PDA

View Full Version : Has your car hobby/obsession kept you from experiencing the finer things in life?

SuicidnS13
01-30-2010, 11:58 PM
So guys in the past few years Ive noticed that with increases in salary comes more brand name parts. I look back at my credit card statements and all my parts reciepts plus the titles to 4 of my 240's and not to mention my 2 family cars...Simply just awe shocking once you tally up the costs and time it takes in life to enjoy our hobbies.

I mean some of us on here work for 2 weeks or longer depending on rate of pay just to save up the money for tires and the entree fee for an event. Im almost 30 and still, I do not see an end to this obsession. I constantly dream of setups better or rarer than previous setups. How many of you guys here have skipped on going out, skipped on going clothes shopping or heck even skipped out on vacations just so you can save the money to get 1 step closer to completing projects which are never ever truly complete.

Whats worse is that I cant even enjoy stock cars anymore. It doesnt matter what kind of car it is, I will mod the car. First it starts with wheels and suspension, then bolt ons, and then I have another garage queen I can no longer drive. Thus why I've quit financing cars for myself. Is this hobby as addicting as sex? I mean really if I had invested 20k in ford last year instead of a measly 4k I would have made almost 6 figures in my return. But I chose to put that extra cash into car parts and other vehicle accesories or even tools.

Sorry for the long rant, but Im sure someone else on this board feels the way I do.... addicted-

upsdude
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
have a baby...that'll distract you from the pesky car hobby for a while ;)

DataXUnknown
01-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Or have your license suspended and get everything stolen from you

That will force you to stop for a little while :(

amdnivram
01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
i noticed the same, but i also notice that for the most part, unless i have something planned my money will just go to waste on useless and meaningless things that i can't remember. I spend like 50+ this week on stuff that i cant remember.

SuicidnS13
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Well guys I also have 2 kids, a wife and 2 mortgages. Trust me my family is a line of car nuts, my wife included. Heck she was a HIN/Import Tuner model when we met. So the sickness gets worse because my wife understands my other needs you know. As long as the wife and family are happy I have free reign in my garage. Trust me I dont hate our hobby, the problem is I may just love it too much. Imagine seeing a counselor for this. Would we be considered Shopaholics?

SimpleSexy180
01-31-2010, 12:51 AM
If you have money and are enjoying what you are doing, then its all good!

I LUV MY S13
01-31-2010, 12:57 AM
travel...or dont have fuckin 4 240s...2 is enough for me, and traveling is what i look most forward to

Csomme
01-31-2010, 12:57 AM
I think it's already getting out of hand. I'm just 19 and have the car of my dreams putting out a good amount of power that looks great and I can hardly pay my bills and want to sink MORE money into this. My head isn't in the right place, lately I've been considering selling it so I can just focus on work and school so that I can actually have money later down the road to do what I want with.

worangejuice
01-31-2010, 12:58 AM
better cars, than drugs, hookers, or other shit.
I usually spend my money on needless things, or just going out. I look for stuff for my cars all the time, but never buy, cause I wanna save up, then end up spending money on movies, or clothes, or the wife!

ms!3
01-31-2010, 01:14 AM
why do you have four 240s? one headache is enough.

duffman1278
01-31-2010, 01:21 AM
In a nut shell, no. I manage my money and spend on my 240 after I've accumulated more than enough for certain parts. I always make sure I save up for other random crap I might need or events that I'm interested in.

DALAZ_68
01-31-2010, 02:15 AM
In a nut shell, no. I manage my money and spend on my 240 after I've accumulated more than enough for certain parts. I always make sure I save up for other random crap I might need or events that I'm interested in.

+1 on that sir...i could easily have spent money over the year, but i realize that i would end up spending more...so i waited and spent a solid 4500 in one month and got what i needed and nothing more...

CrimsonRockett
01-31-2010, 02:33 AM
Get rid of 3.

After having gone through over 15 S13's at this point, I've learned you really need to control this expensive hobby.

Now, I have my daily driver and project car(both S13's).

I've managed to save up a LOT of money. Plus, I get to focus all of my attention on finishing up my project car.

The way I see it, having 4 S13's means none of them will ever get finished(there will never be enough money to fund all of them).

Narrow your "collection" down to 1 if possible and keep it that way.

simmode1
01-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Kudos to everybody saying 'get rid of your extra 240s'. In retrospect, buying my second 240 was the most stupid thing I had done in a while. I mean, I don't need two sports cars. Now... one sports car and one utility vehicle makes way more sense. I'll be rectifying that problem soon.

But no, my 240's don't keep me from enjoying things. They are pretty much relegated to 'back burner' status unless there are maintanance issues. I plan on keeping my favorite one for long enough that I know I'll get around to really splurging on it someday. Planning and Patience are virtues.

Otto347
01-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah ive spent a shit ton on cars ive had but still manage to take vacations once a year. Clothes and eating out are kinda not important to me. Dont get me wrong I dont get my clothes from wal*mart (other than my Dickies) but i dont buy any t shirt that over $20 and dont spend any more than $50 on a pair of jeans.

As of now I have a Nissan pickup and 240.

The car hobby is too much fun for me, I can't remember a time when I didnt have fun going to a car show or event. the long drives are the best, especially when you have a lot of people driving!

SUPERSTAR
01-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Not at all. Cars have helped increase my sex life. I know there is always finer guys in life, so I will switch next year to Skyline platform.

ericcastro
01-31-2010, 10:36 AM
No.
But look at my car.
Thats part of the reason i dont have all the Dopest parts, and best fitment, and namebrand stuff.

I dont want to look back on my life and realize all i did was work to pour money into a stupid car.
Its got to be one of the least creative hobbies around.
Its like saying "build a bear" is creative.
Theres only so many options, and they are all there.

So i put enough into my car to have fun.
But I spend my money on enjoying and experiencing life.
I won't miss out on life things because i want to buy something for my car.

Cause in the end, the dopest car in the world.............. doesnt mean shit in 20 years.
Really.
who had the cleanest 240 Z ten years ago?
510?
best vw bug?
off road truck?

my point it, no one gives a shit in the end.
So know that, before you miss life, Cause in the end, having name brand parts isnt impressing anyone.
Except for yourself.
Most people drop out of the car scene before the ten year mark, cause they realize this.

deadghost
01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I do got to admit that doubt does pass my mind, when I could have it saved up towards a comfortable life or at least a savings. I cant even begin to tell you how I put my self down on necessities in the past because of my car. I have a father and brother that will scrutinize me to death about my car, my parts and my $900.00+ rims, explaining the whole hobby is not easy either. Then again I could easy argue that we all have our vices in life, may it be women, sports, drugs, clothing, music, gambling, real estate, children etc.

I love to travel, and I love to wake up every mourning or night to drive my coupe, its there and a part of me on my daily routine, in a way its kinda like clothing to me. If I didn't have my coupe, I wouldn't have had a well paying job at a speed shop. Or I would have signed my soul away like so many people out there to some over priced eco car, holding me down to payments. I say fuck that, if im going to be putting down a minimum of $400.00+ to some generic car a month/insurance then I rather it go to a modest sport car that I prefer and pay for on my standards. I have fucked my self over before on the whole car thing in the past, may it be a accident, or a faulty item or buy. But I honestly have no regrets about my current situation. I hold no speculations of the ''WHAT IF'S" in my life.

Matador
01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
This hobby is expensive and it only gets worse. You just need to use a little restraint now and again. Although I have noticed that Ive cut back on shopping for non-car stuff tho (electronics, clothes, etc). Disposable income goes to booze, car, and savings atm. Just have to find a balance that you can live with.

napaKAliboog
01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Honestly, I would've had a house with the amount i've spent on cars ahahahah FML

Dousan_PG
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
im 30 and i dont think ive missed out on finer life
ive still travelled and done shit, sure i dont have a big fancy tv but id rather be out working and getting some exercise and hanging out w/ friends then sitting in frontof the boobtube.

its like gambling to me, if it takes over your life and you are cutting other things out, you got issues.
if u can still enjoy stuff have a normal life, then your in good shape.

i am building a new drift car w/ my old drift cars part money, and using my regular paychecks to pay for the house savings. now, it will take longer doing this but you gotta do what you gotta do.

know your limits.
dudes in college on a super budget SHOULDN'T be into modding cars.

bardabe
01-31-2010, 12:26 PM
wow, yeah i kinda had, I missed Winter Formal To buy the Holset and Nistune for my old S13, and Missed Prom For Clutch Flywheel INjectors and Tuning. haha didn;t buy a year book saving up for parts. so all my HS memories are just in my head.

and now well its not as bad but i do find myself often staying at home playing video games or watching Blu-Rays/ DVD's because i just bought something for my Car that i didn't really need but was going to be nice. I'm in it 7 years deep we'll see if in 3 years im still into it.

duballstar37
01-31-2010, 12:29 PM
This thread depresses me.

Chrischeezer
01-31-2010, 12:43 PM
here is your problem, the "terms" hobby and obsession

for me its not a hobby, and i don't obsess about it...

Its Life. worth every penny and every second ever spent.

Yes other people do "other things", like "going out" great!... sounds like a big yawn fest to me.

-There is nothing finer in life, then cruising the highway,ur girl by ur side, the feel of a motor under boost, wastegates dumping out.... mmmm :)

ericcastro
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
-There is nothing finer in life, then cruising the highway,ur girl by ur side, the feel of a motor under boost, wastegates dumping out.... mmmm :)

yes there is, and ask your girl if thats her dream too, lol
Pretty sure your gonna get bored of that soon enough, ;)

Some of these post man.
No wonder the car scene is full of socially akward people that really struggle to carry relationships with women.
not everyone, but im pretty sue, you all know what i mean.

and "going out" doesnt mean "clubing"
It means getting out the house.
hiking, traveling, going to a movie, a play, shopping,weekend vacation, dinner and drinks with the girl or friends.
Alot of you are passing this stuff up.
This stuff is life.
Your car is an inadament object.
Put life forwards and keep the car a hobby.

dousan seems to do it fine.
I do it fine.
Its a car people,

man, this is SO sad.
these people are just as bad as world of warcraft people.
i shed these tears for all of you :wtc:

240XTC
01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Turn your hobby into something profitable. The obsession is what you live for. If it makes you happy, create the funds to support your habit. That, and the balance of the your priorities are vital keys to success. This way your future wont hold any negative regrets towards your past.

Bubbles
01-31-2010, 04:01 PM
If I lived in a city, I wouldn't even own a car.

NoPistons!
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
I dont drink often, indulge in smoking trees and i'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes.

My rents paid, my bills are getting paid and i have food. Extra money i save for forever and my tax returns usually go to my hobby. I have a hard time managing the budget i set out for myself.

For instance, my goals were "aero, tires, fix engine, do brakes."

I'm spending close to $700 on wheels/tires with good fitment and sizing (which i care about way too much), selling my current ones for $400 so that leaves me with $300 total spent on wheels. Ballin on a budget with xxrs is fine by me. Then that $400 is going to be spent on a battery, new injectors, block off plates. Whatever is left is buying my aero, a few dress up parts and a mig welder and i have $600 saved up to put the car on the road. A chunk of that $600 will go to fix whatever issues are left over that are actually relevant to making the car MOVE and STOP properly thus postponing putting the car on the road for a little bit longer.

Why? Well because other than bmx and cars, my other hobbies are the internet and video games. I hate people in general and both BMX and the car scene have introduced me to people i can tollerate to be around and maintain a conversation with, not just cars and bikes. SO, pretty much by being in this scene and enjoying it i am making good friends, connections, learning things and enjoying my life.

Sure, i'd like to take a trip to amsterdam, get a replacement for the front tooth i knocked out last year, go get some contacts, work on getting my shop built, find a nice girl, go back to school to learn some more cnc/welding related stuff, work my second job that i'm the boss off but in due time. I'm 24. I still have alot to accomplish but if the world ends tomorrow i can say i've lived a decent life and i've already accomplished so much. Right now my rx7 is what i like to do.

Chrischeezer
01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
yes there is, and ask your girl if thats her dream too, lol
Pretty sure your gonna get bored of that soon enough, ;)
Some of these post man.
No wonder the car scene is full of socially akward people that really struggle to carry relationships with women.
hiking, traveling, going to a movie, a play, shopping,weekend vacation, dinner and drinks with the girl or friends.
This stuff is life.
I do it fine.
Its a car people,
man, this is SO sad.

wow... :Owned: me

Eric is right!, I'm going to drop everything i loved to do with my life and go see a play...
lol, i go out normally, but i know where my heart is.
(and for the record, my girl built my sr20 with me, and we just did the diff and HICAS removal on the GTR & she can't keep her hands off the welder too :)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/ChrisCheezer/5455_102393649307_608284307_1915984.jpg

zaneithan
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
know your limits.
dudes in college on a super budget SHOULDN'T be into modding cars.

this right here. or learn to put it on hold, ive done modding for 2 years out of high school where i was working at a pizzeria making bank.. i had no bills and could afford it, once i went back to college car gets put on hold, if it sits for now, who cares? im working toward a better future

cars should just be a part of a person's life, not the whole thing

Z33dori
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
travel to more events further away, that way you can go to a new places, take the family with you, make it a vacation.

Idk i think unless we(humans/people) have something that we are passionate and care for (obsessed with) we will pretty much go insane. We are put on this plane to live and be successful, aslong as your hobby is putting you in serious trouble (living paycheck to paycheck) i see no problem. I mean it never hurts to try and cut back, save a lil extra money for the kids or whatever, but fuck it.

napaKAliboog
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
"america... Fuck yeah!"

ericcastro
01-31-2010, 05:29 PM

Eric is right!, I'm going to drop everything i loved to do with my life and go see a play...
(and for the record, my girl built my sr20 with me, and we just did the diff and HICAS removal on the GTR & she can't keep her hands off the welder too :)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/ChrisCheezer/5455_102393649307_608284307_1915984.jpg

lol, i just took your quote.
What you said is the general consensus of alot of these younger guys.
As were it looks like you really lucked out with a girl with similar interest, we all know thats very rare.
I watch these kids bring there girls to meets and events, and watch how bored the girls are.
Im just saying you cant be 100% about the car.
you have to get out and experience life, and if everything you have goes to the car, your gonna fall behind on what the rest of society is doing.

Ive met way to many old guys that were 100% about cars, and now are a little sour, have little friends, failed relationships (or still chasing that one), and they have a hard time comunicating and working with others.

Basically, make your car your bitch, and live your life, dont let in make you the bitch and stop you from enjoying the 80 years you get here on earth this time round.

BTW, i saw Wicked last year and it was fucking awesome!
i need to get some money together and take my girl to a play/musical soon. :)

Mi Beardo es Loco
01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
it makes me sick to think I've spent well over 20k on a car hasn't started in 2 years. The.....Neverending.....Project

jspaeth
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM

Sorry if this has already been said but that is immediately hot even though I can't see her face, just for tunerness alone.

jspaeth
01-31-2010, 06:51 PM

That's pretty cool....my brother was in Wicked in LA at that time, you probably saw him....he has since moved back to NYC and is doing West Side Story on Broadway there.

SuicidnS13
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
We have 4 240's in the house because both my wife and I have 2 different play cars. I have a garage queen and a track beater as does she. We also have 2 regular cars for work. We do not live paycheck to paycheck in anyway, but in the end and after just filing my taxes I look back and wonder, woah , where did it all go? Then I remember, oh yea VSKF's, stance, another engine swap, tuning (money spent on something you only feel LMAO) ect ect...

Maybe being older now and having 2 kids who will more than likely also be in this scene has made me alot more aware of the money which goes into this lifestyle. Which in reality is what it is for us. A lifestyle, some of us live a little bit higher in it while others are a little bit lower on the totem poles still. Its all about what you can afford or are willing to spend this year. I guess its just another rant, maybe next year Ill travel the world instead of twin turboing a c6 zo6 corvette. But man O' man what 1000hp would feel like!

fishhouse
02-01-2010, 01:12 AM
from the time i was out of high school til about 2 years ago i spent ALL of my money on cars, rarely ate out, very rarely went to the bar, ate cheap as shit, never bought new clothes. the car was rad and going to events and shit is rad but, ive been spendin gall my money on clothes and bars lately and it kinda blows. just need to find a middle ground between real life and the car shit.

ronmcdon
02-01-2010, 01:26 AM
It's hard for me to do something like that.
There's just too much to enjoy in life.
I've tried just focusing on cars & track days only,
but i find that life that way to be unbearably boring.

Granted, i make some compromises.
Keeping 1 project car (vs. 6) has done wonders.
I just throw parts on my 240 year by year.
I also finance a relatively stock evo that I enjoy driving just as much.

meteorite_flo
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
it makes me sick to think I've spent well over 20k on a car hasn't started in 2 years. The.....Neverending.....Project

Same here, but I haven't started my car in 6 years! :rofl:

napaKAliboog
02-01-2010, 04:34 AM
WOW 6 YEARS THE FUCK? and I tought my 5 month porsche project was harsh HAHAHA

WanganRunner
02-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Hasn't kept me from enjoying anything.

Honestly, the "finer things" have kept me from enjoying cars, actually. I do plenty of other stuff, I go out to eat all the time, I've been all over the world, but I never feel like I have enough car/bike shit done. I'm always compromising the car/bike stuff to do other things.

Part of it is that I generally require my car hobby to be a break-even proposition, more or less. If you buy pre-modded cars and lots of used (but nice) parts, you can sell them for as much or more than you paid, so you don't ever really "spend" any money, you just tie money up and you can always get it back.

This means I'll never go buy a brand new Z34 and mod the shit out of it, but I don't need to. I'm happy playing with older cars and I do it to enjoy myself, not impress a bunch of kids. I'm 28, I've got a good job, and I'm pretty conservative with my money, which is probably why I never drive anything truly baller, because while I can afford it, I just can't justify doing it.

zeitgeist
02-01-2010, 08:29 AM
You just have to learn to be patient and budget. Ive been a broke ass college student for 4 years but I still find the money and time to travel the world and mod my 2 240s(even though neither of them run right now lol. But that will change after my tax refund). But I also dont blow money on clothes and eat out all the time. Just gotta set your priorities

And Im not in debt :snoop:

mr_eh
02-01-2010, 08:37 AM
i cant think of anything the car hobby has kept me from doing. i mean i could spend a week in vegas and blow 3000$ and at the end of the week come home with nothing but a good memory... or buy something tangible like a 2000$ exedy triple disc and a 1300$ power fc djetro... something that i can enjoy every day for as long as i wish...

if you want to do things and the car stops you from doing them, that is pretty sad - the trick is to unjustify those things :D

ps first 240sx as of september 2008 and 22k into car parts sitting in a shop - build occuring before this summer.

scottie
02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Simple answer. YES

exitspeed
02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Buy a house that needs to be completely remodeled. You'll stop spending money on your cars quick.

Mi Beardo es Loco
02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Buy a house that needs to be completely remodeled. You'll stop spending money on your cars quick.
I did. It didn't work. :sadwavey:

ericcastro
02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
i cant think of anything the car hobby has kept me from doing. i mean i could spend a week in vegas and blow 3000$ and at the end of the week come home with nothing but a good memory..

Dude, a $3000 weekend in Vegas!!
That would be something to write Maxim magazine about!!!
and remember, your supposed to bring friends along that are your really tight and life long homies because you have a bond since you didnt miss out on all the "finer things" and "going out"

I think there is 2 schools in this thread.
And only one is posting.

I think all us guys over 25,26 have figured it out.
We seem to be able to balance.
we have cars in garages that are hobbies, or kids or houses.

We havent had much response from the younger guys that are actually missing out on their lives because of these cars.
Cause as we know. once your older, you dont go out much, but with the wife/wife and kids, and maybe a once a month outing with the boys.:)

Mi Beardo es Loco
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
and remember, your supposed to bring friends along that are your really tight and life long homies because you have a bond since you didnt miss out on all the "finer things" and "going out"

And only one is posting.

We havent had much response from the younger guys that are actually missing out on their lives because of these cars.
Cause as we know. once your older, you dont go out much, but with the wife/wife and kids, and maybe a once a month outing with the boys.:)
lol. 3k is nothing. Had a buddy go to Vegas and nearly spent 50k after a big settlement. I just don't think Maxim would take kindly to it being spent on hookers and all night gambling while on blow.

bardabe
02-01-2010, 09:54 AM
This is Depressing lol

Ive met way to many old guys that were 100% about cars, and now are a little sour, have little friends, failed relationships (or still chasing that one), and they have a hard time comunicating and working with others.

why do i see myself being one of those guys? :(

ericcastro
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
lol. 3k is nothing. Had a buddy go to Vegas and nearly spent 50k after a big settlement. I just don't think Maxim would take kindly to it being spent on hookers and all night gambling while on blow.
Actually, they love that shit.
They just cant print it, lol!!
Cocaine plus viagra and hours of cardio sounds like a recipe for a heart attack!! lol

why do i see myself being one of those guys? :(
Because the all night drinking binge I took you on at the illegally open Thia bar/gambling restraunt was probably the only "living it up" you have done in awhile.
Get out and have some fun man, fuck cars.
They are fun toys, but when you are dying in the hospital at 88.
You wanna look back and go,
"Man, im glad I saved that extra few months for SPL instead of god speed"
and
"Im glad I passed up on going out with my friends for 6 month when I was 23, cause i was able to get Dmax all around and dimples on that irrelevant car that i sold when i was 37."

lol

jorge1190
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Im in college right now so my car is on hold completely i would say.
I worked a lot in high school because i pay for everything on the car including the car itself but still went out and did things. I've made a lot of memories going to meet with my big group of car friends.
Sometimes i don't want to work on the car at all, but then other times working on it or going for a drive is a nice way to get away from things for a day.

ronmcdon
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM

And only one is posting.

Hasn't kept me from enjoying anything.

Honestly, the "finer things" have kept me from enjoying cars, actually. I do plenty of other stuff, I go out to eat all the time, I've been all over the world, but I never feel like I have enough car/bike shit done. I'm always compromising the car/bike stuff to do other things.

Part of it is that I generally require my car hobby to be a break-even proposition, more or less. If you buy pre-modded cars and lots of used (but nice) parts, you can sell them for as much or more than you paid, so you don't ever really "spend" any money, you just tie money up and you can always get it back.

This means I'll never go buy a brand new Z34 and mod the shit out of it, but I don't need to. I'm happy playing with older cars and I do it to enjoy myself, not impress a bunch of kids. I'm 28, I've got a good job, and I'm pretty conservative with my money, which is probably why I never drive anything truly baller, because while I can afford it, I just can't justify doing it.

both posts I can relate with a lot.
imo, a lot of the younger guys haven't seen enough to appreciate the other joys of life.
it's also hard for some to venture out & try something new.

I don't necc agree with the notion of refusing to buy a new car though.
depending on your budget, it may cost more or less the same to mod an old junker.
Looking back things, I wish I would stick with a newer car & call it a day.
I just get a car that I'm happy enough, that I don't need to throw a lot of parts into it.

SlideWell
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes and No. ive experienced some great things by having the car i do, yet, cant even dress all nice like most people cuz im so broke dumping money into my car. with that being said, i believe its time for me to focus on education and put my car on hold for a long while.

DALAZ_68
02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah ive spent a shit ton on cars ive had but still manage to take vacations once a year. Clothes and eating out are kinda not important to me. Dont get me wrong I dont get my clothes from wal*mart (other than my Dickies) but i dont buy any t shirt that over $20 and dont spend any more than $50 on a pair of jeans.

im pretty much in the same boat, i dont buy the "latest Fashion" BS...fuck ed harty shirts, fuck ur tap out BS...gimme 5 shirts for 20 bucks from Nike or 3 collard shirts for 20 any day...

i think the last time i bought a shirt that wasnt one of the nike deals was my 3 jimmy up shirts, and thats to help a bud out doing something right with his life...

and mind you i only have 2 pairs of jeans a year, 1 pair of fancy pants for occasions that call for it... i dont need 27 pairs of shoes...all i need is a pair of dress shoes, my sneakers, my work boots, and i use my old beat up sneakers to work on my car...i have 2 pair of shorts...thats all i need...

but people confuse all the fucking time wants vs needs...hence the situations they end up being in...

i knew what i wanted, so i did what i had to do to get there...simple

as far as eating, i buy groceries and eat at home, get stuffed and pay less, and i make it to how i like it, and no worries of spit from an uptight cook who doesnt like the way i order my food...

now dont get me wrong i do go out, but only on saturday, friday if the day feels like its right...but usually its to a buddies house to enjoy a couple rounds of beer pong, food, T.V. and a pit fire which is dope...
sundays is a no no since i dont wanna have issues waking up for work...thats my rule...during the week, i cannot go out, after work, i dont have the energy for that shit...

I do got to admit that doubt does pass my mind, when I could have it saved up towards a comfortable life or at least a savings. I cant even begin to tell you how I put my self down on necessities in the past because of my car. I have a father and brother that will scrutinize me to death about my car, my parts and my $900.00+ rims, explaining the whole hobby is not easy either. Then again I could easy argue that we all have our vices in life, may it be women, sports, drugs, clothing, music, gambling, real estate, children etc.

the only vices in my life are family, bills, friends, car...in that order, family comes first, bills need to get payed, my friends nor family pay for my shit, nor would i ask...and the cars are last thing on my mind, i love to mess with em, but ive long come to a conclusion that its not gonna be my life, its just a hobby...

wow, yeah i kinda had, I missed Winter Formal To buy the Holset and Nistune for my old S13, and Missed Prom For Clutch Flywheel INjectors and Tuning. haha didn;t buy a year book saving up for parts. so all my HS memories are just in my head.

and now well its not as bad but i do find myself often staying at home playing video games or watching Blu-Rays/ DVD's because i just bought something for my Car that i didn't really need but was going to be nice. I'm in it 7 years deep we'll see if in 3 years im still into it.

i admit i did that...once, other times i stayed home was because i took care of fam bam and bills right after, and only had enough for gas for the upcoming week...

Some of these post man.

so fucking true...usually when you go to a meet...most guys, if ur not talking about cars, they have nothing to say, if they see a chick, they dont know how to act...

This stuff is life.

dude, if i passed on just half the shit i've experience due to the above mentioned things...i would have hated my life so much at this point...

experiences and choices are what makes us, us...

I do it fine.
Its a car people,
man, this is SO sad.

QFTMFT

i should have given you my PeeWee herman tickets >_<*

Because the all night drinking binge I took you on at the illegally open Thia bar/gambling restraunt was probably the only "living it up" you have done in awhile.

aww yeah, the day he left his car in my driveway...driving hungover back to Perris...GENIOUS!

LOL...i know said bar place now...

though he did come out to Teddy's...

that weekend and this past weekend in Ktown have made 2010 dope...lol

Touge Noob S13
02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Get out and have some fun man, fuck cars.
They are fun toys, but when you are dying in the hospital at 88.
You wanna look back and go,
"Man, im glad I saved that extra few months for SPL instead of god speed"
and
"Im glad I passed up on going out with my friends for 6 month when I was 23, cause i was able to get Dmax all around and dimples on that irrelevant car that i sold when i was 37."

lol

So Eric when you are the hospital dying you could ask yourself

"Man why did I waste so much time drifting, I never became pro" or
"Why did I spend my free time helping people with drifting when they just ended up stabbing me in the back" (you know who these "people" are).

IMO we will always change opinions in the future, we should do whatever makes us happy now whether that be building a nice car or having good driving skills.

Ollie
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
So guys in the past few years Ive noticed that with increases in salary comes more brand name parts. I look back at my credit card statements and all my parts reciepts plus the titles to 4 of my 240's and not to mention my 2 family cars...Simply just awe shocking once you tally up the costs and time it takes in life to enjoy our hobbies.

I mean some of us on here work for 2 weeks or longer depending on rate of pay just to save up the money for tires and the entree fee for an event. Im almost 30 and still, I do not see an end to this obsession. I constantly dream of setups better or rarer than previous setups. How many of you guys here have skipped on going out, skipped on going clothes shopping or heck even skipped out on vacations just so you can save the money to get 1 step closer to completing projects which are never ever truly complete.

Whats worse is that I cant even enjoy stock cars anymore. It doesnt matter what kind of car it is, I will mod the car. First it starts with wheels and suspension, then bolt ons, and then I have another garage queen I can no longer drive. Thus why I've quit financing cars for myself. Is this hobby as addicting as sex? I mean really if I had invested 20k in ford last year instead of a measly 4k I would have made almost 6 figures in my return. But I chose to put that extra cash into car parts and other vehicle accesories or even tools.

Sorry for the long rant, but Im sure someone else on this board feels the way I do.... addicted-This is the story of my life and I'm only 19. Sometimes I feel like I miss out on a lot of shit because I'm only really thinking about one thing. lol I still love it and wouldnt have it any other way.

ericcastro
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
So Eric when you are the hospital dying you could ask yourself

"Man why did I waste so much time drifting, I never became pro" or
"Why did I spend my free time helping people with drifting when they just ended up stabbing me in the back" (you know who these "people" are).

LOL, my life story to this point is more then most people ever live in a lifetime, lol.
You can ask me all about it at the BBQ or the 2010 meet :)
And who wants to go pro?
I wanna win an Oscar and shoot photos for National Geographic.
Then once i am in a position of influence, help to change the world to a more positive place for humanity.
(as you can see my goals in life and all my energy and money goes into something i feel is bigger than "the best car parts") ;)

And as far as drifting, I always give back from what i take. Some people don't do the same, but you see how life is for them.
Me, I have so much support given back to me because of how much i give into it.
Karma ;)

Touge Noob S13
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
LOL, my life story to this point is more then most people ever live in a lifetime, lol.
You can ask me all about it at the BBQ or the 2010 meet :)
And who wants to go pro?
I wanna win an Oscar and shoot photos for National Geographic.
Then once i am in a position of influence, help to change the world to a more positive place for humanity.
(as you can see my goals in life and all my energy and money goes into something i feel is bigger than "the best car parts") ;)

And as far as drifting, I always give back from what i take. Some people don't do the same, but you see how life is for them.
Me, I have so much support given back to me because of how much i give into it.
Karma ;)

I see, I think we will have alot to talk about when we meet.

SuicidnS13
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I've yet to buy a new car which made me happy out of the box, this list includes 03 cobra, tt 350z and other expensive so called sports cars. Putting 20 to 30k into a custom is so much more rewarding when it comes to the driving experience.

But lately I've been eye balling some vacation packages to purchase this year. Which means I probably won't be doing any nodding this year. Some years you need a break while others you go all out with no comprises. I'm very much an extremest so when my family goes on vacation it costs more than 2 brand new sets of volk te37's in chrome. I love long vacations. My wife never complains which is another problem because it gives me full reign to go car nuts some years. I mean I still build on a budget but maybe I can tone the budget down. Or maybe I can find a way to enjoy spray painted Cars on sport max's. Well I guess I'll never resort to that. I guess I can just be thankful to have a job which supports me and my hobby. But if I didn't have it I wouldn't have to work all the hours...... Haha

DALAZ_68
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Karma ;)

and isnt that the conversation we had last weekend...lol

illvialuver
02-02-2010, 02:22 AM
this right here. or learn to put it on hold, ive done modding for 2 years out of high school where i was working at a pizzeria making bank.. i had no bills and could afford it, once i went back to college car gets put on hold, if it sits for now, who cares? im working toward a better future

cars should just be a part of a person's life, not the whole thing

I think that is just an opinion and not a fact. I think it is all perspective. And to some cars and the fun or joy they bring them are the finer things in life.

deadghost
02-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Worst year of my life was with my first car as on how I splurged on it and devoured my myself, and my financial resources, I was like a crack addict with OCD. Well I fucked that over, and myself in the process. Figured I needed a brake but kept my ambitions, saved up and managed to pull it off with my coupe, had money put aside for each project or modification on the car, took my time, no rush, had money for other things as a result from my patience, learned to budget my assets. The best time of my life till this point was working in my garage after work/weekends every summer on my car with my buds, had some cold beers, talked the nights away, threw a get together, wrenched on the coupe at the same time, and kicked it after words.Nearly broke my back but It was the best. One my best friends would just had me over his parts on the fact that it brought such a positive impact on my character, he gave me his brembo calipers.

wangan_cruiser
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
set the car aside and move on. then come back and work on it again when you actually done things what u really wanted to do.

Bubbles
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
What are the finer things in life?

Just curious.

ericcastro
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
What are the finer things in life?

Just curious.

http://alblog1.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/santori_perrinpost.jpg

and a picture of the man enjoying the finer things in life
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/101709/murraybar2.jpg
I usually have a bottle of Laphroaig at home for company or just chillin.
(for those that spend moneyon cars and dont know their scotch, or are under 26, its the green and white bottle, 2nd from right on top )
thats an extra couple hundred a year right there.
But I like to have some scotch around.
What would happen in Bill came to my house, and i was unprepared!!

SuicidnS13
02-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Vacations, heck weekend dates to the movies or an occasional club night out. When you've done them before you tend to miss these things even when ur driving around in your awesome project car. I hate the phone calls from the clubs and my friends are out having a bash but my girl and I decided to stay home and save to money for some stupid car parts which are allready overpriced due to the brandnames. Shoulda just went out fist pumping!

DALAZ_68
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Vacations, heck weekend dates to the movies or an occasional club night out. When you've done them before you tend to miss these things even when ur driving around in your awesome project car. I hate the phone calls from the clubs and my friends are out having a bash but my girl and I decided to stay home and save to money for some stupid car parts which are allready overpriced due to the brandnames. Shoulda just went out fist pumping!

i just dont get the whole club thing...its to annoying to me, id rather chill out at a friends...bump some beats, have friends over, girls...simple, honestly so much more fun to me...ive been to a few clubs, with different friends, and previous girlfriends and shit...never could enjoy myself...

as far as bars go....once in a while ill go, but most of the time...no...lol
especially when you get the hot dumb bitches tryin to get youto buy em drinks...and its easy to tell when there flirting in all good intentions, or there on there last couple bucks and they want you to buy em something to drink...fuck that...lol

i think im already at the phase in my life where im done with those type of girls and that scene...it was fun for a brief period, but i got really bored of it real soon...

all in all its finding a medium between it all...

no slide
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
have a baby...that'll distract you from the pesky car hobby for a while ;)
it doesnt seem to have stopped you. you got new wheels and 5 lug conversion lol. and coilovers on the way...maybe you should have more kids :werd:

Slidin' Sam
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I definately gave up cable, internet, home phone, and even cell phone (just have a prepaid phone which never has minutes on it). I eat a lot of ramen and force my girlfriend to do the same. I pinch pennies just about everywhere just to keep building my car/racing.

S14DB
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I usually have a bottle of Laphroaig at home for company or just chillin.
(for those that spend moneyon cars and dont know their scotch, or are under 26, its the green and white bottle, 2nd from right on top )
thats an extra couple hundred a year right there.
But I like to have some scotch around.
What would happen in Bill came to my house, and i was unprepared!!

OK dirt breath...

To the OP post:
But, if you enjoy other things more then cars. Why not spend your money on it and not cars? Sounds more like learning how to prioritize things. Rather then dreaming about over priced crap.

SuicidnS13
02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I definately gave up cable, internet, home phone, and even cell phone (just have a prepaid phone which never has minutes on it). I eat a lot of ramen and force my girlfriend to do the same. I pinch pennies just about everywhere just to keep building my car/racing.

You my friend are definately missing out...

dahveed
02-02-2010, 07:45 PM
hm. reading all the shit in this thread convinced me to go to coachella! I was gonna save up for a 5lug conversion/wheels and all that jazz, but fucckkthat! haha. I'll probably buy the 3day pass as well :)

TwelveAM
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Have not experienced the hobby in owning a car, but have experienced it collecting shoes, and for a fact know that it kept me away from experiencing a lot more things.

BustedS13
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Have not experienced the hobby in owning a car, but have experienced it collecting shoes, and for a fact know that it kept me away from experiencing a lot more things.

are you a woman?

VIPDRFT
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Nope. Perks of the military.

RB24_S14
02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Im 18 and I work just to finish my car. I have to get my priorities straight. Damn college why does it have to be expensive..

tricky_ab
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't smoke or really drink so I'm fine with purchasing car parts. I have sold my last ride as I'm saving up with my fiance for a house so I have to keep my eye on the prize (of home ownership). While I owned it I would buy what I could afford...If I had to save for a few months for some quality goods then so be it...

I'm not scared to drop money on things I need (whatever it might be) as you work in order to make money. You should be smart with it and enjoy it as well...

Iron_Zenki
02-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Im 18 and I work just to finish my car. I have to get my priorities straight. Damn college why does it have to be expensive..

I am with you bro in college(Masters in Architecture) right now flooded with payments
:wtc:
So one day I can afford all the goodies for my car and have a great life no regrets :D

LB.Motoring
02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
waiting for freestylegtr to post.....................

SC_S13
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm selling my two tone...before I even got to enjoy any of the 6k worth of parts I bought for it.
Definitely was an obsession that took my money, but also took most of my time. After a couple strokes of bad luck with the car, its hard for me to get started on it again. I'm probably going to take a leave from the s-chassis game until I have my bachelors degree next year and hopefully a good job.

KA-T_240
02-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Cars+College+Racing+Work= No GF :(

sentiumprogram
02-15-2010, 01:44 AM
For me. I considered the car hobby as a space filler

Personally, working full time kept me from enjoying life in my 20's
I have to work to pay for school & rent.
so Im a night schooler
School & work ruined my social life
not cars
I work on cars when I dont spend time with friends

Now I know what its like when you have to work for what you want. It was a trade off for me.

SochBAT
02-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Whats a life?

turtl631
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Wow, scary thread. This really does explain a lot about 240 guys at meets. It's just a car guys...if it gets to the point where you have to think about your priorities, they're surely out of order already. FWIW, I understand really wanting to mod your car. The first 3 cars I ever owned were all zenki S14s and I spent quite a bit of time working on them and driving. That was mostly a good thing though...sure the GF got pissed occasionally, but wanting to earn money for car parts kept me working part-time all through college, when I would have otherwise just wasted that time. I ended up with a lot of tools, knowledge, and skills too, as well as a few 240sx e-friends. My last car was stolen and I don't have time for a modified car now anyways so I got a E36 M3 and I'm enjoying having a fast-ish stock car. Hopefully I'll be back in a 240SX again in a few years as a track car, but if not...eh? There's lots of other cars out there, and other hobbies too. When a hobby gets so consuming that you feel the need to step back and ask questions about it, it's probably already taking up way too much of time and attention.