

GTR's are screaming fast out of the Box. Crackup about consumers is they modify an engine and when it blows up they cry foul. Fuck if it was a race car they would be like ah shit we made a mistake and it grenaded. Ok build another engine.

Fucking stupid ass consumers play with shit and then expect it to be covered. Lame ass owner in my opinion.

Oh and any crying about the cost of that engine? Its a fucking hand built engine to extreme specs. Oh and dipshit was crying about the fact that he leaned the shit out of it and it went boom. LOL of course it can handle high horsepower if you don't lean the daylights out of it with the wrong fuel curves. LOL

slider2828
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe he should take himself out to the nissan dealer and torch himself in front of them.....

epics13
02-02-2010, 01:08 PM

lol i got some lmk

NismoDriverS13
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
^haha agreed!

that car is a beast already and i drove one......till this day i still cant believe how awesome the car is out of the box!!!

second of all if u got money to buy a GTR and then mod it, then u should have money to fix it........Idiot!

IHasLongTorso
02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
fucking ass hat. Id honestly put an rb in it if hes not putting a new motor in.

20 bucks say this fucktard puts a new motor in it and does the same thing. lol

AWDJosh
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe he should take himself out to the nissan dealer and torch himself in front of them.....

LOL!

it was owners fault for running the wrong fuel map...

[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
He really didn't need an AP. All you need straight from the factory is some r. comp tires and you should be set for the track.

homeslicej2
02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
LOL
Owner says, "hey nissan, I modded my new car and ran incorrect fuel/fuel maps, it went boom. I can haz nother? no, well you guys suck" :nono:

nismo tuned s14
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
fucking ass hat. Id honestly put an rb in it if hes not putting a new motor in.

An RB26DETT would be bad ass in the R35 IMO. Highly modded, of course.

ATLspeed
02-02-2010, 08:43 PM
He should run a rb26 and then slap a sr and a ka as turbos on it lol, it'll have like 53643hp and chuck norris for tq lol

RB24_S14
02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah right he needs a built RB30DETT. How the Australians do it =] With 1000 Elephant power.

blu808
02-03-2010, 03:15 AM
He needs to buy a ford and stay away from Nissans

marv670
02-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Yeah right he needs a built RB30DETT. How the Australians do it =] With 1000 Elephant power.
elephant power FTW! new sig lol

smoothcoupe
02-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Time for a built SR.

:barf: SR in GTR= worst idea ever. RB26DETT Z2 spec motor on that trans would kick ass!!

fliprayzin240sx
02-03-2010, 07:14 AM
An RB26DETT would be bad ass in the R35 IMO. Highly modded, of course.

No, I'm a believer of the VQ. I've seen a stock GTR walk on a 450whp lighter R32 GTR. The only advantage an RB26 have over the VQ is that alot of tuners know the ins/outs of an RB26, there aint a whole lot of surprises left with the RB when you tune/mod it.

ultimateforce
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
That's why it'd be bad-ass to put a RB26DETT in an already ruined GT-R. No need to be a ground breaker, well, past actually doing the swap its self.

ZilviaKid
02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
it needs an ls6.

fuck an rb. dumb ass idea

murda-c
02-03-2010, 02:52 PM
put a twin turbo vh45 in there.

RB24_S14
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
He needs to buy a ford and stay away from Nissans

:wtf: What are you doing here then? lol woahh. Ford ?:ghey:.

slider2828
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Dude I always loved your avatar... FUTURAMA!!!! Mind control frog siiiick.....

LOL

VH45 twin turbo is like the SuperGT engines lol....

Pure_JDM
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Throw a twin turboed LSX in it and call it a day. Would actually sound like a racecar then... Stock GTRs at the track need a nut check. Didn't even hear it go down the track. But it still hauled ass, haha. Atleast with any of the motor swaps mentioned, you could tune it yourself... unlike the wells fargo computer in the gtr.

K_style
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
dumb ass.. period.

well he should be able to afford repair cost.. he bought GTR... LOL

AWDJosh
02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Throw a twin turboed LSX in it and call it a day. Would actually sound like a racecar then... Stock GTRs at the track need a nut check. Didn't even hear it go down the track. But it still hauled ass, haha. Atleast with any of the motor swaps mentioned, you could tune it yourself... unlike the wells fargo computer in the gtr.

a ls3, ls6, or lq9 would do it justice with some decent sized twins :cool:

nismo tuned s14
02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
No, I'm a believer of the VQ. I've seen a stock GTR walk on a 450whp lighter R32 GTR. The only advantage an RB26 have over the VQ is that alot of tuners know the ins/outs of an RB26, there aint a whole lot of surprises left with the RB when you tune/mod it.

Yeah, a VQ would also be a great choice. I've seen a few VQs lately with crazy amounts of power.

MikeisNissan
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
"becomes about as useful as poison ivy when you're looking to wipe your ass." Lmao zilviabot!

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-04-2010, 01:59 AM
a ls3, ls6, or lq9 would do it justice with some decent sized twins :cool:

Ls Swapped 240's and other crap are funny. Yap yap yap about torque blah blah and still get beat by my lil ol 1.3L small street port 13b. stock turbo boosting 12. Sigh Ls Is crap! That would be the worst engine to put In a GTR. Obviously the Sr and Ka-t suggestion were jokes.

You want a badd ass swap thats gonna take some deeeeeeeep pockets. Drop a 26b In the bitch 4-ROTOR Powa! Awd 4-ROTOR. hmmmmmmmm

Chrischeezer
02-04-2010, 02:37 AM
i would of set the thing on fire.. let insurance deal with it,

RHDRPS13
02-04-2010, 03:40 AM
haha the nerve of some people stupidity is not covered under warranty sorry

slider2828
02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Ls Swapped 240's and other crap are funny. Yap yap yap about torque blah blah and still get beat by my lil ol 1.3L small street port 13b. stock turbo boosting 12. Sigh Ls Is crap! That would be the worst engine to put In a GTR. Obviously the Sr and Ka-t suggestion were jokes.

You want a badd ass swap thats gonna take some deeeeeeeep pockets. Drop a 26b In the bitch 4-ROTOR Powa! Awd 4-ROTOR. hmmmmmmmm

Man so retarded.... ergh you know that you cannot compare rotary litre size to piston litre size. In a true comparison of chamber size and combustion throughput, 1.3 litre rotary is equivalent to a 2.6 litre piston engine... Just so you know..... That is only in terms of a 2 rotor 1.3 litre.... You are obviously sizing up much more when you go 20b or a 26b.....

Soup Nazi
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Man so retarded.... ergh you know that you cannot compare rotary litre size to piston litre size. In a true comparison of chamber size and combustion throughput, 1.3 litre rotary is equivalent to a 2.6 litre piston engine... Just so you know..... That is only in terms of a 2 rotor 1.3 litre.... You are obviously sizing up much more when you go 20b or a 26b.....

Ah beat me too it. Glad someone said it.

blu808
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
:wtf: What are you doing here then? lol woahh. Ford ?:ghey:.

I was saying dumb ass people like the owner should go buy a Ford so they won't ruin anymore Nissans.

:fart:

tricky_ab
02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
stupid ass owner.

GTR's are screaming fast out of the Box. Crackup about consumers is they modify an engine and when it blows up they cry foul. Fuck if it was a race car they would be like ah shit we made a mistake and it grenaded. Ok build another engine.

Fucking stupid ass consumers play with shit and then expect it to be covered. Lame ass owner in my opinion.

Oh and any crying about the cost of that engine? Its a fucking hand built engine to extreme specs. Oh and dipshit was crying about the fact that he leaned the shit out of it and it went boom. LOL of course it can handle high horsepower if you don't lean the daylights out of it with the wrong fuel curves. LOL

Agreed, he modded the car so he should have known what he was getting himself into if something were to go wrong!

And the price of the engine that he was going on about is justified if you've seen the work that goes into it...What a bloody tosser this guy is...

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Yes I do know that. 3 combustion per rotor = 6 just like a 6 cylinder. I was mainly talking about the torque figures. my 13b has lack of torque and ls engines have alot of torque but still get shitted on. I don't like ls engines. That's the new ultimate fan boy swap.

slider2828
02-04-2010, 11:39 PM
^^ For realz? How much torque and HP... I would love to see dyno graphs of your 13b.... Just remember new LS engines would last probably a lot longer than your 13b that overheats, eat oil, emit crap in the air and eventually blow an apex seal.... what is the typical rebuild of a modifie 13b? 30k miles?

Orandaman
02-05-2010, 07:10 AM
X1000

msglngth

Z-Tuned
02-05-2010, 07:41 AM
i would of set the thing on fire.. let insurance deal with it,

Haha LOL, let insurance deal with it.

I know a guy that just had his blown Supercharged SRT-8 Jeep motor covered...under insurance. Dealer said F-U but he told the insurnce company he hit a puddle, it took in water and blew a hole in the block.

Anyway...RB FTMFW - V6s are for Camrys and Hyundais

DriftPanda
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Anyway...RB FTMFW - V6s are for Camrys and Hyundais

And apparently Nissans & Audis....what's your point?

usdm180sx
02-05-2010, 11:51 AM
stupid ass owner.

Seriously. These idiots spend $100k plus on shit they have no idea about just to shave .0001 seconds off lap times and they probably can't even drive worth shit.

The cost of entry is the only discount for the GT-R. Maintenance costs are similar to owning a lambo porsche or ferrari.

I thought this was interesting. The GT-R engine costs $55k and the tranny costs $20k. The car lists for $85k. So would the car without a tranny and motor be only worth $10k? haha

Z-Tuned
02-05-2010, 10:33 PM
And apparently Nissans & Audis....what's your point?

Yay we have a car guy....I run an RB26 and the best sixes are straight not gay. :bowrofl:

BustedS13
02-06-2010, 03:53 AM
if the owner was a cool guy, he would have worried about fitment and left his engine alone.
also roof rack.

I LUV MY S13
02-06-2010, 04:18 AM
dude just needs to buy a 2000 civic

Taniguchi_Is_#1
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Yay we have a car guy....I run an RB26 and the best sixes are straight not gay. :bowrofl:

have fun shitting your oil pump through your sump.

nismo_nate
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
well its all the owners fault..

but.. if he can afford a GTR.. he should be able to pay for a new engine

indoz33
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
well its all the owners fault..

but.. if he can afford a GTR.. he should be able to pay for a new engine

i agree with nismo_nate... and cruising in 3rd gear??? wow epic

raz0rbladez909
02-07-2010, 01:41 AM

Nobody here gives a fuck if you have a rb26, with your analogy that you have used it would seem you have the mindset of a 12 year old, grow the fuck up they obviously moved to a v series for a reason. Having a shitload of weight forward of the front axles isn't exactly ideal for handling and i would guess that the vr38 would still walk your rb easily:newbie:

Z-Tuned
02-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Nobody here gives a fuck if you have a rb26, with your analogy that you have used it would seem you have the mindset of a 12 year old, grow the fuck up they obviously moved to a v series for a reason. Having a shitload of weight forward of the front axles isn't exactly ideal for handling and i would guess that the vr38 would still walk your rb easily:newbie:

Chain rattled? I was joking around in agreement with mbers who tossed out the RB swap comments. I would be insane an I'm sure I'll see it at TAS one year.

Considering I have all kinds of seat time in the R35 it isn't walking me any time soon. So seriously don't act like you know... LOL not that I care or even will respond

VNG704
02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
LOL, if only dealerships paid when we break things, they wouldn't be nicknamed stealership. Why are people saying the engine cost $55k?

For the record — the owner checked with a dealership and a new engine costs closer to $36K.

highwhey_14
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM
in all honesty, 55k for a new engine is ridiculous. search for a totaled gtr and you take the engine out, it will be less costly. or you can be bad ass and put an rb26det for a lot cheaper than 55k and still have the same power or more if you wish to do so.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
^^ For realz? How much torque and HP... I would love to see dyno graphs of your 13b.... Just remember new LS engines would last probably a lot longer than your 13b that overheats, eat oil, emit crap in the air and eventually blow an apex seal.... what is the typical rebuild of a modifie 13b? 30k miles?

My 13b has never overheated.eats very small amounts of oil. I got a front clip from japan with 78k miles on the 13b turbo. S5 and that motor lasted a good 3 years. I had basic. Safc,fuel cut defense,3 inch dp to 3 inch straight pipe.stock turbo on 14 psi. It was street tuned. I don't know the dyno numbers. but hey neck to neck with a c5 z06 shouldn't be slow now should
It. Motor Is still running btw. It's sold and the guy Is running a gt35r On the same motor now. Ls swapped cars are not that fast Unless they are modded. and have the right gearing

You see just a lil old rx7 with exhaust. and big tires In the back to keep from spinning too much No ports Or anything :hide:

YouTube - fc tII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcQTlduLuk)

mattsauto95
02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
in all honesty, 55k for a new engine is ridiculous. search for a totaled gtr and you take the engine out, it will be less costly. or you can be bad ass and put an rb26det for a lot cheaper than 55k and still have the same power or more if you wish to do so.

Same power? The only way you're gonna get the same power is from a Ztune rb26 or spend some serious cash on tuning.

Z32TT-R
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
yea basicly theirs really no point to modify those cars if anything just fix up the exterior alil and thats it

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
My 13b has never overheated.eats very small amounts of oil. I got a front clip from japan with 78k miles on the 13b turbo. S5 and that motor lasted a good 3 years. I had basic. Safc,fuel cut defense,3 inch dp to 3 inch straight pipe.stock turbo on 14 psi. It was street tuned. I don't know the dyno numbers. but hey neck to neck with a c5 z06 shouldn't be slow now should
It. Motor Is still running btw. It's sold and the guy Is running a gt35r On the same motor now. Ls swapped cars are not that fast Unless they are modded. and have the right gearing

You see just a lil old rx7 with exhaust. and big tires In the back to keep from spinning too much No ports Or anything :hide:

mike mutha fucken essa....that's all I have to say.

LS bandwagon...more like smartwagon. Who wants to rebuild a track car every couple events....

I love everything about mazda's except their reliability and their steering angle....

Teggers
02-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Dude I always loved your avatar... FUTURAMA!!!! Mind control frog siiiick.....

dude: Toad not frog!! All hail Hypno-toad!! :p

O/T RB30 block, 26 head, big f**k-off turbo, forged internals and a decent professional map = big bag of win and anything from 600bhp up.

Home mapping when you know what you're doing (Nistune, megasquirt etc) = win. Home tuning and guessing settings/tolerances = big fail. :whip:

A mate has almost finished his one. At 0.8 bar, base map and stock internals it was 451bhp. The bottom end wasn't set up properly afaik and its mullered. Hence the forged rebuild. Hopefully will be looking at the thick end of 700 elephant power as the daily map with an option of higher boost for track work. Went out for a ride on the base map and it was savage!

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
mike mutha fucken essa....that's all I have to say.

LS bandwagon...more like smartwagon. Who wants to rebuild a track car every couple events....

I love everything about mazda's except their reliability and their steering angle....

You know you love those 10 point u-turns! hahah. most of them do cheap ass rebuilds for like 400 bux. lol. If you really want a rotary thats gonna last you a long time you gotta spend some serious cash but that engine will never go out. I'm glad I can't afford a gtr at the moment haha I wouldn't have to feel like at any second my tranny could go out. Its like walking on egg shells every time you drive the damn thing

ShiftedFrame
02-18-2010, 02:55 PM

You realize gearing plays a key role right? The GTR is only quick til about 100 then it just fails....

slider2828
02-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Dude but you are talking a stock z06... that thing has every amenity in it... vs probably stripped rx7 with a 13b running 14 psi.....

So really you think a Z06 LS1 in a rx7 wouldn't smoke the same rx7 with a 13b on 14 psi? Really? I mean we are comparing engines not cars.....

slider2828
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
You realize gearing plays a key role right? The GTR is only quick til about 100 then it just fails....

So true... their short gearing 1-4 maybe 5th.... but yeah I agree with you there.... Thing is heavy as well...

Look at Off Topic thread I made. HV103 tuned R35 vs Mine's R34 COME ON.....

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Dude but you are talking a stock z06... that thing has every amenity in it... vs probably stripped rx7 with a 13b running 14 psi.....

So really you think a Z06 LS1 in a rx7 wouldn't smoke the same rx7 with a 13b on 14 psi? Really? I mean we are comparing engines not cars.....

YouTube - 13b Rx7 FD vs. V8 rx7 with nos Street race (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S_TO0WHYRs)

Ls vs 13b. and my rx7 Is full street trim with a/c and heater.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
02-23-2010, 02:40 AM

Zo6 I raced on the free was pretty damn loud so I'm assuming headers and exhaust.

Here Is another ls car vs 13b

YouTube - Mazda 13b Gt35 Rx7 FD vs. V8 Ls1 Rx7 w Nos. street race (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFLLXDJvDJE&feature=related)

I jus don't think Ls engines are all they've been hyped up to be

Tantwoforty
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
vg30dett... lol
hks 2530s
740cc
exaust
boost controller
almost stock gtr hp lol

rhd_S13Brett
04-18-2010, 03:14 AM
dang that sucks lol i would find a big hill + friends (to help push)+ wall or ditch + verrry good insurance lol

sr-240
04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
skyline gtr motor is plenty stong to handle more hp. but tuned for the wrong octane he detinated and broke a rod and probably a piston. its called dumb owners with to much money but dont know sh++ about cars. and ls motors are pussy motors 3 times the size of a sr and twice a 2jz but yet both my sr and my 2jz kills them.

BoostSlideWayz
04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
If he spent this much on an engine and it broke.. then he obviously didnt have some one do it right or somthing ... i mean 55k on an engine... i would make sure every torque on every single little bolt was perfect and i would check all the clearance on things.. i wonder if he just paid some half ass shop to do this.

shiftdrift
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
ls engines are so nice because you can put a cam, intake and exhaust on them and they can be well over 400whp

PNgo12
04-18-2010, 09:49 PM
dang that sucks lol i would find a big hill + friends (to help push)+ wall or ditch + verrry good insurance lol

lol seriously, just just be like the other GTR that crashed racing an evo and go the insurance fraud route :naughty:

nickdestcroix
04-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Agree'd if hes fucked the engine and decides to do something different rock a rb30dett or rb26dett highley modified ...
its a shame about him overlooking specific details, if you have the money to buy a new gtr spend a couple of those bucks on a professional to overlook your tune

98koukile
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I love all the LS hate. Just remember that tune you have that's pushing the limits of your engine, turbo, fuel system etc is trying to make the power of an engine that will make it without breaking a sweat for 200k miles. Your SR will walk on it? What about mod for mod? Push an LS to the same limits and now you're standing still wondering if you can push more boost without blowing your engine to keep up.

But as far as this topic goes... I guess the culture differences could have been avoided if the US and other countries didn't use a different octane rating

zspeedrft
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
sucks to be him....

bftII40
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Fuck all that, If he has the money and he wants to modify something, throw his "shell" to a representable shop, buy a gm crate LS7 Do the mods he wants and there ya go. That makes the most sense weight wise and power wise. Yeah yeah yeah, RB blahahaha VQ, SR,KA whatever, if he wants something thats going to live up to the NEW GTR then he should try out an LS7. He might likey. IMO.

It would be useless to throw a 200hp SR in a GTR even if its a 2.3 stroker making 500, it would never own up to or be close to a stock GTR. PLUS you can make an LS7 all wheel drive with a few mods. Hey if the guy has money why the fuck not? He could probably still do all of this and stay under 36 g's.

Truthfully its a waste of time to bench race about what he could put in the thing, if it was me i wouldn't have done that stupid ass shit in the first place.. but I would probably fork over the 36 for the shortblock and keep the GTR's PRIDE!

reccakun08
05-06-2010, 09:38 PM
lol the most expensive shell ever.

gsxr141
05-06-2010, 10:12 PM
next time ignore the r35 hype and just get an r34. imo better engines and wayyy better looking.

Silviaslider87
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Damn that sucks, he should lemme have it so i can throw a ka-t in it! haha

Ghost240
05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
next time ignore the r35 hype and just get an r34. imo better engines and wayyy better looking.

+100000

I love all the LS hate. Just remember that tune you have that's pushing the limits of your engine, turbo, fuel system etc is trying to make the power of an engine that will make it without breaking a sweat for 200k miles. Your SR will walk on it? What about mod for mod? Push an LS to the same limits and now you're standing still wondering if you can push more boost without blowing your engine to keep up.

But as far as this topic goes... I guess the culture differences could have been avoided if the US and other countries didn't use a different octane rating

LS hate comes from the fact that everyone is bandwagoning it. And secondly comparing a 4 cyl turbo to a V8 is comparing apples and oranges. The closest thing nissan had at the time was a RB. And yes it's not cheap to build an RB but the same reliability can be had with proper tuning. But people dont have the $$$$ to do it and half ass it or the tuners don't know what the fuck they are doing. You gotta keep in mind that tuning in the us (in regards to imports) is relatively new in comparison to japan. Secondly if you want to go V8 to V8 compare the titan motor to the LS series motor. But then again who on here can afford a titan motor.

I'm not knocking the LS series motors. I used to have a 98 TA. They are efficient and cost effective, but does not suit everyone's needs. Plus boost is sooooo damn addicting.

z2roll4life7
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
thats crazy i wonder what route he took?

bftII40
05-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Boost is the modern day crack for car enthusiasts, unfortunately crack kills and in our case blows shit up. :eek3d:

E-Warrior
06-14-2010, 03:12 AM

Dig or roll?? From a dig I can believe that hands down, the GTRs launch is completely unreal. From a roll (depending on speed), no i dont believe that. The R32 isnt just lighter, its MUCH lighter. almost, if not more than, 1000lbs lighter. 450whp is much more than what a stock R35 puts down.

Weight is a very very large factor with speed. Just as the GTRs technology is a very very large factor with its handling and launching ability.

Ghost240
06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
You also have to factor in gearing. The GTR is pretty much a dog after like 100 or so. I still believe the vehicle as a whole is overrated, overhyped and etc. But then again I am not a VQ believer.

240sxfamily
06-14-2010, 08:40 AM
LS9 and gut it!

DenkiMan!
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
You also have to factor in gearing. The GTR is pretty much a dog after like 100 or so.

the GTR was limited to 112mph from factory wasnt it?

E-Warrior
06-15-2010, 01:28 AM
the GTR was limited to 112mph from factory wasnt it?

not on, or near any race tracks apparently lol

The gearing is where the speed of a roll comes into play.

Ghost240
06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
not on, or near any race tracks apparently lol

The gearing is where the speed of a roll comes into play.

yeah it is only limited to 112 in japan unless it is on a track. And E-Warrior is right, it is all about gearing. give a bit of top end up to gain in acceleration.

BlackPearl
06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
sounds like he answered his own question as to what happened.

I wouldn't say the GTR is overrated, but people do tend to think it is much more than it is. I rode in my buddies around the road course and the road handling abilities are amazing although is was on r comps. it's just feels to numb to me at times is my only complaint with it.

handinpants
06-18-2010, 03:51 AM
He's a gtr owner in lebonon, jeez, obviously he has money to buy it from the us, and bring it there, he should quit his bitching and whinning, reach into his deep oil pockets and buy another one.... the lebonese people I know are filfthy rich

bb4_96
06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
lsx threadjack

doug200t
06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
He should have bought a GT2 GT3 they warrenty their cars. He is also not the only one waxing the GTR motor. couple others have also its not a strong motor not forged nada. for the price they want they should have at least made it pretty beefy and or covered the warrenty better for enthuthiasts..